PDA

View Full Version : Pistons make offer to Maurice Evans

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Pistons make offer to Sacramento player who would back up Prince
Wednesday, August 24, 2005
By A. Sherrod Blakely

http://www.mlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports-1/1124894401285820.xml&coll=1

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons have been one of the best NBA teams at finding top-flight talent at a bargain basement price. They may have found another gem in restricted free agent Maurice Evans, who will be offered a multiyear contract as early as today.

The Sacramento Kings, the team for which Evans played last season, will have seven days to match the offer that will start at about $1.5 million per season. The length of the contract has yet to be determined.

Acquiring Evans would address one of the Pistons' biggest offseason needs -- acquiring a backup for Tayshaun Prince.

Team officials said repeatedly following Detroit's runner-up finish to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals that finding a suitable backup for Prince a key part of the offseason.

There was a noticeable decline in Prince's play during the playoffs at times, something team officials believe was caused by him logging too many minutes.

Detroit didn't address the need during the NBA draft. Instead, they drafted a pair of power forwards (Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson) and a point guard (Alex Acker).

The Pistons didn't address it earlier this week when they reached a two-year, $7 million deal with veteran center Dale Davis, a deal that took them out of the running for small forward Michael Finley.

While Evans isn't all that familiar with the Pistons roster, he does know Detroit's new head coach, Flip Saunders. Evans, undrafted when he left the University of Texas in 2001, spent his rookie season with the Saunders in Minnesota. He appeared in just 10 games for the Timberwolves. After that, Evans took his game to Europe, where he dominated the competition.

The Kings recognized his ability, and brought him back to the NBA last season, when he averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds while shooting 44.2 percent from the field and 32.9 percent from 3-point range. He made 11 starts for the Kings, including one against the Pistons on March 6. In that game, Evans had 12 points and nine rebounds in helping the Kings to a 100-85 win.

Even more significant was during his 37 minutes against Detroit that night, the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Evans more than held his own defensively against 6-7 Richard Hamilton and the 6-9 Prince, who each struggled offensively in the game.

If the Kings do not match the offer for Evans, Detroit will have the NBA-maximum 15 players with guaranteed contracts. Acker, the last player selected in June's NBA draft, signed a one-year deal with the Pistons but it would only become guaranteed if he were on the roster in January.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
I was not as high on this guy as a lot of people because of his height. But apparently he was another prospect that the Spurs were interested in.

Hopefully the Spurs are re-signing Devin or signing someone like Matt Barnes.

Streakyshooter08
08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
So I guess no Finley/Sprewell for Detroit...I hope the Spurs resign Devin now...

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
can someone help me on this?

once a restricted free agent signed an offer sheet with a team only his formerteam can match? nobody likethe spurs can jump in and proposea better bid?

if not, that is setting a price tag for devin that could realistically not ask much more than evans. so Devin is in the 1.5M range price.

i thought spurs would take, evansor brown plus barnes or sanders.
It is 2 prospects gone in a day (evans and JJones) the list isgetting shorter and the motivation to get finley higher...

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-24-2005, 11:52 AM
once a restricted free agent signed an offer sheet with a team only his formerteam can match? nobody likethe spurs can jump in and proposea better bid?

Correct.

SenorSpur
08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
So I guess no Finley/Sprewell for Detroit...I hope the Spurs resign Devin now...

As you can see, the FA pool of backup 3's is "drying up" quickly - even without Finley's decision.

IMO, the Spurs are left with no other viable option than to resign Devin - which aint a bad option.

SenorSpur
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I was not as high on this guy as a lot of people because of his height. But apparently he was another prospect that the Spurs were interested in.

Hopefully the Spurs are re-signing Devin or signing someone like Matt Barnes.

BTW, who is this kid Matt Barnes?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Man, the list sure is getting shorter by the day, Spurs need to hurry up and make a move.

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
thanks aggie.
i was not higher on evans than brown.
however i would love barnes to join. for senorspurs

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22187&highlight=matt+barnes

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 12:00 PM
I have only glenn; finley; brown; and barnes left on my unofficial personnal short list...

I hope the lost time with finley is paying and not forcing the spurs to miss on other opportunities

ChumpDumper
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
None of these guys are as good as a healthy Devin is now. It's good that these teams are out of the Brown market -- now it comes down to how desperate the teams that miss out on Finley get, us included.

Kip Fanatic
08-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I think Denver, New Jersey, and Utah are still in the hunt for Devin Brown.

