PDA

View Full Version : Does Diaw start next season?

KL2
09-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Will we see less TD-Splitter? As great as a defensive combo both of them are, they severely limit the offense because they can't stretch the floor. Spacing it seems has become more important than ever with Leonard's emergence, it also helps the ball movement. Examples, game 6 of the WCF when Pop started Bonner, after game 2 of the finals when Pop started Diaw for Splitter.

Or Can an a Splitter/TD combo work with Leonard?

Fireball
09-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Diaw might start more games but Splitter will still be the main starter ... Tiago will at least start against teams with a stretch 4 PF and teams with two strong big men.

littlecoyotecoin
09-22-2014, 08:09 AM
He starts in 17% of the games this season.

spursparker9
09-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Start Diaw?

Pop should monitor his minutes more closely. He went through 2 nba finals, 1 euro tournament and 1 fiba world cup.

Dex
09-22-2014, 08:43 AM
I think the Duncan / Splitter combo works best over the long haul and in the big picture of league, as it's the strongest defensive combo we can put together, and Duncan and Splitter have generally learned to co-exist. You do raise a good point about Leonard, though, especially since the FO seems to be planning to utilize him more in the post.

I also like Diaw with the bench, as his passing style of play is suited beautifully to go beside guys like Manu, Marco, and Mills. Splitter just doesn't seem to be as volatile with that group.

I think you stick with Duncan / Splitter starting through the season which will stack up the most wins, then selectively move Diaw into the starting lineup depending upon if our opponents necessitate size (Houston, Memphis) or spacing (OKC).

wildchild
09-22-2014, 09:08 AM
We need Diaw to help space the floor and open up driving lanes, the Spurs are more dynamic offensive team with Leonard-Diaw-Duncan.
People say with Tiago the offense struggles creating good looks but without him the Spurs have problems on the defensive end and rebounding. I disagree, with Green-Leonard-Duncan rebounding isn't an issue.
I think Parker-Green-Leonard-Diaw-Duncan was the most balanced and effective lineup this last season.

However, I expect Pop'll change the starting lineup during the regular season to test the options, I'd like he can find the way that Leonard-Splitter-Duncan working offensively but it seems really hard.

urunobili
09-22-2014, 09:18 AM
No. Keep Diaw with the second unit until needed in the playoffs just like last year's run.

DesignatedT
09-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Nah stick with Splitter. Might not be the most efficient lineup offensively with TD/Tiago but it allows TD to take the easier assignment defensively and helps conserve his body throughout the long grind of the season.

ginobilized
09-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Splitter is the #1 screen setter in the league, he's vital to the offense with the first unit. Green and Parker are the main beneficiaries of open shots because Tiago is an elite screen-setter.

The beauty of it all is that this team has an answer for just about lineup they will face in the league. High hopes for a healthy season and another strong showing.

outmap
09-22-2014, 09:42 AM
I think Timmy should come off the bench. Diaw and Splitter starting may be good, I hope Pop tries to experiment on it early in the season, see if it works.

littlecoyotecoin
09-22-2014, 10:16 AM
No. Keep Diaw with the second unit until needed in the playoffs just like last year's run.

Seriously, this. Pop knows what works with those guys already. He didn't "figure out" that Bonner could space the floor v. Ibaka, he just bided his time until it was ripe for the picking. He knows who he can steal a few minutes of post defense against with Bonner. He knows when and against whom to use Duncan Splitter and Duncan Diaw.

These are all relatively known commodities. I would be surprised to see many changes in these rotations, despite all the gnashing of teeth over it. It worked great, it will probably continue to do so.

Much more interesting events will be if regular season rest can be obtained from the end of the bench.

Boris is no spring chicken anymore. After a lot of off-season international play, can Austin Daye and Kyle Anderson take a minute or two each off of his average PT, and still get us to 60 regular season wins?

Don't laugh, but can Austin Daye and to a lesser extent Kyle Anderson do the same for Tim Duncan?

Can Ayers eat as many or more minutes on the way to 60 wins, as he did last year? Can he show even a little improvement in his second year? Any improvement would be gravy. Will he be able to cover for Baynes' absence, if Baynes doesn't return?

Same goes for Marco. He was a minute eating beast in that 62 win season last year. Can he do it again, while maybe even showing a little second year improvement?

Will Baynes return to provide this kind of relief, as well, or do we get a guard, forward or center to replace him? Do we roll with an open roster spot?

