PDA

View Full Version : What is the potential of Anderson?

xmas1997
09-26-2014, 02:31 PM
How Good Can Kyle Anderson Be?

by George Middleton 1w ago

http://airalamo.com/2014/09/16/good-can-kyle-anderson/

Lets get one thing straight, Kyle Anderson will not be used the way most first round rookies are in their first season. Anderson’s role on the defending champs will be minuscule, if that. The 6”9 do it all point-forward has the potential to be a special player in a few years. The UCLA product was seen as a potential lottery pick, but somehow slipped to the 30th pick. When I was watching the draft and saw Anderson was still on the board with the draft already late in the first round, I felt the Spurs were going to take him and I was right.

Watching him since he arrived to Westwood as a freshman, I thought to myself what can’t Anderson do? The answer is simple, he can nearly do it all. Anderson might not pass the “eye test”, in terms of jumping “40” inches or running the floor like superstar Kevin Durant, but he is an old school player. What I mean by that, is he truly relies on his feel for the game and his skill set, not needing to jump over or run by anyone. Anderson is an elite passer with a high IQ and a terrific rebounder. As a shooter Anderson is improving, as he shot 48% from three as a sophomore at UCLA, after shooting 21% as a freshman.

Anderson averaged 14.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 6.5 assists last year. While Anderson is certainly heavy footed and lacks the physical tools that many forwards in the NBA possess, he finds a way to make plays on defense. Anderson averaged 1.8 steals and 0.8 blocks, not bad for a person who isn’t labeled as an “athlete”.

What is Anderson’s ceiling as an NBA player?

If given opportunity I see him being similar to teammate Boris Diaw. The two players are remarkably similar in terms of skill. When I say Diaw I am talking about the Diaw that took the NBA by storm in Phoenix. Diaw was lighter on his feet, but their playing styles are identical. Diaw was a terrific passer that was able to play multiple positions with ease and certainly wasn’t a confident shooter until the latter stages of his career. Like Anderson, Diaw didn’t necessarily rely on being athlete, but being a skilled player. Anderson going 30th can end up paying off immensely, but it will take a few years before he produces.

manufan10
09-26-2014, 02:35 PM
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! Welcome back from the dead!

xmas1997
09-26-2014, 02:43 PM
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! Welcome back from the dead!

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ceperez
09-26-2014, 02:44 PM
There's always going to be a lot of atheletes in the NBA draft, but for some reason a majority of them never make it in the NBA.

With a team like the Spurs, it's just unacceptable for a player to not know what to do and where to be on both offense and defense.

Players like Anderson seem to have a high enough IQ that they probably aren't a liability on the court. The question though for Anderson is will he be efficient enough on the court to be able to stay on the court.

He's definitely not atheletic, but I don't think he's any less athletic than Bonner. I would say this though, he's probably as athletic as Tim Duncan.

You just never know how this will pan out, but for a #30 pick, it probably is worth the gamble.

manufan10
09-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2012/12/not-funny.gif

benefactor
09-26-2014, 03:04 PM
:lol faking your own death online
:lol threats of legal action
:lol no one believed you
:lol returning with some lame troll god shtick
:lol took you two weeks to come up with it
:lol flaky, awkward, attention hungry old man

Spurs9
09-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Hes got good taste in cars.

tmtcsc
09-26-2014, 03:44 PM
He's too slow and will be a defensive liability. His shooting mechanics are awful as well. Not just bad, but awful. Going up against NBA competition is going to humble him. No longer will his height be such a huge advantage when seeing the floor and getting his shot off. He's a smart player and a good passer but I doubt he gets to see the floor much. It will take a while to see what the Spurs have in him and in the meantime he will be Pop's new whipping boy.

All that and his head his too big. That's his ceiling in year one.

xmas1997
09-26-2014, 03:50 PM
He's too slow and will be a defensive liability. His shooting mechanics are awful as well. Not just bad, but awful. Going up against NBA competition is going to humble him. No longer will his height be such a huge advantage when seeing the floor and getting his shot off. He's a smart player and a good passer but I doubt he gets to see the floor much. It will take a while to see what the Spurs have in him and in the meantime he will be Pop's new whipping boy.

All that and his head his too big. That's his ceiling in year one.

