PDA

View Full Version : Pick-1 (or Pick-0): 2015 Restricted Free Agency

Chinook
09-21-2014, 02:19 AM
So we all know by now that the Spurs are slated to have a max-contract slot open next summer (subject to change, of course). We have talked on multiple occasions about the various free agents we'd like the Spurs to pursue, usually of the star variety like Aldridge and Gasol. We also talked about certain bargain free agents like Millsap and Amir Johnson. But we've almost completely avoided restricted free agents. The RFA crop is actually pretty decent next summer. Here's RealGM's listing: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/future_free_agents/2016/R/Per_Game/0/NBA/player

Obviously, a reason why we haven't discussed them much is because the good ones are hard to pry away from their teams without having to overpay them. But the folks in other forums were making the point that, with the cap increasing so rapidly over the next few years, it makes a ton of sense to lock in as many long-term contracts as possible now. That's a big reason why giving Kawhi a five-year deal should be a priority, no matter the APY. But it also means that the Spurs may want to come out of next off-season with some (new) contracts that they like. They should have another cap window in 2017, but that is going to be post-explosion, so free agents are going to be more expensive and thus less valuable.

The thread has two purposes: First, I am asking you all if would you support the Spurs overpaying for an RFA next summer in order to lock in a young player ASAP. It sort of goes against the Spurs' principle to hand out big money to other teams' players, but this may be a special circumstance.

The second purpose is for posters to name an RFA (if any) which they'd most want the team to pursue next summer. In this scenario, the Spurs would have to overpay the player, either by offering a max contract (beginning at about $15 Million a year like it would for Kawhi) or by giving the player a deal significantly larger than his assume market value (like giving Patrick Beverly $7 Million a year when he's probably worth about half that). I recommend balancing out both the player's skill and the probability of the Spurs being able to snatch him, since a team pretty much gets one shot to sign RFAs (as they tie their cap up for three days after giving out an offer sheet).

Just list the player and indicate what type of contract you'd like the Spurs to hand out (like "max" or an actual number). For me, I'd probably go with one of Orlando's big, either Vucevic or O'Quinn. They're pretty similar players who can play both big spots, rebound well and score from anywhere inside the arc. The Magic want to keep both, but I can't imagine them sinking too much more into their front court with Frye on a long-term deal and them having just drafted Gordon (not to mention that they'll probably have a high pick next draft and may be in position to take another elite big prospect). I think offering Vuc a max deal or O'Quinn a $36M/4 deal would give them pause.

tl;dr: Read the bold. RFA list at link.

jon123spurs
09-21-2014, 03:02 AM
The names that really stood out to me are
1. Faried
2. Draymond Green
3. Tobias Harris
4. Tristian Thompson.
All very servicable big men who i can see becoming a great player in the spurs system. Me personally would have Faried but probably a long shot Denver lets him go. But Harris is really interesting i really like his game and under pop he could become a really good player IMO.

Silver&Black
09-21-2014, 03:36 AM
IDK...I'm gonna have to think about this one. But #1 priority should be re-signing Kawhi long term. After that...idk. Great thread though...give me a day or two to think about it.

I'm all over Aldridge....I say we back the money truck up to get that guy. He showed me everything I wanted to see against Dwight in last year's playoffs. Can't see Portland not giving/offering him a long term max contract though...and can't see SA overpaying for anybody...no matter how good they are.

Baam
09-21-2014, 04:00 AM
Glen Rice Jr : not sure how much money, really depends on the upcoming season for a low profile guy like him but the Wizz are gonna become very careful about their payroll leading up to Durant's free agency...

Alec Burks : much harder to get but i like him as well, maybe 10M? Meh the Jazz could match anything...

Since we have virtually zero SG under contract next season, they could both make sense... The bigs don't do much for me, I agree with giving a max deal to Vucevic tho.

jesterbobman
09-21-2014, 04:02 AM
I think the best use of money overall is seeking out a top level big, and adding a fourth big. (replacing Duncan/Ayres). I think the best possible combo is Millsap/O'Quinn, so I'd support overpaying for O'Quinn and keeping him as a good #2 centre. He also fits the "replace Ayres" idea if TD stays(and we have TD instead of attempting to get Millsap). The ability to get both obviously depends on exact cap level, how much Millsap would sign for etc, so both might be unlikely.

