PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: LOL Kobe lost in 1-on-1 matchup to a Chinese midget

Splits
09-18-2014, 12:42 AM
:lmao washed up scrub can't even compete with Chinese high-schoolers
:lmao "bit his lip"

He can only contain himself for so long, though. Which brings us back to the one-on-one game against the Chinese teen, back on Wednesday night, four nights earlier, the one that went viral. The title of the video when it showed up on sports blogs was along the lines of “Kobe destroys Chinese fans at one-on-one!” It showed Bryant draining deep threes against a lanky kid, and it all fit in perfectly with the Kobe narrative. The Mamba Mythology.

Though rusty at first on the court with the young Chinese students, Bryant settled into his game and in the end gave the players and the fans their chance to see him up close.

Only that’s not what happened. What actually transpired was that Bryant became increasingly geeked as the night went on, watching all these kids chuck up jumpers. First he began dribbling a ball between his legs. Then he bit his lip. Then, when the show was supposed to be wrapping up, he grabbed the mike from the emcee. “They probably haven’t seen me play in a while, so we’ll do a little one-on-one game,” Kobe said, and this was true because no one had seen him play in over a year. Not Gotham. Not his handlers. “We used to call the game ‘sunrise’ in Philly,” Bryant continued. “Whoever scores stays on.”

The two emcees were surprised but went with it as Kobe extricated himself from his headset and took some practice shots. Then Bryant handpicked the three best opponents among the 30 campers and they began a rotating game of one-on-one, winner stays on, to five buckets. The crowd, as you can imagine, went bonkers. At first Kobe looked rusty. Really rusty. His jumpers hit the front iron. He threw up an air ball. He ended up backing down the kids and shooting five-foot jump hooks. It looked as if maybe his comeback was not as far along as advertised. Then, slowly, Bryant came alive. He sunk deep into a stance on D, he chased down long rebounds, pivoted and fired up high-arcing baseline fadeaways. Against a particularly *frenetic guard, he backed him down, then dribbled around the kid’s back and spun to score, sending the crowd and emcees into spasms of joy. This is what they came to see. As Kobe will explain later, “They want to know what it’s like to actually see it, up close. To have that experience.”

There was only one problem with the narrative: Kobe lost. This is the part you don’t see on the viral videos. He thought he had the game in hand, with four points tallied in a game to five. Then the tallest of the Chinese kids, wearing a number 10 jersey, sank an impressive 17-foot fadeaway bank shot on Kobe to score his third point. After which number 10 proceeded to score on the other two kids while Kobe watched helplessly from the sidelines. Ballgame. Some random Chinese kid just beat Kobe in a one-on-one contest.

Clearly, this could not stand. While the kid raised his arms in celebration, Kobe gave him exactly three courtesy claps before grabbing the mike again. He was no longer smiling, no longer jovial. “O.K., we’re going to play again,” Kobe announced. “First to five and we’ll play like I did growing up. Full court.” The two emcees looked both surprised and concerned. “Are you sure?” one asked. On the sideline Team Kobe stood up. Full court on a reconstructed knee? When Kobe hadn’t played competitively in almost a year? You could just see the headlines: kobe reinjures knee while taping bizarre chinese game show.

There was no dissuading Kobe, though. Similarly, there was no discussion about the other two kids from the previous game. They were shooed off the court. This was personal. So the campers cleared the floor for a showdown between one of the five greatest players in NBA history and a kid from Who-Knows-Where, China. Again Kobe started slow, missing his shot for outs, but it was clear that there was no way he was losing this time. At one point he blocked the kid’s shot out-of-bounds and, without pausing—and without regard for the rules—took possession himself. Then it happened. He nailed a 23-footer. Running back down the court, he started moving his shoulders. Feeling it. Then a 22-footer. Now Kobe was firing the finger guns, and licking his fingertips. A 26-footer followed and the place erupted. Then a 30-footer. Sure the lanky kid answered with a layup, and answered again with a three, but Kobe wasn’t really guarding him and it didn’t matter anyway. We all knew what was coming. And so on game point Bryant pivoted and pivoted again just above the free throw line and then faded that Kobe fade and unleashed that gooseneck follow-through and the ball splashed in and the crowd went berserk and the watching players pumped their fists while Kobe stood, arms outstretched as if he’d just won his sixth ring and not an informal game of one-on-one in Shanghai.

TDMVPDPOY
09-18-2014, 01:02 AM
sucking the chinese dick for the commie yuan, nothing to see here

kobe4life
09-18-2014, 01:22 AM
God was not even trying against this kid. God is a nice guy when it comes to his fans so he wanted to give this kid a great memory and also he was selling himself to China to make more money off of endorsements by allowing this kid to win.

AlexJones
09-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Jordan would've been giving it his all.

100%duncan
09-18-2014, 01:50 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

ambchang
09-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Original Source: http://www.si.com/longform/kobe/

It's from SI, so .....