Hm, interesting take.

yavozerb
09-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Honestly, I see him playing more minutes with the Toros than with the spurs this season..

benstanfield
09-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Better than Daye?

Chinook
09-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Anderson is already better than Diaw by at least one measure:

http://instagram.com/p/r5ZDXIjqAO/

cd021
09-26-2014, 04:41 PM
There's always going to be a lot of atheletes in the NBA draft, but for some reason a majority of them never make it in the NBA.

With a team like the Spurs, it's just unacceptable for a player to not know what to do and where to be on both offense and defense.

Players like Anderson seem to have a high enough IQ that they probably aren't a liability on the court. The question though for Anderson is will he be efficient enough on the court to be able to stay on the court.

He's definitely not atheletic, but I don't think he's any less athletic than Bonner. I would say this though, he's probably as athletic as Tim Duncan.

You just never know how this will pan out, but for a #30 pick, it probably is worth the gamble.

Ironically Bonner has the same vert as Kawhi does (34 inches) he just never uses it because he's a spot up shooter.

I think he will primarily check SFs and some PFs. Thats probably the best way to hide him defensively.

Mr. Body
09-26-2014, 06:13 PM
He's not identical to Diaw, who was effective without the ball in Phoenix. Anderson has to learn to contribute on the wings and post and without having it in his hands.

Beaverfuzz
09-28-2014, 09:25 AM
A scrub.

baseline bum
09-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Phoenix Diaw? What is this motherfucker smoking? Phoenix Diaw was an athlete.

Richie
09-28-2014, 10:50 AM
He doesn't have the quickness to defend on the wings or the bulk to defend in the post. One of those things will have to change if he wants to make it in the league.

apalisoc_9
09-28-2014, 11:08 AM

he made the steal, but man he is so weak...

He needs more leg muscles

KL2
09-28-2014, 11:18 AM
I fear he'll be a non-factor this season, maybe for a few years until he can build his body up. His lack of athleticism will really be exposed in the playoffs, just like Marco who looked like the least athletic guy on the court all for rounds and was a non factor.

skulls138
09-28-2014, 11:26 AM
I hope he gets some minutes while Mills is out.

xmas1997
09-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Notes on a practice: Kyle Anderson’s first day of school
Posted on September 27, 2014 | By Dan McCarney

http://http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/09/27/notes-on-a-practice-kyle-andersons-first-day-of-school/

Spurs rookie Kyle Anderson, who should have one of the best seats in the house as the Spurs embark on their championship.

The Spurs were happy to pounce on Anderson, a multi-skilled forward from UCLA who has drawn comparisons to Boris Diaw, with the 30th pick after he was projected to go in the middle of the first round.

Given coach Gregg Popovich’s emphasis on keeping his players fresh, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Anderson get doses of minutes here and there. But, with 14 players back from last year’s squad, including the main nine-man rotation and 11 with at least four seasons of experience, a more sizable role will almost certainly have to wait.

Until then, Anderson said he’s ready to listen, watch and learn after participating in his first official practice with the senior roster.

“First day went really well, getting accustomed to a lot of things, learning new plays,” he said, citing Green as a particular influence. “It’s a whole different game from anything I’ve learned about basketball previously. I’m learning a lot of new things and getting accustomed.”

“(My teammates) have been very welcoming. They help me in every aspect you can think of, with being a good professional. Those guys have pitched in and helped me out. Being on the court with them, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing they want the best for me. That goes for the rest of the team.

“They always tell me they’re not used to having rookies. It’s new to them and it’s new to me. I’m sure it’s hard for any rookie to come to a championship team. It’s a new experience for everybody.”

Big opportunity: Popovich said Joseph, the Spurs’ third-team point guard last season, ran with the starters on Saturday with Parker still overseas. Even after Parker returns, Joseph will serve as his understudy until Patty Mills recovers from offseason shoulder surgery, roughly projected to be sometime in January.

“He’ll be Tony’s backup to start the season, so he’s got a real important role for us,” Popovich said. “He’s done well in that role in the past, so I look forward to him doing that again.”

