PDA

View Full Version : No one give a f about Ebola in Dallas?

cantthinkofanything
09-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Or does that go in NBA forum?

boutons_deux
09-30-2014, 04:30 PM
One person in Dallas isn't the problem, it's ALL the people that person is/was in contact with getting to Dallas.

Just put some Robatussin or Windex on it, fixed.

CosmicCowboy
09-30-2014, 04:33 PM
meh...unless that shit goes airborne it's no big deal. You gotta be exposed to bodily fluids. Dumbasses in africa were intentionally exposing themselves to deaders out of stupidity.

cantthinkofanything
09-30-2014, 04:34 PM
One person in Dallas isn't the problem, it's ALL the people that person is/was in contact with getting to Dallas.

Just put some Robatussin or Windex on it, fixed.

No shit. They are saying not to worry because he's in isolation. Forget about everything that happened before then.

boutons_deux
09-30-2014, 04:37 PM
meh...unless that shit goes airborne it's no big deal. You gotta be exposed to bodily fluids. Dumbasses in africa were intentionally exposing themselves to deaders out of stupidity.

so you denigrate stupidity in Africa but count on TX Repug voters to keep "exposing themselves" to toxic Repug govt? :lol

CosmicCowboy
09-30-2014, 04:41 PM
The Ignorant fucks in Africa are the real problem. They keep spreading that shit around and every new host gives it a new opportunity to mutate.

CosmicCowboy
09-30-2014, 04:43 PM
If Kools uncle had just kept his dick out of that monkeys ass we wouldn't be having to worry about Ebola to start with.

m>s
09-30-2014, 06:33 PM
good luck ebola chan!

Big Empty
09-30-2014, 08:48 PM
He had to be showing symptoms for it to spread. Scary though

Dirk Oneanddoneski
09-30-2014, 08:50 PM
This could be a big deal. Being an Africoon most likely they were visiting other n¡ggers in south Dallas. We don't know how many n¡ggers he or she muh dik'd or muh poosie'd but I bet its at least 10. And now that the Texas state fair is open, the only time south Dallas n¡ggers work all year they can easily spread it thru Fletcher's corny dogs and whatever new shit they are deep frying. I'd cancel your fair plans and stay away from filthy beans, nigs, and celestials tbh

boutons_deux
10-02-2014, 09:26 AM
I hear on NPR that health care orgs have been preparing for Ebola FOR WEEKS, as if it weren't in the news EVERY DAY.

In Dallas,

1. guy in ER sick

2. says he flew from fricking LIBERIA DING! DING! DING!

3. given some dope and sent home

4. ER people tell upper people

5. no reaction, until he comes back extremely ill.

Then I hear some doc defending Dal hospital saying "no other hospital/ER would have done anything different" which sounds exactly like the guilty, incompetent Repug refusing all accountability with "nobody could have foreseen/prevented WTC attack" (in spite of months of red flags).

cantthinkofanything
10-02-2014, 10:15 AM
I hear on NPR that health care orgs have been preparing for Ebola FOR WEEKS, as if it weren't in the news EVERY DAY.

In Dallas,

1. guy in ER sick

Then I hear some doc defending Dal hospital saying "no other hospital/ER would have done anything different" which sounds exactly like the guilty, incompetent Repug refusing all accountability with "nobody could have foreseen/prevented WTC attack" (in spite of months of red flags).

for once I agree with you.

"we've got it all under control"
"well, except for this guy..."
"but it's all good now"
"except we're not real sure about how many others he might have infected"

On CNN, they were interviewing someone involved and she said...

Our first step is to make sure the patient is properly cared for and is comfortable and receiving the most up to date treatment.
Step two is to retrace his steps and identify the people that he came in contact with.

RandomGuy
10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Primitive superstition and scientific ignorance will do that.

RandomGuy
10-02-2014, 12:13 PM

In Dallas,

1. guy in ER sick

Eyup.

That blew my mind, when it came out that the information was there, it just didn't get used or communicated.

Luckily for the hospital, Republicans passed medical tort reform. Don't even think about suing them for fucking up, cause they can't be held liable past a rather paltry amount.

Hooray unintended consequences.

