PDA

View Full Version : OT: *What if* Pro Athletes were paid Minimum Wage?

Infinite_limit
09-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Let's be fair and say less than 1 Million for the most successful players. And less than 200K for the rest

Considering NBA players are the weakest mentally and no one else in the World gives a crap about American Football, can it not be assumed that the overwhelming majority of these guys would still commit their careers to bouncing a ball? Or would they become accountants and engineers?

Thus we must ask. Why are we encouraging or even helping pay (those that attend games) this circus?

Kool Bob Love
09-24-2014, 12:20 PM
You sound bitter.

SpurSwag
09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
I took an ethics class last year and this exact argument came up. If the NBA had started this year, lets say, and LeBron was clearly the best player in the league and as such, he recieved the first max contract ever at 5 Million a year, I'd have to think Lebron would take it and play basketball. It's not like these athletes could really get better paying jobs than 5 Million for max players, maybe like 2 million for role players, and around 400K for bench warmers. I'm just making these numbers up, but the point is yes athletes would still play sports for these lower amounts of money. It's not like fuckin Patrick Beverly or someone is gonna turn down a modest 1 million dollar a year salary to try and do something else.

Thread
09-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Tim Duncan should have given back his wage after Battier took his shorts down.

dirk4mvp
09-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Tim Duncan should have given back his wage after Battier took his shorts down.

Has Katie made your oatmeal yet?

m>s
09-24-2014, 12:55 PM
You sound bitter.
Hi NIDF

Thread
09-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Has Katie made your oatmeal yet?

I remember you. You & your buddies came after me, tried to run me off, tried to get me to threaten you.

Didn't even have the balls to defend it. Just rolled over.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-24-2014, 12:56 PM
I took an ethics class last year and this exact argument came up. If the NBA had started this year, lets say, and LeBron was clearly the best player in the league and as such, he recieved the first max contract ever at 5 Million a year, I'd have to think Lebron would take it and play basketball. It's not like these athletes could really get better paying jobs than 5 Million for max players, maybe like 2 million for role players, and around 400K for bench warmers. I'm just making these numbers up, but the point is yes athletes would still play sports for these lower amounts of money. It's not like fuckin Patrick Beverly or someone is gonna turn down a modest 1 million dollar a year salary to try and do something else.

Even if this hypothetical situation happened it wouldn't last for too long if the game generated as much income as it does now. It has actually already happened - players were making what? 10-15k in the 60s? Even as soon as the early 90s players weren't making that much money, compared to nowadays.

The natural explosion of the interest in the product and the money it has began generating has increased the player salaries as well, just as it would happen in any other field, only on a different scale obviously - if your job generates money you'll get some part of it. When you start underpaying someone else will swoop in and take your product. If the NBA would start paying max contracts of 5 mil, then some other organization will be formed that'd offer them more, make no mistake.

dirk4mvp
09-24-2014, 01:04 PM
I remember you. You & your buddies came after me, tried to run me off, tried to get me to threaten you.

Didn't even have the balls to defend it. Just rolled over.

How bad does dementia suck?

m>s
09-24-2014, 01:08 PM
:lmao

I also seem to remember someone who disappeared sometime after the aforementioned events and did not resurface until quite a while later, tbh..

DMC
09-24-2014, 01:14 PM
:lmao

I also seem to remember someone who disappeared sometime after the aforementioned events and did not resurface until quite a while later, tbh..

In det closet imo

dirk4mvp
09-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Yep Culbear is full of shit. He should get his hag to change out his depends asap.

DMC
09-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Let's be fair and say less than 1 Million for the most successful players. And less than 200K for the rest

Considering NBA players are the weakest mentally and no one else in the World gives a crap about American Football, can it not be assumed that the overwhelming majority of these guys would still commit their careers to bouncing a ball? Or would they become accountants and engineers?

Thus we must ask. Why are we encouraging or even helping pay (those that attend games) this circus?

You'd still not be able to afford decent seats.

Thread
09-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Didn't even get up off yer asses from the get-go to defend it. Just laid there like a slug.

ha, ha.

Thread
09-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Yep Culbear is full of shit. He should get his hag to change out his depends asap.

I got you. You and your buddies tried to okey doke, daddy.