SpursFan86
09-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Rich man's hybrid of Magic/Manu

xmas1997
09-28-2014, 12:23 PM
San Antonio Spurs: Where Does Kyle Anderson Fit As A Rookie?
by Cody Daniel

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/09/28/san-antonio-spurs-kyle-anderson-fit-rookie/

If there were ever a franchise that has become notorious for molding practically any average role player into a crucial piece of basketball’s most well oiled winning machine, it’s Gregg Popovich and his San Antonio Spurs. Eventually, the same will be true for their first round pick from the 2014 draft, Kyle Anderson, but as of now, he doesn’t exactly have a solid NBA niche heading into his rookie season.

That said, where exactly does Anderson fit on a roster led by future Hall of Famers looking to repeat as NBA champions?

Although he’s listed as a shooting guard, it’s highly unlikely to say the least that Anderson will ever see any real minutes outside of closing duties. Anderson would have to fight for minutes over Danny Green, Manu Ginobili off the bench, Marco Belinelli and even Patrick Mills.

That’s four guys who have all established themselves as scoring threats and have proven their worth to Popovich. With so many other viable options for the Spurs, don’t expect Anderson to gain from experience on the wing as a shooter in 2014-15 unless it’s during cleanup minutes, but even then, he would fit better elsewhere on the court.

As for his original position at UCLA as a point guard, sometime down the road if he were to remain with the Spurs, minutes might become available. Unfortunately for Anderson, there’s also some congestion at point guard. It’s a given that Tony Parker is going to see his 28-30 minutes per game. Then you have to factor in the minutes split betweenMills and Cory Joseph, who both can come in and make plays off the bench.

As I mentioned, somewhere down the road, Anderson could eventually see worthwhile minutes as a backup point guard with his well-documented ability to run the show as a floor general, but until he can prove he’s able to have the athleticism to survive as a professional, it’s unlikely Popovich will thrown him some unearned minutes with such a deep roster.

But there is a place for Anderson and his unorthodox play style in a role that will allow him to adapt to the NBA game with little pressure to perform right out of the gates.. Anderson adapted to the point forward role during his time at UCLA and flourished as a facilitator with 6.5 assists per game to compliment his 14.6 points per contest. At times, he was doing so by playing out of the high-post or off the ball.

Outside of Kawhi Leonard, the Spurs don’t exactly have a backup small forward who has etched his name into the metaphorical stone rotation.

This leaves a world of opportunity for Anderson to come in at a position that won’t expose his un-athletic nature as much as a point guard and shooting guard would offensively, although he will get eaten alive defensively by practically anybody with a decent offensive arsenal.

But as for what he can do, much like Boris Diaw flourishes on fluidity and smoothness, so will Anderson as he can come in and knock down some open threes and throw a few assists around in hopes of not allowing Popovich’s stare to get much meaner.

Anderson has the ability to attack the basket and score from the wing, in addition to shooting over smaller defenders. Where the problem occurs is with the size and skill of NBA forwards being much greater than anything Anderson has experienced. A majority of his looks in college will have a sealed door on them in the NBA.

For Anderson, this means he will have to accept a very minute roll entering the league and being with what he can do as a three-point shooter and solid facilitator.

But could you imagine the things Popovich will be able to do with Anderson long-term due to his overall well roundedness? Although he doesn’t excel at any one thing, Anderson is skilled in a large variety of ways that will surely be developed during his time under one of the greatest coaches in history. But for Anderson, it’s all about baby steps and that’s what his first season with a limited roll on the perimeter will be.

ceperez
09-28-2014, 12:58 PM
San Antonio Spurs: Where Does Kyle Anderson Fit As A Rookie?
by Cody Daniel

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/09/28/san-antonio-spurs-kyle-anderson-fit-rookie/

If there were ever a franchise that has become notorious for molding practically any average role player into a crucial piece of basketball’s most well oiled winning machine, it’s Gregg Popovich and his San Antonio Spurs. Eventually, the same will be true for their first round pick from the 2014 draft, Kyle Anderson, but as of now, he doesn’t exactly have a solid NBA niche heading into his rookie season.

That said, where exactly does Anderson fit on a roster led by future Hall of Famers looking to repeat as NBA champions?

Although he’s listed as a shooting guard, it’s highly unlikely to say the least that Anderson will ever see any real minutes outside of closing duties. Anderson would have to fight for minutes over Danny Green, Manu Ginobili off the bench, Marco Belinelli and even Patrick Mills.