Do Cojo, Marco, Anderson sufficiently absorb Patty's minutes early in the season so Manu and Tony don't have to increase their minutes at point? Or, does Baynes spot get filled with a guard because they are suffering?

Duncan, Parker, Boris, Green, Leonard, Bonner, Splitter, and Mills...it's all about maintaining their trajectories this year. Minimizing the declines of the older. Maintaining upward slopes of the younger, but their roles won't change much. Boris probably won't be starting much more this year than he did last year. It's all about organic internal growth this year, and health.

if we get something welcome and new out of Anderson, Daye, or that 15th spot if Baynes doesn't return, great. But, let's just make sure we're whole in May.

I hit return a lot.

Mr. Body
09-22-2014, 10:47 AM
I like the strong defense to start, and then the mutlifaceted attack of the bench can rip teams apart.

superbigtime
09-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I think it's going to vary alot but Splitter will get most starts. With as much international ball as the two have been playing, it would be nice to have another decent big (ahem, Baynes I don't know about Ayres being much better this year) just to take some minutes off the two of them and Pop maybe even occasionally sits them, I hope.

Old School 44
09-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Primarily going with the Splitter/Duncan was good for 62 wins last year, I say you stay with that combo. I wouldn't even start Diaw during the regular season if Splitter were injured. As Pop typically does, I'd start someone else from the bench so you don't mess up the rotation.

littlecoyotecoin
09-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Primarily going with the Splitter/Duncan was good for 62 wins last year, I say you stay with that combo. I wouldn't even start Diaw during the regular season if Splitter were injured. As Pop typically does, I'd start someone else from the bench so you don't mess up the rotation.

Yes. 62, and that's with us shutting down and basically throwing the last two, iirc. We could have easily had 64 if those last two had any meaning. A 64 win regular season with shitloads of early injuries was near perfection. I am not sure what the point is of second guessing that success.

KL2
09-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Diaw would allow the offense to run to perfection. Remember, Duncan wouldn't have to be the 1st or even 2nd, option, you could give a big portion of the scoring load to Leonard. Leonard benefits by being able to attack the paint, you can run post plays for him, he can rebound with big men and guards, it opens up the paint for him to take high % shots that he's proven to make. When he penetrates, the defense collapses, he kicks out to the wide open man, they break down the defense with passing to a wide open 3. Pretty much everyone benefits out there on the court.

The Spurs would come out guns blazing, allowing them to jump out to huge leads and take control early, by half time the game is already over. Duncan would rarely have to play.

KL2
09-22-2014, 11:54 AM
That's the way I see it. Pop is probably going to mess with the lineups though. I would really like Diaw starting so they can gain chemistry, it's good already, but it can be even better, I'm not a fan of springing it up mid playoffs.

littlecoyotecoin
09-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Diaw would allow the offense to run to perfection. Remember, Duncan wouldn't have to be the 1st or even 2nd, option, you could give a big portion of the scoring load to Leonard. Leonard benefits by being able to attack the paint, you can run post plays for him, he can rebound with big men and guards, it opens up the paint for him to take high % shots that he's proven to make. When he penetrates, the defense collapses, he kicks out to the wide open man, they break down the defense with passing to a wide open 3. Pretty much everyone benefits out there on the court.

The Spurs would come out guns blazing, allowing them to jump out to huge leads and take control early, by half time the game is already over. Duncan would rarely have to play.

Yes. We know all that. Boris is great. He really lubricates the offense. However, Duncan already played 30 minutes or less last season, and I predict he'll play less this year. Your strategy would have to propel them to something like a 70 win Bulls season to be significantly different than what we already had. Even then, without the injuries last year, if the games were meaningful at the end, maybe with the rotations like they were, they approach 70, too. It's a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" argument, except your hope isn't even two birds, its 1.02 birds.

Malik Hairston
09-22-2014, 12:55 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what Pop does..

Leonard was much, much more effective playing without the Duncan-Splitter frontcourt, the disparity in production was huge, tbh..

OTOH, while Leonard/Green are the anchors of the Spurs' defense nowadays, I don't know if they are sufficient enough to mask the Parker/Diaw/Duncan trio on defense..

Difficult decision for Pop, I suspect it will be matchup-based in the playoffs, which are the only games that matter, obviously..

It probably makes more sense to leave Splitter/Duncan/Leonard/Green together and maintain the elite level of defense during the regular season..