Uh, uh. I put you a hole-head first-straight into the earth.

spurraider21
09-24-2014, 01:29 PM
your numbers are nowhere near minimum wage

dirk4mvp
09-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Didn't even get up off yer asses from the get-go to defend it. Just laid there like a slug.

ha, ha.

On one of two days every year it becomes front and center what a mistake your mother made, 'ulbear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OQp4YfkdA

Spur-Addict
09-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I forgot all about that Ron Artest missed layup :lol

Thread
09-24-2014, 02:20 PM
On one of two days every year it becomes front and center what a mistake your mother made, 'ulbear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OQp4YfkdA

Yep, you got your heads together with DUNCAN,,,,"He's a real fuck, let's goad him into threatening us then we'll mark it and tell Kori. She'll run him and we can have it all to ourselves again."

LMVICTORIOUSAO!!!

Thread
09-24-2014, 02:22 PM
I forgot all about that Ron Artest missed layup :lol

But, that 3 when Pierce buckled just for a split second.

Had to fly back to Boston with Ainge in first class.

Yep, Ainge came out to take it home. Uh, uh.

dirk4mvp
09-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Yep, you got your heads together with DUNCAN,,,,"He's a real fuck, let's goad him into threatening us then we'll mark it and tell Kori. She'll run him and we can have it all to ourselves again."

LMVICTORIOUSAO!!!

link

Thread
09-24-2014, 02:26 PM
link

I don't do links.

It's my religion.

Don't sweat it, it's like 5 years ago. But, make no mistake:::LMVICTORIOUSAO!!!

dirk4mvp
09-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm a decrepit old fuck

Ha, ha

PingPong
09-24-2014, 02:33 PM
The question is: how much Money you and your talento can generate? Athletes and artists or celebrities can get huge media exposure for the products. They 'sell' billions and are paid with a small, really small of the profits they generate.
If Le Bron was paid 1% from the renevues of the products he endorse or get media exposure, direct or not, he should be earning much more Money Why people pay and give first class tickets to the fucking Paris Hilton around the world?

baseline bum
09-24-2014, 02:37 PM
They'd go play in Europe

m>s
09-24-2014, 02:37 PM

You're a tired old shit bag

Kool Bob Love
09-24-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't do links.

It's my religion.

Don't sweat it, it's like 5 years ago. But, make no mistake:::LMVICTORIOUSAO!!!

Everyone is coming for that ass. Holy shit, everyone smells blood. It's time. The stars are aligning.

Thread
09-24-2014, 03:16 PM
You're a tired old shit bag

Maybe, but, I survived your conspiracy.

LMVICTORIOUSAO!!!

Thread
09-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Everyone is coming for that ass. Holy shit, everyone smells blood. It's time. The stars are aligning.

I look forward to the challenge with equal amounts of both anticipation & determination.

You fuckin' slope, you.

Chinook
09-24-2014, 03:28 PM
They'd go play in Europe

Exactly. Or China, who you know you find the money to pay American players more than that. I think the max could definitely be lowered, provided the costs of games and television contracts shrunk as well. But basketball is an international commodity. The NBA controls it only to a limited extent.

Kool Bob Love
09-24-2014, 03:42 PM
I look forward to the challenge with equal amounts of both anticipation & determination.

You fuckin' slope, you.

Stay mad bruh.

lefty
09-24-2014, 03:48 PM
They would play in Poland

Spur-Addict
09-24-2014, 05:10 PM
But, that 3 when Pierce buckled just for a split second.

Had to fly back to Boston with Ainge in first class.

Yep, Ainge came out to take it home. Uh, uh.

Damn, you live in those distant memories.

Thread
09-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Damn, you live in those distant memories.

Absolutely, bub. "The Past is Prologue."

Thread
09-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Stay mad bruh.

Absolutely, you fuckin' slope, you.

Spur-Addict
09-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Absolutely, bub. "The Past is Prologue."

Too busy telling stories means you're not living life.

Thread
09-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Too busy telling stories means you're not living life.

"The Past is Prologue."

Spur-Addict
09-24-2014, 07:53 PM
"The Past is Prologue."

:lol

Kool Bob Love
09-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Absolutely, you fuckin' slope, you.

Bang bang bang bang BANG!!!