That’s four guys who have all established themselves as scoring threats and have proven their worth to Popovich. With so many other viable options for the Spurs, don’t expect Anderson to gain from experience on the wing as a shooter in 2014-15 unless it’s during cleanup minutes, but even then, he would fit better elsewhere on the court.

As for his original position at UCLA as a point guard, sometime down the road if he were to remain with the Spurs, minutes might become available. Unfortunately for Anderson, there’s also some congestion at point guard. It’s a given that Tony Parker is going to see his 28-30 minutes per game. Then you have to factor in the minutes split betweenMills and Cory Joseph, who both can come in and make plays off the bench.

As I mentioned, somewhere down the road, Anderson could eventually see worthwhile minutes as a backup point guard with his well-documented ability to run the show as a floor general, but until he can prove he’s able to have the athleticism to survive as a professional, it’s unlikely Popovich will thrown him some unearned minutes with such a deep roster.

But there is a place for Anderson and his unorthodox play style in a role that will allow him to adapt to the NBA game with little pressure to perform right out of the gates.. Anderson adapted to the point forward role during his time at UCLA and flourished as a facilitator with 6.5 assists per game to compliment his 14.6 points per contest. At times, he was doing so by playing out of the high-post or off the ball.

Outside of Kawhi Leonard, the Spurs don’t exactly have a backup small forward who has etched his name into the metaphorical stone rotation.

This leaves a world of opportunity for Anderson to come in at a position that won’t expose his un-athletic nature as much as a point guard and shooting guard would offensively, although he will get eaten alive defensively by practically anybody with a decent offensive arsenal.

But as for what he can do, much like Boris Diaw flourishes on fluidity and smoothness, so will Anderson as he can come in and knock down some open threes and throw a few assists around in hopes of not allowing Popovich’s stare to get much meaner.

Anderson has the ability to attack the basket and score from the wing, in addition to shooting over smaller defenders. Where the problem occurs is with the size and skill of NBA forwards being much greater than anything Anderson has experienced. A majority of his looks in college will have a sealed door on them in the NBA.

For Anderson, this means he will have to accept a very minute roll entering the league and being with what he can do as a three-point shooter and solid facilitator.

But could you imagine the things Popovich will be able to do with Anderson long-term due to his overall well roundedness? Although he doesn’t excel at any one thing, Anderson is skilled in a large variety of ways that will surely be developed during his time under one of the greatest coaches in history. But for Anderson, it’s all about baby steps and that’s what his first season with a limited roll on the perimeter will be.

role not roll. Typo twice.

xmas1997
09-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Role is a noun, and roll is a verb, usually. Reporters are not perfect. :lol

Boomersgold
09-29-2014, 05:20 AM

Bonner was a dunk champ in high school

ceperez
09-29-2014, 05:25 AM

In New Hampshire.

Hoover
09-29-2014, 09:54 AM

In New Hampshire.

15 years ago.

rjv
09-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Hm, interesting take.

pretty crappy take if you ask me. spurs system is great at negating athletic liabilities. spurs will carve out a nice niche for him and use his strengths in such a manner that they will benefit the team. he can become a decent role player for us.

look_at_g_shred
09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
6MOTY

cd98
09-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Don't know how he'll pan out in a few years, but I'm expecting zero from this kid this year. Sure, he'll get some minutes in blow outs when there are injuries, but I imagine we'll see him less than we saw Corey Joseph his first year. That said, we'll see a lot of Corey Joseph until Mills gets back.

littlecoyotecoin
09-29-2014, 01:54 PM
15 years ago.

It's not fair to compare a 35 year old with a 20 year old. So, of course "15 years ago in New Hampshire". 15 years from now we will not be able to look back and make fun of Anderson winning a dunk contest ANYWHERE. Even New Hampshire. I am hopeful about the kid, but comparing him to Boris at 20, and even Bonner, athletically, doesn't work. He conveniently took a "sick day" on the agility test for a reason. Bobo and BonBon were both more athletic at 20.

littlecoyotecoin
09-29-2014, 02:04 PM
pretty crappy take if you ask me. spurs system is great at negating athletic liabilities. spurs will carve out a nice niche for him and use his strengths in such a manner that they will benefit the team. he can become a decent role player for us.

Not crappy when it's a decent possibility. He didn't do horribly in Summer League, but he wasn't exatly dominating out there. And, that, for the most part, is sub-par competition. It is possible that when he sees full NBA rosters, not just the third stringers of Summer League, he will be unable to adapt. But, nothing's guaranteed either way. We'll just have to wait and see.