A few observations:
1) It really explains why Kobe likes to do business in places like China and Saudi Arabia. The transparency in those places are non-existent, and any failures like these would have been covered up if it wasn't for a SI reporter being right there. Who knows how many times it had happened before? He may well have lost a number of 1-1 games vs. other Saudi kid and the media and team Kobe decide to shut it down, or even change the story entirely.

2) Kobe didn't play defense, and went all out on offense. Not unlike how he played in an NBA game.

3) Kobe kept shooting long range bombs and post ups, which is an indication that he couldn't even drive past some random Chinese kid and had to rely on his height to shoot over him

4) Kobe missed a lot of shots. No surprises there.

Finally:

So the campers cleared the floor for a showdown between one of the five greatest players in NBA history and a kid from Who-Knows-Where, China.

So who do you drop off the top 5 list to make room for Kobe?
1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Wilt
4) Russell
5) Duncan
6) Hakeem
7) Shaq
8) Moses
9) Magic
10) Bird
11) Lebron

At this point, Kobe is in the same realm as Jerry West, Garnett, and Dirk area. His advanced stats are shocking similar to Stockton's, who no one in their right minds will ever put in the top 10, let alone top 5.

Thread
09-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Boiled down:::

Amy & Battier doin' Tim face ass down in Texas.

tee, hee.

lefty
09-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Jordan would have bankrupted that kid's family business

Clipper Nation
09-18-2014, 09:54 AM
:lmao

Clipper Nation
09-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Amy & Battier doin' Tim face ass down in Texas.

tee, hee.

Tim liftin' #5.

Amy hopin' la migra doesn't deport the poverty illegal immigrant she cheated on Tim with.

Kirby gettin' his cookie taken by a Chinese midget & likin' it.

tee, hee.

Clipper Nation
09-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Jordan would have brought Stern and Pippen along to carry him.

Buddy Mignon
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
:lmao washed up scrub can't even compete with Chinese high-schoolers
:lmao "bit his lip"

There was no dissuading Kobe, though. Similarly, there was no discussion about the other two kids from the previous game. They were shooed off the court. This was personal. So the campers cleared the floor for a showdown between one of the five greatest players in NBA history and a kid from Who-Knows-Where, China. Again Kobe started slow, missing his shot for outs, but it was clear that there was no way he was losing this time. At one point he blocked the kid’s shot out-of-bounds and, without pausing—and without regard for the rules—took possession himself. Then it happened. He nailed a 23-footer. Running back down the court, he started moving his shoulders. Feeling it. Then a 22-footer. Now Kobe was firing the finger guns, and licking his fingertips. A 26-footer followed and the place erupted. Then a 30-footer. Sure the lanky kid answered with a layup, and answered again with a three, but Kobe wasn’t really guarding him and it didn’t matter anyway. We all knew what was coming. And so on game point Bryant pivoted and pivoted again just above the free throw line and then faded that Kobe fade and unleashed that gooseneck follow-through and the ball splashed in and the crowd went berserk and the watching players pumped their fists whileKobe stood, arms outstretched as if he’d just won his sixth ring and not an informal game of one-on-one in Shanghai.

Thread
09-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Tim liftin' #5.

Amy hopin' la migra doesn't deport the poverty illegal immigrant she cheated on Tim with.

Kirby gettin' his cookie taken by a Chinese midget & likin' it.

tee, hee.

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

Medvedenko
09-18-2014, 10:38 AM

It's from SI, so .....

A few observations:
1) It really explains why Kobe likes to do business in places like China and Saudi Arabia. The transparency in those places are non-existent, and any failures like these would have been covered up if it wasn't for a SI reporter being right there. Who knows how many times it had happened before? He may well have lost a number of 1-1 games vs. other Saudi kid and the media and team Kobe decide to shut it down, or even change the story entirely.

2) Kobe didn't play defense, and went all out on offense. Not unlike how he played in an NBA game.

3) Kobe kept shooting long range bombs and post ups, which is an indication that he couldn't even drive past some random Chinese kid and had to rely on his height to shoot over him

Finally:

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Wilt
4) Russell
5) Duncan
6) Hakeem
7) Shaq
8) Moses
9) Magic
10) Bird
11) Lebron

At this point, Kobe is in the same realm as Jerry West, Garnett, and Dirk area. His advanced stats are shocking similar to Stockton's, who no one in their right minds will ever put in the top 10, let alone top 5.

The fact that you wasted time on a resopnse shows what kind of idiot you really are. Trolling or not, you have to realize that no matter what you say Kobe's place in NBA stardom is solidified. Sorry bro, good luck with being an asshole.

ambchang
09-18-2014, 10:55 AM
The fact that you wasted time on a resopnse shows what kind of idiot you really are. Trolling or not, you have to realize that no matter what you say Kobe's place in NBA stardom is solidified. Sorry bro, good luck with being an asshole.

