PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: Westbrook: I am the best PG in the NBA ever since I came into the league.

unforeseen
09-29-2014, 08:10 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Thunder coach Scott Brooks believes that Russell Westbrook is the "best point guard in basketball" -- and Westbrook couldn't argue with his coach's assessment Monday.

Brooks almost seemed eager to bestow the label on his player as the coach addressed reporters at the team's media day.

"I believe Russell is the best point guard in basketball," Brooks said, unprompted. "That's happened over time. I've seen Russell every practice, every game, every film session, and he's really put a lot of time into being the best point guard in basketball."

Westbrook certainly has a strong case, but the point guard position is as deep as it has ever been. Chris Paul, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, Tony Parker and John Wall, among others, are pretty stiff competition.

Russell Westbrook is the only player other than LeBron James to average at least 20.0 points, 4.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists over the past four seasons.
As you'd expect, though, Westbrook concurred with his coach's statement.

"I do," he said. "I'm very honored to hear him say that, but that's how I feel. I mean, I don't know what to tell you."

Westbrook has never been short on confidence, playing with a brash sense of self-assurance despite occasional outspoken criticism. Even playing alongside as prolific a player as Kevin Durant, Westbrook rarely hesitates when it comes to putting his mark on a game.

"I've felt that since I got in the league," Westbrook said. "I mean, that's my mindset. As a rookie, I came in and I felt like I was the best player on the floor every time I stepped on the floor. That's just my mindset. That's the way I've played since college. It's not just this year or last year. It's how I think when I get on the basketball floor."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11614293/scott-brooks-oklahoma-city-thunder-says-russell-westbrook-nba-best-point-guard

http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/westbrook-fashion5.jpg

benefactor
09-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Love that mindset Russ.:tu

Bill_Brasky
09-29-2014, 08:17 PM
awesome brah keep chuckin

lefty
09-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Dat picture

Westbrook taking that Monkeyfrog persona a little too seriously

Clipper Nation
09-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Certainly better than certain chokers come playoff time....

lefty
09-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Certainly better than certain chokers come playoff time....
:lol Chris Paul
:lol Parker

Richie
09-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Westbrook thinking he's the best player on the floor is why the Thunder won't win any championships with him and Durant together. Durant is the better player, the reigning MVP, but he still sees himself as the #1 option.

~O~
09-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Well this only add to the fuel that will burn the Thunder down.

unforeseen
09-29-2014, 08:46 PM
:lol Chris Paul
:lol Parker

4>0

spurraider21
09-29-2014, 08:47 PM
you guys can laugh but there are significant amounts of games where he indeed has been the best player on the court

Dex
09-29-2014, 08:54 PM
http://i.minus.com/iMu7oirUK9G7b.gif

That's some clutch shit right there.

ambchang
09-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Not sure about best pg, but he does have a strong case being the best player who's listed as a pg.

Chris
09-29-2014, 09:35 PM
He can take over a game, and dunk better than any other point guard...he also has terrible shot selection and can easily shoot his team out of a game. His body language is terrible similar to Jay Cutler which can hinder him. If he ever could figure out a happy medium, he could become the best point guard in the league...but his ego and "mindset" prevent him from becoming that imo.

Malik Hairston
09-29-2014, 09:44 PM
Westbrook was the best player on his team during the playoffs, tbh, he earned a lot of respect..

Can't believe there are still so many :(but Durant should be getting the ball:( apologists:lol..

Franklin
09-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Durant loves women, Durant doesn't get dressed like a fag... enough reason for you to prefer West to Durant tbh.

Thread
09-29-2014, 10:10 PM
He can take over a game, and dunk better than any other point guard...he also has terrible shot selection and can easily shoot his team out of a game. His body language is terrible similar to Jay Cutler which can hinder him. If he ever could figure out a happy medium, he could become the best point guard in the league...but his ego and "mindset" prevent him from becoming that imo.

& he looks absolutely adorable in a pair of white ankle socks & blue shorts with white trim.

Malik Hairston
09-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Durant loves women, Durant doesn't get dressed like a fag... enough reason for you to prefer West to Durant tbh.

Russ is one of the best dressed men on the planet, tbh..

Franklin
09-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Magic's son is the 2nd best in your eyes, I guess.