SnakeBoy
09-29-2014, 02:15 PM

It's only an online op piece, just role with it.

Chinook
09-29-2014, 02:22 PM
It's only an online op piece, just role with it.

Don't you mean Rolle?

Seventyniner
09-29-2014, 03:10 PM

You and your silly transitive law.

Russ
09-29-2014, 03:14 PM
I know the Spurs drafted him in the First Round, but he was never the same after his foot injury.

I think he's playing in Lithuania.

BatManu20
09-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Best Case Scenario: Magic Johnson.

Worst Case Scenario: Bo Outlaw.

ceperez
09-29-2014, 03:42 PM

The problem for Anderson (and this is why he slid all the way down to #30 in the draft) is that he's most effective playing point guard.

I gather Pop will just insert him anywhere in the line-up just to confuse the opposing team.

Knoxxx
09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Anderson will be a beast and perfect Diaw replacement with at least as high a ceiling. Dude has a standing reach of 9 foot. That's FREAKISH.

Bartleby
09-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Not crappy when it's a decent possibility. He didn't do horribly in Summer League, but he wasn't exatly dominating out there. And, that, for the most part, is sub-par competition. It is possible that when he sees full NBA rosters, not just the third stringers of Summer League, he will be unable to adapt. But, nothing's guaranteed either way. We'll just have to wait and see.

He also played with sub-par players. Anderson is the type of player who is most effective when he is able to make things happen for his teammates.

I wouldn't read too much into his SL play.

ceperez
09-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Anderson will be a beast and perfect Diaw replacement with at least as high a ceiling. Dude has a standing reach of 9 foot. That's FREAKISH.

Checked the numbers, 2 inches more than Kawhi and Bonner, 1 inch more than Ayres, but 2 inches less than Splitter and Daye (9'2").

Honestly, Anderson has enough length to play in replacement of Bonner or Ayres.

look_at_g_shred
09-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Worst Case Scenario: Boris Diaw.
FIFY

littlecoyotecoin
09-29-2014, 04:21 PM
He also played with sub-par players. Anderson is the type of player who is most effective when he is able to make things happen for his teammates.

I wouldn't read too much into his SL play.

This may be true. I am not reading too much into it by saying it is inconclusive. Others are giving him the thumbs up before he's played one NBA game, and calling other people's takes "crappy" when they are still as likely a scenario as any other. That's reading too much into his summer leage play, to think after it, none of the things the poster said could end up being true.

jyra
09-29-2014, 04:35 PM
I know the Spurs drafted him in the First Round, but he was never the same after his foot injury.

I think he's playing in Lithuania.

James is playing on the same team as Javtokas btw. Such a shame that both careers got derailed by injuries.

xmas1997
09-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Interesting, many sportscasters have also made this comparison, although more have said worst case is Boris Diaw.

skulls138
09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Interesting, many sportscasters have also made this comparison, although more have said worst case is Boris Diaw.Give me a break. Wed be extremely lucky if he was a new version of Diaw.

xmas1997
09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Give me a break. Wed be extremely lucky if he was a new version of Diaw.

Yes, we would, but the best thing we as fans can do is give it all a chance to play out.

ceperez
10-01-2014, 04:20 AM
In terms of athleticism, can we characterize Anderson as a smaller Tim Duncan? He seems to have unusual reach and wingspan at 6'8".

Brazil
10-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Interesting, many sportscasters have also made this comparison, although more have said worst case is Boris Diaw.

are you fucking serious ? batmanu should have used blue front... best case magic johnson ? worst case Boris Diaw ?

are you on crack or something ? you suck at bb... stay focused on tweeting Mark

rjv
10-01-2014, 10:16 AM

we have no idea what it is the spurs coaching staff was asking him to do in summer league. what we see out there is not necessarily a reflection of his overall performance because we have no criteria to judge it by. he wouldn't be the first or last spurs player to seemingly perform in a less than stellar fashion in the summer league only to come out and eventually have a nice stint with the team.

littlecoyotecoin
10-01-2014, 10:51 AM
we have no idea what it is the spurs coaching staff was asking him to do in summer league. what we see out there is not necessarily a reflection of his overall performance because we have no criteria to judge it by. he wouldn't be the first or last spurs player to seemingly perform in a less than stellar fashion in the summer league only to come out and eventually have a nice stint with the team.