Please explain how me responding was a reflection of my idiocy. I am really interested in the train of thought on that one.

How was Kobe's place in the NBA solidified? By whom? What does that even mean?

Also, how is disagreeing being an asshole?

Essentially every single point you tried to make was lacking in any type of logic, or at least the logic is not apparent.

Venti Quattro
09-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Soon enough the whole United States will be losing to the Chinese 1-on-1 :depressed :(

Clipper Nation
09-18-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.
Your trends don't change this fact:::

Chinese Midget: 1

Kirby: 0

Let us proceed....

Medvedenko
09-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Please explain how me responding was a reflection of my idiocy. I am really interested in the train of thought on that one.

How was Kobe's place in the NBA solidified? By whom? What does that even mean?

Also, how is disagreeing being an asshole?

Essentially every single point you tried to make was lacking in any type of logic, or at least the logic is not apparent.

Easy, you're using an exhibition one on one game to disparage Kobe's nba career. So asinine it hurts my brain. Then comparing him to albeit good players like stock and dirk spouting bd advanced stars is revisionist history at its finest. You can have an opinion too bad it doesn't mean shit.

RsxPiimp
09-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Easy, you're using an exhibition one on one game to disparage Kobe's nba career. So asinine it hurts my brain. Then comparing him to albeit good players like stock and dirk spouting bd advanced stars is revisionist history at its finest. You can have an opinion too bad it doesn't mean shit.

Can't believe you fell for his bait, Med.

ambchang
09-18-2014, 12:00 PM

So how does that translates to idiocy? Even if true (and I don't agree it is), disparaging a basketball player's career isn't idiocy, nor is it an act of being an asshole.

What is wrong with comparing two players using advanced stats? They are shockingly similar. I never said Kobe is the same player as Stockton, I said Kobe's advanced stats are very similar to Stockton, and nobody would consider Stockton a top 10 player of all time. A person of your superior intellectual powers should be able to read that correctly.

And what's wrong with comparing Kobe to Dirk? Dirk carried a team nobody expected to make any damage in the playoffs to a championship, putting up fantastic numbers along the way, with no other notable 2nd fiddle to speak of. Kobe never did that. If anything, it should be a slap to Dirk's face.

Finally, he did play an exhibition game like he played in the NBA the last few years. Which part is not true? The one where he didn't play much defense, or the part where he missed a lot of shots?

Can't believe you fell for his bait, Med.

It's not a bait, it's straight from the heart son.

lefty
09-18-2014, 12:10 PM
https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/515116745.gif?1329007860

Thread
09-18-2014, 12:59 PM

Kirby: 0

Let us proceed....

I thought you didn't care to discuss your oriental heritage?

Killakobe81
09-18-2014, 01:08 PM

It's from SI, so .....

A few observations:

Finally:

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Wilt
4) Russell
5) Duncan
6) Hakeem
7) Shaq
8) Moses
9) Magic
10) Bird
11) Lebron

A lot of assumptions. Not sure if you have played with any pros before ...but when i have or have seen events like this none of the players drive hard unless wide open. Why would they risk injury driving when they can shoot? Even the drives i see are non-chalant cross overs or blow-bys when an over anxious defender "reaches". Kobe is old driving by these guys wouldnt prove anything anyway. I wont waste time disputing some of your other points ... and tbh who cares? Will any of this matter come the NBA season? It is funny that he lost ... but again your hate clouds your view on almost anything Kobe related.

Your posts when he is not the subject matter are so much better.

And LoL at your patented "no I dont hate Kobe" response. Stevie Wonder blindfolded, in a dark basement at night could see that you do. Again just admit it or just poke fun like CN does, no need to hide behind advanced metrics. Some dudes you just don't like. I dont like Wade, Dwight, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen. Ditto Bowen, McHale, Ainge. All of those guys are really good to great players. I just don't like 'em.

lefty
09-18-2014, 01:21 PM
No, KK, Ambchang really likes Kobe

See his older posts

ambchang
09-18-2014, 01:56 PM
A lot of assumptions. Not sure if you have played with any pros before ...but when i have or have seen events like this none of the players drive hard unless wide open. Why would they risk injury driving when they can shoot? Even the drives i see are non-chalant cross overs or blow-bys when an over anxious defender "reaches". Kobe is old driving by these guys wouldnt prove anything anyway. I wont waste time disputing some of your other points ... and tbh who cares? Will any of this matter come the NBA season? It is funny that he lost ... but again your hate clouds your view on almost anything Kobe related.

I haven't played against pros before, I am just not even close to those standards. But my impression of pros is that they can beat non-pros pretty handily, with or without driving to the hoop. And if they DO want to drive to the hoop, they can do so without much effort.

For example, Brian Scalabrine absolutely dominated the completition in a 1-1 challenge, and these are college players and such, not some random chumps who are playing overseas with no real coaching in his life. Scalabrine beat his competition 44-6.