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Spurs needs two more wing players. mythree viable (sport and financial) option left i would be fine with are:

Dbrwon plus barnes as a taller insurance would be perfect for me

or

Glenn plus (barnes or sanders)

or

Finley plus (barnes or sanders)

my2sons
sure is nice that devin is still in the picture.

SenorSpur
None of these guys are as good as a healthy Devin is now. It's good that these teams are out of the Brown market -- now it comes down to how desperate the teams that miss out on Finley get, us included.

Don't forget Utah. They've expressed interest in Devin.

Kip Fanatic
08-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I'd like to have NVE and Finley. Or NVE and G-Rob.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Finley plus (barnes or sanders)

I think Melvin Sanders signed a contract with Siena.

http://www.comune.siena.it/news.asp?id=12681

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
in worst case names like Jacobsen white and theron smith are on the market but it would be a serious down grade from devin

ChumpDumper
08-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't think NJ is a realistic destination considering the swingmen already there and the minutes they will eat up. Utah and Denver seem pretty logical; there could indeed be a mini bidding war if teams think Devin has recovered.

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 12:14 PM
thanks for the info Kori, i did not know. i guess they love spurs summer leagues since they also recruited justin hamilton.

the options for both a 4th and 5th wing are getting shorter andshorter ....

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
thanks for the info Kori, i did not know. i guess they love spurs summer leagues since they also recruited justin hamilton.

the options for both a 4th and 5th wing are getting shorter andshorter ....

I know that Melvin had planned on coming to Spurs training camp. So maybe the Spurs let him know that he didn't have that much of a chance to make the roster -- or maybe the Siena offer was just too tempting. I know the Spurs were very very high on his D.

SenorSpur
08-24-2005, 12:18 PM
thanks aggie.
i was not higher on evans than brown.
however i would love barnes to join. for senorspurs

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22187&highlight=matt+barnes

Thanks for the information JUUOT.

Question for Kori. After hearing so much about LJIII, at the start of last year's camp, I was hopeful the Spurs had found the new defensive understudy to Bowen. What happened to him? Why did he wash out?

Also, why do you like Barnes?

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 12:18 PM
That is what i remembered on sanders (high on his D)
i am a bit disappointed. engellandinterview on parker on french radio RMC

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Question for Kori. After hearing so much about LJIII, at the start of last year's camp, I was hopeful the Spurs had found the new defensive understudy to Bowen. What happened to him? Why did he wash out?

Also, why do you like Barnes?

I don't know why exactly he washed out - I'm guessing that though they liked the promise of his D, his offensive skills were so limited that it might not have been worth it.

Barnes is pretty versatile. Good defender. Works extremely hard. And the Spurs targeted him in the past and were disappointed not to get him. He's a Northern California guy, so he might just end up back with the Kings - he loves it there.

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 12:29 PM
i am all over barnes now plus devin-glenn or finley...

vote forbarnes andsendhim letter a la suns ahahahha

DesiSpur_21
08-24-2005, 12:34 PM
With Devin's back still in question, Finley is a safer option (i.e. if he wants to play for us)

SenorSpur
08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't know why exactly he washed out - I'm guessing that though they liked the promise of his D, his offensive skills were so limited that it might not have been worth it.

Regarding LJIII:

Hmmmm. I wonder too. When Bruce Bowen arrived, his offensive game was as limited as they come. They stuck it out with him and he's worked incredibly hard to develop these components and has been successful. I wonder why they weren't more patient with this LJ?

ace3g
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
the spurs better have something up their sleeves if they are letting Evans and Jones get away from them

Bruno
08-24-2005, 01:24 PM
The article seems to say that Kings can match. Is it true ?
They have no MLE, LLE, Early bird rights on Evans and the offer is more than 120% of his last year salary.
I think Kings can't match or is there something else in the new CBA ?

ace3g
08-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I have a question, if the kings do match the offer by the pistons; can the spurs make a offer to the kings

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 01:35 PM
They have no MLE, LLE, Early bird rights on Evans and the offer is more than 120% of his last year salary.

Are you sure they don't have the LLE? If they don't, then I don't think they have any money to match.

