PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Where do last years Spurs rank as far as best playoff teams ever?

Thebesteva
09-18-2014, 04:13 PM
A lot of people are sadly going to remember Lebron losing more than the Spurs winning, but I have these Spurs as one of the top 4 best playoff teams in NBA history.

I don't see any team handing these guys their asses, not even MJ's bulls. But I do have a loaded Lakers team with Shaq, Kobe+ the alpha role players ahead of them.

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Best since the 80s, tbh, with a few of Dad Killer's teams and the 2001 Lakers giving them a run..

Most players from the 80s wouldn't be capable of playing in today's league, though, so tough to compare(25% of the league was White Americans:lol )..

Thebesteva
09-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Best since the 80s, tbh, with a few of Dad Killer's teams and the 2001 Lakers giving them a run..

Most players from the 80s wouldn't be capable of playing in today's league, though, so tough to compare(25% of the league was White Americans:lol )..

Try explaining that to people who say Pistol Pete would dominate todays game :lol

spurraider21
09-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Made the reigning b2b champs look like they didn't belong. Dallas did that to the lakers though

HI-FI
09-18-2014, 10:02 PM
good thread.

I think these Spurs and 2011 Mavs had two of the most epic runs i recall. both bookended the gay Heatles era. fortunately the Spurs are not breaking up the team like Mavs.

Kool Bob Love
09-18-2014, 10:17 PM
op I remember when I had to look back at the past. I live in the NOW now..gonna watch game 5 again in 4k.:flag:

Stay mad.

daslicer
09-18-2014, 10:49 PM
A lot of people are sadly going to remember Lebron losing more than the Spurs winning, but I have these Spurs as one of the top 4 best playoff teams in NBA history.

Actually thats the beauty of this Spurs team finals victory that it always be remembered due to Lebron losing. The casual fans don't remember the spurs previous 4 championships due to who they beat in the finals. Whenever people reflect on why Lebron left Miami this spurs team will be brought up as the team that broke up the big 3 and led to Lebron's departure from Miami. I think Lebron's legacy will help this team to be remembered because they will always be linked to each other.

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Actually thats the beauty of this Spurs team finals victory that it always be remembered due to Lebron losing. The casual fans don't remember the spurs previous 4 championships due to who they beat in the finals. Whenever people reflect on why Lebron left Miami this spurs team will be brought up as the team that broke up the big 3 and led to Lebron's departure from Miami. I think Lebron's legacy will help this team to be remembered because they will always be linked to each other.

Yep, I made the same point a few months ago in regards to people hating the Heat..

The best thing that could have happened to the Spurs(and the 2011 Mavs, actually) was the creation of the Heatles..it gave the Spurs(and especially the Mavs) the platform that they simply didn't have when they were winning/contending in the less popular version of the NBA(2002-2007)..

Buddy Mignon
09-18-2014, 11:28 PM
They are right there with the 04 Pistons

rogues
09-18-2014, 11:50 PM
It was beautiful basketball..the way it should be played, tbh..I troll yall alot but I'd be lying if I told yall it wasnt a joy to watch..it was pure basketball execution on a level that has not been seen ever..my thunder were the biggest challenge to yall..it will continue to be like that..

AlexJones
09-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Boring.

Infinite_limit
09-19-2014, 12:14 AM
To me, certainty one of the most surprising Final turn arounds. Or Heat surrender if you want to spin it that way.

But are we really supposed to pretend this isn't a weak era for the NBA? The entire League (For the past 4 seasons) has centered around 3 teams: Spurs, Heat & Thunder. Spurs claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Heat. The Heat claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Spurs. And the Thunder have not accomplished anything.

Do you really think this Spurs team would "dominate" the Spurs teams of the past? I just don't see it. I think it's a case of right place right time. I enjoy watching the Spurs play and especially beating the likes of James/Durant but let's call it like it is.

It is easy to reflect on the past because of hindsight. If the Thunder reel off some Championship runs of their own then we will look at this ERA differently. But as it stands the Bulls got injured & the Mavs blew things up. Otherwise there would have been more depth.

