PDA

View Full Version : Was it racist?

SnakeBoy
09-19-2014, 03:09 PM
I went and did some grocery shopping for my dad since he has a hard time getting out these days. The HEB by his house has someone at the door to check receipts as people leave. So as I'm leaving there is also a black guy leaving and the guy at the door just waves me on and stops the black guy to check his receipt/cart. Thing is the guy checking receipts was also black. Was he being racist or just playing the odds?

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2014, 03:12 PM
I went and did some grocery shopping for my dad since he has a hard time getting out these days. The HEB by his house has someone at the door to check receipts as people leave. So as I'm leaving there is also a black guy leaving and the guy at the door just waves me on and stops the black guy to check his receipt/cart. Thing is the guy checking receipts was also black. Was he being racist or just playing the odds?

Or he could be just checking every so many people and it happened to land on that dude.

DJR210
09-19-2014, 03:14 PM
He can't stop everyone, so he's gotta go with the one that has the highest probability of a bust / potential promotion.

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2014, 03:54 PM
He can't stop everyone, so he's gotta go with the one that has the highest probability of a bust / potential promotion.

and it is "HEB"

Avante
09-19-2014, 03:56 PM
What I can't understand is what is wrong with being a racist to begin with? Hell yes we see huge differences between the races why pretend we don't?

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2014, 04:00 PM
What I can't understand is what is wrong with being a racist to begin with? Hell yes we see huge differences between the races why pretend we don't?

Exactly. I see three people. One is black, one is White, and one is Mexican.
I say to the black man..."I think you guys have really made the NBA something worth watching."
I say to the Mexican..."I really enjoy your food."
I say to the White..."You're race is very smart."

zooooooommmmmmmm...now I'm a racist?

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Exactly. I see three people. One is black, one is White, and one is Mexican.
I say to the black man..."I think you guys have really made the NBA something worth watching."
I say to the Mexican..."I really enjoy your food."
I say to the White..."You're race is very smart."

zooooooommmmmmmm...now I'm a racist?

Yes. Speaking with an improperly spelled word is extremely offensive to my people.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2014, 04:56 PM
To the point of the OP, I couldn't make a guess until I knew how everyone was dressed. I'm as white and non descript as it gets and I've been stopped a couple of times in places like that. I remember one time my wife and I were sick with the flu. I went in looking like death warmed over wearing a hoodie, pajama pants, unshaved and looking plenty ratty. Got stopped and asked to unzip my jacket on the way out after they checked the receipt. Pretty sure they saw the bag full of cough syrup and assumed meth head.

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Yes. Speaking with an improperly spelled word is extremely offensive to my people.

shit...that's funny...I originally had "your" and then thought it was wrong. Just like a white person to be hypocritical.

Th'Pusher
09-19-2014, 07:06 PM

Checking receipts at HEB? What HEB does that? Some advice, Move your dad out of the fucking ghetto.

Bender
09-19-2014, 07:12 PM
^--- Yeah, I know. I've been in at least a dozen HEBs in San Antonio and I've never seen receipt checking.

Chinook
09-19-2014, 07:44 PM
No, it's not racist. It's just prejudicial as hell. Any time a person's demographics colors your assumptions about their character, it's prejudiced. There's no difference between that and "playing the odds". It makes a certain level of sense to rely on stereotypes, but to the folks who get stereotyped, it's annoying.

SnakeBoy
09-20-2014, 01:02 AM
Checking receipts at HEB? What HEB does that? Some advice, Move your dad out of the fucking ghetto.

Harry Wurzbach & Austin Hwy. There are several public assistance housing complexes near it, the source of the scumbags who have nothing better to do than hang out around the parking lot and panhandle. Neighborhoods in the area aren't all that bad. We've offered to have him move in with us and my sister offered the same but he wants to die in the same house my mom died in. Thanks for your wise advice though.