Chris
09-29-2014, 10:29 PM
& he looks absolutely adorable in a pair of white ankle socks & blue shorts with white trim.

If he ever wants to be taken seriously, that fashion shit has to go too

Jenks
09-29-2014, 10:48 PM
He's consistently the #1 PG in MVP votes:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2014.html#mvp
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2013.html#mvp
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2012.html#mvp
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2011.html#mvp

By #1, I mean he was top 3 once, and usually not top 5

Thread
09-29-2014, 11:03 PM
If he ever wants to be taken seriously, that fashion shit has to go too

Therein rests the truth:::he doesn't want to be taken such, at least subconsciously. That's why all the antics, tantrums, machinations, wild mood swings & acting out even in dress.

And just about the time he's finally ready to get down to it? It'll be time to say goodbye. And the interim? It'll have gone by in a blink.

benstanfield
09-29-2014, 11:55 PM
I mean he's not wrong. 27, 8, 7 and 2 in the playoffs while deferring to The Servant 50% of the time. If he were running the show on an eastern conference team he'd probably be considered a top 5 player. Put him on the Bulls instead of Rose and they are title favorites. Put him on the Spurs instead of Parker and I'll take them against the field. Put him on the clips instead of CP3 and they won't shit themselves in the second round. When he drives to the hoop it's one of the more unguardable shots in the league.

Chinook
09-30-2014, 12:00 AM
you guys can laugh but there are significant amounts of games where he indeed has been the best player on the court

Inch or inch, he's better than Durant, maybe even to a large degree. But inches matter a lot in the NBA. He's certainly the harder player to stop, since Durant still hasn't learned how to use his size yet.

Cry Havoc
09-30-2014, 12:23 AM

Yep, he'll chuck his way out of title contention. If they don't get it this year, Durant is gone.

itzsoweezee
09-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Westbrook was the best player on his team during the playoffs, tbh, he earned a lot of respect..

Can't believe there are still so many :(but Durant should be getting the ball:( apologists:lol..

True

Killakobe81
09-30-2014, 12:38 AM

This

horsielove
09-30-2014, 12:56 AM
the hate on westbrook is ridiculous. he was the best player in OKC uniform last playoffs.

Silver&Black
09-30-2014, 01:51 AM
the hate on westbrook is ridiculous. he was the best player in OKC uniform last playoffs.

I know...in the WCF every time Durant had the ball I was like, "Thank God Westbrook doesn't have it."

Majority of the time Durant shoots jumpers...Westbrook shoots lay-ups.

benefactor
09-30-2014, 06:23 AM
Put him on the Spurs instead of Parker and I'll take them against the field.
:lol...Pop would murder Westbrook with his bare hands before the All-Star break.

There is no doubt he's a talented player, but there are plenty of those that aren't winners. You could fill a whole thread full of gifs of terrible shots he's taken in the playoffs. He's shooting more threes every year and still hasn't figured out he's not good at it. In the playoffs it gets even uglier. A fourth of his shot attempts were threes during this most recent run and he only made 28% of them.

He's one of the most athletic PG's this league has ever seen but he is still a chucker and doesn't really seem to want to be anything other than that...and having a fellow star and a coach that are both huge betas only exacerbates things.

Thread
09-30-2014, 06:34 AM
:lol...Pop would murder Westbrook with his bare hands before the All-Star break.

Pop shoulda done Amy that-a-way before the June of '13 post season. It'd a saved a decent amount of aggravation & your 5th.

ElNono
09-30-2014, 06:55 AM

There is no doubt he's a talented player, but there are plenty of those that aren't winners. You could fill a whole thread full of gifs of terrible shots he's taken in the playoffs. He's shooting more threes every year and still hasn't figured out he's not good at it. In the playoffs it gets even uglier. A fourth of his shot attempts were threes during this most recent run and he only made 28% of them.

He's one of the most athletic PG's this league has ever seen but he is still a chucker and doesn't really seem to want to be anything other than that...and having a fellow star and a coach that are both huge betas only exacerbates things.

Meh, Pop would tear him a new one, but he would also probably get the best out of him. Pop knows whose buttons to push.

Killakobe81
09-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Meh, Pop would tear him a new one, but he would also probably get the best out of him. Pop knows whose buttons to push.