Tort reform didn't do jack shit to reign in medical costs or add doctors, but did help keep bad doctors practicing medicine at large corporations.

cantthinkofanything
10-02-2014, 01:16 PM
This is just like Jurassic Park except with Ebola instead of Dinosaurs.

TeyshaBlue
10-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Eyup.

That blew my mind, when it came out that the information was there, it just didn't get used or communicated.

Luckily for the hospital, Republicans passed medical tort reform. Don't even think about suing them for fucking up, cause they can't be held liable past a rather paltry amount.

Hooray unintended consequences.

Tort reform didn't do jack shit to reign in medical costs or add doctors, but did help keep bad doctors practicing medicine at large corporations.

Ever worked in a hospital ER? Eyup.
Nice little Repub rant tho.

TeyshaBlue
10-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Until a reliable standardized HIS system is in place (one of many benefits of a single payor system), this type of communication lapse shouldnt be a surprise to anyone tbh.

TeyshaBlue
10-02-2014, 01:41 PM
<------Used to be married to an ER RN.

cantthinkofanything
10-02-2014, 01:49 PM
<------Used to be married to an ER RN.

pics please. in a nurse's uniform with stockings.

xrayzebra
10-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Boutons and others have it all figured out, it is global warming and Bush and the Republicans fault. Obama thinks it is Ebole that is the problem.
Ebole is what he said in his speech today.

Oh, Gee!!
10-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Proably should quarantine any person coming through US customs by way of Africa.

boutons_deux
10-03-2014, 09:18 AM
The Dallas hospital had recently completed a Fed govt training in Ebola preparedness, was a Gold Standard! :lol

$3T/year to these clowns, and they still aren't competent, but THEY ARE RICH!

CosmicCowboy
10-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Link where he told them the first time he had just flown in from Liberia. That's not exactly a standard question on the admission form.

TeyshaBlue
10-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Link where he told them the first time he had just flown in from Liberia. That's not exactly a standard question on the admission form.

He lied on the clearing docs at the airport.

TeyshaBlue
10-03-2014, 09:27 AM
A little more background on the mis communication. I called it....bad HIS.

http://wfaa.mlnwap.com/article.html#!/11687/ae02846ae95cd7abfb0cf3a6e283be08

boutons_deux
10-03-2014, 09:43 AM

IIRC, he TOLD, not wrote, the ER people he came from Liberia. anyway, they knew, they passed it upwards, no action.

TeyshaBlue
10-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Except the info didnt get passed upward. It got orphaned.

RandomGuy
10-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Ever worked in a hospital ER? Eyup.
Nice little Repub rant tho.

Couldn't resist it.

Had to audit a medmal insurer, so I got to dig a bit to understand tort reform and its effects.

It would be impolitic, and illegal, to reveal what I read in their claims files, but let's just say it did not make me a big fan of tort reform.

It was a hugely partisan effort that didn't do what it's supporters claimed, and had some rather nasty effects on regular people who really deserved more from the justice system than what they ended up getting.

Let's just say grandma is literally worth less under this law than you or I.

RandomGuy
10-03-2014, 11:39 AM
IIRC, he TOLD, not wrote, the ER people he came from Liberia. anyway, they knew, they passed it upwards, no action.

He had to fill out a questionairre to the Liberian authorities, where he appears to have lied. They have announced that they will prosecute him for that, if he ever returns.

He did tell the ER intake that he traveled to Liberia though. That is where the miscommunication happened that we are discussing.

boutons_deux
10-03-2014, 11:41 AM
He did tell the ER intake that he traveled to Liberia though. That is where the miscommunication happened that we are discussing.

thanks for catching up with the rest of us.

vy65
10-03-2014, 12:10 PM
It was a hugely partisan effort that didn't do what it's supporters claimed, and had some rather nasty effects on regular people who really deserved more from the justice system than what they ended up getting..

I'm curious about this. Assuming you're referring to the damages cap, injured plaintiffs still can recover all their medical expenses. Thier pain and suffering is capped at 250k per doctor (and another 500k for up to two medical providers in addition to the doctor, or 750k total). They have their injuries paid for - and get an extra 750k for gruesome malpractice. Why aren't they getting what they deserve?