Of course he COULD do well. I didn't say or imply he could not. I am on his bandwagon, and I'm not even saying he did poorly in summer league. But, despite any special instruction given to him in summer league, he didn't set it on fire. That did not wash away any doubts as to whether he can play vs NBA talent. It doesn't mean he can't, it just means that he didn't play so well as to remove all doubt. When someone says that he can't hang with NBA talent, their doubt is well within reason established by Anderson's limited play. It's not a "crappy" take. Just one that sees the same glass you are looking at - half empty.

rjv
10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Of course he COULD do well. I didn't say or imply he could not. I am on his bandwagon, and I'm not even saying he did poorly in summer league. But, despite any special instruction given to him in summer league, he didn't set it on fire. That did not wash away any doubts as to whether he can play vs NBA talent. It doesn't mean he can't, it just means that he didn't play so well as to remove all doubt. When someone says that he can't hang with NBA talent, their doubt is well within reason established by Anderson's limited play. It's not a "crappy" take. Just one that sees the same glass you are looking at - half empty.

well to me the half glass/half empty scenario simply tells me that one can not conclude either way or that there are too many possibilities which could play out. so when i see anything conclusive about something i tend to see it as a "bad" or at least unsound take. it's not that i am seeing the glass in any particular way but rather that i am keeping an open mind. AND, if i had to defer to any opinion at all at this time, i would think he will become a nice role player for us at some point.

wildcardX
10-01-2014, 12:01 PM

I think his athleticism is more like Larry Bird than Magic. Would Magic Johnson's traits with Larry Bird's athletic ability be more like Andersons best case scenario?

Brazil
10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
I think his athleticism is more like Larry Bird than Magic. Would Magic Johnson's traits with Larry Bird's athletic ability be more like Andersons best case scenario?

add MJ competitiveness and you got it right

look_at_g_shred
10-01-2014, 12:57 PM
A comparison no one has even brought up would be Rondo. Both are neither too quick, and are playmakers. Of course, Anderson doesn't have the vision rondo does nor his defense at this point, but to me, it's not a stretch to say KA can be a similar player.

Obstructed_View
10-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I think Anderson's minutes will be dictated by Diaw. If aggressive Boris shows up again this year, Kyle will get garbage/spot/injury minutes. If Bobcat Boris decides to make an appearance, Anderson might get thrown off the boat to see how well he swims.

SpurPadre
10-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I just hope the kid sticks around and becomes a contributor at some point down the road and not become a taller version of De Culo, who was also lauded for his passing while acknowledging his own lack of athleticism.

eDizzle20
10-01-2014, 08:16 PM
How did he play in the scrimmage?

spurraider21
10-01-2014, 08:26 PM
How did he play in the scrimmage?
dominated. dropped 60 including several effortless free throw line dunks

littlecoyotecoin
10-01-2014, 08:52 PM
well to me the half glass/half empty scenario simply tells me that one can not conclude either way or that there are too many possibilities which could play out. so when i see anything conclusive about something i tend to see it as a "bad" or at least unsound take. it's not that i am seeing the glass in any particular way but rather that i am keeping an open mind. AND, if i had to defer to any opinion at all at this time, i would think he will become a nice role player for us at some point.

Only problem with any of that is that you didn't call any of the overly glowing appraisals of Anderson's NBA potential "crappy" despite the inconclusiveness. So conclusive takes that are negative are crappy, but conclusive takes that are glowing praise just align with your opinion based on a zero sample of NBA games, which is not crappy. Got it.

Again, he might be a solid role player. He may not have the athleticism to survive in the NBA. I don't see how anyone's opinion that is yet to be proved fact, either way, can be too crappy. He may be wrong, but I don't disparage anyone for holding it. 29 teams passed on him for exactly the same reason. So, his crappy opinion would be in some good company.

hyhy
10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
dominated. dropped 60 including several effortless free throw line dunks
:bobo

Chinook
10-01-2014, 09:08 PM
He has a long way to go defensively. Had a nice block on Daye, but got bullied every other time. He played the three every time I noticed him. Had to guard Kawhi in the post and didn't get it done. What's concerning is that playing a wing close to the basket is about the easiest thing a 6-9 wing with little athleticism can do. Leonard didn't even try to take Kyle off the dribble. I also think Daye got the better of him more often than not. Kid's a rook, though. No way he could be expected to hang with starters right now.