That depends on how perception of O'Quinn moves over the next year. He was 370 in NBA rank this year, which probably is a decent proxy as a measure of what he'll be paid. He deserves a lot more as he's miles better than that, and ~4m a year would be a fair/good deal. I don't think I'd want to pay him 9m a year, but the level of overpay necessary to pull him away being 6 or so might be acceptable.

Chinook
09-21-2014, 04:38 AM
The thing about O'Quinn is that he and Vucevic are pretty much the same player, so getting him for just over half of the max would be a steal, in my opinion. He can play with any of the Spurs' bigs, including Duncan if he stays on. I'm hoping Kyle stays under the radar like Green and that the Spurs can secure both of them for a combined APY a little less than a first-level max deal.

13/11/2 with a steal and three blocks make awesome per-36 numbers, and his advanced stats are pretty nice as well.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-21-2014, 05:29 AM
If Duncan stays and there's still money to spend I'd like them to go after Markieff Morris with something like 4/40 or similar.

If Duncan goes, which is unlikely IMO, then SnT Green to Cle could be a good option and then go after Clay Thompson. Vucevic would also be OK but very unlikely he could play with Splitter and also Orlando would probably be dumb enough to match a max offer, as he's not worth that at all.

Another player of note would be the too obvious Jimmy Butler if he could find his shooting again, though not sure if we could talk about the Spurs system the way it is if Duncan is gone.

Chinook
09-21-2014, 05:35 AM
Hell no, I wouldn't trade Green just to max out Klay. Danny is essentially the O'Quinn to Thompson's Vucevic.

exstatic
09-21-2014, 07:18 AM
The whole list is pretty meh, and would have to be overpaid. Spurs don't overpay.

Pick-0

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Spurs kick the can down the road to 2016, when the new TV deal kicks in and the cap jumps.

100%duncan
09-21-2014, 07:43 AM
1. No.
2. No one stands out tbh.

benefactor
09-21-2014, 09:15 AM
:lol any team that overpays Klay Thompson. That's the old "regret it before the ink is dry" contract.

I'm pretty much with the two posts above me, tbh.

DrunkTXLabrat
09-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Diaw, Anderson, and Draymond Green would be a rowdy stacking of versatile 3/4. LJC and Bertans might have a hard time finding minutes in that kinda scenario, but i know they'd flourish when they did. I also like Tristan Thompson or, to a lesser degree, Ken Faried.

exstatic
09-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Diaw, Anderson, and Draymond Green would be a rowdy stacking of versatile 3/4. LJC and Bertans might have a hard time finding minutes in that kinda scenario, but i know they'd flourish when they did. I also like Tristan Thompson or, to a lesser degree, Ken Faried.

Which is why the Spurs will likely not target someone like Draymond, who in addition to standing in their young players' way, plays NO fucking defense at all.

Captivus
09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Tobias Harris could explode this year, I like him. I would, depending on this season, overpay.
I also like Vucevic...looks like Orlando is gonna have to pay next season.

Im not sure about this pick...Brandon Knight...idk...I just want to mention him.

Andthentherewas21
09-21-2014, 10:34 AM
So we all know by now that the Spurs are slated to have a max-contract slot open next summer (subject to change, of course).