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of tort reform either, but that's because it limits the sorts of cases I can take and make big money on. That shit was a boon for plaintiff's lawyers back in the day, which makes for odd bedfellows for a bleeding heart such as yourself.

cantthinkofanything
10-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm curious about this. Assuming you're referring to the damages cap, injured plaintiffs still can recover all their medical expenses. Thier pain and suffering is capped at 250k per doctor (and another 500k for up to two medical providers in addition to the doctor, or 750k total). They have their injuries paid for - and get an extra 750k for gruesome malpractice. Why aren't they getting what they deserve?

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of tort reform either, but that's because it limits the sorts of cases I can take and make big money on. That shit was a boon for plaintiff's lawyers back in the day, which makes for odd bedfellows for a bleeding heart such as yourself.

you should sue God for gruesome malpractice on your face

TeyshaBlue
10-03-2014, 06:49 PM
thanks for catching up with the rest of us.

Youre not quite there yet. :lmao

Th'Pusher
10-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Would you allow me to cut off your leg for $750k?

TeyshaBlue
10-03-2014, 07:32 PM
In!

Th'Pusher
10-03-2014, 08:17 PM
In!
Yeah. But you're on one leg and one lung as it is :lol

TeyshaBlue
10-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Yarr.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/Seamus1_zpslphu38og.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/teyshablue/media/Seamus1_zpslphu38og.jpg.html)

TDMVPDPOY
10-03-2014, 11:35 PM
africans with ebola, nobody gives a shit

black american with ebola, do you think anyone gives a shit?

lol saving the white ebola victims

Bender
10-04-2014, 12:38 PM
now the hospital is denying that it got orphaned. They say it did get passed along. Story changing each day. Foreigner, no insurance... give him some pills and send him home...

No matter what, it's spells massive incompetence.

vy65
10-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Would you allow me to cut off your leg for $750k?

Holy shit you're fucking dumb

Th'Pusher
10-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Just answer the question pussy.

boutons_deux
10-04-2014, 06:45 PM
looks like the consensus is that DAL hospital erred, and EVERY health care provider is now (finally?) super seriously watching for Ebola syndrome and then African travels.

TeyshaBlue
10-04-2014, 06:58 PM
100,000 killed by measels last year. 3000 killed Ebola in 3 decades. Yeah...lets get worked up. smh

vy65
10-04-2014, 07:55 PM

Lol getting all agro, huh bro.

No, I wouldnt. I don't see what that has to do with negligence tho. Pussy.

Th'Pusher
10-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Lol getting all agro, huh bro.

No, I wouldnt. I don't see what that has to do with negligence tho. Pussy.

So if some dumb fuck dr accidentally amputated your leg as opposed to the guy in the bed next to you, you don't think you'd have a case to sue the dr for more than $750k?

vy65
10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
So if some dumb fuck dr accidentally amputated your leg as opposed to the guy in the bed next to you, you don't think you'd have a case to sue the dr for more than $750k?

Accidentally isn't the same thing as letting someone cut your leg off.

How many accidental amputations have taken place in Texas over the past 10 years? Gimme some evidence of the sorts of facts behind most med mal cases while your at it

For "usual" medical malpractice, I'd think the cap is fine for pain and suffering, but I'm open to being wrong. There are non-medical liability claims (ie assault) that cover more extreme situations and those don't have the cap.

Th'Pusher
10-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Accidentally isn't the same thing as letting someone cut your leg off.

How many accidental amputations have taken place in Texas over the past 10 years? Gimme some evidence of the sorts of facts behind most med mal cases while your at it

For "usual" medical malpractice, I'd think the cap is fine for pain and suffering, but I'm open to being wrong. There are non-medical liability claims (ie assault) that cover more extreme situations and those don't have the cap.

So you value your leg more than $750k. That's all I needed to know. Thanks.

vy65
10-04-2014, 08:19 PM
So you value your leg more than $750k. That's all I needed to know. Thanks.

Th'Pusher
10-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Shut the fuck up moron. There's no argument for establishing an arbitrary cap on malpractice. Let a judge/jury decide.

vy65
10-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Shut the fuck up moron. There's no argument for establishing an arbitrary cap on malpractice. Let a judge/jury decide.

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of tort reform either, but that's because it limits the sorts of cases I can take and make big money on.

Lol pussy

Th'Pusher
10-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Lol pussy.

vy65
10-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Lol not knowing the difference between negligence and assault

m>s
10-04-2014, 09:01 PM

lol you're so tough

on the day of the rope we have something for fake tough guys

TheSanityAnnex
10-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Pusher just being emotional due to losing manhood years ago in a hospital mishap.