Offensively, he was all right. Made some nice passes from the perimeter. Drove a couple of times, but he looked worse than Green off the dribble, so I doubt Kyle is destined to be a PG. His shot was mainly off, but the stream was too bad for me to see how the shots looked. He'll need to be a very efficient scorer inside the arc to be able to open passing lanes for his teammates. Again, didn't help that Kawhi was his defender.

xmas1997
10-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Sounds like many of you may be right that he is destined for some time with the Toros.

littlecoyotecoin
10-01-2014, 09:15 PM
A comparison no one has even brought up would be Rondo. Both are neither too quick, and are playmakers. Of course, Anderson doesn't have the vision rondo does nor his defense at this point, but to me, it's not a stretch to say KA can be a similar player.

From the little I've seen of the two, if vision was something we could remove and weigh, Kyle's would be comparable to just about anyone's. Even the Rondos of the world. But, even slow Rondo seems much quicker.

pgardn
10-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Dead men posting...

Frkn wack job.

heyheymymy
10-01-2014, 09:27 PM
add MJ competitiveness and you got it right
plus the omnipotence of Ditka and yeah.

tmtcsc
10-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Whoah! Not being tagged in this thread left me out in the cold. My "crappy" take is just an opinion and like littlecoyotecoin said, could be wrong. I sincerely hope I am. However, based on what I've seen from him thus far - mostly from summer league and some from college, he doesn't possess the athletic ability or the proper footwork to stay in front of quicker opponents on defense. -- Neither does Marco Belinelli, but at least the guy is a world-class shooter who won the 3 pt contest.

And please don't suggest (as RC implied) that Anderson belongs in the same class as Tim Duncan when it comes to nonathletic players being successful on the Spurs. Tim Duncan was ready to play and compete with the best the NBA had to offer from day 1. His height and skills put him in a class all his own.

The coaching staff took a bit of a chance on Anderson's smarts allowing him to stay on the floor. I don't see it. He can be smart all he wants but if he's getting torched on defense, he will be a liability. He's not strong enough to rebound or bang with NBA PF's and he's too slow to play against SF's. He'll have a height advantage when playing PG but his lack of speed will hurt him. Can you honestly see him checking Russell Westbrook or Monta Ellis?

Nah, spot minutes during blowouts at best are what he can expect and a heavy dose of D-League.

yavozerb
10-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Like I have said all along, Anderson well spend most of his rookie season in Austin. Nothing wrong with this, doesnt mean Anderson well be a bust, just means the spurs are deep as hell.

exstatic
10-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Like I have said all along, Anderson well spend most of his rookie season in Austin. Nothing wrong with this, doesnt mean Anderson well be a bust, just means the spurs are deep as hell.

I'm not sure you can even call a #30 pick a bust under any circumstances.

I've said from the beginning and I still maintain that his ultimate position will be stretch four. They'll have to work off the baby fat, and bulk him up, but they're good at both of those things. With stretch fours being all the rage, he might have a position to guard. Most of them do not put the ball on the floor to any degree, and not many post up. They shoot.

tmtcsc
10-28-2014, 03:46 PM
My take 4 weeks ago:

All that and his head is too big. That's his ceiling in year one.

Scouts Take - Courtesy of Express News:

Kyle Anderson

Has some of same basketball IQ as Diaw but is slower than Duncan. Really slow. Greatest advantage is height. Can't defend NBA guards, and that's where his issues lie. Has to be wide open to get off shot because he has such a slow release. Great ball handler and good feel for game, but has true physical limitations. Challenged at defensive end, especially against quickness.

P.S. I stayed at a Holiday Inn.

wildbill2u
10-28-2014, 06:22 PM
I only saw him a couple of times in preseason for very short minutes and he didn't show much, but the sample was so small.

One interesting note, on the NBA-TV show "open Court" a couple of the panelists threw him some props by way of saying the Spurs had pulled off a coup by getting him at 30. They felt he could fit into the Spurs scheme. Don't remember where they said they had seen him play.

