PDA

View Full Version : Popovich's plan: Spurs move past perfection

ace3g
09-17-2014, 09:19 PM
SAN ANTONIO — If you took a right out of Gregg Popovich's office in the practice facility last season, and you walked past the offices of the assistant coaches, you couldn't miss it.

Straight ahead, prominently displayed on a wall, was a framed picture of the Game 6 scoreboard.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Popovich-s-plan-Spurs-move-past-perfection-5763131.php?cmpid=twitter-premium&t=a3e0afb0e2ebaa2aab

Arcadian
09-17-2014, 11:00 PM
OK, now we're the Celtics of the '80s?

Actually yes, the current Spurs could compete with those Celtics.

Uriel
09-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Great read. Buck Harvey is probably the best Spurs columnist around, which is surprising, considering he writes for the Express-News. :tu

Dex
09-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Always loved Buck articles. :tu

Unfortunately, Pop is wrong.

This team is not the Celtics of the 80s.

It is the Spurs of the 1999s-2020s. :smokin

JR3
09-18-2014, 12:11 AM
Fun to read.

admiralsnackbar
09-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Subtext is clear: talent is there, but can it be motivated again? As a fan, I hope so, but...

ElNono
09-18-2014, 03:57 AM
Last season was indeed perfection. I don't know if you can surpass that, but at least I'm glad they have the hardware to show for it.

I don't know if they'll get it together again in time this season, but it's a season to sit back and enjoy Timmy and Manu on what could be their final year, while also admiring the growth of Kawhi and the rest of the young guys. If they can top it off with another championship, that will be great, if not, I'm sure it'll be a hell of a ride anyways.

spursparker9
09-18-2014, 06:14 AM
Well imo the only real contenders are Spurs, Cavaliers and Thunders.

Spurs still have a great chance to win it all this coming season.

100%duncan
09-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Pop never ceases to amaze me.

tmtcsc
09-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Well imo the only real contenders are Spurs, Cavaliers and Thunders.

Spurs still have a great chance to win it all this coming season.

Did you forget about the Bulls or do you think they just won't be in the mix? They are my pick to come out of the East. OKC is old news and will be taken out before even reaching the WCF this year.

tmtcsc
09-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Great read. Buck Harvey is probably the best Spurs columnist around, which is surprising, considering he writes for the Express-News. :tu

Always loved Buck articles. :tu

It is the Spurs of the 1999s-2020s. :smokin

I'm probably in the minority but I've never cared for his writing style. However, this article was pretty fresh and actually involved some effort. Nice job.

I particularly liked this part: And after the Spurs lost Game 2 to the Heat? They reacted as they hadn't before.

“There was a different mantra,” Popovich said. “Boarding the plane, before practices, during shootaround, we said, 'We came here to win two.' We totally believed at that point. We thought we were better.”

I felt this way after we lost Game 6 and throughout the season and playoffs. The Spurs were the class of the NBA in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. 2012 wasn't so much a Finals loss as it was a giveaway.

lefty
09-18-2014, 08:06 AM
"great read"

FkLA
09-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Pop is the GOAT.

spursparker9
09-18-2014, 08:21 AM
:bang

Pop still haven't reveal what he told Kawhi after game 2 of the finals.

Silver&Black
09-18-2014, 08:43 AM
:bang

Pop still haven't reveal what he told Kawhi after game 2 of the finals.

"That's family business"

spursparker9
09-18-2014, 08:51 AM
"That's family business"

Damn! Pop gonna take this to his grave?

Silver&Black
09-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Damn! Pop gonna take this to his grave?

Without a doubt....got a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa's body, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness monster.

ducks
09-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I think spurs repeat they never have and that will fuel this team

rjv
09-18-2014, 10:35 AM
i just think they need to use the fuel of cementing the legacy of this era with the one accomplishment which has eluded them: the back-to-back championship. that, and of course, the fact that the sun is setting on this era.

cd98
09-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Actually yes, the current Spurs could compete with those Celtics.

Actually, I wonder if this is Pop's subtle dig that the Spurs have yet to repeat, like the Celtics and most of the other great teams. If there is an angle this season it's to prove that No. 5 was no fluke by winning No. 6 in a repeat.

cd98
09-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Did you forget about the Bulls or do you think they just won't be in the mix? They are my pick to come out of the East. OKC is old news and will be taken out before even reaching the WCF this year.

The way Rose is shooting, I'm not sure they can beat the Cavs or even other teams on the bench, like the Wizards. I've not seen Morotic, so I don't know how much of an improvement he will be, but Gasol has not been good for a few years. Sure, I'd take him on the Spurs, but I've seen Diaw shut him down for two years, so he's not someone I'd be particularly afraid to face. Other than that, most of the Bull players can defend and not shoot. I don't think that is good enough. Old Mantra: Defense wins titles. New Mantra: Ball movement combined with outstanding outside shooting wins titles.

ginobilized
09-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Love that the picture of the 13 point lead was framed. Brilliant motivation and coaching.
Looking forward to another season and another chance to rebound from a championship run with more fire.

