PDA

View Full Version : Emmitt Smith to work with NFL Network

Manu20
08-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Updated: Aug. 24, 2005, 9:37 PM ET
Smith to work with NFL Network
ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2141853

Dallas Cowboys: Emmitt Smith will be the lead studio analyst for the NFL Network, The Dallas Morning News reported, starting Sept. 12.

"Obviously I have been thinking about getting into broadcasting for a while," Smith told the paper. "Michael and myself have talked about certain things over the last couple of years, and this was one of them."

"I saw Troy [Aikman] make the jump, Daryl [Johnston] and Michael," Smith told the paper. "Now it's my turn."

Cowboys' cuts
Starting kicker Billy Cundiff, who was injured during practice Saturday, and second-year offensive lineman Jacob Rogers, projected as the team's starting right tackle at the outset of training camp were cut.

Also released were wide receiver Ahmad Merritt, fullback Darian Barnes, free safety Izell Reese and linebacker Mike Goolsby. The Cowboys signed veteran free safety Rich Coady, released by the Atlanta Falcons last weekend, to a one-year, $540,000 contract.

It is believed the team is working on injury settlements with Cundiff and and Rogers. Barnes (sprained ankle) and Merritt (foot ligaments) might also merit injury settlements.

Cundiff, 25, is a talented kicker, both strong-legged and accurate, but team officials decided they could not afford to retain him on the roster for the four to six weeks that it might take him to recover. The problem was initially diagnosed as a hip flexor injury, but Cundiff actually suffered quadriceps damage and faces at least a month of rehabilitation.

In three seasons with the club, Cundiff has converted 55 of 74 field goal attempts, with just three misses in 38 tries of less than 40 yards. He has also made all but one of his 87 extra point attempts. Cundiff averaged 60.7 yards on kickoffs and had a career-best three touchbacks in 2004. If he clears waivers, Cundiff can reach an injury settlement or spend the entire season on injured reserve. With an injury settlement, Cundiff would be free to sign with another team and, once recovered from the quadriceps injury, would likely have several suitors around the league.

For now, the Cowboys will go with kicker Jose Cortez, a journeyman who is with his fifth different team.

A second-round pick in the 2004 draft, Jacobs fell out of favor with the Cowboys because of his inability to stay healthy. The former Southern California star appeared in only two games as a rookie after undergoing shoulder surgery. Then last week, the club announced Jacobs would undergo season-ending "microfracture" surgery on his right knee. After the announcement, owner Jerry Jones hinted that the organization felt Jacobs could have played in 2005 and then had the surgery after the season.

Coady, 29, is a six-year veteran with 83 appearances and 16 starts in stints with St. Louis and Tennessee. The former Texas A&M standout auditioned for the Carolina Panthers on Tuesday but was not offered a contract. He has 177 tackles and two interceptions.

-- [I]Len Pasquarelli

N.Y. Johnny
08-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Emmitt Smith would be interesting to see on there, The Eagles LB with the bow tie on NFL Network is good....they need to fire Sterling Sharpe he sucks