Chinook
09-22-2014, 01:40 PM
I think the most important thing that can come from next regular season is Kawhi solidifying himself as a go-to offensive option. So I'd be inclined to not start Duncan/Splitter. Just make Tiago the third big, which should help to compensate for Green subbing out. I'd like to see the team add a better four than Bonner, however. They'll need some offense with Mills out.

DrunkTXLabrat
09-22-2014, 01:41 PM
I think Timmy should come off the bench. Diaw and Splitter starting may be good, I hope Pop tries to experiment on it early in the season, see if it works.

i don't know if your'e joking or not. but i actually like this idea the best. I hope Pop does "mad scientist" a starting lineup of Parker, Green, Kawhi, Diaw, Splitter. At least for a few games. As bold as it is, Splitter has proven his starting caliber on both ends of the floor. Diaw has proven his starting caliber offensive versatility. Saving Timmy is always the goal, so check that box. Timmy would have the edge on bench bigs and gassed starting bigs. A timmy bench might seem under-powered, but at some point it's due a Mills, Manu boost.

Malik Hairston
09-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Duncan isn't coming off the bench, tbh:lol..

I'm sure he would be fine with it, but that's a spit in the face..

He'll probably play less than 25 MPG this season, so Pop can just sub him out early..

Dre_7
09-22-2014, 03:25 PM
It all depends on matchups. I can see Splitter and Duncan starting most games. However, I think Diaw will start on occasion depending on match ups, health, and weather or not Duncan is resting.

look_at_g_shred
09-22-2014, 04:05 PM
As others have implied, he starts based on matchups. Not many teams in the NBA have what it takes to stop the versatility of our second unit. Splitter/Diaw/Manu/Marco/Mills . There is just so much offensive firepower from that group. They can kill you from outside and inside.

Warlord23
09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Trivia question regarding the 2013 regular season. Name the Spur who had:
- the highest PER on the team
- the best Drtg and defensive win shares
- the best rebound rate
- 2nd highest usage rate

Answer: not a guy you want to bring off the bench if you want to win 60+ games

Brunodf
09-22-2014, 06:05 PM

You are assuming that Diaw 2.0 will show up in the regular season after winning the championship/big contract this season... Also starting Diaw makes TD carry a larger role on the defensive end...

Mugen
09-22-2014, 06:21 PM
No question, Tiago should start. He's by far the most versatile defensive big on the roster and him playing heavy minutes is key for keeping both Tim/Boris fresh for the playoffs.

TD 21
09-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Nah stick with Splitter. Might not be the most efficient lineup offensively with TD/Tiago but it allows TD to take the easier assignment defensively and helps conserve his body throughout the long grind of the season.

This is just not true. Who Duncan defends has virtually nothing to do the caliber of player they are and virtually everything to do with how much mobility/range they possess.

As far as the question, there's no reason to think they won't continue to determine it based on the match-up, which means Splitter will be the usual starter. Ideally, it would be nice to start Diaw or at least a rangier/more mobile power forward full time. But the issue with that is, it means Diaw would have to play significantly more minutes and Bonner would have to be a full time rotation player.

SupremeGuy
09-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Depends on the team we're playing that night, tbh.

Galileo
09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Trivia question regarding the 2013 regular season. Name the Spur who had:
- the highest PER on the team
- the best Drtg and defensive win shares
- the best rebound rate
- 2nd highest usage rate

Answer: not a guy you want to bring off the bench if you want to win 60+ games

Blair?

AFBlue
09-22-2014, 08:22 PM
I think Pop will be a mad scientist with the roatations again this year in an effort to get players more rest and keep the team challenges to continually perform. I would expect Diaw to start with more than one frontcourt mix and backup at three different positions. Should be fun.

TMTTRIO
09-22-2014, 08:23 PM
We're fine with our starting unit. We need a good playmaker/sixth man kind of player coming off the bench. I don't see Manu playing very much at all and with Patty Mills out we need him out there to help the second unit.

Beaverfuzz
09-22-2014, 08:35 PM
No, Diaw is great coming off the bench.

outmap
09-22-2014, 09:12 PM
i don't know if your'e joking or not. but i actually like this idea the best. I hope Pop does "mad scientist" a starting lineup of Parker, Green, Kawhi, Diaw, Splitter. At least for a few games. As bold as it is, Splitter has proven his starting caliber on both ends of the floor. Diaw has proven his starting caliber offensive versatility. Saving Timmy is always the goal, so check that box. Timmy would have the edge on bench bigs and gassed starting bigs. A timmy bench might seem under-powered, but at some point it's due a Mills, Manu boost.