Th'Pusher
10-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Lol not knowing the difference between negligence and assault
I was simply trying to establish a value you would put on a crucial limb. So in your feable mind a limb is worth no more than $750k in damages if lost due to a dr's negligence. Correct?

vy65
10-04-2014, 10:16 PM
I was simply trying to establish a value you would put on a crucial limb. So in your feable mind a limb is worth no more than $750k in damages if lost due to a dr's negligence. Correct?

No you weren't. You were being a passive aggressive pussy per the par asking vague enough questions that you hope would let you make some sort of point. Too bad you can't tell your ass from your face when it comes to how this shit plays out in the real world and you got exposed as the two bit ignorant fuck you are.

vy65
10-04-2014, 10:19 PM

I think its really really really hard to lose a limb due to negligence; that typically occurs in more severe cases, like assault.

Th'Pusher
10-04-2014, 10:41 PM
No you weren't.
Yes. I was. And just as I suspected you value your limbs more than some arbitrary cap. but what do you care, you don't support tort reform because it limits the amount of money you can make, but you do think victims of negligence can "get what they deserve".

:lol shitbag lawyer.

boutons_deux
10-04-2014, 10:52 PM
3000 killed Ebola in 3 decades.

??? 3500 dead in 2014

m>s
10-04-2014, 10:53 PM
good luck ebola! give ol the'pussy a visit!

pgardn
10-05-2014, 09:02 PM
50,000 people will die from the flu this year in the US.

Too bad the flu does not have as disgusting symptoms as it's much more contagious and a much bigger concern.
When you deed, you deed, despite the symptoms. It's a great press release for the people who can't recognize more immediate problems.

boutons_deux
10-06-2014, 05:50 AM
http://edge2.politicususa.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/austerity-kills3-485x343.jpg

Republican Sequester Prevented Health Agencies From Stopping Ebola Spread

Two weeks ago in the Senate, committees on Appropriations and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions convened a hearing (http://www.c-span.org/video/?321494-1/hearing-ebola-outbreak-west-africa) to “discuss” what kind of resources are necessary to address, and stop the virus from spreading. According to the director of the CDC National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Dr. Beth Bell, the epidemic could have been stopped if more had been done sooner to build global health security.

Bell asserted that if the Republican sequester had not cut aid budgets and global health programs indiscriminately by $411 million, and USAID by $289 million, the epidemic could been reduced to a manageable situation if not stopped altogether. Bell said, “If even modest investments had been made to build a public health infrastructure in West Africa previously, the current Ebola epidemic could have been detected earlier, and it could have been identified and contained. This Ebola epidemic shows that any vulnerability could have widespread impact if not stopped at the source.” Now it has the possibility of impacting Americans.

Despite warnings from economic experts and myriad agencies across the government, Republicans parlayed their fear-mongering about deficits, debt, and “foolish, wasteful, out-of-control, and unnecessary spending” into a devastating sequester that put a major dent in the CDC’s budget that is bearing exactly the fruit experts warned Republicans about. NIH representative Anthony Fauci reiterated Bell’s conclusion and told the committees, “honestly it’s (the sequester) been a significant impact on us. It has both in an acute and a chronic, insidious way eroded our ability to respond in the way that I and my colleagues would like to see us be able to respond to these emerging threats. And in my institute particularly, that’s responsible for responding on the dime to an emerging infectious disease threat, this is particularly damaging.”

The Republicans’ precious sequester required the NIH to cut its budget by $1.55 billion in 2013 across the board that had the desired result of affecting every area of medical research within the agency. Bell agreed with Fauci that her department is leading the U.S. intervention in West Africa, but complained the agency is being hamstrung by a $13 million sequester cut that a minuscule increase in 2014 and 2015 is not going to make up in time to effectively stop the virus’s inevitable spread.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/10/04/gop-sequester-prevented-health-agencies-stopping-ebola-spread.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

Thanks, Repugs!

btw, the Repugs didn't object (were on a LONG vacation! Repug DoNothingness trumps ALL government functioning) when Obama committed to blowing $100B more with 10K troops, 10 years in Repug-fucked-up Afghanistan.

boutons_deux
10-06-2014, 06:18 AM
channel surfing, briefly, randomly stopped at Fox in my experiment to see how long it takes them to LIE, distort,etc. Yep, took about a minute! :lol

Huckabee was trying to get his guest to say the Ebola crisis is Obama's fault. :lol

velik_m
10-06-2014, 12:26 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29514920

Nurse 'infected with Ebola' in Spain
Breaking news

A Spanish nurse who treated an Ebola victim in Madrid is suspected of being the first person to have contracted the virus outside Africa, Spanish media say.