Your posts when he is not the subject matter are so much better.

And LoL at your patented "no I dont hate Kobe" response. Stevie Wonder blindfolded, in a dark basement at night could see that you do. Again just admit it or just poke fun like CN does, no need to hide behind advanced metrics. Some dudes you just don't like. I dont like Wade, Dwight, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen. Ditto Bowen, McHale, Ainge. All of those guys are really good to great players. I just don't like 'em.

I kept saying, I have no problem with Kobe. If I meet him in person, I would even ask him for an autograph, and I won't sell it on ebay. I'd take a photo with him, and be very grateful if he chose to do so. I wouldn't even hold an ill will against him if he decided to ignore me because I understand how a person like him likely has a million autograph and photo requests a week.

What I have a problem with though, and I have said it before, is when a player is overrated. I am starting to argue against Lebron lately. It's a more difficult argument, because Lebron does put up huge stats, both advanced and basic and he is not being overrated like crazy, but when it comes a day people starts to call Lebron the greatest ever, then you can count on me arguing vehemently that he isn't. I don't have a problem with Lebron, and I think he is a once in a generation type of player, but I don't like players being blatantly overrated.

BTW, Stevie Wonder got great ears, he can "see" with his ears, I'm sure.

BTW2, the only player I dislike is pedo. I used to think I really hated Shaq, but as the years went on, it was me hating that he was overrated. Now that he is properly rated (or even underrated some), I don't have any issues anymore. The same is true against Kobe.

Thread
09-18-2014, 02:32 PM
No, KK, Ambchang really likes Kobe

See his older posts

The fat fuck.

Splits
09-18-2014, 03:41 PM

Kirby: 1*

*cheated by stealing a possession

Let us proceed....

Fixed.

AlexJones
09-18-2014, 03:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpc_kK6mt9w

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Not sure why ambchang still uses so many words on a semi-retired, currently irrelevant player, tbh:lol..

unforeseen
09-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Damn, I thought it was an article from The Onion.
:lol

Splits
09-18-2014, 05:24 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/17/article-2189646-14922655000005DC-16_634x504.jpg
http://videos.usatoday.net/Brightcove2/29906170001/2014/06/29906170001_3624585928001_Screen-Shot-2014-06-16-at-4-44-20-AM.jpg

Thread
09-18-2014, 05:26 PM
^Amy broke his hole, wide open.

Fabbs
09-18-2014, 05:37 PM
http://videos.usatoday.net/Brightcove2/29906170001/2014/06/29906170001_3624585928001_Screen-Shot-2014-06-16-at-4-44-20-AM.jpg
Nicely done.
:lol Kirby will never know what it's like to lead a team to a legit title.

unforeseen
09-18-2014, 06:07 PM
^Amy broke his hole, wide open.

Bend over, I'll break your hole, wide open.

ambchang
09-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Not sure why ambchang still uses so many words on a semi-retired, currently irrelevant player, tbh:lol..

I use many words around Moses Malone as well. Is that a problem?

lefty
09-18-2014, 08:17 PM
I use many words around Moses Malone as well. Is that a problem?
Did you try it around Magic?

ambchang
09-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Did you try it around Magic?

Not yet. I'm afraid.

scanry
09-18-2014, 09:49 PM
arm takes trolling Kobe very too seriously. Atleast CN humors us while doing it. I though mid did that too back in the days while bringing up advanced stats and stuff, but after Duncan rang #5, it became pointless cause Duncan has the tie breaker now.

Killakobe81
09-19-2014, 07:43 AM
arm takes trolling Kobe very too seriously. Atleast CN humors us while doing it. I though mid did that too back in the days while bringing up advanced stats and stuff, but after Duncan rang #5, it became pointless cause Duncan has the tie breaker now.

This.

Killakobe81
09-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Another great example of how to troll or ague against Kobe. Harlem (you) was the master at this back in the day ...

Killakobe81
09-19-2014, 07:47 AM
Damn, I thought it was an article from The Onion.

Also quality trollin' even if you were being sincere.

Killakobe81
09-19-2014, 07:49 AM
So how does that translates to idiocy? Even if true (and I don't agree it is), disparaging a basketball player's career isn't idiocy, nor is it an act of being an asshole.

What is wrong with comparing two players using advanced stats? They are shockingly similar. I never said Kobe is the same player as Stockton, I said Kobe's advanced stats are very similar to Stockton, and nobody would consider Stockton a top 10 player of all time. A person of your superior intellectual powers should be able to read that correctly.

And what's wrong with comparing Kobe to Dirk? Dirk carried a team nobody expected to make any damage in the playoffs to a championship, putting up fantastic numbers along the way, with no other notable 2nd fiddle to speak of. Kobe never did that. If anything, it should be a slap to Dirk's face.

Finally, he did play an exhibition game like he played in the NBA the last few years. Which part is not true? The one where he didn't play much defense, or the part where he missed a lot of shots?