I wasn't joking. Experimenting with the line-up has been a staple in Pop's system, the goal is to preserve Duncan (and Manu) until the playoffs, not to win 60 games during the "regular" season nor for individual players to have their "stats", if we win a ton of games while messing up with the line-up will just be a bonus but not the ultimate goal. This is the year we repeat! :lobt2::toast

exstatic
09-22-2014, 09:20 PM
I wasn't joking. Experimenting with the line-up has been a staple in Pop's system, the goal is to preserve Duncan (and Manu) until the playoffs, not to win 60 games during the "regular" season nor for individual players to have their "stats", if we win a ton of games while messing up with the line-up will just be a bonus but not the ultimate goal. This is the year we repeat! :lobt2::toast

The goals have changed slightly

1) rest
1.0001) wins

Pop doesn't throw nearly as many games as he used to. He's also never going to bring Duncan off the bench unless it's maybe one game coming back from injury time off.

Prose
09-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Will we see less TD-Splitter? As great as a defensive combo both of them are, they severely limit the offense because they can't stretch the floor. Spacing it seems has become more important than ever with Leonard's emergence, it also helps the ball movement. Examples, game 6 of the WCF when Pop started Bonner, after game 2 of the finals when Pop started Diaw for Splitter.

Or Can an a Splitter/TD combo work with Leonard?
let splitter be the work horse and the TD/Splitter combo is great defensively. When we play OKC and a few other teams in which we need to pull the shotblocker out of the pain we slot in diaw or bonner. That is the beauty of the spurs, it dosent matter who starts.

cd021
09-22-2014, 09:25 PM
I like the idea of Diaw starting ,actually. With Splitter coming off the bench the Spurs have more options in terms of units i.e. Anderson, Daye or Bonner at the 4 along with Cojo, Ginobili and Belinelli.

Diaw does a lot of have mileage recently. But he could play around the same amount of minutes as he did off the bench. He averaged 23.5 mpg when coming off the bench.

Prose
09-22-2014, 09:27 PM
or just bring duncan off the bench with diaw and splitter as stated above. couldnt see it happening beacuse pop wants to have that continuity from season to playoffs

exstatic
09-22-2014, 09:42 PM
It's not a coincidence that Diaw starts games 3,4,5 and Kawhi goes off, with room to operate.

littlecoyotecoin
09-22-2014, 10:13 PM

I don't believe bringing Duncan off the bench preserves him in any way other than he might play against lesser competition, but I don't know that that takes an appreciably smaller toll on his body. May be even more dangerous, as scrubs might not be all that smart or predictable-and catastrophe prone. Sure, Pop will experiment. Diaw will start some games, probably. I guess that's in line with the letter of the thread: Will Diaw start next season. Sure, a few games during the mix of the regular season. But, the spirit of the thread? No, he won't be the "regular" starter. Neither will Austin Daye be the regular starter, even though HE did start a game or two last season, and may start some this season. Pop will mix it up? Yes, but him mixing it up doesn't make these laboratory line-ups "The Starters". Splitter will still be the "REGULAR" starter and hopefully Duncan can be subbed for earlier when possible, diminishing his minutes when feasible. It is possible to regulate Tim's minutes as a starter, just like when Manu came off the bench when he was younger, yet he played "starter" minutes. Minutes can be altered either way. Very unlikely you see Duncan coming off the bench, IMHO, unless he signs a three year deal this off-season.

littlecoyotecoin
09-22-2014, 10:30 PM
It's not a coincidence that Diaw starts games 3,4,5 and Kawhi goes off, with room to operate.

It's a good argument. I throw my hands up. Embarassment of riches. If it ain't very broke don't fix it too much. Maybe Tim has develpoed a three point shot over the summer, making the decision moot.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-23-2014, 01:30 AM
It's a good argument. I throw my hands up. Embarassment of riches. If it ain't very broke don't fix it too much. Maybe Tim has develpoed a three point shot over the summer, making the decision moot.

Probably unlikely but a lot of bigs will start chucking corner 3s next season, esp the Gasols.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-23-2014, 01:47 AM
Don't fix what isn't broken.