The nurse tested positive for Ebola in initial tests and doctors are awaiting final results, according to reports.

She was a member of the team that treated Spanish priest Manuel Garcia Viejo, who died of Ebola on 25 September.

Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

velik_m
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/10/04/in-the-medical-response-to-ebola-cuba-is-punching-far-above-its-weight/

boutons_deux
10-06-2014, 01:12 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/10/04/in-the-medical-response-to-ebola-cuba-is-punching-far-above-its-weight/

:lol Go Cuba! ... what can result when the docs aren't grovelling to make $Ms and the Repugs aren't destroying govt on false pretenses (deficit! debt! inflation! out-of-control spending! :lol and ... Benghazi!)

boutons_deux
10-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Rush Limbaugh: Obama Wants Americans To Get Ebola As Payback For Slavery (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/06/3576544/rush-limbaugh-obama-isnt-closing-the-borders-because-he-thinks-america-deserves-ebola/)

Responding to a caller on his nationally syndicated radio show, Limbaugh launched into a soliloquy about so-called politically correct liberals who believe that America is responsible for the spread of Ebola in Liberia because that nation was established by freed American slaves. “And if it hadn’t been for that they probably wouldn’t have [Ebola]. So there are some people who think we kind of deserve a little bit of this,” he said, before accusing elected leaders of purposely leaving the country vulnerable to the virus.

“The danger we have now is that we elected people in positions of power and authority who think this or think like this in terms of this country being responsible, this country being to blame for things and it’s that kind of thinking that leads to opposition to shutting down airports from various countries,” Limbaugh explained, referring to the Obama administration’s handling of the crisis.

“It leads to opposition to keeping these people out of the country: ‘How dare we? We can’t turn our back on them! They exist because of us. We can’t turn them away!’”

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/06/3576544/rush-limbaugh-obama-isnt-closing-the-borders-because-he-thinks-america-deserves-ebola/

The Repugs FEAR this greasebag asshole, wouldn't DARE cross him.

boutons_deux
10-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks to the GOP, the US Is Without Its Top Doctor as Ebola Spreads

So who is the surgeon general?
The surgeon general is the United States' top doc.

He or she gives unbiased information to the American people about health crises and health risks.

It's the surgeon general's responsibility to educate the people and help us understand what we do and don't need to worry about.

The surgeon general helps cut through all of the fear-mongering and misinformation.

But the folks over at Breitbart don't think that the surgeon general is doing his/her job.

In a recent piece, Breitbart points out (http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/10/01/Surgeon-General-s-October-Message-September-is-Veggies-Month) that, "The official website of the Surgeon General of the United States has nothing to say about Ebola prevention and detection, other than an old press release about relief efforts in Liberia."

Well, there's a good reason for that.

The US doesn't have a surgeon general right now, and it's all because of Republicans' non-stop efforts to sabotage the Obama presidency.

Back in November of last year, President Obama nominated Dr. Vivek Murthy to take over the role of the nation's top doc.

Murthy is more than qualified for the position, but unfortunately, he did something that many in Washington won't: he stood up to the NRA.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/26668-thanks-to-the-gop-the-us-is-without-its-top-doctor-as-ebola-spreads

m>s
10-06-2014, 07:43 PM
stop shilling no one ever reads your links

TheSanityAnnex
10-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks to the GOP, the US Is Without Its Top Doctor as Ebola Spreads

So who is the surgeon general?
The surgeon general is the United States' top doc.

He or she gives unbiased information to the American people about health crises and health risks.

It's the surgeon general's responsibility to educate the people and help us understand what we do and don't need to worry about.

The surgeon general helps cut through all of the fear-mongering and misinformation.

But the folks over at Breitbart don't think that the surgeon general is doing his/her job.