Pop or RC is exactly what he needs. His shot selection is an indictment on his coach. Phil was never able to completely stymie Kobe's poor shot selection but when he coached Kobe he got him to be myuch more selective especially when the games mattered. As Bene points out when the games matter Russ gets worse. Yes I am a Westbrook apologist (Bruin luv baby!) but A better coach especially a genius like Pop makes him a better player tbh ...

Dverde
09-30-2014, 08:31 AM
http://i.minus.com/iMu7oirUK9G7b.gif

That's some clutch shit right there.

I never noticed Kawhi's hussle to get the rebound in this play before. Kingslayer is fast.

benefactor
09-30-2014, 09:19 AM
I can agree with this if Russ is coming in as a rookie and Pop could shape him, but with five seasons under his belt I worry he's too set in his ways. Phil did it with Jordan, but Jordan has a lot more depth personality-wise than Russ does. Russ comes off as shallow, so it's a bit like needing to have the dog from the time it's a puppy in order to get the correct structure around it for it to act the way you want it to.

Trill Clinton
09-30-2014, 09:22 AM
he is. i thought errbody who wasn't a hater knew that.

Killakobe81
09-30-2014, 09:49 AM
I can agree with this if Russ is coming in as a rookie and Pop could shape him, but with five seasons under his belt I worry he's too set in his ways. Phil did it with Jordan, but Jordan has a lot more depth personality-wise than Russ does. Russ comes off as shallow, so it's a bit like needing to have the dog from the time it's a puppy in order to get the correct structure around it for it to act the way you want it to.

wont disagree but based off what exactly? How is Mj really "Deep"? He is my GOAT but I wouldn't describe him as such. A killer. Obsessed. Ultimate competitor. But deep?

RsxPiimp
09-30-2014, 10:16 AM
I love Westbrook tbh, I hope the Lakers go after this guy in FA. He needs his own team. :hat

Brazil
09-30-2014, 10:34 AM
We went from OKC is better without him to he is better than KD... ST shhhhh

I always found dumb the first stance and I find dumber the second one

So now dude is great, the alpha dog, the best player of OKC.... Sorry but that's the same guy in the POs last year taking 5 3s attempt per game converting .280, he can go to the rim at will but still put a "clinic" .46 from 2, making dumb shots after dumb shots. At one point KD struggled against the Spurs and RW blossomed... ya that's exactly what the Spurs wanted. Dude is so lethal Parker spent a bunch of time guarding him because you know with his size Parker can contain him :lol

For the rest, Luka is right... I'd love to see him go play for the Lakers...

RsxPiimp
09-30-2014, 12:55 PM
We went from OKC is better without him to he is better than KD... ST shhhhh

I always found dumb the first stance and I find dumber the second one

So now dude is great, the alpha dog, the best player of OKC.... Sorry but that's the same guy in the POs last year taking 5 3s attempt per game converting .280, he can go to the rim at will but still put a "clinic" .46 from 2, making dumb shots after dumb shots. At one point KD struggled against the Spurs and RW blossomed... ya that's exactly what the Spurs wanted. Dude is so lethal Parker spent a bunch of time guarding him because you know with his size Parker can contain him :lol

For the rest, Luka is right... I'd love to see him go play for the Lakers...
Word

ElNono
09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

Pop has a good feel about that stuff. He took Manu, who was a relatively seasoned pro, and realized he couldn't put a leash on him, so he shaped him in a different way. I think Rick is doing the same with Monta in Dallas.
The player has to respect the coach and be willing though. I suspect Russ would be open to that, but you don't know until you try I guess.

ElNono
09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

Thread
09-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Pop has a good feel about that stuff. He took Manu, who was a relatively seasoned pro, and realized he couldn't put a leash on him, so he shaped him in a different way. I think Rick is doing the same with Monta in Dallas.
The player has to respect the coach and be willing though. I suspect Russ would be open to that, but you don't know until you try I guess.

Though Pop did fail Duncan,,,and vice versa, yes, when Dunc needed him most. Amy, and her mouthpiece, yes, put the hi & the lo to Dunc. Instead of Dunc's father figure, the Polack from Hell giving him the Dutch uncle treatment, he failed him. Result? You got it, daddy:::6.

benefactor
09-30-2014, 06:14 PM
wont disagree but based off what exactly? How is Mj really "Deep"? He is my GOAT but I wouldn't describe him as such. A killer. Obsessed. Ultimate competitor. But deep?