It's not a bait, it's straight from the heart son.

If true, that is sad tbh ...

Clipper Nation
09-20-2014, 05:43 PM

namlook
09-20-2014, 05:52 PM
1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Wilt
4) Russell
5) Duncan
6) Hakeem
7) Shaq
8) Moses
9) Magic
10) Bird
11) Lebron

How could you even ask a question like this when your ranking has Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq and Moses ahead of Magic? :lol

Anyone who doesn't have Magic in the top 5 just can't be taken seriously.

RD2191
09-20-2014, 05:55 PM
https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/515116745.gif?1329007860

Malik Hairston
09-20-2014, 07:02 PM
My updated top 10 all-time(updated this morning, tbh) after watching some YouTube videos the past few weeks:

1- Dad Killer(I guess)
2- LeCoon James
3- Tim Duncan
4- Shaquille O'Neal
5- Kobe Bryant
6- Dirk Nowitzki/Kevin Garnett
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Kevin Durant
10. David Robinson

These niggas played in the toughest era in history, so I have to weigh that as part of the rankings..I believe Dad Killer, Hakeem and Robinson's impact would translate well, so I included them..

AlexJones
09-20-2014, 07:54 PM
My updated top 10 all-time(updated this morning, tbh) after watching some YouTube videos the past few weeks:

1- Dad Killer(I guess)
2- LeCoon James
3- Tim Duncan
4- Shaquille O'Neal
5- Kobe Bryant
6- Dirk Nowitzki/Kevin Garnett
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Kevin Durant
10. David Robinson

These niggas played in the toughest era in history, so I have to weigh that as part of the rankings..I believe Dad Killer, Hakeem and Robinson's impact would translate well, so I included them..

I've been saying it for awhile... Dirk is the best white player of all time and it ain't even close, tbh..

Bird would be a rich man's Chandler Parsons today, tbh..

spurraider21
09-20-2014, 08:01 PM
hard to leave kareem off a top 3 list let alone top 10

Malik Hairston
09-20-2014, 08:08 PM
I've been saying it for awhile... Dirk is the best white player of all time and it ain't even close, tbh..

Yep, I agree, tbh..

ambchang
09-20-2014, 10:34 PM
How could you even ask a question like this when your ranking has Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq and Moses ahead of Magic? :lol

Anyone who doesn't have Magic in the top 5 just can't be taken seriously.

Where did you read it was in order?

namlook
09-21-2014, 03:43 AM
1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Wilt
4) Russell
5) Duncan
6) Hakeem
7) Shaq
8) Moses
9) Magic
10) Bird
11) Lebron

Where did you read it was in order?

1. They players are in a numbered list. Doh.

2. You have a numbered list and ask who do you drop out of the top 5 to make room for Kobe. How were people expected to answer if you weren't providing a top 5 list as a reference? If I answered "I'd drop Moses out of the top 5" you would have said..."Can't you read? He's not in the top 5." :lol

ambchang
09-21-2014, 11:13 AM
1. They players are in a numbered list. Doh.

2. You have a numbered list and ask who do you drop out of the top 5 to make room for Kobe. How were people expected to answer if you weren't providing a top 5 list as a reference? If I answered "I'd drop Moses out of the top 5" you would have said..."Can't you read? He's not in the top 5." :lol

A numbered list means it's in order? Since when? And since when does it mean I. Order of greatness?

It's in the order of who pops up in my mind.

You run into conclusions with nothing to back it up.

Killakobe81
09-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Is this troll bait?
Look I do think Bird is "a bit" overrated, but no Dirk is not better. Though I agree that this era is better than the 90's ... Harlem's top ten is ridiculous. And Placing guys like KG and Dirk one hit championship wonders over Bird/Magic is why i hate the advanced metrics ers (though Magic and Bird still have solid numbers).

Let's take a look at Bird vs. Dirk. Not only has Bird put up multiple legit MVP seasons (before the award got sentimental) he did so in an era when Magic, Isiah, Kareem, Moses and later MJ all had strong cases for the award. If you watched the games, his passing alone gives him an edge on Dirk. Rebounding favors dirk but considering the size advantage it is closer than you would think.

Dirk's 2011 regular/post season (finals was just good) was as amazing as anything Bird ever did shooting/scoring wise imho. But to say he is better than Bird is borderline stupid. Dirk is a pioneer he proved Euros were not soft is probably the best shooting big man in the NBA's long history and if not for Duncan probably the best PF (along with KG) in a stacked era for the position.

But no he is not greater than Bird. Bird is overrated by many but these posts are flat out disrespectful tbh.

AlexJones
09-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Bird was a soft whitey that benefited from a soft white league and a legendary supporting cast. That's a fact and HH knows it.

Malik Hairston
09-22-2014, 12:38 PM
:lol Larry Bird played in a league that was 25% White Americans on a team that was heavily supported and marketed by the league..