In a recent piece, Breitbart points out (http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/10/01/Surgeon-General-s-October-Message-September-is-Veggies-Month) that, "The official website of the Surgeon General of the United States has nothing to say about Ebola prevention and detection, other than an old press release about relief efforts in Liberia."

Well, there's a good reason for that.

The US doesn't have a surgeon general right now, and it's all because of Republicans' non-stop efforts to sabotage the Obama presidency.

Back in November of last year, President Obama nominated Dr. Vivek Murthy to take over the role of the nation's top doc.

Murthy is more than qualified for the position, but unfortunately, he did something that many in Washington won't: he stood up to the NRA.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/26668-thanks-to-the-gop-the-us-is-without-its-top-doctor-as-ebola-spreads

the previous democrat surgeon general thinks he's unqualified. The dipshit also thinks gun violence stems from Saturday morning cartoons. He's nothing more than an Obama puppet.

boutons_deux
10-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Man Infected with Ebola Misinformation Through Casual Contact With Cable News

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Borowitz-Ebola-Coverage-690.jpg

An Ohio man has become infected with misinformation about the Ebola virus through casual contact with cable news, the Centers for Disease Control has confirmed.

Tracy Klugian, thirty-one, briefly came into contact with alarmist Ebola hearsay during a visit to the Akron-Canton airport, where a CNN report about Ebola was showing on one of the televisions in the airport bar. “Mr. Klugian is believed to have been exposed to cable news for no more than ten minutes, but long enough to become infected,” a spokesman for the C.D.C. said. “Within an hour, he was showing signs of believing that an Ebola outbreak in the United States was inevitable and unstoppable.”

Once Klugian’s condition was apparent, the Ohio man was rushed to a public library and given a seventh-grade biology textbook, at which point he “started to stabilize,” the spokesman said.

But others exposed to the widening epidemic of Ebola misinformation may not be so lucky. “A man in Oklahoma was exposed to Elisabeth Hasselbeck on Fox for over three minutes,” the C.D.C. spokesman said gravely. “We hope we’re not too late.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/man-infected-ebola-misinformation-casual-contact-cable-news?utm_source=tny&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=borowitz&mbid=nl_141007_Borowitz&CUST_ID=&spMailingID=7183119&spUserID=MjczNzc0Njk0NDAS1&spJobID=540743944&spReportId=NTQwNzQzOTQ0S0

boutons_deux
10-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Inside the Bizarre Right-Wing Panic over Ebola Virus Coming to the US

to flip on Fox News or turn on any conservative media at all, you’d think that ebola was some kind of plague designed by the Democratic party in order to wipe out Republicans.

Blowing the threat of ebola out of proportion and trying to link it to Obama has been a constant theme on the right in recent days.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck :lol of Fox News :lol literally demanded (http://www.alternet.org/shut%20down%20the%20flights%20and%20secure%20the%2 0borders) that we put the country on lockdown, banning all travel in and out.

In a bit of race-baiting, Andrea Tantaros of Fox (http://www.salon.com/2014/10/02/andrea_tantaros_africans_infected_with_ebola_might _seek_treatment_from_a_witch_doctor/) suggested that people who travel to the country and show symptoms of ebola will “seek treatment from a witch doctor” :lol instead of go to the hospital.

Fox host Steve Doocy :lol suggested the CDC (http://www.alternet.org/part%20of%20the%20administration) is lying about ebola because they’re “part of the administration”.

Fox also promoted a conspiracy theorist :lol who is trying to claim the CDC is lying (http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/10/02/media-promote-ebola-fear-mongering-stunt/201001) when they caution people not to panic.

Other right wing media joined in. Tammy Bruce blamed ebola (https://twitter.com/HeyTammyBruce/status/517060575906787330) on the “Obama legacy”. Laura Ingraham said Obama (http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/10/01/ingraham-calls-for-travel-ban-in-response-to-eb/200964) was prevented from doing more to stop the disease because of his “core ties to the African continent”. Rush Limbaugh even went (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/06/3576544/rush-limbaugh-obama-isnt-closing-the-borders-because-he-thinks-america-deserves-ebola/) as far as to accuse Obama of letting the disease spread because he supposes liberals believe “we kind of deserve a little bit of this”.

Even politicians are getting in on the act.