Chinook (or anybody), do you have a link to anywhere with the Spurs Salaries updated for the 2015 FA period. Shamsports and Hoopshype haven't included the Parker extension yet, and I'm not sure they have the correct yearly allottment for Diaw's contract

jyra
09-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Zach Lowe takes a closer look at some extension candidates from that list:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-extensions-2014-tristan-thompson-markieff-morris-brandon-knight-alec-burks-jimmy-butler-nikola-vucevic/

While I don't think anyone on that list is really worth overpaying for, Shumpert and Jeff Taylor are decent buy low targets.
Especially Shumpert doesn't seem to be in a very good situation with the Knicks and their crowded backcourt. He was also mentioned in a number of trade rumors last season and the team seems to prefer Tim Hardaway Jr. to him.

baseline bum
09-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Spurs best option is to try to convince Duncan to play another year and try to mold Splitter into more of a scorer.

baseline bum
09-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Zach Lowe takes a closer look at some extension candidates from that list:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-extensions-2014-tristan-thompson-markieff-morris-brandon-knight-alec-burks-jimmy-butler-nikola-vucevic/

While I don't think anyone on that list is really worth overpaying for, Shumpert and Jeff Taylor are decent buy low targets.
Especially Shumpert doesn't seem to be in a very good situation with the Knicks and their crowded backcourt. He was also mentioned in a number of trade rumors last season and the team seems to prefer Tim Hardaway Jr. to him.

Never have been a Shumpert fan. The national media was blowing this guy up because he played for New York just like they did Lin and Ewing and are now doing with Hardaway.

Raven
09-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Glen Rice Jr : not sure how much money, really depends on the upcoming season for a low profile guy like him but the Wizz are gonna become very careful about their payroll leading up to Durant's free agency...

Alec Burks : much harder to get but i like him as well, maybe 10M? Meh the Jazz could match anything...

Since we have virtually zero SG under contract next season, they could both make sense... The bigs don't do much for me, I agree with giving a max deal to Vucevic tho.

i doubt they'd match 3M for burks tbh

jyra
09-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Never have been a Shumpert fan. The national media was blowing this guy up because he played for New York just like they did Lin and Ewing and are now doing with Hardaway.

I definitely wouldn't pay him starter money. His shooting percentages have been pretty bad but his shooting form looks fine, so he should be able improve with the help of the Spurs' coaching staff.

apalisoc_9
09-21-2014, 11:22 AM
If for some reason the spurs are unable to retain Green, Buttler would be an OK replacement. He's not the shooter that danny is and is an inferior defender, but he should be able to at least fill a hole. Buttler would most likely resign with the Bulls though.

Vucevic is a no brainer IMO..Duncan will eventually retire. I'd be ok with the spurs overpaying a million or two.

CGD
09-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Not a big fan of the 2011 draft crop, which will feature many of next summer's notable RFAs. If I had to choose I take Vucevic. I think his skills will actually match his eventual pay. Others will get paid big deals based on name recognition (Farid) but in don't think they're worth it.

Mugen
09-21-2014, 11:52 AM
The only 2015 FA I'd want is Fat Gasol if it was doable. He's a longshot so i'm with bb on this one and think the Spurs need to convince Timmy to go for the 3peat tbh.

CGD
09-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Sidebar: I can't wait for the inevitable asshole Portland offer for Reggie Jackson, which forces OKC to match an offer they really don't want to.

Chinook
09-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Again, an advantage of signing RFAs rather than vested-max players is that the Spurs would have a little money left over to give to Tim or Manu or to use on another player. As far as people being reluctant to overpay, I understand. However, I think we'll see the definition of that change as the league moves forward with the cap. For example, if what people are saying about the cap increase comes to pass, the MLE should rise to about $30M/4 in 2017. So what seems like a pretty large contract now given out by desperate teams like Detroit and Orlando will instead be what normal contenders can offer. Max deals for players coming off rookie contracts will start at about $19 Million, which is near where Leonard's deal will end. What seems like an overpay now will just be what those players will get in three years.

Furthermore, I'm of the belief that contracts only matter in terms of opportunity cost, meaning what teams missed out on because they are paying their players. The Spurs are in a use-it-or-lose-it place next off-season, due mainly to Leonard's contract. They won't have space in 2016. In 2017, they would have a lot of space, but that would come at the expense of losing most of the current crop of role-players. Also, Parker would be on the downside of his career, and Green would be entering his post-prime. That's not to mention that Pop would be likely to retire by then. In my opinion, 2017 is pretty much a rebuilding year unless the Spurs nab an impact player or two in 2015.

