PDA

View Full Version : Gone Girl

Fabbs
09-24-2014, 10:30 AM
I was cautiously optomistic when i saw the trailer.
No, i am not among the Argo knobslobbers. I thought it was above average, i may go as far as saying pretty good. That's it.

Now i find out in the upcoming Gone Girl that one would have to tolerate Neil Patrick Harris? With lots of air time and not one of his cameo gay guy appearances? That's damn near a deal killer for me. I was looking down the imdb list and saw a "Patrick Fudgit" and thought that was his character. :lol

Anyway are you gonna hit this movie? Or meh?

JoeTait75
09-24-2014, 11:24 AM
I thought Argo was a very entertaining, slick and well-done movie. Excellent popcorn flick. I just found it hard to believe it won Best Picture. 20 or 30 years ago it wouldn't have been nominated, imo.

Infinite_limit
09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I thought Argo was a very entertaining, slick and well-done movie. Excellent popcorn flick. I just found it hard to believe it won Best Picture. 20 or 30 years ago it wouldn't have been nominated, imo.
Same with 12 Years a Slave. There is a pattern here. Globalization and streaming has allowed people to watch overseas films, there is no excuse for still watching Hollywood.

Fabbs
10-01-2014, 11:33 AM
89% so far from the sneak previewers on rotten tomatoes. Not that RT has much cred.
I'm still cautiously optomistic.

So Joe and Infinite are you gonna view?

leemajors
10-01-2014, 11:47 AM
The book was great, interested to see how faithfully it's adapted

Darius McCrary
10-01-2014, 10:01 PM
at least listen to the soundtrack

Jacob1983
10-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I seent it tonight. I'm thinking it's gonna get some love when award season begins. Ben Affleck is fantastic. Probably his best acting since The Town and Hollywoodland. I thought he was better in those movies than in Argo. The woman from The Leftovers was pretty good as Ben Affleck' s sister. Tyler Perry was good too. Last but not least, can't leave out the ageless Sela Ward. She looks amazing in her 50s.

DesignatedT
10-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Saw it tonight as well. Never read the book. I thought it was a good movie with a lot of solid acting in it. Affleck was great. A very original idea, that's for sure. I thought it probably could have wrapped up better toward the latter end of the movie but like I said I never read the book so not sure how closely it follows the novel. Good movie though.

SupremeGuy
10-03-2014, 10:51 PM
My girl has been talking about wanting to see it for weeks. Probably going to go see it sometime next week.

Malik Hairston
10-03-2014, 11:03 PM
My girl made me read the book last year, really good, I'm probably gonna check out the movie on Monday, tbh..looks pretty nice, I like most of Affleck's shit the past few years..

Franklin
10-03-2014, 11:27 PM
^ Don't you like Heath Ledger and Ang Lee's 2005 movie (whose name escapes my memory for the moment)?

HI-FI
10-03-2014, 11:38 PM
will try to see it soon, not a huge Affleck fan but I love Fincher's work. one of my favorite directors, only films of his I haven't seen theatrically are Panic Room and Girl with Dragon Tattoo. the trailer is very good, with a great look from Jeff Cronenweth per the par.

Malik Hairston
10-04-2014, 12:01 AM
^ Don't you like Heath Ledger and Ang Lee's 2005 movie (whose name escapes my memory for the moment)?

What does this mean, tbh?..

djohn2oo8
10-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Was good

redzero
10-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Rosamund Pike was amazing. She was fucking crazy in this movie. And Ben Affleck has really passed Matt Damon by now. Affleck started as a mediocre actor, then he became a good director, and now he's a great actor. This is the first time I thought that Affleck was fantastic in a movie. While he was merely passable in Argo and The Town, he excelled in this.

Fincher is a beast.

Malik Hairston
10-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Wow, redzero appearance:wow..

I saw GG last week, lived up to the hype, although already knowing the result from reading the book kind of sucked:lol..

Blake
10-21-2014, 01:10 PM
I've heard good things

cantthinkofanything
10-21-2014, 04:02 PM

I saw GG last week, lived up to the hype, although already knowing the result from reading the book kind of sucked:lol..

I started the book and it was really good but then it changed for me once something was revealed. Then it seemed too hard to believe it was feasible. I don't know if I'll try to finish reading it or not.

quentin_compson
10-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Fincher is such a gifted director. His movies always do have a very sophisticated, accomplished look and sound (both the dialogue and the actual soundtrack). This definitely goes for Gone Girl as well. And I also enjoyed the highly ironic, cynical plot - with a twist that seems to harken back to earlier, twist-happy Fincher films like Fight Club and The Game. The good thing is that the irony takes the movie far beyond the twist, though. But the biggest scoop might be the casting here. Neither Ben Affleck nor Rosamund Pike are really good actors - they lack depth, versatility, maybe skill even. But they both are quite perfect (Affleck more so than Pike, I think) for their respective parts in Gone Girl, because they have just the right ounce of crudity and shallowness for their characters.

Fabbs
11-01-2014, 12:48 AM

The hell is up with that ending in the movie version?
What are we to conclude are his reasons for caving in to her?

Otherwise very well done.

Fabbs
11-01-2014, 12:58 AM
But they both are quite perfect (Affleck more so than Pike, I think) for their respective parts in Gone Girl, because they have just the right ounce of crudity and shallowness for their characters.
Agree.

Venti Quattro
11-01-2014, 01:21 AM
I thought this movie was one of those generic chick flicks which bitches will cry to in the end (:lmao me) and then my sister told me to actually watch the trailer and then boom it caught my attention enough for me to actually want to see the movie.

And then I saw it.

Holy shit.

What a great movie.

8.5/10, would recommend to friends and family hands down.

leemajors
11-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Two dick shots in this movie tbh

Fabbs
11-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Didn't Gone Girl Chick in a lot of scenes resemble:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU-Dul8bBPsFihesSSbQLEOB209taQEaNhxzzbfUAwHuiLRwCEhtt p://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/RosamundPike10TIFF.jpg
Jenna Elfman and Rosamund Pike

Fabbs
11-06-2014, 05:47 PM
already knowing the result from reading the book kind of sucked:lol..
Book ending compared to movie ending please?