Bruno
08-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Are you sure they don't have the LLE? If they don't, then I don't think they have any money to match.
I think they used it last summer for Songaila.

ace3g
08-24-2005, 01:53 PM
I guess Gerald Wallace is still an option for the spurs(not very likely though because he is a RFA) but he is still available.

ace3g
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
and when the offseason ends for the spurs, we are all going to be thinking to ourselves "why didnt we think of that" or "I never saw that one coming" when the spurs do announce they have signed another player

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
good catch bruno

http://www.hoopsworld.com/cgi-bin/news/exec/view.cgi?archive=33&num=8991

so the the kings have no money left unless they move stuff with a trade. didn t Barnes state he would only play for sacramento or Spurs. This leaves sacramento out of the race.
matt barnes in black and white?
any other team on it?

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
ace3g,
i think evans was not a priority and they could not comit without finishing on finley file. Detroit was pretty smart to make their move now...they were champions not long ago and in final they have a great FO too

ace3g
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
yeah I agree with GIG, so on RFA it is whoever makes the first proposal; no other team can make a better offer if the team that owns the rights to the FA matches the other offer

Bruno
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
good catch bruno

http://www.hoopsworld.com/cgi-bin/news/exec/view.cgi?archive=33&num=8991

so the the kings have no money left unless they move stuff with a trade. didn t Barnes state he would only play for sacramento or Spurs. This leaves sacramento out of the race.
matt barnes in black and white?
any other team on it?

Thanks.
Kings can offer barnes minimum salary.
I don't think spurs want offer more money for him.
I prefer devin over Evans or Barnes.

ChumpDumper
08-24-2005, 02:14 PM
so on RFA it is whoever makes the first proposal; no other team can make a better offer if the team that owns the rights to the FA matches the other offerThat's right.

JUUOT
08-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks.
Kings can offer barnes minimum salary.
I don't think spurs want offer more money for him.
I prefer devin over Evans or Barnes.

agreed, i see barnes as a good pick up for the 5th wing
and one of devin finley or glenn for the 4th spot

50 cent
08-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Forget Barnes. I would rather have 2 of Devin, Finley, and G-Rob.

mavsfan1000
08-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I think Evans will have alot of success on guarding Wade. He is the perfect replacement to Hunter. This guy great at defense and rebounding and is one of the few players who can match Wade's athleticism on the defensive end. He is a better fit than Sprewell in my opinion against Miami.

exstatic
08-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder too. When Bruce Bowen arrived, his offensive game was as limited as they come.

NOT TRUE. If you go back and look at his pre-Spurs stats, he could ALWAYS shoot the long ball extremely well. LJ III, on the other hand, couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. If you play in SA, you must be able to shoot. You don't have to be able to do much else offensively (Bowen, Kerr, Ferry, Jack) but you must have the long ball in your arsenal, and you must defend.

Trapt1307
08-24-2005, 07:54 PM
I think Evans will have alot of success on guarding Wade. He is the perfect replacement to Hunter. This guy great at defense and rebounding and is one of the few players who can match Wade's athleticism on the defensive end. He is a better fit than Sprewell in my opinion against Miami.

Hunter is under contract with the Pistons for one more year. He probably just won't see very many minutes until the playoffs to keep him fresh.

mavsfan1000
08-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't see why Hunter will get any minutes except when Evans is at the 3 or Hunter at the 1. I see Evans being a better option than Hunter and being a Wade stopper. This guy has mad athleticism and is exactly the same size as Wade which I feel would be key to slowing down a scorer. Hunter won't be needed next year.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Here's the official details ...

Pistons sign Maurice Evans to offer sheet
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
August 24, 2005

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons signed Sacramento swingman Maurice Evans to a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet Wednesday.

The Kings have seven days to match the offer to retain Evans, a restricted free agent. They might not because after signing Shareef Abdur-Rahim earlier this month, they were expected to let Evans and forward Darius Songaila leave.

Detroit wants to add the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Evans because he would provide depth behind starting small forward Tayshaun Prince and shooting guard Richard Hamilton. He will compete with Carlos Delfino and Ronald Dupree for playing time, if Sacramento doesn't match the offer.

The Pistons were interested in signing free agent Michael Finley and briefly considered adding free agent Latrell Sprewell. But Finley made it clear he didn't want to play for the Pistons, and they appear to have decided to not sign Sprewell.

Evans, a solid defender, averaged 6.4 points, 3.1 rebounds and 19 minutes in 65 games, including 11 starts, and made similar contributions in the playoffs last season with the Kings. He scored a career-high 17 points on Feb. 13 at Boston, and had a career-high 14 rebounds the next month against Memphis.