Malik Hairston
09-19-2014, 12:25 AM
To me, certainty one of the most surprising Final turn arounds. Or Heat surrender if you want to spin it that way.

But are we really supposed to pretend this isn't a weak era for the NBA? The entire League (For the past 4 seasons) has centered around 3 teams: Spurs, Heat & Thunder. Spurs claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Heat. The Heat claim to fame is beating the Thunder & Spurs. And the Thunder have not accomplished anything.

Do you really think this Spurs team would "dominate" the Spurs teams of the past? I just don't see it. I think it's a case of right place right time. I enjoy watching the Spurs play and especially beating the likes of James/Durant but let's call it like it is.

It is easy to reflect on the past because of hindsight. If the Thunder reel off some Championship runs of their own then we will look at this ERA differently. But as it stands the Bulls got injured & the Mavs blew things up. Otherwise there would have been more depth.

When has the NBA not been centered around 2-3 teams?:lol..

Not in my lifetime, certainly..

And who did Dad Killer's Bulls beat for their "claim to fame"?..the Bad Boys Pistons once they were past their primes? Magic's worst Lakers team that didn't have Kareem?:lol..

DMC
09-19-2014, 12:43 AM
2014 Spurs moved the ball and executed better than any team I've ever seen. It would be hard for any team to beat that Finals version of the Spurs.

Calispursfan11
09-19-2014, 12:48 AM
I think the 37-13 Spurs in the lockout shortened season could have given these guys a run. That was a ridiculous team, to be questioned only by the fact of the shortened season. Otherwise, one of the most dominant ever sweeping the Lakers and Blazers in the WC Semifinals and WC finals, then defeating the Knicks in a mere 5 games in the finals. Badass at its most badass.

Malik Hairston
09-19-2014, 12:56 AM
^^ Depends on the era, though..

Some of the players on the '99 Spurs roster wouldn't even make it on a roster in today's league, since it's much more skill-based, rather than goon-based, tbh..

Calispursfan11
09-19-2014, 12:59 AM
^^ Depends on the era, though..

Some of the players on the '99 Spurs roster wouldn't even make it on a roster in today's league, since it's much more skill-based, rather than goon-based, tbh..

Assuming they could make it on a roster tho, goons can generally neutralize skill. (see Bill Laimbeer/Rick Mahorn/Mario Elie).

scanry
09-19-2014, 01:30 AM
The 90's were by far the weakest era tbh. MJ was lucky he faced perennial chokers in the finals like Drekler, Barkley, Kemp & Malone. The Spurs had amazing shooters all around. Kwahi, Green, Mills, Bellineli, Manu & Parker all shot over 40% beyond the 3 point arc.

I'm obviously biased, but i'd take the 2014 Spurs over the 96, 97 and 98 Bulls tbh. Their first 3 peat had a prime MJ and i just don't think any one could've beaten them in a 7 game series. Maybe the 2001 Lakers with a prime Shaq, but no one else. MJ actually had a Kobe (with elite defense offcourse) putting up 22/9/7 numbers back then.

daslicer
09-19-2014, 01:32 AM
I think the 37-13 Spurs in the lockout shortened season could have given these guys a run. That was a ridiculous team, to be questioned only by the fact of the shortened season. Otherwise, one of the most dominant ever sweeping the Lakers and Blazers in the WC Semifinals and WC finals, then defeating the Knicks in a mere 5 games in the finals. Badass at its most badass.

The 99 team was dominant with only 2 losses along with holding a win streak record of 12 straight playoff games that will probably never be broken. I think it really depends on the rules on which team would win. If we are playing by 90's rules the '99 team would win because of their smothering defense. If you are playing by this era's rules then AJ,Elie, and Elliott would foul out every game. Also the '99 teams bench was very thin it was just Jaren Jackson,Rose,Perdue,Kersey. That bench would get crushed by the '14 team's bench. '99 Robinson-Duncan is greater than '14 Splitter-Duncan by huge margin so that would make things close. Its very hard to say who would win just due to different era rules.

scanry
09-19-2014, 01:32 AM
Assuming they could make it on a roster tho, goons can generally neutralize skill. (see Bill Laimbeer/Rick Mahorn/Mario Elie).

