PDA

View Full Version : OT: Worst year of your sports fandom?

AlexJones
09-29-2014, 11:49 PM
I'll start: 2009 for me.. :lol-16 Detroit Lions, Tigers choke away a 3 game division lead with 4 games to play & lose game 163, Wings lose in the Cup Final, Mavs losing to the Thuggets and giving Melo his conference finals appearance

HI-FI
09-29-2014, 11:55 PM
sup Iris

spurraider21
09-29-2014, 11:57 PM
sup Iris
:lol wouldn't surprise me, this was always one of the tag team accounts that would pile on in the circlejerk threads. although iirc alexjones would also talk smack about irishock too. would be sad if true

Thread
09-30-2014, 12:00 AM
'84. I was filled with such hatred for the Celtics even before we were defeated. I was in such a terrible dark place before it even commenced. I knew we were going to lose. We had no way up and out, no map, no history, no past of anything but horrific loss and humiliating defeat. I hated those fuckers with every bone in my body. Dangerous hatred, lethal hatred. And as much as I've won since that Summer it's never been enough. '84 is stronger than all the victories since. I can put myself in such a dark hole when I go back those 30 years.

HI-FI
09-30-2014, 12:02 AM
'84. I was filled with such hatred for the Celtics even before we were defeated. I was in such a terrible dark place before it even commenced. I knew we were going to lose. We had no way up and out, no map, no history, no past of anything but horrific loss and humiliating defeat. I hated those fuckers with every bone in my body. Dangerous hatred, lethal hatred. As as much as I've won since that Summer it's never been enough. '84 is stronger than all the victories since. I can put myself in such a dark hole when I go back those 30 years.
i think that's bothered you more than 6 has for us. guess our redemption was more inspiring.

AlexJones
09-30-2014, 12:03 AM
'84. I was filled with such hatred for the Celtics even before we were defeated. I was in such a terrible dark place before it even commenced. I knew we were going to lose. We had no way up and out, no map, no history, no past of anything but horrific loss and humiliating defeat. I hated those fuckers with every bone in my body. Dangerous hatred, lethal hatred. And as much as I've won since that Summer it's never been enough. '84 is stronger than all the victories since. I can put myself in such a dark hole when I go back those 30 years.

How did you manage to survive both 06 and 07? I read somewhere that AZ Central thought you were dead by summer of '07.

Thread
09-30-2014, 12:06 AM
i think that's bothered you more than 6 has for us. guess our redemption was more inspiring.

Hey, dummy, 6 can't be redeemed. I've told you this time & again. You won 5, but, it has no bearing on 6. 6 is penance.

And there are those among you who feel just as deeply about 6 as I do about '84. But, of course those guys would never have it in them to state such.

Thread
09-30-2014, 12:09 AM
How did you manage to survive both 06 and 07? I read somewhere that AZ Central thought you were dead by summer of '07.

They knew I wasn't, but, it was their way to bust my chops, and I had no way to prove it to them in real time because they'd locked me out. And as I had indoctrinated them in the '90's with the Spisak Manifesto they knew they had accomplished nothing by beating us, so they really never put on the dog (I read their site daily).

AlexJones
09-30-2014, 12:11 AM
They knew I wasn't, but, it was their way to bust my chops, and I had no way to prove it to them in real time because they'd locked me out. And as I had indoctrinated them in the '90's with the Spisak Manifesto they knew they had accomplished nothing by beating us, so they really never put on the dog (I read their site daily).

I must imagine '97 was a tough year for you, watching the Tribe blow game 7 of the world series and Kobe airballing 3 times in Utah.

Thread
09-30-2014, 12:12 AM
I must imagine '97 was a tough year for you, watching the Tribe blow game 7 of the world series and Kobe airballing 3 times in Utah.

I'd forsaken The Tribe when they moved off the Lakefront.

Clipper Nation
09-30-2014, 12:13 AM
As long as we're only counting pro sports, it's tough to top 2006 for sheer pain... Marty/McCree, Raja Bell, and the God-awful '06 Kings with Cloutier in net (following the epic collapse and Roenick's quitting the previous season) all in the same year....

AlexJones
09-30-2014, 12:13 AM

You're a Cavs, Browns, Tribe, Lakers and Suns fan.

Thread
09-30-2014, 12:14 AM
You're a Cavs, Browns, Tribe, Lakers and Suns fan.

No. I'm a Lakers, Spurs, and Suns fan.

HI-FI
09-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Hey, dummy, 6 can't be redeemed. I've told you this time & again. You won 5, but, it has no bearing on 6. 6 is penance.

