PDA

View Full Version : For Spurs Fans in Corpus ..

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Trophies in CC

http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3214641

(CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas) - The Hooks will open their final home series of the 2005 regular season on Wednesday, August 31st against the San Antonio Missions. And the men in gray, gold and black won't be the only sports entity from San Antonio making the trip to Corpus Christi that day.

Thanks to the efforts of Whataburger Inc., the San Antonio Spurs' 1999, 2003 and 2005 NBA Championship trophies, a.k.a. the Larry O'Brien trophies, will be on display at Whataburger Field during the Hooks-Missions game on August 31st. Fans of the Hooks and the Missions will have a chance to take a picture standing next to the prized hardware at the game that evening.

"This will be a nice touch during our final home stand of the season," stated Hooks' President J.J. Gottsch. "I know there are thousands of Spurs' fans in the greater Corpus Christi area, and many of them made the trip up I-37 to root the team on during the playoffs. Having the trophies here in our park for all to see should be a neat experience for those fans."

The trophies, hand-crafted in sterling silver with a 24-karat gold overlay, are etched to resemble a basketball net. They stand approximately two feet tall and weigh about 16 pounds each, and are manufactured every year by Tiffany & Company.

"As a sponsor of Whataburger Field and the San Antonio Spurs we are proud to provide this opportunity to the citizens of Corpus Christi," said Whataburger Vice-President of Brand Management, Todd Coerver. "The Spurs are true champions and we are grateful for their willingness to share their hard-earned championship trophies with all of us."

The Spurs' three championship trophies will be available for viewing and photos at Whataburger Field from 5:30 until 8:30 Wednesday evening, August 31st. The trophies will be located inside the right field entrance, adjacent to Hook, Line & Sinker, the Hooks' official team store.

The August 31st game will also mark the final 'Whataburger Fan Day' of the 2005 Texas League season. Fans can gain half-price admission to the park for that game provided they bring with them a receipt from any area Whataburger that day.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Hegamboa, take some pictures for us please!

Phenomanul
08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Its sad to see such nice hardware surrounded by a dump of city. CC is not the Spurs town like everyone thinks.

Both opinions not statistically supported....

I couldn't find one Spurs championship hat anywhere in this town yesterday.

That's mainly because they were sold out 2-3 weeks after the Spurs won their third championship.... Did you try Academy, or even HEB???

Most of the bars were not even getting league pass for games. The only bar in town that had it was a pool hall Paradise behind Outback steakhouse.

True Spurs fans get League Pass on their own. I don't know much about the bars around town (even though I've lived here for about 20 years - minus my time spent in Boston for college), but I remember at least 5 or 6 restaurants showing the Spurs' playoff games both in 2003 and 2005 (during the 99' run I was at Boston).

Not to mention Grande and TW can't get there programming right with Fox SSW and the few who did pony up for league pass got screwed out of about 10 to 12 games due to un-needed blackouts.

Get DirectTV League Pass combined with Turner Cable (Ginobili would approve). No blackouts.

Phenomanul
08-25-2005, 09:37 AM
BTW I don't know if I would be able to go to that game, I have an out-of- state seminar I have to attend that week.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Sweet! I'll have to make sure my sister sends me some pictures. She lives in CC and is friends with one of the guys who wears the Rusty suit.

samikeyp
08-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Anyone else find the humor in a Mascot called "Rusty Hook"? :lol

Phenomanul
08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Anyone else find the humor in a Mascot called "Rusty Hook"? :lol

Care to guess what the cheerleaders are called???? :hat