He's talking about today's game. None of those players make it on a roster tbh.

spurraider21
09-19-2014, 01:51 AM
The 90's were by far the weakest era tbh. MJ was lucky he faced perennial chokers in the finals like Drekler, Barkley, Kemp & Malone. The Spurs had amazing shooters all around. Kwahi, Green, Mills, Bellineli, Manu & Parker all shot over 40% beyond the 3 point arc.

I'm obviously biased, but i'd take the 2014 Spurs over the 96, 97 and 98 Bulls tbh. Their first 3 peat had a prime MJ and i just don't think any one could've beaten them in a 7 game series. Maybe the 2001 Lakers with a prime Shaq, but no one else. MJ actually had a Kobe (with elite defense offcourse) putting up 22/9/7 numbers back then.
you could always look at an era where one guy/team dominated and just write the others off as chokers though

Infinite_limit
09-19-2014, 01:51 AM

You consider them "perennial chokers" because they had to battle Jordan. I didn't see Drexler, Barkley, Kemp or Malone quitting in Finals games because of cramps.

Superior post defense + no handchecking rule = neutralizes outside shooting. Ron Harper would have bottled up Parker. Jordan & Pippen would have further dominated the perimeter and Rodman/Kukoc/Longley have a field day inside.

It's the worst matchup for the Spurs. The late 90's Bulls do all the same things better. Atleast with Shaq's Lakers you hack a shaq O'Neil and shoot over Fisher's tiny frame. A 36 year old Ron Harper was still starting for them. . .

Thebesteva
09-19-2014, 01:57 AM
When has the NBA not been centered around 2-3 teams?:lol..

Not in my lifetime, certainly..

And who did Dad Killer's Bulls beat for their "claim to fame"?..the Bad Boys Pistons once they were past their primes? Magic's worst Lakers team that didn't have Kareem?:lol..

I do have to admit, MJ never played against a team that was a juggernaut. Reggie's Pacers took him to 7 games for Christ's sakes. Would have loved to have seen a FAIR series with Lakers with Shaq and Kobe, Celtics of 08, Heat of 12', or Spurs of this year against those Bulls.

daslicer
09-19-2014, 02:06 AM
I do have to admit, MJ never played against a team that was a juggernaut. Reggie's Pacers took him to 7 games for Christ's sakes. Would have loved to have seen a FAIR series with Lakers with Shaq and Kobe, Celtics of 08, Heat of 12', or Spurs of this year against those Bulls.

The Bulls couldn't handle Shaq in '95 when MJ first cameback but after they got Rodman I think Shaq only won only 1 game against them during the second threepeat. Rodman always knew how to push Shaq's buttons and take him out of his game. I just get the feeling that Shaq would have melted had they met up in the finals. Rodman had complete ownage of him mentally it was ridiculous. I'll never forget Shaq literally crying during a timeout because of some stuff Rodman said to him.

daslicer
09-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Shaq's comment's on Rodman crack me up in this old interview.

TBP3LujJnnI#t=66

Malik Hairston
09-19-2014, 02:11 AM
^^Shaq was a much different player from a mental standpoint after being coached by Jackson, though, tbh..

The 2000 and 2001 seasons with a healthy, in shape and motivated Shaq was unfair for the rest of the league..

daslicer
09-19-2014, 02:15 AM
^^Shaq was a much different player from a mental standpoint after being coached by Jackson, though, tbh..

That is true but it depends in this hypothetical matchup would both teams be coached by Jackson? Shaq did get mentally stronger with Jackson but he still had his moments where he could be provoked like that fight with Miller and Oakley.

Thebesteva
09-19-2014, 02:16 AM
Shaq's comment's on Rodman crack me up in this old interview.