09-18-2014, 02:15 PM
If Pop wants motivation, just have Duncan and Ginobili announce that this will be their last season.

gnsf0946
09-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Actually, I wonder if this is Pop's subtle dig that the Spurs have yet to repeat, like the Celtics and most of the other great teams. If there is an angle this season it's to prove that No. 5 was no fluke by winning No. 6 in a repeat.

80's Celtics didn't repeat.

baseline bum
09-18-2014, 03:05 PM

I have certainly forgotten about the Bulls after Rose became this era's Grant Hill. Now the Clippers should be on that title contenders list though.

peacemaker885
09-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Pop's motivation? Get more rings than Phil Jackson while being on the same team.

09-18-2014, 03:41 PM
If Pop wants motivation, just have Duncan and Ginobili announce that this will be their last season.
tbh

Fireball
09-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Did you forget about the Bulls or do you think they just won't be in the mix? They are my pick to come out of the East. OKC is old news and will be taken out before even reaching the WCF this year. From what I saw in the FIBA WC I am no sold on Rose ... his outside shot looked bad, and if he has to fully rely on his athleticism his body might betray him again ...

Mikeanaro
09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Great move by Pop, I wonder whats next now that confidence is high since they won it all.

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 05:42 PM
The Bulls as contenders?:lmao:lmao..

Bulls and Clippers, the most overhyped off-season champions for the past 2-3 years, tbh..

There are 3.5 contenders, nobody else has a chance, this is the NBA, not the NFL..

timtonymanu
09-18-2014, 05:54 PM
The offensively challenged Bulls who have a coach that runs his players into the ground are suddenly title contenders?!

I'm over believing that Rose will ever go back to MVP form and while Pau is better than Boozer, hes nowhere close to MVPau anymore.

DAF86
09-18-2014, 06:12 PM
If I was Pop I would make a compilation of all the times somebody of note talked about the Spurs never being able to repeat starting with Phill Jackson's quote about how the Spurs aren't a dynasty.

DAF86
09-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Bulls and Clippers, the most overhyped off-season champions for the past 2-3 years, tbh..

There are 3.5 contenders, nobody else has a chance, this is the NBA, not the NFL..

Spurs, OKC, Lebron and who else?

spurs10
09-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks for posting this article. A great one.

ElNono
09-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Spurs, OKC, Lebron and who else?

Dallas...

DAF86
09-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Dallas...

Mmh, yeah... not sure about that one.

ElNono
09-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Mmh, yeah... not sure about that one.

That's why 0.5, imo

ElNono
09-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Maybe he's talking about the Warriors... an intriguing team now that they should have a fairly decent coach...

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Clippers are the 0.5 contender, although realistically, they will probably never win a title(leading player is a loser, coach is average)..

baseline bum
09-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Clippers are the 0.5 contender, although realistically, they will probably never win a title(leading player is a loser, coach is average)..

Why is Blake a loser?

exstatic
09-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Psst. Bird's Celtics never repeated, and he has only 3 rings.

tmtcsc
09-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Yes - the Bulls. The same team that made the playoffs and essentially added 2 former all-stars to the roster. It may take Rose a while to get his groove back but he's actually put in the effort and work to get there. He'll be fine if he can stay healthy.

Pau Gasol isn't what he used to be but he'll get plenty of shots and chances to do what he does best. Don't sleep on 'em, they will be a tough out in the East.

If the Spurs stay healthy, I see no reason why they don't repeat. I bet the Grizzlies give the Thunder and Clippers a run for 2nd best in the West. Not sure about the Warriors. For some reason that team just doesn't concern me when it comes to matching up with the Spurs.

cd98
09-18-2014, 08:19 PM
80's Celtics didn't repeat.

My mistake.

T Park
09-18-2014, 09:06 PM
I have certainly forgotten about the Bulls after Rose became this era's Grant Hill. Now the Clippers should be on that title contenders list though.

They arent mentally tough enough. Paul, Barnes, many others.

TD 21
09-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Yeah, nothing's changed the past four seasons now: Either one of the two best individuals win or the best team does.

The vast majority think the Bulls are contenders if Rose returns to '11 form, but even then, they still don't have a secondary creator on the wings to take the load off of him. Sure, Gasol upgrades Boozer, but Boozer already did many of the same things offensively. Also, the rebounding edge they have over most teams won't exist against the Cavs.

I don't even know if the Clippers deserve a half. They too haven't addressed their biggest need (size, athleticism and defense on the wings) and still don't match-up well with the Spurs or Thunder. Their only hope is to get the 1 seed, have the other two wear each other down in the 2nd round and hope one of the key players emerges at least hobbled.

