PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bill Simmons to ESPN,"I dare you to suspend me." ESPN responds by suspending him

Thebesteva
09-24-2014, 11:57 PM
:lol

Bill Simmons has been suspended by ESPN -- after ripping into NFL commish Roger Goodell on his podcast and then DARING the network to punish him for it.

Simmons basically put his bosses on blast -- after trashing Goodell and then saying, "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you.”

Apparently not.

Because moments ago, ESPN announced Simmons will be suspended for THREE WEEKS ... and issued the following explanation:

"Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks."

So far, Simmons has yet to respond -- but you can bet your ass he's gonna have a lot to say about this.

Thread
09-25-2014, 12:02 AM
He's a cocksucker and always has been. And oh, daddy, did he want that one in '10. Had to sit there in Staples and take it. He didn't have to like it, uh, uh, but, that hump had to take it. Thought he was going back to MA., with it. Uh, uh.

And ESPN sponsored this cryin' jag, they're spearheading the effort to lynch Goodell. And unlike when they lynched Sterling they understand it's gonna be a long, drawn out process to get Rog up those 13 steps & spring the trap door. But, Goodell ain't Sterling, and they'll play Hell lynchin' him.

Bill_Brasky
09-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Hes still 1up on ya tho

Thread
09-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Hes still 1up on ya tho

True, but, he wanted that one, and didn't get it. Had to fly back with Pierce who was without his pants after Art took 'em down, 24 feet from the hoop. Backin' up on Art.

LMFAO!!!

AlexJones
09-25-2014, 12:47 AM
I hope they fire him outright.

Kool Bob Love
09-25-2014, 01:04 AM
True, but, he wanted that one, and didn't get it. Had to fly back with Pierce who was without his pants after Art took 'em down, 24 feet from the hoop. Backin' up on Art.

LMFAO!!!
Can't always get what you want in life. I been wanting Five since 07, but I never will get it becau...

oh wait Spurs won 5, nevermind.

:D:tongue

Thebesteva
09-25-2014, 02:10 AM
Can't always get what you want in life. I been wanting Five since 07, but I never will get it becau...

http://www.helenahistory.org/hauser_dam_today.jpghttp://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131104011254/trollpasta/images/3/34/Bee.jpg

Get it? Faggot

Thread
09-25-2014, 02:58 AM

Ya yellow fuck, you.

Thread
09-25-2014, 02:59 AM
I hope they fire him outright.

He's doing their bidding, you asshole. Christ, wake the fuck up.

Venti Quattro
09-25-2014, 04:14 AM
:lmao Simmons

Strange Love
09-25-2014, 04:54 AM
ESPN's personal punching bag.

When is this guy going to learn he's not special.

Killakobe81
09-25-2014, 08:17 AM
Hes still 1up on ya tho

Yes he is and that is all that matters. but they were one game and maybe one ACL from being up 2 ...
Thank God for Bynum and Artest!!!!

(Of course Kobe, Pau, Fish, Odom and PJ as well)

Killakobe81
09-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Though brazen, I respect a man that stands behind his comments. ESPN doe snot need him ...but I do believe he has a enough of a following he doesnt need them either. I wonder if he wanted to split if he would lose the talent that followed him to Grantland? Zack Lowe, barnwell, Greenwald and other contributors on that site are really good. Could be interesting. He would struggle to find a bigger "platform" but again I am fan of anarchy in the establishment. Would love to see him fight the monster that is ABC/ESPN/DISNEY ...

Killakobe81
09-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Oh and one last thought some of his comments on Gooodell is on point. But it's obvious that he is still butthurt over Spygate.you have Pats havent won since and he cannot play the Lakers in 2002 is tainted by refs card when fans can argue all of the Pats titles were tainted by cheating. I actually enjoy his mailbags and editorials. The BOB was also great reading but like all of his work you have to account for his Boston bias.

DMC
09-25-2014, 08:51 AM
He's a cocksucker and always has been. And oh, daddy, did he want that one in '10. Had to sit there in Staples and take it. He didn't have to like it, uh, uh, but, that hump had to take it. Thought he was going back to MA., with it. Uh, uh.

And ESPN sponsored this cryin' jag, they're spearheading the effort to lynch Goodell. And unlike when they lynched Sterling they understand it's gonna be a long, drawn out process to get Rog up those 13 steps & spring the trap door. But, Goodell ain't Sterling, and they'll play Hell lynchin' him.

At least he stood there and took it instead of retreating to the closet like some here do.

DMC
09-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Though brazen, I respect a man that stands behind his comments. ESPN doe snot need him ...but I do believe he has a enough of a following he doesnt need them either. I wonder if he wanted to split if he would lose the talent that followed him to Grantland? Zack Lowe, barnwell, Greenwald and other contributors on that site are really good. Could be interesting. He would struggle to find a bigger "platform" but again I am fan of anarchy in the establishment. Would love to see him fight the monster that is ABC/ESPN/DISNEY ...

He'd lose. What does he have to say that we don't already know? The world is full of pithy writers, only those who get their moments are recognized. Bill got his moment, don't pretend he's the oracle of sports savvy. Just think "Judge Wapner" and suddenly you'll get it.

Clipper Nation
09-25-2014, 09:29 AM
:lol Simmons
:lol Faggot

Killakobe81
09-25-2014, 09:40 AM
He'd lose. What does he have to say that we don't already know? The world is full of pithy writers, only those who get their moments are recognized. Bill got his moment, don't pretend he's the oracle of sports savvy. Just think "Judge Wapner" and suddenly you'll get it.