And there are those among you who feel just as deeply about 6 as I do about '84. But, of course those guys would never have it in them to state such.
the problem with 6 is that people said Spurs were only there because of Westbrook's injury. so for them to not only get back to the same place, but overcome the Thunder in the process and obliterate the Heat, is epic. sorry you haven't experienced anything like it though.

Clipper Nation
09-30-2014, 12:16 AM

That's chickenshit and piss-pot.

Sean Cagney
09-30-2014, 12:17 AM

6 was redeemed this year, beating the shit out of the same team that stole 6 from you in fashion made it that much sweeter of a revenge! That made it bittersweet to beat them both times on their floor and take it in 5 at home.

To you it might not be redeemed but to us fans and players and their coaches it made us smile and enjoy this one THAT Much more sir.

For me it would have to be 06 game 7 against Dallas, if we win that one we win the title that year and go on to threepeat! DAMNIT that foul at the end of regulation, that one will sting for a long time and the worst defeat IMO because that was a threepeat! They had it and Manu fouled it away :( No way we lose to the damn Heat that year like the Mavs did by choking, no way in hell.

6 is next up though, that one was just tough to swallow all damn summer long no matter how you look at it. Those two losses got me the worst, thank GOD we won the titles the year later to redeem them or else it would have stung 100 times worse. I can't imagine the Spurs never winning a title again after 6 and that being our last memory of the finals as fans of this team! Danny Greens shooting for nothing and Kawhi retiring one day ringless after that and then seeing that is their only memory of the finals and it ended that way! I could not imagine their mind state if that was their only trip and it went out like that, would truly be devistating to the players like the 35-3 comeback from the Bills over the Oilers in 93, no coming back.

Thread
09-30-2014, 12:17 AM
the problem with 6 is that people said Spurs were only there because of Westbrook's injury. so for them to not only get back to the same place, but overcome the Thunder in the process and obliterate the Heat, is epic. sorry you haven't experienced anything like it though.

Still has no bearing on 6. Doesn't matter how you got there. You got there, won it, then had to relinquish it.

Christ, just suffer. It's part of your DNA. Don't fight it. Embrace it. It's life. It lives. Just like 5 and the other 4. 6 lives, it breathes.

Thread
09-30-2014, 12:18 AM
6 was redeemed this year

Fuck it, I'm goin' to couch. You fuckers.

Clipper Nation
09-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Still has no bearing on 6. Doesn't matter how you got there. You got there, won it, then had to relinquish it.

Christ, just suffer. It's part of your DNA. Don't fight it. Embrace it. It's life. It lives. Just like 5 and the other 4. 6 lives, it breathes.

Mesa lives, too. You don't get to chickenshit out of it with the "but they moved off the Lakefront!!!" excuse.

AlexJones
09-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Mesa lives, too. You don't get to chickenshit out of it with the "but they moved off the Lakefront!!!" excuse.

:lmao he knows damn well his eyes were glued onto the screen, heart pounding like crazy, when Edgar Renteria came up to bat in the 11th.

Killakobe81
09-30-2014, 12:44 AM
This. The past two summer ain't shit to watching your hated rivals celebrate a title you have and then give away ... Magic became tragic Johnson until we won and big game James was a choker thank God we got a rematch in 1985. Like last year spur's winning against the team that took it is only way to redeem it. It doesn't erase the loss(though it hurts cully more than me) ...but every time they show Henderson stealing that cross-court from Worthy a small knife pricks my heart. but man is revenge sweet so I get what Spur fan is saying too ...

DeadlyDynasty
09-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Last 2 years--all 5 of my teams have seen their darkest days. In fact, 4/5 have been embarrassing for a decade+

JoeTait75
09-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Got a lot of years to choose from.

1990-91 was bad: the Browns went 3-13 after reaching the AFC title game three times in four years; the Cavaliers went 33-49 after Mark Price blew out a knee colliding with the scorer's table in Atlanta; then the 1991 Indians went 57-105.

Then there was 2010: LeBron sandbagged the last two games of the Boston series, went to Miami and the 2010-11 Cavaliers went 19-63; the 2010 Indians went 69-93; and the Browns had their typical post-1999 season.

JoeTait75
09-30-2014, 09:05 AM

I'm aware of and understand your antipathy toward publicly-financed stadiums, Cully- but the Indians were either moving off the Lakefront or they were moving to Tampa. Besides, have you ever been to the Jake/Prog? It's a lovely place to watch a ballgame.