Dirk dominated in a league full of brothers and International players..

Thread
09-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Dirk dominated

Please. He found a blind squirrel who could throw acorns into a bathtub for 2 months. I repeat:::please.

AlexJones
09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Please. He found a blind squirrel who could throw acorns into a bathtub for 2 months. I repeat:::please.

Shut the fuck up, you old piece of shit. No one asked for your opinion.

Malik Hairston
09-22-2014, 12:45 PM

:lmao:lmao..

Thread
09-22-2014, 12:59 PM

You didn't even try & defend it. Just laid there, like a $3 whore.

Big shots.

Thread
09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
:lmao:lmao..

Ass sniffer.

ambchang
09-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Saying Bird was overrated because 25% of the league is white, while praising the league right now when the championship was won by a team that borrowed the offense from Euro-ball, which came from whitey Europe, is hilarious.

Killakobe81
09-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Saying Bird was overrated because 25% of the league is white, while praising the league right now when the championship was won by a team that borrowed the offense from Euro-ball, which came from whitey Europe, is hilarious.

Not only that but it's racist. I get historically blacks have dominated the league over the past 30 years but Bird also excelled when most of the best players were black. Sure there were more players with the same color skin in the 80's but he still was competing against Dr.J, Nique and outplaying them as a slow white guy who could think the game.

Again much like Paul I think bird is a bit overrated. But he absolutely is top 10 player out of the guys I have seen with my own eyes. As a passer only guys with = or > vision: Magic, Stockton, Kidd and Lebron.

Shoudl Mj get points taken away because he spent many of his GOAT moments hitting shots over Ehlo, Hornacek and Ainge?

Killakobe81
09-22-2014, 02:51 PM
My only issue is when guys take him over Kareem, Duncan Kobe, Shaq, Magic and even Lebron. He was amazingly good definitely top 10. But guys that argue top 3 or 5 are wrong. And no Dirk is not greater. Closest white guy to him, but no ...

ambchang
09-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Not only that but it's racist. I get historically blacks have dominated the league over the past 30 years but Bird also excelled then too. Sure there were more players with the same color skin in the 80's but he still was competing against Dr.J, Nique and outplaying them as a slow white guy who could think the game.

Again much like Paul I think bird is a bit overrated. But he absolutely is top 10 player out of the guys I have seen with my own eyes. As a passer only guys with = or > vision: Magic, Stockton, Kidd and Lebron.

Racist for sure, that really goes without saying.

I actually thought that Bird was overrated in his days, but is becoming underrated as time passes on. Almost like the reverse of Hakeem. Part of it has to do with his injuries, and part of it has to do with the fact that he is not overly athletic. His defense was also undersold mostly because he's unathletic and white (Magic wasn't that athletic either, but he's a brother so it's all fine), which is really a shame because that is what ignorant racists do.

When you look at Bird's ability to anticipate, it's really unbelievable. His defense was much better than what people give him credit for specifically because of his ability to anticipate as well.

Phenomenal passer, great shooter, clutch as they come, dirty, and one of the best trash talkers. Bird is no doubt a top 10, and his peak rivals the peak of anyone who ever played (including Kareem, MJ, and Shaq).

Troll-baiting is all fun and good, but it's a shame people are being racist about it. it absolutely ignores the significance of racism, and undermines issues the league has faced and is facing right now.

Killakobe81
09-22-2014, 02:59 PM

I actually thought that Bird was overrated in his days, but is becoming underrated as time passes on. Almost like the reverse of Hakeem. Part of it has to do with his injuries, and part of it has to do with the fact that he is not overly athletic. His defense was also undersold mostly because he's unathletic and white (Magic wasn't that athletic either, but he's a brother so it's all fine), which is really a shame because that is what ignorant racists do.

When you look at Bird's ability to anticipate, it's really unbelievable. His defense was much better than what people give him credit for specifically because of his ability to anticipate as well.

Phenomenal passer, great shooter, clutch as they come, dirty, and one of the best trash talkers. Bird is no doubt a top 10, and his peak rivals the peak of anyone who ever played (including Kareem, MJ, and Shaq).

Troll-baiting is all fun and good, but it's a shame people are being racist about it. it absolutely ignores the significance of racism, and undermines issues the league has faced and is facing right now.