Evans, who turns 27 on Nov. 8, began his career with the Minnesota Timberwolves during the 2001-02 season, playing 10 games for current Detroit coach Flip Saunders. After that brief stint in the NBA, he played in Europe before making Sacramento's roster last season.

The Pistons signed Evans, who also was pursued by San Antonio, to an offer sheet one day after signing Dale Davis to a two-year, $7 million contract. They used part of their mid-level exception to sign Davis, keeping money available to offer Evans.

If Sacramento doesn't match the offer, the Pistons will have 16 players under contract, including first-round pick Jason Maxiell and second-round selections Amir Johnson and Alex Acker. The new collective bargaining agreement expanded rosters from 12 to 14 players, but also allows them to assign players to the NBA Development League during their first two seasons.

timvp
08-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I guess the Spurs didn't really want him that bad. They could have blown that deal out of the water.

Perhaps this is a good sign that Devin will be back.

:smokin

milkyway21
08-24-2005, 08:44 PM
I have a question, if the kings do match the offer by the pistons; can the spurs make a offer to the kingsI don't think the Kings will match Piston's offer bec after signing Rahim they were expected to let go of Songalia and Evans.

the Pistons got a fast back up plan huh?:huh
Maybe they heard the rumors Finley didn't really want to play for them.

The Pistons were interested in signing free agent Michael Finley and briefly considered adding free agent Latrell Sprewell. But Finley made it clear he didn't want to play for the Pistons, and they appear to have decided to not sign Sprewell :smokin .

ps. Spree is still hanging in the air:D

yavozerb
08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
I know we all like devin, but damn, if he is the only player they end up getting who is going to be put in the rotation then its going to be a long year!!!

marcus
08-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I know we all like devin, but damn, if he is the only player they end up getting who is going to be put in the rotation then its going to be a long year!!!

lol, how could it be a bad year if the team is basically the same but better as we got Oberto and players like Mohammed and Barry will be better adjusted to the team system.

ace3g
08-24-2005, 10:11 PM
WANE-TV - The Detroit Pistons have signed Sacramento's Maurice Evans to a three-year $4.5 million-dollar offer.

The Kings have seven days to match the offer to retain Evans, a restricted free agent.

Detroit wants to add the six-foot-five, 220-pound Evans because he would provide depth behind starting small forward Tayshaun Prince and shooting guard Richard Hamilton.

He would compete with Carlos Delfino and Ronald Dupree for playing time, if Sacramento doesn't match the offer.

Link (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37121/20050824/pistons_sign_mo_evans_to_$45_million_offer_sheet/)

for that type of money the pistons can have evans

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 10:53 PM
for that type of money the pistons can have evans

You think 1.5M a year is too much? How much did you think he would get?

1Billups1
08-24-2005, 10:57 PM
I think Maurice Evans will be a good pickup for the Pistons, should have a good impact playing behind Prince.

picnroll
08-24-2005, 10:59 PM
So where does this leave Delfino? Lighting up with Darko?

milkyway21
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
So where does this leave Delfino? Lighting up with Darko?they can play Mascots and compete each other @ halftime.

ace3g
08-25-2005, 08:44 AM
yeah my bad about that guys when I saw the article the 4.5 million stuck out to me and I was like "what, that is too much" but I was forgetting that amount was over 3 years, so it is a reasonable contract

again my bad everyone

ABDENOUR POWER
08-25-2005, 10:00 AM
So where does this leave Delfino? Lighting up with Darko?

Both Delfino and Evans can play either the 2 or the 3. When they are in together, the Pistons will put Evans on the opposing teams top scorer, leaving Delfino on the other 2/3.

I'm interested to see what Darko and Delfino will do, they could have breakout years.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Kings watch Evans depart
He signs a three-year offer sheet with Detroit, and Geoff Petrie says Sacramento can't match it.
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13469305p-14310176c.html

Mo-Town it is.

Maurice "Mo" Evans is headed out of Sacramento and on to Detroit, where the hits have been coming for two straight seasons and the 26-year-old is looking to be the Pistons' version of a big-time backup singer.

Detroit has signed Evans to a three-year offer sheet that starts at $1.5 million next season. The Pistons may be hoping the overworked legs of shooting guard Richard Hamilton and small forward Tayshaun Prince can rest without worry on the team that was one game away from winning two straight NBA titles.