Thread
09-30-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm aware of and understand your antipathy toward publicly-financed stadiums, Cully- but the Indians were either moving off the Lakefront or they were moving to Tampa. Besides, have you ever been to the Jake/Prog? It's a lovely place to watch a ballgame.

I would never step foot in there. Christ it even looks like a minor league park from the street.

There was nothing wrong with Municipal Stadium. Remember that old fucker underneath the bridge, Joe? That crabby SOB.

spurraider21
09-30-2014, 12:06 PM
2004 probably.

Rich Gannon's career ending injury (in a game I attended, no less)
Spurs losing to the Lakers in 0.4

DAF86
09-30-2014, 12:16 PM
2011- River Plate got relegated for the first and only time in history, the Spurs got 8'ed and Argentina lost the "Copa America" at home.

Damn, I never realized before how much that sporting year sucked.

DAF86
09-30-2014, 12:17 PM
2014 is shaping up to be one of the best if not the best, tbh.

benefactor
09-30-2014, 12:29 PM
2010 is a good one for me, mostly because of expectations that fell flat in all three of the sports I follow the most.

Spurs...fools gold 60 win season followed by 8. :lol RJ.

Texans...seemed to be trending upward after a 9-7 season that saw Schaub have a career year passing, but ultimately pissed it away with a historically bad year defensively. Gave up 30 plus in 8 games and had a streak where they lost 8 out of 9 including an OT loss to Baltimore that still haunts me in my sleep. Houston football at it's finest. Wasted Foster's best season of his career.

Longhorns...stared the year ranked #5 after losing the BCS championship the previous year. Ended the year with a failed Garrett Gilbert experiment and a 5-7 record, which included losses to Aggie, Boomer and Baylor.

Robz4000
09-30-2014, 12:49 PM
2013 (from meh to ffffffffffffff):

-Yotes lose in the first round for the hundredth time
-Phil chokes in the US Open again
-Rangers fall flat in Game 163
-Niners choke in the Superbowl

HI-FI
09-30-2014, 11:52 PM
2013 (from meh to ffffffffffffff):

-Niners choke in the Superbowl
co-signed.
2013 was definitely the shittiest for sports. i'm grateful both of my teams made it that far, but both ended with more questions than answers (Smith over Kaep, not benching Duncan etc....). Least Spurs found redemption.

Thread
10-01-2014, 12:24 AM
co-signed.
2013 was definitely the shittiest for sports. i'm grateful both of my teams made it that far, but both ended with more questions than answers (Smith over Kaep, not benching Duncan etc....). Least Spurs found redemption.

There is no redemption for 6. And if you were half the man I thought you were years ago you'd act like somebody now & suffer your penance.

HI-FI
10-01-2014, 01:00 AM
There is no redemption for 6. And if you were half the man I thought you were years ago you'd act like somebody now & suffer your penance.
:lol
:bobo

Leetonidas
10-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Any year that faggot Richard Jefferson played for the Spurs

Trainwreck2100
10-01-2014, 09:46 AM

There was no redemption without penance so to say there's no redemption but it is penance is kind of a controdiction

Thread
10-01-2014, 10:13 AM
There was no redemption without penance so to say there's no redemption but it is penance is kind of a controdiction

That's the reality of 6. It cannot be redeemed. This penance, your penance simply will not end. It's like murdering somebody. Sure, you can feel sorry, but, they ain't coming back. You feel sorry about 6. But, 6 ain't comin' back. God forbid, God fucking forbid that you win the next half dozen NBA Titles. You will still be short 1. That is 6.

Trainwreck2100
10-01-2014, 10:26 AM
That's the reality of 6. It cannot be redeemed. This penance, your penance simply will not end. It's like murdering somebody. Sure, you can feel sorry, but, they ain't coming back. You feel sorry about 6. But, 6 ain't comin' back. God forbid, God fucking forbid that you win the next half dozen NBA Titles. You will still be short 1. That is 6.

What you falil to realize is five was fate without 6 there is 5 and with 6there is 5. Without 6 the Spurs Re-sign Neal and possibly Blair. No beli and mills would still be a fantastic. Now you're staring down shotgun the barrel of Duncan 6 Kobe 5 and you know it. If that happens you're done and you fucking know it. Duncan doesn't need a dozen titles to shove it up your ass just on.

Kyle Orton
10-01-2014, 10:29 AM

67 win mavs and Sean taylor

Thread
10-01-2014, 10:30 AM
What you falil to realize is five was fate without 6 there is 5 and with 6there is 5. Without 6 the Spurs Re-sign Neal and possibly Blair. No beli and mills would still be a fantastic. Now you're staring down shotgun the barrel of Duncan 6 Kobe 5 and you know it. If that happens you're done and you fucking know it. Duncan doesn't need a dozen titles to shove it up your ass just on.

