PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis

mingus
09-16-2014, 02:54 AM
Anybody else experience this?

If you don't know about it just google it. It's pretty weird stuff. Basically, you go to sleep and wake up paralyzed from the neck down and can have auditory and/or visual hallucinations.

It happens to me invariably whenever I sleep on my back. I always avoided sleeping on my back because the hallucinations were always negative and frightening (eg hearing children/babies crying, weird monster growling noises, basically poltergeist shit LOL). But like it or not i end up on my back sometimes. BUT, this last time it happened, it was actually quite cool. At the beginning I started hearing and seeing scary shit, but I managed to suppress it and after I did I started hearing a symphony of beautiful music. It was awesome. Then it turned into a pretty awesome guitar noise.

Am I the only weirdo in here that gets this shit? Everybody I talk to about gives me a crazy look LOL, and wondering if anyone can share some experiences if they get it.

Huey Freeman
09-16-2014, 03:01 AM
This sounds horrible my man tbh. I suffer from sleep insomnia (as you can see), so I know about sleep disorders, but damn man.

mingus
09-16-2014, 03:07 AM
One other time it was pretty cool though. It's not ALL bad. I was studying for a test in college, fell asleep on my back. Woke up paralyzed, and saw all my notes in front of me verbatim as well as portions of the book I was reading. Studied for a couple hours as I was paralyzed with hallucination notes and book.

Death In June
09-16-2014, 03:51 AM
I also get this, though not lately. I usually hear people whispering in other rooms and acoustic guitar strings being plucked. Every now and then I see silhouettes or a black mass. It only lasts for what seems to be a minute or so before I can get up. I'm usually only semi aware that it's happening. According to my wife, I sometimes mutter for help (more of a grunt) in getting up a few seconds before I do. My eyes are closed according to her, but I can see the bedroom very clearly. It's kind of hard to distinguish it from a dream. That's all it may end up being, but the quality of awareness and not moving makes it unique in comparison to my other dreams. That and an intense humming/ringing/vibrating in my ears that gets louder until I can move again.

z0sa
09-16-2014, 04:53 AM
This happened to me the one time I slept after doing ice. yeah, judge me whotttttt style, whatever everyone experiments.. tell you what, though, that one experience made me never wanna do another upper again.

I woke up, couldn't move, felt and heard sounds like my ass was being abducted by aliens, and the bed was shaking. Lasted about 10 seconds. My dog was on the foot of the bed and never moved an inch - after it was all over I grabbed that bitch, not even lying lol. But to me that was proof enough it was all in my head. Like I said, never touched another upper again in my fuckin life, and never will.

benefactor
09-16-2014, 06:06 AM
It used to happen when I was a kid...which led to a prolong fear of the dark during my childhood. I heard growling noises as well and heard footsteps in my room and sometimes it felt like someone was walking around me on the bed. I often wondered if the house we lived in was haunted because of it.

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2014, 07:00 AM

If you don't know about it just google it. It's pretty weird stuff. Basically, you go to sleep and wake up paralyzed from the neck down and can have auditory and/or visual hallucinations.

It happens to me invariably whenever I sleep on my back. I always avoided sleeping on my back because the hallucinations were always negative and frightening (eg hearing children/babies crying, weird monster growling noises, basically poltergeist shit LOL). But like it or not i end up on my back sometimes. BUT, this last time it happened, it was actually quite cool. At the beginning I started hearing and seeing scary shit, but I managed to suppress it and after I did I started hearing a symphony of beautiful music. It was awesome. Then it turned into a pretty awesome guitar noise.

Am I the only weirdo in here that gets this shit? Everybody I talk to about gives me a crazy look LOL, and wondering if anyone can share some experiences if they get it.

It's called smoking mushrooms dude....:lol seriously I've experienced a paralysis before as I tried to wake up. My eyes open and I'm trying to speak and I can't... I'm making inaudible moaning sounds....so I start trying to mumble "help me Jesus help me Jesus"....and I figure if I can just utter Jesus name the paralysis will go away...I'm finally able to barely utter the word J-e-es-us and the nightmare is over. Finally I jump up breathing real hard as if I just finished a race...I always thought it was a spirit or demonic experience based on some bad I had done in my life...now I sleep with a Bible next to my bed.