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 09:21 PM
I give the Clippers 0.5 contender credentials, because:

- They could realistically get the #1 seed and have the Spurs-Thunder battle each other in round 2, as TD21 said

- The Spurs are going to be on their 3rd straight run to the Finals(Pop is the best at managing minutes, but still, 3 straight runs to the Finals is extremely difficult to accomplish)

- OKC could implode at any point, with Durant/Westbrook's emerging free agency + Scott Brooks

I believe they're too flawed to actually win the title(Paul isn't aggressive enough, their perimeter players are really bad, and their 2nd/3rd bigs are unreliable), but I think they're clearly above the rest of the league outside of the Spurs/Thunder/Cavs, tbh..

baseline bum
09-18-2014, 09:31 PM
They arent mentally tough enough. Paul, Barnes, many others.

And at one time Robinson and Elliott weren't either.

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 09:32 PM
I think Thibodeau is a better offensive coach than he's given credit for, the Bulls actually run solid offensive sets that promote ball movement(they have been one of the least talented offensive teams in the NBA the past 2 years), and I think his "overplaying" players is overblown, but they still have some major flaws:

- Rose is no longer a notable player, but he's still going to be a high usage PG

So, the majority of the possessions are going to be allocated to Rose running the offense, which is something they can't avoid, because that's his style of play..he can't play off the ball, as he isn't accustomed to it and he's a mediocre shooter..

If the player with the highest usage in your offense is an inefficient PG that can't shoot, has lost most of his explosiveness and can't play off the ball..well, ya, you're going to struggle

- Gasol is really overrated at this point of his career..

In his prime and for his career, he's one of the most underrated players of my lifetime, but he isn't the same player..he's just an average post player, at this point, and for a team that desperately needs shot creators, he's not good enough to command responsibility as a top 2 option IMO

- They don't have any other creators..

Literally, no other players on the roster can create a shot for themselves:lol..

Noah is a great passer, but running your offense through him is a gimmick that will fail during the playoffs, as we saw last year, where he was completely outplayed by both Nene and Gortat..it's fine during the regular season when opposing teams are half-assing their defensive strategies, but once the playoffs begin and coaches actually game plan, it's a failed strategy..

Butler and Gibson are really good role players, but limited offensively..Hinrich is awful, Mirotic and McDermott are question marks, etc..

Chicago will compete well and they could be the 2nd best team in the East, but they aren't a contender..great defense, Gasol/Noah will be an elite passing combination during the regular season, they're deep with solid role players, but they're going to be exposed in the playoffs once again as a team that doesn't have offensive talent..

100%duncan
09-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Uh no the Bulls aren't contenders. Get your heads outta your asses this ain't 2011 anymore, and even then there was no way they could get past Bron and Peak Wade.

Dingle Barry
09-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Which is why they needed to play with a top 10 great to ring.

daslicer
09-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Spurs will win 55-60 plus games this year but the motivation might be hard to find to go all way again. This title has a lot more euphoria than the other 4 did. Also the big 3's legacies are now set after winning this title so winning anymore from this point on is just gravy. I have even said it to myself does it get any better than this current title. I'm sure Pop has the same thoughts just how do you top what happened this year and comeback with motivation to go out and do it again. What is there to prove now that you have 5 along with the media finally giving you respect. Spurs can win back to back there is only probably 2 or 3 teams out there that can get in their way but it will still be difficult.

TD 21
09-19-2014, 05:32 PM
The Clippers are definitely above the rest of the league outside of the big three and in the regular season, they can hang with them too (so can the Bulls); but the playoffs are a different story.

Even though it all sounds realistic and attainable, like the Pacers last season, I just can't imagine them actually doing it.

I think Thibodeau is a better offensive coach than he's given credit for and I think his "overplaying" players is overblown

I agree that he's better offensively than he's given credit for, but I don't see how his overplaying players is overblown.

- Rose is no longer a notable player

As bad as he looked last season and in the World Cup, it's still too soon to say with any certainty.

has lost most of his explosiveness

He still looked ultra explosive to me, which makes his beyond awful play all the more perplexing.

Literally, no other players on the roster can create a shot for themselves:lol..

Brooks can. But he won't be a rotation player if they're healthy, because of Thibodeau and the organization's affinity for Hinrich.

Mirotic and McDermott are question marks, etc..

Despite the hype, Mirotic will probably get the Mohammed treatment: The first four minutes of the 2nd quarter just to somewhat pacify him. No way that maniac carves out an actual rotation spot for him with a top three of Noah, Gasol and Gibson.

He'll probably want out by the end of the season and be the centerpiece of a trade for a secondary scorer/creator on the wings.

look_at_g_shred
09-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Should be a huge blowup poster of Allen's 3.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Realistically, given a healthy post season by all teams, this year's champion will come out of the West, and it should be either SA or OKC. Everyone else has weaknesses that one or both of these two teams should exploit.

T Park
10-15-2014, 02:08 AM

Took getting a Duncan to help get them over the top. No Duncan's in LA.

IronheadSpur
10-15-2014, 02:54 PM
This core group of Spurs is one of the greatest and most special groups in basketball history, and this might be the last chance they ever have to play together. Make the most of it.

How's that for motivation?