PDA

View Full Version : Centerpiece to the Cavs = Kiss of Death

ginobilized
09-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Kiss of Death, obviously.
For the Spurs or for the Cavs, though?
I say Cavs have sealed their fate to a first year ceiling of winning in 2nd round of playoffs. Not a bad move for the Cavs overall, though.

Cavaliers, Celtics complete five-player trade
Team release
Posted Sep 25, 2014 9:00 PM
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired guard Keith Bogans and the rights to Sacramento's 2015 and 2017 second round picks (both top-55 protected) from the Boston Celtics in exchange for guard John Lucas III and forwards Erik Murphy, Dwight Powell and Malcolm Thomas, along with the Cavs 2016 and 2017 second round picks General Manager David Griffin announced tonight from Cleveland Clinic Courts.
Bogans, an 11-year veteran, has played in 671 career games (333 starts) with averages of 6.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 21.6 minutes for Orlando, Charlotte, Houston, Milwaukee, San Antonio, Chicago, Brooklyn and Boston. The 6-5 guard is also a career .353 shooter from the three-point line and .716 from the charity stripe. He has played in 36 postseason games with career averages of 4.4 points and 1.9 rebounds in 18.8 minutes per game.
Lucas III appeared in 42 games (six starts) for the Jazz in 2013-14 with averages of 3.8 points and 1.0 assist in 14.1 minutes per game. Over his six-year NBA career, the 5-11 guard out of Oklahoma State has played in 216 games (eight starts) with Houston, Chicago, Toronto and Utah, averaging 4.8 points and 1.4 assists in 12.2 minutes per game.
Murphy, a 6-10 forward out of Florida, appeared in 24 games for Chicago with averages of 0.3 points and 0.3 rebounds in 2.6 minutes per game in 2013-14.
Thomas, a 6-9 forward from San Diego State, played in eight contests for Utah and San Antonio last season and averaged 1.9 points and 2.6 rebounds in 7.9 minutes per game.
Lucas III, Murphy and Thomas were all acquired from the Utah Jazz on July 22nd, 2014.
Powell, the 45th overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, signed with Cleveland on August 23. During the 2014 Samsung NBA Summer in Las Vegas, Powell appeared in three games (one start) for the Cavaliers and averaged 5.0 points and 3.7 rebounds in 11.3 minutes per game. The 6-11 forward from Ontario, Canada played four years at Stanford, appearing in 136 games (105 starts) with averages of 10.8 points and 6.3 rebounds in 26.2 minutes per game.

Sean Cagney
09-26-2014, 01:34 PM
I still laugh at that nickname tbh.

lefty
09-26-2014, 02:30 PM
He is still playing ?

Holy shit

FromWayDowntown
09-26-2014, 02:35 PM
A 12 year NBA career, $19.1 million in cashed checks, and a contract that could pay him another $10.5 million over the next two seasons, while having the chance to play with a contender (again).

Keith Bogans has done well for himself for a dude who so many think can't really play.

Seventyniner
09-26-2014, 03:20 PM
A 12 year NBA career, $19.1 million in cashed checks, and a contract that could pay him another $10.5 million over the next two seasons, while having the chance to play with a contender (again).

Keith Bogans has done well for himself for a dude who so many think can't really play.

By definition, half of the players in the league have to be below average (by NBA standards).

FromWayDowntown
09-26-2014, 03:31 PM
By definition, half of the players in the league have to be below average (by NBA standards).

True, but a lot of people around the NBA have paid Keith Bogans a lot of money (relative to most of us) and repeatedly offered him contracts on the belief that even if he's below average, he's at least better than those players who aren't in the NBA.

I'm not saying that he's a good NBA player, by any means, I'm just saying that for as much as he's maligned, he's made a very nice career and a whole lot of money out of being able to hang around the NBA. An 11-year career in the NBA doesn't just happen.

benstanfield
09-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Holy fucking shit. Keith Bogans next year will make more than every Spur outside the Big 3, Boris, and Tiago. And he's getting a raise the next year!

People say you can't play armchair GM, that there are a lot of factors at work, but it can't be that fucking hard not to pay Keith Bogans 5 million a year.

DesignatedT
09-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Must be doin somethin right.

Snaq O'Meal
09-26-2014, 06:22 PM
I still laugh at that nickname tbh.

Laughing at that nickname is laughing at Pop himself. :lol

Sean Cagney
09-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Laughing at that nickname is laughing at Pop himself. :lol

I don't know what he was thinking or if he was just trying to boost his morale? If you think that is your centerpiece I would hate to see the rest of your team :lol

Obstructed_View
09-26-2014, 07:08 PM

By his stats, Keith Bogans is far below average as a player. When you factor in his paycheck and the >300 starts he's gotten, it's a mystery how he's done it.

exstatic
09-26-2014, 07:42 PM
True, but a lot of people around the NBA have paid Keith Bogans a lot of money (relative to most of us) and repeatedly offered him contracts on the belief that even if he's below average, he's at least better than those players who aren't in the NBA.