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2014, 07:02 AM
I had a homeboy who said that a demon jacked him off in his sleep once.

Fabbs
09-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Not like you. But i have gone thru shitty dream stretches.
So i experimented with playing music that was soothing to see if / how this would affect my dreams.
It did affect them for the better.

You would have to set up your music system to loop.

djohn2oo8
09-16-2014, 10:09 AM
I had a homeboy who said that a demon jacked him off in his sleep once.

So you jack your homeboys off in their sleep as a hobby?

djohn2oo8
09-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Sleep Paralysis sucks.

DD
09-16-2014, 10:13 AM
I used to get this when I did e back in college. I would wake up from a dream and not be able to open my eyes or move--and I was cognizant of the fact that I was trapped. Eerie stuff

Blake
09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Damn.

How long does the paralysis last? What's the longest it's lasted?

baseline bum
09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Everyone who doesn't sleepwalk gets paralysis while asleep. I used to get that half awake half asleep sleep paralysis maybe 10 years ago, and it always sucked. It was the same thing every time: the fan in my room sounded like an industrial fan in a warehouse (I always slept with the fan on to drown out sound from the street) and just laid there unable to do shit.

pubic hair
09-16-2014, 12:05 PM
I was going to make a thread about this, first let me say I don't really believe in shit like this AT ALL! I think when we die we are fucking worm food, but I can't explain this dream I had the other night. I literately talked to a family member who passed a while back. It was SO FUCKING VIVID! I had to researched it online. I know my credibility here is not the best with the name pubic hair and so little post counts but this shit was fucking CRAZY! So i'm rethinking my user name after this dream and make step into something more Holy.

http://mindfuldreamer.com/visitation-dreams/

pubic hair
09-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Are Visitation Dreams Really Possible?There is no scientific evidence that visitation dreams are actually possible. But that does not mean they are impossible! Ask any of the thousands of people who have had visitation dreams, and you will find that many people believe they are indeed real. There are also many well respected and well known psychics who will tell you that communicating with the dead in our dreams is very much indeed possible.
One of the common beliefs that the reason we have visitation dreams is because the dream world bridges the gap between the living and the spiritual worlds, making it easier for passed on loved ones to communicate with us.
However, there are also many beliefs that visitation dreams are not real, but more of a release dream, remembering the good things about a person, or expressing our love/sorrow for a person.
To help you understand the difference between visitation dreams and other dreams, I have decided to write a comprehensive post on this topic that will help you better understand the meaning of your dream of a deceased person.
A Few Examples of Visitation Dreams:My first visitation dream was when I was six or seven years old. I don’t really remember all the details of the dreams (it has been over two decades since the dream now!) – but I do remember my grandmother coming to me, telling me she loved me, and saying Good-bye. She didn’t actually say good-bye, but I knew in the dream that was why she was there.
I woke up, knowing she was gone. Sure enough a few minutes later my mother called the house to let us know what I already knew from my dream.
My second visitation dream happened when I was 12 and involves my other grandmother, who called me on the telephone and left a message on the answering machine in the dream (yes, we still had answering machines back then!). It gave me a feeling of great love and excitement to hear from her. She was very clearly leaving me a message!
Since then, I’ve had a number of different visitation dreams, mostly from relatives and close friends who have passed on. In every visitation dream, there have always been some very clear characteristics of the dream for me to know it was truly a visitation dream and not just a release dream.
Some of the Common Characteristics of Visitation Dreams:To help you identify whether your dream is indeed a visitation dream or just a regular release dream, I made a list of some of the common characteristics of visitation dreams.
The Dream Makes Total Logical and Sequential Sense: Dreams don’t always make sense in the order of things happening. In a release dream for example, you might be flying one minute to driving a car the next. You don’t see yourself go from flying to driving – you just are. In visitation dreams however it is different. Things are very logical and sequential. In one dream for example, I very logically walked down a street, then through a tunnel to where the deceased person was.
The Dream is Vivid and Feels Very Real: A visitation dream will feel like it’s really happening and you will feel as if you are awake during the dream and aware of everything happening in the dream. If you have ever had a lucid dream, you will see some very similar characteristics. The dream will be very life-like and real feeling.
The Person Will Be Well: To dream of someone sick/injured usually means you are not having a visitation dream. This is because once someone passes away, they no longer have a body that can get sick or injured, and they have been reconnected with the energy of the universe. You will likely see them as they appeared in normal every day life.
There is Usually a Very Clear Message: Most of the time we will get messages of reassurance and love from those who have passed on. Occasionally we will get other messages, which we certainly should not ignore. After all, it takes a great amount of energy for someone’s spirit to communicate with you. The message is usually quite clear and obvious – no need to waste time or energy! That is why my grandmother left a message on the machine, to ensure I would know she was trying to communicate with me. Sometimes, you will also just “know” in the dream the message, as I did with the first dream of my grandmother.
You Will Know it Is Not Just a Memory: You will usually feel a feeling that says “that was really them” – not just a memory of the person. If you feel like the dream was just remembering that person, it was probably not a true visitation dream.
You Will Wake Up With Feeling of Love and Peace: You will wake up with a sense of peace and love when you have a visitation dream.
How to Be Open to Having Visitation DreamsIf you are wondering how to have a visitation dream, there are some things you can do to help open yourself up to communicating with a loved one who has passed away. This is called “programming your dreams” and it is a good habit to do at night anyways, even when you are not looking to have a visitation dream.
Practice Meditation Before Bed: Meditation can greatly help you with calming your body and soul to help you be more open to receiving your dreams. Guided meditation can help you get started with meditation if you have never tried it before. You can also just try some deep breathing exercises which will help relax your body and your mind.
Affirm You are Open to Communicating With the Person: Sometimes you need to say affirmations that you want to see the person. This is because subconsciously you may be unsure or afraid of having such as dream. Say to yourself, “I am open to dreaming about [insert person here] and would like to receive a message from them” or another similar affirmation. It may take several attempts, but after several nights or weeks, this will increase your likelihood of dreaming about the person.
Have you had a visitation dream? What was your experience? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