Well I'm not saying that Manu or Jordan will be teaching any philosophy classes anytime soon, but they don't say shit like this either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kS_qLzPWVg

To be a little more blunt, I think Westbrook has too much dumb neger in him that has been allowed to take root through the most impressionable years of a young adults life(20-25 years old). If he had a real mentor during those years things might have been different. Could a Spurs/Mavs environment work some of it out of him now? Perhaps...but I would push all the chips in on it.

phoenix219
09-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Dat picture

Westbrook taking that Monkeyfrog persona a little too seriously

So is this guy blind, or does he not own mirrors? :P

moisaenz
09-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Westbrook looks like brodie from the show, The Wire.

J_Paco
09-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Exactly, that's why it'll take a quality third banana emerging if they'll ever win. Kid is too egotistical and needs to realize that his game isn't anywhere near the best, yet. He is the most physically gifted point guard, possibly ever, but Paul, Parker and a few others have the mental game that he severely lacks.

J_Paco
09-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Inch or inch, he's better than Durant, maybe even to a large degree. But inches matter a lot in the NBA. He's certainly the harder player to stop, since Durant still hasn't learned how to use his size yet.

No offense, but do you realize how stupid you sound? Durant is a 4 - time scoring champion and league MVP, while the best Russ has done is All - NBA 2nd team. Durant is an once in a lifetime player, the second best player of his generation and is only improving while Westbrook is an uber athletic point guard in the vain of Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury. Not to mention that at least two other players represent the same sort of combination of elite athleticism and size at the PG position (John Wall and Derrick Rose) that Russell has, while we've never seen a 6'11'' small forward with Durant's combination of size, athleticism, scoring ability and legitimate guard skills.

In the 2014 WCF that people claim Westbrook "dominated" while Durant "shrank":

Westbrook: 26.7 PPG on 40.7% FG, 28.1% 3-P FG, 91.2% FT, 5.7 RPG, 7.3 APG, 3.2 SPG, 4.0 TOPG in 36.9 MPG
Durant: 25.8 PPG on 47.5% FG, 33.3 3-P FG, 75.7% FT, 7.7 RPG, 3.2 APG, 1.2 SPG, 3.3 TOPG in 39.2 MPG

And his ability to drive is a bit overrated when he's never been an elite finisher.

At the Rim (Regular Season): 52.98% (Post-Season): 51.76%

But please allow your hate of Durant to prop up this egotistical, simple - minded chucking point guard who would be nothing without his insane athleticism and won't win shit while Scott Brooks (and Durant too) continues to enable him.

Chinook
09-30-2014, 08:49 PM
No offense, but do you realize how stupid you sound? Durant is a 4 - time scoring champion and league MVP, while the best Russ has done is All - NBA 2nd team. Durant is an once in a lifetime player, the second best player of his generation and is only improving while Westbrook is an uber athletic point guard in the vain of Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury. Not to mention that at least two other players represent the same sort of combination of elite athleticism and size at the PG position (John Wall and Derrick Rose) that Russell has, while we've never seen a 6'11'' small forward with Durant's combination of size, athleticism, scoring ability and legitimate guard skills.

Hence the term, "inch for inch". Durant is so awesome because he's taller than everyone. Kudos to him for having coordination to make that work, but he should still be much better than he is. No way does it make sense that Chris Paul can D him up. Also, Durant's height:weight ratio actually hurts him when he tries to post up, but for some reason, he keeps trying. Not to mention that Durant can only defend smaller wings.

I like KD a lot, and I think he's the second- or third-best player in the league. But that's because he's a seven-foot two-guard. In terms of tangibles and skills, I'd put Russ only behind Lebron right now.

spurraider21
09-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Pop shoulda done Amy that-a-way before the June of '13 post season. It'd a saved a decent amount of aggravation & your 5th.
what? before Duncan threw Amy out we hadn't sniffed the finals in 7 years. Soon as Duncan threw her out with nary a prenup, we made back to back finals

Chinook
09-30-2014, 09:00 PM
what? before Duncan threw Amy out we hadn't sniffed the finals in 7 years. Soon as Duncan threw her out with nary a prenup, we made back to back finals

Don't mind Cully. He's distracted because he's been roaming the Texas countryside looking for the bag. He should have headed West to LA, though. Maybe you could show him the way to the Staples Center?