I'm not saying that he's a good NBA player, by any means, I'm just saying that for as much as he's maligned, he's made a very nice career and a whole lot of money out of being able to hang around the NBA. An 11-year career in the NBA doesn't just happen.
Apparently it has, once.

quentin_compson
09-27-2014, 02:03 AM
Here's a story on how and why he came to getting a MLE contract:
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/15/4525240/keith-bogans-contract-luck-cba-celtics-nets

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-27-2014, 03:45 AM
Holy fucking shit. Keith Bogans next year will make more than every Spur outside the Big 3, Boris, and Tiago. And he's getting a raise the next year!

People say you can't play armchair GM, that there are a lot of factors at work, but it can't be that fucking hard not to pay Keith Bogans 5 million a year.

There was a very specific situation that led to him getting that contract, which btw is fully unguaranteed in the final two years, and it had nothing to do with his actual basketball abilities.

peacemaker885
09-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Don't be haters. Good for him.

Chinook
09-27-2014, 01:36 PM
So the Cavs did all that just to dump Bogans on Philly for a TE. How idiotic. They should have kept him at least until after Allen committed. Bogans is not very good players at all, but he filled a need and was probably the best choice to back up Waiters (or start over Dion most likely). Now, they have a smaller asset ($5.4M rather than the $6.7M they had with Bogan's deal) and one less pick.

Cleveland was the king of the asset game over the past few years. What is it about James being on the team that forces them to lose every trade they make?

Mel_13
09-27-2014, 01:58 PM
So the Cavs did all that just to dump Bogans on Philly for a TE. How idiotic. They should have kept him at least until after Allen committed. Bogans is not very good players at all, but he filled a need and was probably the best choice to back up Waiters (or start over Dion most likely). Now, they have a smaller asset ($5.4M rather than the $6.7M they had with Bogan's deal) and one less pick.

Cleveland was the king of the asset game over the past few years. What is it about James being on the team that forces them to lose every trade they make?

That part makes me laugh, especially after how things ended the first time around.

As to the trade, the asset becomes somewhat less valuable, but they don't have to pay him 5.3M dollars, they get well under the tax, and they get that roster spot back. Bogans only played 55 minutes last season. It's entirely possible that he's done as a NBA player.

Sean Cagney
09-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Don't be haters. Good for him.

Poor guy got sent to Philly man :lol

cjw
09-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Beware of how Cleveland just loaded up in this deal:

1.) Dealt away a bunch of unguaranteed contracts for Bogans' larger contract
2.) Philly was way under the floor and will need to get there or else pay its players the difference, so they took Bogans' deal and gave the Cavs a $5+ million trade exception
3.) By grabbing Brendan Haywood's carcass from the Mavs off amnesty waivers, they not only got a reasonable contract on the guaranteed piece (just over $2 million through this year), but his unguaranteed $10 million + deal is a huge trade asset.
4.) With those two pieces alone, they can bring in another max-level guy, though they have dealt away most of the real assets they have to incentivize the other team. It would likely have to be a deal for a guy who is slightly overpaid that Lebron would push for.

As Mel_13 said, clearing roster space is probably more important than losing the pick / Bogans' higher salary vs. the trade exception. Also, if I'm a third team I'd much rather have the trade exception coming my way than have to pay Bogans.

Mel_13
09-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Beware of how Cleveland just loaded up in this deal:

1.) Dealt away a bunch of unguaranteed contracts for Bogans' larger contract
2.) Philly was way under the floor and will need to get there or else pay its players the difference, so they took Bogans' deal and gave the Cavs a $5+ million trade exception
3.) By grabbing Brendan Haywood's carcass from the Mavs off amnesty waivers, they not only got a reasonable contract on the guaranteed piece (just over $2 million through this year), but his unguaranteed $10 million + deal is a huge trade asset.
4.) With those two pieces alone, they can bring in another max-level guy, though they have dealt away most of the real assets they have to incentivize the other team. It would likely have to be a deal for a guy who is slightly overpaid that Lebron would push for.

As Mel_13 said, clearing roster space is probably more important than losing the pick / Bogans' higher salary vs. the trade exception. Also, if I'm a third team I'd much rather have the trade exception coming my way than have to pay Bogans.

Two things:

Philly probably cuts Bogans rather than paying him. They'll retain the cap space to sell for other assets.

The trade exception can't be combined with Haywood's contract. That's one way that the asset diminished in value by trading Bogans to Philly.

taps
09-27-2014, 08:28 PM

Astute observation. My guess is he's got some of the coaching juice which is why so many of them like to keep him around. Looks like locker room etiquette's worth a couple million to teams.

cjw
09-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Two things:

Philly probably cuts Bogans rather than paying him. They'll retain the cap space to sell for other assets.

The trade exception can't be combined with Haywood's contract. That's one way that the asset diminished in value by trading Bogans to Philly.

You're right on part 2 - forgot that you can't lump the two together. I'd still rather have the TPE than Bogans for a team looking to dump cap space down the road. But that would effectively take them out of the running for a max-type acquisition next summer when lumping with the Haywood contract. Would have to include other salary instead plus Waiters/Thompson.