100%duncan
09-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Don't fix what's not broken imho.

edit: oh damn^

anakha
09-23-2014, 02:52 AM
Whatever saves Duncan the most effort in the regular season.

Right now, Duncan seems to exert more effort defensively than offensively in the Spurs' system. Splitter starting would then help conserve Duncan more, IMO.

littlecoyotecoin
09-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Probably unlikely but a lot of bigs will start chucking corner 3s next season, esp the Gasols.

That was tongue in cheek, but I am sure Tim would like the green light from the arc and also to play point some :)

ambchang
09-23-2014, 10:09 AM
No.

1) Why do you want to show your cards before you have to? Playing Diaw and showing the cards just give other teams scouting reports.

2) Diaw coming off the bench gives the 2nd unit a boost in offensive productivity, help the 2nd unit familiarize with the offensive sets with his passing, and thus giving the 1st unit much needed rest.

3) Diaw vs. the Heat was simply a matchup issue. Heat played a positionless brand of basketball, with their defensive strategy being a trapping defense based on quickness. The best way to beat a trap is to pass, and Diaw passes fantastically, especially for a big man. Splitter allows the Spurs to play more traditional offensive and defensive sets, allowing the Spurs to use picks to free up shooters better, defend the paint better and such. Splitter is also a great passing big man, not as good as Diaw, obviously, but good nonetheless. Splitter also doesn't have the range of Diaw, but that is not necessary against most teams in the regular season.

4) Diaw needs some rest

5) The Spurs play a modular type of basketball. Whether someone starts is not all that important.

EP Money Man
09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
He starts in 17% of the games this season.

17% of the time he'll start every time.

ceperez
09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Seriously, this. Pop knows what works with those guys already. He didn't "figure out" that Bonner could space the floor v. Ibaka, he just bided his time until it was ripe for the picking. He knows who he can steal a few minutes of post defense against with Bonner. He knows when and against whom to use Duncan Splitter and Duncan Diaw.

These are all relatively known commodities. I would be surprised to see many changes in these rotations, despite all the gnashing of teeth over it. It worked great, it will probably continue to do so.

Much more interesting events will be if regular season rest can be obtained from the end of the bench.

Boris is no spring chicken anymore. After a lot of off-season international play, can Austin Daye and Kyle Anderson take a minute or two each off of his average PT, and still get us to 60 regular season wins?

Don't laugh, but can Austin Daye and to a lesser extent Kyle Anderson do the same for Tim Duncan?

Can Ayers eat as many or more minutes on the way to 60 wins, as he did last year? Can he show even a little improvement in his second year? Any improvement would be gravy. Will he be able to cover for Baynes' absence, if Baynes doesn't return?

Same goes for Marco. He was a minute eating beast in that 62 win season last year. Can he do it again, while maybe even showing a little second year improvement?

Will Baynes return to provide this kind of relief, as well, or do we get a guard, forward or center to replace him? Do we roll with an open roster spot?

Do Cojo, Marco, Anderson sufficiently absorb Patty's minutes early in the season so Manu and Tony don't have to increase their minutes at point? Or, does Baynes spot get filled with a guard because they are suffering?

Duncan, Parker, Boris, Green, Leonard, Bonner, Splitter, and Mills...it's all about maintaining their trajectories this year. Minimizing the declines of the older. Maintaining upward slopes of the younger, but their roles won't change much. Boris probably won't be starting much more this year than he did last year. It's all about organic internal growth this year, and health.

if we get something welcome and new out of Anderson, Daye, or that 15th spot if Baynes doesn't return, great. But, let's just make sure we're whole in May.

I hit return a lot.

I agree, a lot of the folks at the end of the bench will receive a lot more minutes.

I'm still hoping that they resign Baynes, someone needs to take the place of Splitter or Duncan while they rest. Unless the F.O. thinks someone else like Daye, Ayers, Bonner or even Anderson can replace Baynes at C.

Spurs may not even miss Mills. Cojo may have an improved offense (Joseph's percentages have improved every year). Anderson should be decent for some PG duties.

littlecoyotecoin
09-23-2014, 03:20 PM
No.

1) Why do you want to show your cards before you have to? Playing Diaw and showing the cards just give other teams scouting reports.

2) Diaw coming off the bench gives the 2nd unit a boost in offensive productivity, help the 2nd unit familiarize with the offensive sets with his passing, and thus giving the 1st unit much needed rest.