TBP3LujJnnI#t=66

Shaq discusses how his free throws never cost a game. To his defense, I never recall hack a Shaq actually working during the Lakers run. This is what worried me about Dwight Howard. For the first time in my life, I saw the hack a center type strategy work beautifully. He cost us games. There's no way this guy takes any team without a Lebron or Durant to a championship.

The guy sucks major dick on the line.

DMC
09-19-2014, 03:31 AM

MJ lost his ass a few years before breaking though.

DMC
09-19-2014, 03:32 AM
Shaq discusses how his free throws never cost a game. To his defense, I never recall hack a Shaq actually working during the Lakers run. This is what worried me about Dwight Howard. For the first time in my life, I saw the hack a center type strategy work beautifully. He cost us games. There's no way this guy takes any team without a Lebron or Durant to a championship.

The guy sucks major dick on the line.

And still, you begged him to stay, to impregnate your frail white womb with his tainted gorilla seed.

Raven
09-19-2014, 03:35 AM

I dont think its common for a team to beat the two best players both having another top 10 and a top 20 player..

Thebesteva
09-19-2014, 03:48 AM
And still, you begged him to stay, to impregnate your frail white womb with his tainted gorilla seed.

I didnt beg him. I wasnt up there helping with the billboards.

100%duncan
09-19-2014, 04:12 AM
One of the best. Top 3-5 ever.

Thread
09-19-2014, 05:49 AM
The shadow of Amy & Bats torturing gay boy Duncan is a powerful visual.

Good morning, Arizona!!!

100%duncan
09-19-2014, 06:05 AM
The shadow of Amy & Bats torturing gay boy Duncan is a powerful visual.

Good morning, Arizona!!!

Cmon Seppe, you can't deny how good the 2014 Spurs is compared to the greatest.

ambchang
09-19-2014, 06:20 AM
The 2014 spurs are getting more and more overated. People seemed to forget that they lost 3 games vs the Mavs and two games against the thunder (both dominating perfomances by the thunder).

The spurs have weaknesses that could be exploited by a certain type of team. Teams that rarely double and sticky to their man on d are those that cause the spurs problems because they can't swing the ball around for open buckets as easily. The spurs only response is to give the ball to Parker for one on ones which is not a championship winning formula.

The 92 bulls would give the spurs serious problems. The 12 thunder would still cause the spurs problems. The old pistons teams under the old rules or the 99 spurs team will cause issues.

The spurs had two dominating series. Let's not pretend they had 4.

Killakobe81
09-19-2014, 08:00 AM
The 2014 spurs are getting more and more overated. People seemed to forget that they lost 3 games vs the Mavs and two games against the thunder (both dominating perfomances by the thunder).

The spurs have weaknesses that could be exploited by a certain type of team. Teams that rarely double and sticky to their man on d are those that cause the spurs problems because they can't swing the ball around for open buckets as easily. The spurs only response is to give the ball to Parker for one on ones which is not a championship winning formula.

The 92 bulls would give the spurs serious problems. The 12 thunder would still cause the spurs problems. The old pistons teams under the old rules or the 99 spurs team will cause issues.

Amb, my boy you on fire. Another solid take where you take the opposing view from the consensus of the board. I am enjoying your takes here and the reasoning behind them. This Spurs team was extremely well coached and play with some of the best cohesion on offense I have seen since the 80's ... But let's not get carried away with the praise.

Leetonidas
09-19-2014, 10:33 AM
It was beautiful basketball..the way it should be played, tbh..I troll yall alot but I'd be lying if I told yall it wasnt a joy to watch..it was pure basketball execution on a level that has not been seen ever..my thunder were the biggest challenge to yall..it will continue to be like that..