Great post. someone mentioned in the Paul thread a similar sentiment you just dont want the ball in that player's hands in the end of the game if you are rooting for the opposing side. Bird was the epitome of that. I know there are few dudes (funny Dirk , Ray and Reggie are the closest) that made my heart stop when the game was on the line (3pt lead or less) then when Larry Legend had the ball late in a game. Not just when playing my Lakers but many nights when the Pistons, Knicks bulls etc thought they had the Celts beat Larry would make a play to win. The steal by Bird and I think the assist to beat the Lakers in 1985 (IIRC) were plays where he did not even shoot but made the play to win the game. He was like Lebron with even more alpha tendencies to take big shots. Just a great player. And I am not knocking dirk ...who may even be a greater shooter ... but he is NOT a better player.

ambchang
09-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Great post. someone mentioned in the Paul thread a similar sentiment you just dont want the ball in that player's hands in the end of the game if you are rooting for the opposing side. Bird was the epitome of that. I know there are few dudes (funny Dirk , Ray and Reggie are the closest) that made my heart stop when the game was on the line (3pt lead or less) then when Larry Legend had the ball late in a game. Not just when playing my Lakers but many nights when the Pistons, Knicks bulls etc thought they had the Celts beat Larry would make a play to win. The steal by Bird and I think the assist to beat the Lakers in 1985 (IIRC) were plays where he did not even shoot but made the play to win the game. He was like Lebron with even more alpha tendencies to take big shots. Just a great player. And I am not knocking dirk ...who may even be a greater shooter ... but he is NOT a better player.

That steal and pass to DJ was unreal vs. the Pistons was unreal. To take it away from an all time great Isiah (I think, and why would you have a PG inbound?) to win a ball game was one of those things that fans don't get to see every year. That Tayshaun Prince block on Reggie or Kawhi strip on Westbrook were great plays, but you see chase down blocks once in a while. You do not see inbound steals followed by a no look pass to win a ball game that often.

Killakobe81
09-22-2014, 03:30 PM
That steal and pass to DJ was unreal vs. the Pistons was unreal. To take it away from an all time great Isiah (I think, and why would you have a PG inbound?) to win a ball game was one of those things that fans don't get to see every year. That Tayshaun Prince block on Reggie or Kawhi strip on Westbrook were great plays, but you see chase down blocks once in a while. You do not see inbound steals followed by a no look pass to win a ball game that often.

That was either bad coaching or bad ego by Thomas, tbh. Wouldnt you want Thomas to catch that pass? And dont you want a player with better height to see over the inbound defender? A great coach like Chuck should have never let it happen. But to take that series away from the Pistons and have the presence of mind to get the pass off was amazing. Dj cutting when he did was also a great play and be able to make that under duress by both guys was amazing. As a kid, I hated Larry I was all about Magic. but im an adult and appreciate all he did. He also was a great playoff rebounder (like Dirk) it doesnt get enough credit either.

Killakobe81
09-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Oh and It was bird to Dennis Johnson in 1985 finals Magic got an offensive rebound to put the Lakers up by one (kareem missed a hook) and Bird drew the double team and kicked it out to DJ for the game winner. It wasn't as amazing as the Pistons play but broke my heart just the same.

Malik Hairston
09-22-2014, 05:07 PM

:lmao comparing White American basketball players to European basketball players..

ambchang
09-22-2014, 09:03 PM
:lmao comparing White American basketball players to European basketball players..

What's the difference? Care to explain with anything more than an emoticon?

White American basketball players like Kevin love is really struggling in this golden age of basketball.

Killakobe81
09-22-2014, 09:12 PM
What's the difference? Care to explain with anything more than an emoticon?

White American basketball players like Kevin love is really struggling in this golden age of basketball.

Great example, Amb. Another player with very good anticpation (for boards) and passing skills. If you can play you can play. I remember Cwebb predicted him as a bust I bet you can find the proof on youtube because he felt he was slow and undersized. TBF, Love has reshaped his body but again if you can play nothing else matters. when I played HS ball there was always that all white school in the city or state playoffs that inner city schools doubted but could really ball. I have played with very good filipino and hispanic players. Only thing that limits you in hoops is height ...but if you can ball that can be overcome too ..

Kidd K
09-23-2014, 06:11 AM
one of the five greatest players in NBA history

No fuckin way.

ambchang
09-23-2014, 07:29 AM
White American Players who finished top 50 in PER last year (>500 minutes played)
Kevin Love (3rd)
Brook Lopez (7th, I consider him white)
David Lee (40th)
Mason Plumlee (44th)
Ryan Anderseon (46th)

20% in top 10, 10% in top 50, in a league that, according to Malik Hairston, is NOT 25% white American players. So in terms of productivity, white American players are at least average based on weighted average.

Non American white players:
Dirk Nowitzki (12th)
Goran Dragic (20th)
Nikola Pekovic (23rd)
Manu Ginobili (29th)
MVPau (37th)
Nikola Vucevic (49th)

Which adds another 6 players. Overall, 11 of the top 50 PER players in the league last year were white players, which translates to 22% of the league. I guess colour doesn't really make much of difference in productivity ... unless, of course, you are racist.

ambchang
09-23-2014, 07:30 AM

No fuckin way.

I saw that too, and was scratching my head. The author must have meant five greatest SG in NBA history.

Killakobe81
09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
I saw that too, and was scratching my head. The author must have meant five greatest SG in NBA history.

It was just an opinion. He could very well be misinformed ... but it is just his rankings. Just as shitty as 99% of the posters on here tbh ...