Chinook
09-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Spurs best option is to try to convince Duncan to play another year and try to mold Splitter into more of a scorer.

In my opinion, the Spurs will know if Duncan is going to retire long before they have to make their off-season plan. So if they are in major free agency at all, it will be because Tim doesn't want to play (or is willing to take yet another major pay cut). There's simply no way the Spurs encourage him to retire to pursue another player.

Chinook
10-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Anyone's mind changed after seeing these new cap projections?

I've sort of changed my mind on maxing out a "star", like Dallas did with Parsons. But I would be in favor of overpaying two role-players whose combined salaries fit into a lower-max slot. O'Quinn is one of them. Maybe a Burks would be another. If Rice plays well, I would be interested in him. He comes with the added benefit of being an Arenas free agent, so the Spurs could pull a Houston and strongly discourage the Wizards matching by offering Rice a 5/5/10/10 deal which would average out to $7.5 Million of the Spurs cap while being a time bomb on Washington's.

exstatic
10-08-2014, 07:06 AM

I've sort of changed my mind on maxing out a "star", like Dallas did with Parsons. But I would be in favor of overpaying two role-players whose combined salaries fit into a lower-max slot. O'Quinn is one of them. Maybe a Burks would be another. If Rice plays well, I would be interested in him. He comes with the added benefit of being an Arenas free agent, so the Spurs could pull a Houston and strongly discourage the Wizards matching by offering Rice a 5/5/10/10 deal which would average out to $7.5 Million of the Spurs cap while being a time bomb on Washington's.

Not so much of a time bomb now, with the new TV deal.

Chinook
10-12-2014, 03:20 AM
It's just an expense they can't really afford with Wall making the max and them wanting to save a max slot for Durant. That is, unless they give up on keeping Beal. I can't see them handing out $27 Million or so for two-guards in 2017. With Beal's injury, it looks like Rice will get a lot minutes to start the year. We'll see if he makes himself out to be a legit NBA player.

In other recent 2015 RFA news, Tristan Thompson looks like he may get maxed out next summer. He may put up strong numbers in relief of Love, and I doubt the Cavs match offers for him unless Love shocks the league by leaving Cleveland. I don't want him, as his lack of range makes him a poor fit next to Splitter and his lack of size makes him a poor fit next to Diaw. I can't see any team signing him and not being disappointed.

I'd be interested in a short-term deal for Derrick Williams (two-year at around the MLE with a PO for the second year), but the Spurs will be inundated with combo-forwards next year.

Jeff Withey has a chance to be another Arenas FA candidate, as the Pelicans are going to have to start thinking about the amount of salary Davis is going to take on his Rose-max extension. Could be $25 Million APY.

jesterbobman
10-12-2014, 03:59 AM
It's just an expense they can't really afford with Wall making the max and them wanting to save a max slot for Durant. That is, unless they give up on keeping Beal. I can't see them handing out $27 Million or so for two-guards in 2017. With Beal's injury, it looks like Rice will get a lot minutes to start the year. We'll see if he makes himself out to be a legit NBA player.

In other recent 2015 RFA news, Tristan Thompson looks like he may get maxed out next summer. He may put up strong numbers in relief of Love, and I doubt the Cavs match offers for him unless Love shocks the league by leaving Cleveland. I don't want him, as his lack of range makes him a poor fit next to Splitter and his lack of size makes him a poor fit next to Diaw. I can't see any team signing him and not being disappointed.

I, like a lot of people have noticed that Tristan Thompson agent is Rich Paul. He happens to be LeBron James' agent, so the Cavs may pay Tristan. Not that any weird agent stuff happens in the NBA.