Uriel
10-28-2014, 06:53 PM
My take 4 weeks ago:

Scouts Take - Courtesy of Express News:

Kyle Anderson

Has some of same basketball IQ as Diaw but is slower than Duncan. Really slow. Greatest advantage is height. Can't defend NBA guards, and that's where his issues lie. Has to be wide open to get off shot because he has such a slow release. Great ball handler and good feel for game, but has true physical limitations. Challenged at defensive end, especially against quickness.

P.S. I stayed at a Holiday Inn.
You think you were plagiarised?

tmtcsc
10-28-2014, 07:41 PM
You think you were plagiarised?

No, not at all. I just think the scout saw what I saw or the other way around. I'm not a pro scout but KA's limitations are pretty obvious to me.

SnakeBoy
10-28-2014, 10:30 PM
No, not at all. I just think the scout saw what I saw or the other way around. I'm not a pro scout but KA's limitations are pretty obvious to me.

Same scout says Kawhi will never be a "go-to guy" and that Jeff Ayres is a good fit for the Spurs.

tmtcsc
10-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Same scout says Kawhi will never be a "go-to guy" and that Jeff Ayres is a good fit for the Spurs.

He also said that Austin Daye was the least Spur-like player on the team.

Kawhi played fantastic in the Finals and with all the work and time he spends on improving his game, I think the sky is the limit. No doubt the last 3 games was an eye opener for everyone. But to be a "go to" player, he is going to need the ball more AND be consistently aggressive. He's got a nice in-between game to go along with his 3 pt shot.

As for Jeff Ayres, he must be doing something right. Perhaps he is a good practice player to go up against Tim. There is a need for that too. Not everyone is going to be a stud on your team and he is definitely not someone who warrants lots of court time.

xmas1997
11-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Kyle Anderson ready to step in and contribute
Posted by Jeff Garcia on Oct 30, 2014 08:15

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/kyle-anderson-ready-to-step-in-and-contribute.html

AT&T CENTER – Coming into the NBA as a rookie is one thing. Coming into the NBA as a rookie drafted by the defending NBA champions is another.

San Antonio Spurs rookie Kyle Anderson finds himself on a roster made of champions. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and head coach Gregg Popovich expect excellence on the court and a team-first mentality game-in and game-out for 82 games a year.

It might be enough to give any NBA rookie jitters but not for Anderson who is ready to step in and contribute whenever his number is called.

“I feel preseason helped me out a lot. I’m not really all that nervous. I just want to go out there and play ball. I been doing it for a month now. I’m practicing with one of the best teams in the league. I feel like I’m ready to go now.”

Luckily for Anderson, he steps into a situation where he doesn’t need to look far for support from championship-tested veterans like Parker. Parker has done it all at this level. He has won four NBA titles, been in every game-situation imaginable, and has the basketball knowledge Anderson can tap into.

And that’s exactly what Kyle has done since joining the Spurs.

“I had a talk with TP (Tony Parker) a few times. He just lets me know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to be good in this league. He’s been here for 14 years, he shared stories with me of his first year, his first game, and things like that,” said Anderson. “One thing I always remember is him telling me it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to be good in this league.”

But it’s not just Parker who has taken the young player from UCLA under his wing. Anderson says the entire roster has been at his side, guiding him in his rookie season.

“Everybody really looks to help me out in anyway they can. Guys from the top all the way to the bottom. Everybody looks to share with me their input and help me out on ways I can get better.”

Cracking the rotation on a roster such as San Antonio’s will be tough for the first year pro. Players such as Ginobili, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard and others at his position have proven themselves on the court. Not to mention coach Pop is notorious at not giving many minutes to rookies on his squad.

However, with Leonard out, it might present an opportunity for Anderson to prove what he can do for the Spurs. And if he doesn’t get minutes with the Spurs and is assigned to the D-League Austin Spurs, it shouldn’t be a knock on his abilities. Nor should he take it as such. It would be just another step on his NBA journey.

But he is on the Spurs’ bench and Anderson needs to absorb and learn each and every night from Hall of Fame bound players. Though at first he was a little star struck when he first laid eyes on his basketball idols.

“It was something out of a movie really. It was crazy to be on the same court with players I grew up watching. I was a little star struck at first then I got it out of the way. I picked up a lot on how they do things. To come in with a good work ethic. It kind of rubs off on you.”