3) Diaw vs. the Heat was simply a matchup issue. Heat played a positionless brand of basketball, with their defensive strategy being a trapping defense based on quickness. The best way to beat a trap is to pass, and Diaw passes fantastically, especially for a big man. Splitter allows the Spurs to play more traditional offensive and defensive sets, allowing the Spurs to use picks to free up shooters better, defend the paint better and such. Splitter is also a great passing big man, not as good as Diaw, obviously, but good nonetheless. Splitter also doesn't have the range of Diaw, but that is not necessary against most teams in the regular season.

4) Diaw needs some rest

5) The Spurs play a modular type of basketball. Whether someone starts is not all that important.

Thanks for mentioning 1), I agree, and thought about mentioning it but neglected.

littlecoyotecoin
09-23-2014, 03:21 PM
17% of the time he'll start every time.

Bobo Panther.

DrunkTXLabrat
09-23-2014, 03:38 PM
ceperez i agree the spurs should just keep Baynes. I like J Green to back him up or alternate. And i agree with you about Mills. Cojo, Anderson, Beli look like capable alternative. Forget Bonner, Ayers, Cotton. Is Daye an alternate to Diaw, or to Kawhi? either one?

exstatic
09-23-2014, 09:58 PM
ceperez i agree the spurs should just keep Baynes. I like J Green to back him up or alternate. And i agree with you about Mills. Cojo, Anderson, Beli look like capable alternative. Forget Bonner, Ayers, Cotton. Is Daye an alternate to Diaw, or to Kawhi? either one?

There's only one roster spot left after our 14 guaranteed deals in place. You can't have Baynes and J Green.

DrunkTXLabrat
09-24-2014, 12:48 AM
There's only one roster spot left after our 14 guaranteed deals in place. You can't have Baynes and J Green.

If the Spurs aren't tryin to roster J Green and Baynes. That's a mistake.

DrunkTXLabrat
09-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Cotton, Ayers, and Daye are totally expendible. i wouldn't be shocked at all to see any of them cut. Timmy and Tiago are going to miss games. Ayers and Bonner stepping in is fine, if you want to lose the unimportant regular season games. Baynes and J Green is how the Spurs would win 73.

exstatic
09-24-2014, 02:23 AM
Cotton, Ayers, and Daye are totally expendible. i wouldn't be shocked at all to see any of them cut. Timmy and Tiago are going to miss games. Ayers and Bonner stepping in is fine, if you want to lose the unimportant regular season games. Baynes and J Green is how the Spurs would win 73.

Ayres and Daye have fully guaranteed contracts, which I assure you, the Spurs are not waiving and eating. They could have waived Daye at no cost before 1 July, and did not. That means that they are bringing back as many of the roster from last year as want to return. Baynes is the last piece, and that's up to him to sign or not. If he does, that's your roster right there.

Ice009
09-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Ayres and Daye have fully guaranteed contracts, which I assure you, the Spurs are not waiving and eating. They could have waived Daye at no cost before 1 July, and did not. That means that they are bringing back as many of the roster from last year as want to return. Baynes is the last piece, and that's up to him to sign or not. If he does, that's your roster right there.

The Spurs have cut players with larger contracts before. They definitely can be eaten if they find someone better.

exstatic
09-24-2014, 03:44 AM
The Spurs have cut players with larger contracts before. They definitely can be eaten if they find someone better.

Other than Ron Mercer, who was simply trade ballast, as was Stephen Jackson II, who have they cut with a million dollar or more guaranteed contract in training camp?

You're also ignoring the fact that they already had a chance to cut Daye for $250K, and passed. You think they're now going to turn around and do it for $1M?

For better or worse, they're getting the band back together for the repeat. If you're looking for new faces besides Kyle Anderson, I think you're in for disappointment.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Picking Daye's option, then cutting him in training camp sounds like the kinda bullshit a tag team of Morey and Kahn could do.

DrunkTXLabrat
09-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Picking Daye's option, then cutting him in training camp sounds like the kinda bullshit a tag team of Morey and Kahn could do.

i wouldn't put it passed the Spurs to be so stubbornly cheap that they insist on riding out Daye and Ayers guaranteed deals. And to be blind enough to miss out on the young, big man potential of J Green. So you're probably right, Exstatic.

DrunkTXLabrat
09-24-2014, 11:16 AM
the spurs are seriously staring down the chance to win 73+ games. and they will sabotage themselves because of it.