Chinook
10-12-2014, 04:21 AM
I, like a lot of people have noticed that Tristan Thompson agent is Rich Paul. He happens to be LeBron James' agent, so the Cavs may pay Tristan. Not that any weird agent stuff happens in the NBA.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. The Cavs have to be weary of paying for a third forward, especially when James is only going to play the four more as he ages. They need a center, and in order to complete a trade for a good one, they'll need room under the apron. Reupping Thompson would hurt that. I'm sure the two sides could work out a deal if there is enough mutual interest, but I think it would be really inadvisable.

elemento
10-12-2014, 04:27 AM
I like O'Quinn but 9m/year for him is way too much. I doubt he makes more than 5m/year next season and I don't think that ORL matches it.

Said that, I don't see anyone worth gambling next season. Maybe some guys to fill the roster with small contracts, but that's it. I think SAS FO will focus on re-signing Danny and Leonard.

Personally, I'd like to see the Spurs getting a new young BIG. But a good one to develop, not Ayres-esque.

Chinook
10-12-2014, 04:37 AM
I like O'Quinn but 9m/year for him is way too much. I doubt he makes more than 5m/year next season and I don't think that ORL matches it.

Said that, I don't see anyone worth gambling next season. Maybe some guys to fill the roster with small contracts, but that's it. I think SAS FO will focus on re-signing Danny and Leonard.

Personally, I'd like to see the Spurs getting a new young BIG. But a good one to develop, not Ayres-esque.

I think $5 Million a year for O'Quinn would be robbery. I think he has a chance to be the Spurs' best big by 2017 (in a good way). He can score from a lot of different places, is a strong rebounder, and like Tim he gets most of his blocks below the rim. He can also legitimately play both big positions.

I have my other targets for 2015 free agency. But I want the Spurs to come out of it with O'Quinn or better, no matter what it costs.

hsxvvd
10-12-2014, 04:49 AM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

and then who gives a fuck.

jesterbobman
10-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Chinook, would you be willing to give up a first round pick to get O'Quinn?

e.g., Kyle O'Quinn for Jeff Ayres and a first?

To me, it gives us O'Quinn for this season, gives us his rights as a restricted free agent(And his cap hold will be much smaller than the cost to acquire him), which means we should be able to upgrade more as a result.

Early scanning of the 2015 draft at 2015 SG options (A backup 2 seems like the biggest future need) seem limited to RJ Hunter(I'd be glad to get), and a bunch of meh. Is a first for an extra 4m in cap space(Cost to sign - Cap hold, Guessing ~5m - his 1.181m cap hold).

I think it's probably worth it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-22-2014, 04:00 AM

To me, it gives us O'Quinn for this season, gives us his rights as a restricted free agent(And his cap hold will be much smaller than the cost to acquire him), which means we should be able to upgrade more as a result.

Early scanning of the 2015 draft at 2015 SG options (A backup 2 seems like the biggest future need) seem limited to RJ Hunter(I'd be glad to get), and a bunch of meh. Is a first for an extra 4m in cap space(Cost to sign - Cap hold, Guessing ~5m - his 1.181m cap hold).

Totally, but unlikely Orlando would do it. Spurs don't need their 2015 1st round pick ( unless something really shit happens, so lottery protected ) as they have a couple of rookies in Europe who might make the jump next season. No way the Spurs carry 3 rooks on the roster even if Duncan and Manu retire, which is also unlikely.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Considering the Spurs are in a small market, the notion of overpaying 2 role players like Quinn and Rice ( if he pans out) to the lower max slot makes me want to puke all over my keyboard and your avatar. No offense.

jyra
10-22-2014, 08:29 AM
O'Quinn has started taking and making threes in preseason after only attempting four combined 3s over his first two seasons. It's too early to tell if it's just a fluke (averaged 26% from 3 in college) but if he can sustain that level of shooting his price is certain to go up by a lot. He kind of reminds me of what Malcolm Thomas could have brought to the team.

Chinook
10-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Considering the Spurs are in a small market, the notion of overpaying 2 role players like Quinn and Rice ( if he pans out) to the lower max slot makes me want to puke all over my keyboard and your avatar. No offense.