Killakobe81
09-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Best part of article is when Nash describes him in three words: Mother Fucken Asshole ... that was awesome and perfect. In both a good and bad way that is Kobe like Mj before him ...MJ was just better at hiding it, greater at winning.

ambchang
09-23-2014, 09:16 AM
It was just an opinion. He could very well be misinformed ... but it is just his rankings. Just as shitty as 99% of the posters on here tbh ...

But head-scratching nonetheless. It's like saying Rony Seikaly is a top 10 low post scorer of all time.

djohn2oo8
09-23-2014, 09:50 AM

What? Hakeem would have a greater impact today than Bird due just on his athleticism alone.

ambchang
09-23-2014, 10:01 AM
What? Hakeem would have a greater impact today than Bird due just on his athleticism alone.

Not saying about impact in today's game but how Hakeem was underrated while he was playing and generally getting overated now.

djohn2oo8
09-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Not saying about impact in today's game but how Hakeem was underrated while he was playing and generally getting overated now.

What makes him overrated now?

ambchang
09-23-2014, 10:22 AM

People make is sound like he could do no wrong in the 90s, and generally ignored the low point of the late 80s/early 90s of his career.

djohn2oo8
09-23-2014, 10:30 AM
People make is sound like he could do no wrong in the 90s, and generally ignored the low point of the late 80s/early 90s of his career.

He was in the finals in his second year, then those teams broke down due to drugs and injuries. What help did he have?

ambchang
09-23-2014, 10:38 AM
He was in the finals in his second year, then those teams broke down due to drugs and injuries. What help did he have?

Robinson put up a great run in his rookie year. The team broke up because McCombs was cheap and Robinson had no help. Robinson didn't get the pass.

Clipper Nation
09-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Amb is a DRob stan still bitter about '95 :lol

djohn2oo8
09-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Robinson put up a great run in his rookie year. The team broke up because McCombs was cheap and Robinson had no help. Robinson didn't get the pass.
The Spurs were and are a better organization. They had many winning seasons before Robinson got there, the Rockets a lot of losing season before Hakeem got there. Still, no superstar wins without help.

ambchang
09-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Amb is a DRob stan still bitter about '95 :lol

And you are a Lebron Stan still bitter about 07, 11, and 14.

Come to think of it, what do you know about 95? You werent' even old enough to be called a midget.

Clipper Nation
09-23-2014, 10:55 AM
And you are a Lebron Stan still bitter about 07, 11, and 14.

Come to think of it, what do you know about 95? You werent' even old enough to be called a midget.
^ Case in point, bitterness....

Stick to dropping truthbombs about Kirby, you're out of your element with any other take :lol

ambchang
09-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Stick to dropping truthbombs about Kirby, you're out of your element with any other take :lol

So pointing out that you likely werent' even around to watch basketball in the 90s = bitterness?

ambchang
09-23-2014, 11:10 AM
The Spurs were and are a better organization. They had many winning seasons before Robinson got there, the Rockets a lot of losing season before Hakeem got there. Still, no superstar wins without help.

You must not have followed the Spurs in the late 80s, early 90s. The Spurs in the 90s was a model in pissing away the prime of an NBA HoFer. At least the Rockets had Moses Malone and made the finals, what did the Spurs have to show for with Gervin?

Letting go of Rod Strickland and getting Vinny Del Negro as a replacement, selling the group that Lloyd Daniels was the saviour, Jerry Tarkanian, Bob Hill, John Lucas to replace Larry Brown? Getting Avery Johnson, a third string guard that was cut by the Rockets as the best PG Robinson had in his prime? Vinny Del Negro (has to repeat this, because it was really that bad)? JR Reid, Antoine Carr? Getting Rodman and not having any discipline around him? Way over the hill Chuck Person and Dale Ellis?

How in the world is that a better organization?

And I agree with no superstar wins without help, but then Robinson wasn't afforded the same grace, did he?

Killakobe81
09-23-2014, 11:23 AM

The opposite of the truth, tbh.
Dont be mad when Amb brings the heat on the object of your affection.

Jenks
09-23-2014, 04:43 PM

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Wilt
4) Russell
5) Duncan
6) Hakeem
7) Shaq
8) Moses
9) Magic
10) Bird
11) Lebron

Does not compute. Are you saying that most people have Hakeem even higher than 6 all time? Because they don't.

Jenks
09-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Nevermind, kept reading and got to your explanation them not being in order even though they're numbered.

Kidd K
09-27-2014, 12:47 AM
So pointing out that you likely werent' even around to watch basketball in the 90s = bitterness?

Hey give him a break. He's been watching basketball for like 5 years so he's just as much of an expert on stuff that happened 20 years ago since he watched a highlight video and read a few troll posts about it.

So he can easily call DRob a shitty player even though he was practically Jordan-tier in his prime, not that he'd know that. Revisionist historians at work.