J_Paco
09-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Hence the term, "inch for inch". Durant is so awesome because he's taller than everyone. Kudos to him for having coordination to make that work, but he should still be much better than he is. No way does it make sense that Chris Paul can D him up. Also, Durant's height:weight ratio actually hurts him when he tries to post up, but for some reason, he keeps trying. Not to mention that Durant can only defend smaller wings.

I like KD a lot, and I think he's the second- or third-best player in the league. But that's because he's a seven-foot two-guard. In terms of tangibles and skills, I'd put Russ only behind Lebron right now.

LOL

I'll make sure to take all of your posts with a grain of salt from now on. You are insane if you think Russell Westbrook is a superior player to Kevin Durant or even more skilled for that matter. Westbrook also holds a decided size, athleticism advantage over most PGs that he faces being that he's 6'3'', 200 lbs. and can jump out the gym.

Brunodf
09-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Good shit, keep shooting OKC out of the games.:bobo

Chinook
09-30-2014, 09:45 PM
LOL

I'll make sure to take all of your posts with a grain of salt from now on. You are insane if you think Russell Westbrook is a superior player to Kevin Durant or even more skilled for that matter. Westbrook also holds a decided size, athleticism advantage over most PGs that he faces being that he's 6'3'', 200 lbs. and can jump out the gym.

Okay.

Thread
09-30-2014, 09:47 PM

That "made" shit is for the birds, daddy. & you know it.

ElNono
09-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Though Pop did fail Duncan,,,and vice versa, yes, when Dunc needed him most. Amy, and her mouthpiece, yes, put the hi & the lo to Dunc. Instead of Dunc's father figure, the Polack from Hell giving him the Dutch uncle treatment, he failed him. Result? You got it, daddy:::6.

Though without Pop, Duncan and Amy we're stuck at 4.

Instead, you get to eat the shit sammich and carry the bag.

ElNono
09-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Don't mind Cully. He's distracted because he's been roaming the Texas countryside looking for the bag. He should have headed West to LA, though. Maybe you could show him the way to the Staples Center?

Dunno if it's inadvertent or what, but he's been literally carrying The Bag all summer in the NBA forum... :lol

ElNono
09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Well I'm not saying that Manu or Jordan will be teaching any philosophy classes anytime soon, but they don't say shit like this either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kS_qLzPWVg

To be a little more blunt, I think Westbrook has too much dumb neger in him that has been allowed to take root through the most impressionable years of a young adults life(20-25 years old). If he had a real mentor during those years things might have been different. Could a Spurs/Mavs environment work some of it out of him now? Perhaps...but I would push all the chips in on it.

Certainly possible I'm wrong about it. I just dont think Brooks has the respect, balls and credibility to sit his ass down and coach him when needed, which is largely what he needs, IMO.

spurraider21
09-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Certainly possible I'm wrong about it. I just dont think Brooks has the respect, balls and credibility to sit his ass down and coach him when needed, which is largely what he needs, IMO.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2102825/madruss.gif

Chinook
09-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Dunno if it's inadvertent or what, but he's been literally carrying The Bag all summer in the NBA forum... :lol

That's kind of impressive, seeing as it has an NBA shooting-guard stuffed in it.

Thread
09-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Though without Pop, Duncan and Amy we're stuck at 4.

Instead, you get to eat the shit sammich and carry the bag.

Kobe: 5

the tired old shit bag Duncan: 5

ElNono
09-30-2014, 10:36 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2102825/madruss.gif

:lol

MI21
10-01-2014, 09:44 AM
I really dislike a lot about him, but he was impressive as fuck in the playoffs against good competition.

I don't agree with his statement though - if the gap between his good games and bad games shrinks and he starts playing defense like he did the first couple of seasons, he might be right.

Dex
10-01-2014, 03:37 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/05/Russell_Westbrook-1.gif

phoenix219
10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Just came to the quickest Thunder thread to post....

ahahahahahaha.

Durant can't palm a basketball :D

unforeseen
10-03-2014, 05:16 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2529277/russhurt_medium.gif