The point of it would be that the "overpayment" would really only amount to MLE contracts after a couple of years. If O'Quinn continues on his trend, he'll be worth $10-12 Million under this current cap. To get him at $8 Million APY under the new cap would be a steal, and all it would take is one year of giving him a huge deal, in a year where the Spurs will just have that cap space lying around without anyone better to spend it on.

It's not quite the same thing with Rice/Burks. Neither one of those guys projects to be the player O'Quinn can be. They're MLE players (Burks worth a little less and Rice potentially being worth a little more), so their deals won't age as well. But signing O'Quinn pretty much kills the team's chances to bring in another big ticket free agent. There will be some players who are intriguing for the $8-Million slot the team would have available, but not many, especially not many young guys. Beli would probably stay and get a largish raise as a result. I'm really not all that intrigued by that possibility.

Chinook
10-22-2014, 09:15 AM

There are a lot of benefits. O'Quinn would be an upgrade to Baynes as the fourth big, in my opinion. He can space the floor while also being a defensive presence in the paint. He fits great with Splitter, pretty well with Tim (speed being a bit of an issue) and great with Diaw. You're right about the Spurs getting O'Quinn as an RFA, which means he'll only count for $1.7 Million as a cap hold (bigger than his QO). Also, the Spurs wouldn't have a cap hold for their first-rounder, so that would offset half of Kyle's hold right there. The Spurs would also get O'Quinn's Bird rights, which means they could offer him a five-year contract, which has the benefits of keeping his salary cheap for longer and for giving them a tool to outbid their rivals without spending more APY.

If the Spurs are okay with Anderson playing two-guard, I think they should do this deal. O'Quinn/Splitter, Diaw/Baynes is a decent enough big rotation even if they strike out in free agency. It also allows the team to bring in at least one impact player even if Tim and Manu stay on. Only real downside is that it kills the Spurs 2016 cap space, since O'Quinn and Leonard will see about $13 Million in greater cap hits between July 2015 and July 2016. If the team can secure another long-term deal next summer along with re-signing the young guys (including O'Quinn in this scenario), then the team could be set up well for four years.

Baam
10-22-2014, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't give up our first round pick, way too precious at this point in time... Picks get you the kind of upside you don't find in free agency... I think we can get a big in the first round next year with the way the draft is looking, and we could even throw Mills in a deal to move up or something.

Chinook
10-22-2014, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't give up our first round pick, way too precious at this point in time... Picks get you the kind of upside you don't find in free agency... I think we can get a big in the first round next year with the way the draft is looking, and we could even throw Mills in a deal to move up or something.

It's possible that the Spurs' pick is more valuable now than it will be at any point later in the year. Orlando needs some incentive to do this deal. They seem to be trying to win now, so they probably don't want to give up strong role-players for just any return. Honestly, Baynes for O'Quinn makes the most sense for both teams, as the Magic could use a legit backup center more than Ayres. Plus Baynes should be affordable to re-sign. But the Spurs probably don't want to trade Aron, and even if they did, he can't be traded until the 15th of January, I believe.

Ayres and the first for O'Quinn and a second would be nice.

Chinook
10-22-2014, 11:03 AM
So Vucevic is out after he signed a $52M/4 extension last night. He and Frye are an affordable front court at $21 Million APY. Dunno how this affects the O'Quinn situation. On one hand, the starters are cheap enough to where a mid-level deal wouldn't hurt them. On the other hand, if they draft a big high next year, they'll have four long-term contracts for their four and five, which makes giving a fifth to Kyle a bad deal (not to mention the Magic also have Harris to reup and a couple of other combo-fowards on rookie deals). It might make sense to try to trade for O'Quinn rather than leaving it up to the draft to decide whether the Magic match a reasonable offer sheet. I think there's a deal to be had.

Chinook
10-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Since this is the unofficial O'Quinn thread, I'll just drop this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35rk9ve9jZ4

thiste
10-24-2014, 02:50 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

and then who gives a fuck.