mingus
09-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Damn.

How long does the paralysis last? What's the longest it's lasted?

I can't say for sure. It feels like a long time. And usually if it happens it continues to happen through the night even if I fall back asleep on my side. For all I know it could be 5 minutes or hours. My concept of time is hazy when it's going on.

Supposedly it's the explanation for why people think they've been abducted or probed or whatever.

A couple years back I had one that was particularly scary, so after that I started sleeping with my dog to see if his presence would make it any more peaceful. It did but I woke up paralyzed one night and heard him "talking" to me. LOL.

FkLA
09-16-2014, 07:47 PM
I can control my dreams most of the time, like if I'm having a shitty one I'll tell myself this is a dream so wake up...the times I'm not able to wake myself up I go into this I think. Its like I'm battling with myself to wake up and feel trapped bc Im not able to--usually yelling for help too. Just a couple of months ago those yells actually made it to real life (first time) and scared the shit out of the gf. :lol

There's never any creepy noises/images though just my own struggle to wake up. That other creepy shit sounds terrible tbh.

Strange Love
09-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Sounds like scary shit. Waking up and being paralyzed is bad enough but you add creepy and disturbing sounds to it?

Isn't there a medication you could take for it? Is this chronic? Does it happen EVERY time you fall asleep on your back?

TE
09-16-2014, 08:23 PM
I only get that when I sleep in the prone position (face down). I'll wake up and I can't feel shit. This doesn't happen much though. Maybe once a year.

mingus
09-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Sounds like scary shit. Waking up and being paralyzed is bad enough but you add creepy and disturbing sounds to it?

Isn't there a medication you could take for it? Is this chronic? Does it happen EVERY time you fall asleep on your back?

Yup, every time.

The dilemma I have is that when I don't sleep on my back, my sinuses get really clogged. I was born with abnormally small sphenoid sinus cavities (sinuses behind nose and eyes), and so drainage is an issue for me. But when I sleep on my back I have little if any congestion, puffiness, head pressure, headaches etc.

I don't know if there's a way to solve the paralysis issue. I'll probably look more into seeing how because of the sinus issues I mentioned I'm starting to make an effort to sleep on my back. I'm hoping that maybe the more my body gets used to it it'll just go away. If it persists, then I'll definitely look for some kind of help.