BD :toast

Leetonidas
09-19-2014, 10:35 AM

:lol They also dominated OKC in the games they won except game 6 which they won in OKC without TP for the entire second half

The Dallas series was a kick in the ass. From Game 7 on the Spurs were a rapetrain. They set the record for most blowouts in post season history, that's not being overrated dude

ambchang
09-19-2014, 11:21 AM
:lol They also dominated OKC in the games they won except game 6 which they won in OKC without TP for the entire second half

The Dallas series was a kick in the ass. From Game 7 on the Spurs were a rapetrain. They set the record for most blowouts in post season history, that's not being overrated dude

So in 6 games, Spurs dominated 3, got dominated in 2, and won a very close game. That is hardly killing OKC. It's almost like the 05 series vs. the Pistons. The Spurs dominated 2, got dominated in 2, won 2 close ones (well, Game 7 opened up in the last quarter), and lost another one that was kinda close. I wouldn't say the Spurs dominated the Pistons in that series. If anything, they were very close.

And I don't buy that "the Dallas series woke up the Spurs" crap. Is the playoffs not enough of a wakeup? A veteran team like the Spurs knows how to play in the playoffs. The Spurs won a blowout game, lost a blowout game, and lost two nail biters in that series. I never thought the Mavs had much of a chance in the series, and I always thought the Spurs would have won, but it drives home the point that the Spurs are not the best of all time material, that they can be challenged by well coached teams who have the discipline to stay at home on defense.

The OKC series shows the weakness of the Spurs, in that teams that have athletes who can double and recover quickly to disrupt passes can beat the Spurs. OKC is just not a disciplined enough team to get it done. OKC with Carlisle as a coach will likely beat the Spurs a majority of the time, and a team like that wouldn't be called best of all time by anyone.

The issue is, it seems like people still do not understand why the Spurs dominated the Heat and to an extent the Blazers. The logic is that the Heat is a two-time defending champion led by one of the best players the league has ever seen in his prime, and they were thoroughly embarrassed by the Spurs, so the Spurs MUST be one of the best teams of all time. The thing is, the Heat is a team that relies heavily on a trapping defense to cover up their weakness in their interior defense. What better way to beat a trap than to whip around passes. The Heat do not have the personnel to handle a penetrating Parker without collapsing their defense, nor they have the ability to handle players like Ginobili, and Duncan one on one. The only person who can handle Kawhi 1-1 is Lebron, but it just so happens Lebron is their main cog in their trapping frentic defense. Having Kawhi go ultra aggressive forced Lebron to stay home, and the entire Heat defense falls apart.

This type of offense works in today's game because teams can no longer have bruisers camped in the paint, as the spreadout game forces defensive big men out of the paint. The Spurs offense will not have as much success under the old rules because defenses do not have to entirely collapse to stop the Spurs' penetration as there is this 7' 250lb waiting in the lane. A team like the 92 Bulls can put a Pippen on Kawhi, BJ Armstrong on Parker, and let Jordan roam the passing lanes (or switch Pippen and Jordan), the Spurs will have to force it into a Duncan vs. Grant matchup, which is more or less a wash at this stage of Duncan's career. Duncan may get his 25 and 12, but he is no longer the force that requires constant double teams with an adequate post defender on him.

Even the 96 Sonics, with Payton on Parker, McMillan on Kawhi, and Kemp guarding the lane, the Spurs will have some trouble having those nice open looks and clean passes.

That's the other thing, people talk about the Spurs passing, but they generally do not talk about how crisp those passes are. What I mean is, the Spurs will pass the ball to exactly the right spot where the receiving player can immediately shoot, make another pass, or dribble. There's no wasted motion, and is really impressive. That said, under the old rules, with a hand constantly at your hip and people tugging on your jersey, those passes will be a lot less effective.

I am not saying the Spurs stunk, I think they are a fantastic team that really doesn't have much competition outside of the Thunder at this point. The Spurs are the only team with good talent and coaching on the same team, all the other teams seems to be missing one or the other. What I am saying is, the Spurs are beneficiaries of today's rules, and there are weaknesses that can be exploited. This is not a team where you just don't know what to do with, like the 01 Lakers or the 86 Celtics.