I ain't goin' nowhere twixt June & April.

I have 6 & bub, I ain't ever lettin' it go.

Trainwreck2100
10-01-2014, 10:45 AM
I ain't goin' nowhere twixt June & April.

I have 6 & bub, I ain't ever lettin' it go.

If God willing we get six you are done you'll have 6 but we'll have 6. Twill be the end and you know it

Bill_Brasky
10-01-2014, 10:58 AM
If God willing we get six you are done you'll have 6 but we'll have 6. Twill be the end and you know it

He'd have to hope for 7 so he could have his 6 back :lol

Thread
10-01-2014, 11:09 AM

No, I'll always have 6. And 6 won't change 6.

Thread
10-01-2014, 11:10 AM
He'd have to hope for 7 so he could have his 6 back :lol

No, Brasky, no. I created 6. I'll have it until there are no more tomorrows.

You fucked up. And I'm going to make sure you never forget it.

That's what I do.

lil_penny
10-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Thread
10-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Oh, yeah, Media was gathering in those shallows gonna go after Daddy like the last pork chop on the plate. Gonna do him dirt, Hell, gonna do him damnable dirt. Kobe put a stopper in the bottle on that toot sweet.

Media...LMFAO!!!

Bill_Brasky
10-01-2014, 11:52 AM
No, Brasky, no. I created 6. I'll have it until there are no more tomorrows.

You fucked up. And I'm going to make sure you never forget it.

That's what I do.
no matter what you do with your life, if you dont make mistakes then you arent doing it right. :bobo

Thread
10-01-2014, 12:39 PM
no matter what you do with your life, if you dont make mistakes then you arent doing it right. :bobo

Your capitulation is duly noted.

midnightpulp
10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Last year for me. Spurs choke, Kershaw gives up a 1000 runs to the Cards in the biggest game of his career, Raiders are irrelevant, as usual.

'02 sucked, as well. Raiders get destroyed in the Bowl. Spurs blow every 4th quarter lead against the hated Lakers. Dodgers win 92 games and still miss the playoffs.

spurraider21
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Last year for me. Spurs choke, Kershaw gives up a 1000 runs to the Cards in the biggest game of his career, Raiders are irrelevant, as usual.

'02 sucked, as well. Raiders get destroyed in the Bowl. Spurs blow every 4th quarter lead against the hated Lakers. Dodgers win 92 games and still miss the playoffs.
https://i.imgflip.com/cmafw.jpg

rogues
10-01-2014, 01:12 PM

:lol Raiders, tbh..you're cool Mid..if anything, when the Raiders suck, which is like every year..I take solace in the fact that that disgusting Armenian doesn't get to enjoy this great sports of ours..and no, fantasy football can only get you so excited..

lil_penny
10-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Oh, yeah, Media was gathering in those shallows gonna go after Daddy like the last pork chop on the plate. Gonna do him dirt, Hell, gonna do him damnable dirt. Kobe put a stopper in the bottle on that toot sweet.

Media...LMFAO!!!

I was 16 at the time. That 4th quarter will forever stay etched in my mind, I was the lone blazer fan in a room full of laker fans.

Jeff Leppard
10-01-2014, 02:56 PM
No, I'll always have 6. And 6 won't change 6.

Yes, it will. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

Thread
10-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Yes, it will. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

No. 6 will be 6 and I will cite it in the fine traditions. But, I will never let 6 wane, wither, or, disappear.

It happened. I'm entitled and well within my rights. And I'm going to pound it up their ass until I draw breath on earth no more.

Let us proceed...

Jeff Leppard
10-01-2014, 03:26 PM
No. 6 will be 6 and I will cite it in the fine traditions. But, I will never let 6 wane, wither, or, disappear.

It happened. I'm entitled and well within my rights. And I'm going to pound it up their ass until I draw breath on earth no more.

Let us proceed...

Sure. It will always be there. However, for Lakerfan it won't matter, and you know it.

baseline bum
10-01-2014, 03:43 PM
2006: Ginobili throws away a title with the retard foul on Nowitzki in Game 7 and Florida shits all over UCLA in the national championship game. Though it was pretty awesome seeing UCLA knock USC out of the BCS championship that year, and then watch the cops come buck niggas down with rubber bullets during the riot after tbh.

Thread
10-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Sure. It will always be there. However, for Lakerfan it won't matter, and you know it.

Then they won't mind me pounding it up their ass.