Despite Evans' status as a Kings restricted free agent - which stipulates the home team has a right to match the offer within seven days - team president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said Wednesday he couldn't match the offer if he wanted to.
Without salary cap space or exceptions, any offer higher than the approximately $895,000 offered by the Kings in late June would mean no mo' Mo. The $5 million mid-level exception that could have been used on Evans went to forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who was signed two weeks ago. The Pistons' offer is believed to be guaranteed for the first two years, with a team option for the third.

"We don't have any rights of any kind," said Petrie, who had not yet received the offer sheet but knew it was on its way. "It's unlikely that we would do it anyway at this point with the way our roster is."

Which is to say Petrie likes the Kings' roster as is, although it's not quite complete yet. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, teams must have at least 13 players (12 active, one inactive) and can have as many as 15 under certain circumstances.

According to Petrie, the Abdur-Rahim signing put the Kings' budgeted payroll for 13 players over the salary cap - including a slot for one who has yet to be signed. Considering co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof have made their desire to avoid luxury tax spending clear, the next addition will be the last and, most likely, not one of major consequence. Barring a trade, the new-look Kings are virtually in place.

"It's unlikely that we would keep a 14th or 15th guy that we would pay tax on," Petrie said. "There's still a lot of players out there. There'll be a lot of players in training camp who will be waived, and there will still be players available then. But the roster we have at the moment, the way it's comprised, are the guys who will play all the minutes.

"It's unpredictable. Sitting where I'm sitting today, I don't think I feel any rush to fill (the 13th spot), but that could change tomorrow."

On paper, the likely starting five of Mike Bibby, Bonzi Wells, Peja Stojakovic, Abdur-Rahim and Brad Miller is among the league's best, with six new additions since the Kings' five-game loss to Seattle in the first round of the playoffs.

Aside from signing lucky No. 13, the last bit of business is the future of restricted free agent Darius Songaila. The forward is being pursued by Chicago and Denver, with his return via a straight-up signing unlikely but a sign-and-trade with another team always possible.

The Kings - who are already "forward-rich," as Petrie says, with Abdur-Rahim, Stojakovic, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson - can match an offer for up to $5 million, because of the Early Bird rights they hold.

Evans' NBA initiation came back in the 2001-02 campaign, when he played in 10 games for Minnesota after going undrafted out of Texas in 2001. But he didn't stay in the league on the first try, playing overseas in Italy, Greece and Russia before signing with the Kings in 2004.

Evans - who made $620,046 last season - was a solid backup to shooting guard Doug Christie early, then to Cuttino Mobley after Christie was traded to Orlando. He contributed 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds per game and shot 44.2 percent from the field while averaging 19 minutes.

Evans and his agent, Roger Montgomery, did not return calls for comment.

Adding strength - The Kings have hired Daniel Shapiro as their strength and conditioning coach. Shapiro replaces Al Biancani, who retired in early July after 18 years.

Shapiro, who worked for the Seattle SuperSonics for seven years and the WNBA's Seattle Storm for three seasons earlier in his career, spent the last two as the strength coach for the University of Dayton men's and women's basketball teams.

FreshPrince22
08-25-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm excited about this. I think Dumars was smart to pull out of the Finley race early. He stole Indy's starting center to use as Shaq insurance, and grabbed a nice back-up swingman that will help us in our matchups with guards who like to get to the rim (Wade, Manu, etc). Hopefully this means Tayshaun won't be useless by the end of the season because of logging such heavy minutes.

Now if Flip can get Arroyo, Delfino, Darko, and Maxiell in the loop this year as well, it should be an interesting season.
________
How To Use Vapolution (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/)

genghisrex
08-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Damn Pistons. They are gonna be alot better with Evans. Evans is similar to Darvin Ham.
:lol

Evans fits a need for Detroit, which makes him a good pick-up, but since when has Darvin Ham done anything in the NBA?

FreshPrince22
08-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Evans is similar to Darvin Ham.

Hmmm, no. Darvin has zero offensive skills whatsoever aside from dunking. He cant hit a 2 foot shot to save his life. He shot 37% from the FREE THROW LINE last year. That and he's a Power Forward tweener.
________
Headshops (http://headshop.net/)

leemajors
08-27-2005, 02:50 AM
yeah but he sure broke that backboard in college! uhh, yeah.

THE X-FACTOR
08-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Damn Pistons. They are gonna be alot better with Evans. Evans is similar to Darvin Ham.

Evans is similar to Devin Brown who the Pistons also looked at but were scared away from his late season back problems.