He would but that is at least 3 suspensions by that media group that has been bullshit. I have not heard full podcast yet.

1. SAS - a loud mouth hack, but he was absolutely right about women instigating SOME of the violence and even if Janay Rice was saving her "gravy train" she admitted her role in the incident ...even if Ray is scum.

2. Max Kellerman - gets suspended for telling a story on their local show about how he kicked his wife after she had kicked him many moons ago. Are you serious?

3. Maybe Simmons foolishly baited the ESPN execs but I am pretty sur ethe NFL partnership with MNF is a big reason for that suspension.

I get you cant just do or say whatever you want when you work for ESPN or as an NBA owner. But I hate the way they pander to the court of public opinion and suspend their talent for sharing theirs.

BanditHiro
09-25-2014, 12:44 PM
lol NFL/ESPN

lol Suspending him longer than Ray Rice was suspended initially

Thread
09-25-2014, 12:49 PM
lol NFL/ESPN

lol Suspending him longer than Ray Rice was suspended initially

Dummy, it's a ruse to keep the embers burning for Goodell. They know they (Media) can't bum rush him to the gallows like they did Sterling, but, they know how to conduct a lynching and they'll never stop. But, Goodell won't go as easily as Sterling. Hell, he won't goPERIOD

spurraider21
09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
i actually like Bill Simmons overall. he can be annoying, but i like his style of actually being a fan without trying to mask it to be some "objective journalist." its pretty refreshing.

i do agree with the consensus here that his writing > his TV/podcast, but i still prefer him to the generic talking heads

ducks
09-25-2014, 12:53 PM
I think the suspend is a joke
fire him or
he did not say anything WRONG

Drachen
09-25-2014, 04:46 PM
So bill Simmons got more time than ray rice did initially?

Jenks
09-25-2014, 06:46 PM
:lol Simmons
:lol Faggot

AlexJones
09-26-2014, 12:44 AM
:lmao at Simmons actually daring ESPN to suspend him at the end of his podcast.. I thought that was just a joke. :lmao thinking he's bigger than the company

Expert
09-26-2014, 06:29 AM
He would but that is at least 3 suspensions by that media group that has been bullshit. I have not heard full podcast yet.

1. SAS - a loud mouth hack, but he was absolutely right about women instigating SOME of the violence and even if Janay Rice was saving her "gravy train" she admitted her role in the incident ...even if Ray is scum.

2. Max Kellerman - gets suspended for telling a story on their local show about how he kicked his wife after she had kicked him many moons ago. Are you serious?

3. Maybe Simmons foolishly baited the ESPN execs but I am pretty sur ethe NFL partnership with MNF is a big reason for that suspension.

I get you cant just do or say whatever you want when you work for ESPN or as an NBA owner. But I hate the way they pander to the court of public opinion and suspend their talent for sharing theirs.

They should stick to the sport part, drop the tabloid journalism shtick.

Dex
09-26-2014, 09:43 AM
:lmao at Simmons actually daring ESPN to suspend him at the end of his podcast.. I thought that was just a joke. :lmao thinking he's bigger than the company

This.

I really don't mind Simmons and think that, as a journalist, calling out the corrupt commissioner of the NFL should be directly within his professional purview. If he had kept it at that, he probably would've gotten away with it.

You've got to be an idiot to publicly blast your own company and your own bosses to national media, and not expect to get some shit for it. You mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Killakobe81
09-26-2014, 09:52 AM
This.

I really don't mind Simmons and think that, as a journalist, calling out the corrupt commissioner of the NFL should be directly within his professional purview. If he had kept it at that, he probably would've gotten away with it.

You've got to be an idiot to publicly blast your own company and your own bosses to national media, and not expect to get some shit for it. You mess with the bull, you get the horns.

I admit listening to it, versus just reading the transcript he provoked his bosses and that can be considered insubordination.But he was blasting Goodell who does not work for his company and is just a business partner of ESPN. Still was stupid but you cannot say he blasted his own company he simply dared them to reprimand him and they did. Will be curious to see his response.

Thread
09-26-2014, 10:43 AM
They should stick to the sport part, drop the tabloid journalism shtick.

There ain't no $ in that, no traction. Symbolism over substance sells, big.

AlexJones
09-26-2014, 12:47 PM
:lmao the funniest thing is reading about the liberal media trying to spin the story as "ESPN is choosing to protect their NFL contarct over stopping domestic abuse". I haven't had a great laugh like this in a while. First off, how the fuck is ESPN going to stop a worldwide issue like domestic violence? And why the hell do people think ESPN is protective of Goodell when their other personalities are regularly bashing him and getting away with it? Simmons got suspended because he's a fucking smartass tool that showed up his boss and the rest of the company by acting above 'em.

Thread
09-26-2014, 01:12 PM
:lmao the funniest thing is reading about the liberal media trying to spin the story as "ESPN is choosing to protect their NFL contarct over stopping domestic abuse". I haven't had a great laugh like this in a while. First off, how the fuck is ESPN going to stop a worldwide issue like domestic violence? And why the hell do people think ESPN is protective of Goodell when their other personalities are regularly bashing him and getting away with it? Simmons got suspended because he's a fucking smartass tool that showed up his boss and the rest of the company by acting above 'em.

+ because it keeps Goodell on the simmer setting as ESPN/Media strategizes how to get him swingin' next to the lynched Sterling.

You fuckin' shit, you.

The Gemini Method
09-26-2014, 01:22 PM
At least he had the brazen ways to even say something...just the norm of puppets protecting Gooddell. Grantland is far superior to anything written on ESPN...at the very least.