I want Tim to retire with 7.

hsxvvd
10-25-2014, 03:41 AM
I'm sure next year I'll be be saying 7 and then who gives a fuck too....lol.

cd021
01-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Enes Kantor would be my pick for this off season. It seems highly unlikely that Gasol, or Milsap leave. The only established bigs that the Spurs probably have a decent shot at would be Hibbert or maybe Monroe. Kantor has alot of offense skill and is still developing but has yet to find consistent minutes on Utah. He backed up Milsap his first two seasons after being drafted as the 3rd overall pick. Marvin Williams eat up minutes last season in small ball lineups and Golbert has been very productive this season.

There's a decent chance that they may balk at a big offer sheet and let him walk in favor of Golbert or a player taken in the lottery.

Pairing him with Splitter and having Green and Leonard (assuming both are back) should help hide any of the defensive issues he might have. He's only 23 and is averaging 14 ppg and 7 rpg in 26 mpg.

There is a decent chance that Utah could wind up the #1 pick in this draft and Okafor (C) is viewed as the favorite to be the #1 pick. If thats the case, they may not even extend a QA.

Mr Bones
01-12-2015, 12:17 PM
I love what Draymond Green has done this season, and think a Kawhi/Draymond combo on the floor would be incredibly versatile, but I just don't think there's any way Golden State doesn't keep him. They'll probably need to do something with David Lee's (or Iguodala's) contract to avoid going into huge payroll tax penalties, but it looks like they'll find a way to figure it out. Outside of that, none of the RFAs seem that appealing to me, especially for a big price tag. Henry Sims, at a discount, might be intriguing as a 4th or 5th big, but that's about it.

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2015, 07:58 AM
What a difference a year makes. :lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 10:30 AM
1. No.
2. No one stands out tbh.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2015, 10:33 AM
The Spurs have been built by NOT overpaying player. The last player the overpaid for, I'm we all know who he is, it didn't turn out so well (I'm not talking about Parker).

Spurs pay FMV or BMV for players. That is why they sustain the success they have had over the years. Spurs are the best at developing scrubs or castaways and making them very good NBA players.

Chinook
07-15-2015, 11:19 AM
What a difference a year makes. :lol

Indeed :lol.

Axegrinder
07-15-2015, 11:48 AM
O'Quinn throughout this thread? Talk about setting the bar low..lol. Seems obvious Spursfans been beat down by FAs so many times in past, too gunshy to have much faith in idea that they could actually snag a big fish

BillMc
07-15-2015, 12:08 PM
The Spurs have been built by NOT overpaying player. The last player the overpaid for, I'm we all know who he is, it didn't turn out so well (I'm not talking about Parker).

Spurs pay FMV or BMV for players. That is why they sustain the success they have had over the years. Spurs are the best at developing scrubs or castaways and making them very good NBA players.

Well said.

Chinook
07-15-2015, 12:12 PM
O'Quinn throughout this thread? Talk about setting the bar low..lol. Seems obvious Spursfans been beat down by FAs so many times in past, too gunshy to have much faith in idea that they could actually snag a big fish

It wasn't about luring a big fish (there was a Pick-3 thread covering that). It was about having a limited amount of cap space in light of the re-signings. The Spurs didn't have a max slot open after Parker took his extension. It didn't seem obvious that Tim was coming back, so trading Splitter wasn't really an option (and Tiago was coming off an awesome playoff run).

So the idea was that the Spurs had $15 Million to replace Tim and Manu and remain competitive. It's easy to see how differently it turned out now. But this off-season wasn't even a consideration in May, let alone in October.

will_spurs
07-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Which is why the Spurs will likely not target someone like Draymond, who in addition to standing in their young players' way, plays NO fucking defense at all.

Interesting take ;)

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Interesting take ;)

:lol

Bruno
07-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Kyle O'Quinn, really?
LMA will be a free agent in 2015 and he is a Texan, Spurs should sign him instead of Kyle O'Quinn.

Bruno
07-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Kyle O'Quinn, really?
LMA will be a free agent in 2015 and he is a Texan, Spurs should sign him instead of Kyle O'Quinn.

:lmao Typical delusional Spurs fan.

Chinook
07-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Bruno done lost it.