Malik Hairston
09-19-2014, 11:32 AM
:lmao Comparing the 2014 Spurs to any team from the 90s is like comparing a brand new Blu-Ray disc(the pinnacle and end of the line before streaming takes over) to an old VHS with some of the tape in the back sticking out, tbh..

I tried to watch a game from the 90s the other day, I literally almost vomited, I took it off and watched an ISIS beheading instead, tbh..

FkLA
09-19-2014, 11:45 AM
good thread.

I think these Spurs and 2011 Mavs had two of the most epic runs i recall. both bookended the gay Heatles era. fortunately the Spurs are not breaking up the team like Mavs.

Don't compare that lightning in a bottle Mavs team to our Spurs brah.

spurraider21
09-19-2014, 12:17 PM

it was very on and off. the spurs at their best would have crushed anybody else at their best, imo.

we struggled vs dallas for the most part, but made portland look like a joke. OKC had 2 easy wins against us, both in OKC. we had 3 comfy wins against OKC and a tough knockout game on their own court.

games 1/2 vs miami were muddy games, but 3-5 were clinics.

Killakobe81
09-19-2014, 12:19 PM
:lmao Comparing the 2014 Spurs to any team from the 90s is like comparing a brand new Blu-Ray disc(the pinnacle and end of the line before streaming takes over) to an old VHS with some of the tape in the back sticking out, tbh..

I tried to watch a game from the 90s the other day, I literally almost vomited, I took it off and watched an ISIS beheading instead, tbh..

90's was pretty ugly. 2014 Spurs closest comparison is the 80's Celts And from what I hear (i am much too young to remember) dem 77 Blazers ...

ambchang
09-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Comparing the game that has been around for 100 years to modern technology is just idiotic. The game has evolved many times, and has matured in its form for quite a while. What has changed since are mostly rule changes that forces team to play one way or the other to make the game more aesthetically pleasing for the average fan.

Sure, 90s ball is full of isos and thug-ball, but that was what the rules favoured back in the day. The new rules favour ball rotation, movement and shooting. The European influence is strong, and the game is similar to what WNBA does as well, albeit being played at a much higher level.

spurraider21
09-19-2014, 12:23 PM
:rollin

Thread
09-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Cmon Seppe, you can't deny how good the 2014 Spurs is compared to the greatest.

I don't do that compare malarkey, %.

It's my religion.

Texas_Ranger
09-19-2014, 03:38 PM
90's teams would only have a shot with their rules.

Infinite_limit
09-19-2014, 08:12 PM
90's teams would only have a shot with their rules.
1993 Suns

Kevin Johnson un-guardable
Ainge & Marjele draining 3's
Barkley destroying the paint

LOL @ glorifying an ERA where Kevin Durant is the MVP

barbacoataco
09-19-2014, 10:44 PM
At the highest level, It would all depend on how the officials call it. The 2014 Spurs were built to have success under today's rules and officiating. The old Pistons bad boys teams with Rodman wouldn't be able to play their defense under today's rules. On the other hand the 2011 Mavs or 2014 a Spurs would probably get man handled and beat down by the Jordan-Rodman Bulls, IF they were plaing under their rules. In the case of the 2001 Lakers, it would depend totally on how the refs handle the Shaq matchup.

scanry
09-20-2014, 12:15 AM
At the highest level, It would all depend on how the officials call it. The 2014 Spurs were built to have success under today's rules and officiating. The old Pistons bad boys teams with Rodman wouldn't be able to play their defense under today's rules. On the other hand the 2011 Mavs or 2014 a Spurs would probably get man handled and beat down by the Jordan-Rodman Bulls, IF they were plaing under their rules. In the case of the 2001 Lakers, it would depend totally on how the refs handle the Shaq matchup.

Shaq would've abused regardless. Not a damn thing you could do to contain him after he developed an inside game.

Galileo
09-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Here is an important fact:

The '83 "Fo, Fo, Fo" Sixers, often called one of the greatest teams of all time, trailed at halftime in all 4 finals games versus the Lakers.

Do not forget this fact.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1983_finals.html