Former South Carolina :lol Republican Party executive director Todd Kincannon tweeted (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/former-sc-gop-director-execute-anyone-who-comes-into-contact-with-ebola-its-just-math/), “The protocol for a positive Ebola test should be immediate humane execution and sanitization of the whole area.” Republican presidential hopefuls stopped (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/gop-republicans-elections-2016-ebola-panic-111597.html) short of wishing death on people who have the disease, but are nonetheless crawling all over each other to make a bigger deal out of ebola than it really is.

Rand Paul, :lol Ted Cruz, :lol Paul Ryan :lol and Bobby Jindal :lol have all suggested that we ban travel in and out of the country, at least some travel, in order to keep a lid on ebola.

http://www.alternet.org/inside-bizarre-right-wing-panic-over-ebola-virus-coming-us?akid=12337.187590.W7IycH&rd=1&src=newsletter1022286&t=3

so the Fox/Repug COORDINATED hot talking point is Obama caused Ebola. :lol

Winehole23
10-08-2014, 11:00 AM
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/what-is-ebola?intcid=mod-most-popular

TDMVPDPOY
10-08-2014, 11:01 AM
dude past away apparently

lol hospital playing the blame game, how they followed everything....apparently they didnt follow that atlanta hospital, but follow the procedures in africa...FAIL

boutons_deux
10-08-2014, 11:29 AM
dude past away

well, when he's open, he's got to shoot it.

Chomag
10-08-2014, 01:19 PM
RIP

Slutter McGee
10-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Inside the Bizarre Right-Wing Panic over Ebola Virus Coming to the US

to flip on Fox News or turn on any conservative media at all, you’d think that ebola was some kind of plague designed by the Democratic party in order to wipe out Republicans.

You are right, it is stupid, just about as stupid as you blaming ebola on Republicans.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck :lol of Fox News :lol literally demanded (http://www.alternet.org/shut%20down%20the%20flights%20and%20secure%20the%2 0borders) that we put the country on lockdown, banning all travel in and out.
Citiation needed

In a bit of race-baiting, Andrea Tantaros of Fox (http://www.salon.com/2014/10/02/andrea_tantaros_africans_infected_with_ebola_might _seek_treatment_from_a_witch_doctor/) suggested that people who travel to the country and show symptoms of ebola will “seek treatment from a witch doctor” :lol instead of go to the hospital.

Actually, this has been a problem. Several doctors have admited it. I read a story about police arresting a goat because they believed a thief had shape shifted into it. Its not racist. Its simply the truth about that part of Africa

Rand Paul, :lol Ted Cruz,
:lol Paul Ryan :lol and Bobby Jindal :lol have all suggested that we ban travel in and out of the country, at least some travel, in order to keep a lid on ebola.

Yeah lets ban travel to a country being over run with a deadly virus. What an over reaction. Seems reasonable to me.

Slutter McGee

boutons_deux
10-08-2014, 01:46 PM
"blaming ebola on Republicans."

link?

NIH/CDC/USAID say the REPUG/sequester cuts have seriously hurt their responses to this crisis.

Slutter McGee
10-08-2014, 01:56 PM
"blaming ebola on Republicans."

link?

NIH/CDC/USAID say the REPUG/sequester cuts have seriously hurt their responses to this crisis.

Link? Scroll up.

Lol at the idea that the sequester is contributing to the Ebola crisis in west Africa in any meaningful way.

boutons_deux
10-08-2014, 02:27 PM
CDC Head: Budget Cuts 'Eroded Our Ability To Respond' To Ebola Threat (http://crooksandliars.com/2014/10/cdc-head-budget-cuts-eroded-our-ability)

On September 16, the Senate Committees on Appropriations and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions held a hearing to discuss the resources needed to address the outbreak. Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) asked NIH representative Anthony Fauci about sequestration's effect on the efforts.

"I have to tell you honestly it's been a significant impact on us," said Fauci. "It has both in an acute and a chronic, insidious way eroded our ability to respond in the way that I and my colleagues would like to see us be able to respond to these emerging threats. And in my institute particularly, that's responsible for responding on the dime to an emerging infectious disease threat, this is particularly damaging." Sequestration required the NIH to cut its budget by 5 percent, a total of $1.55 billion in 2013. Cuts were applied across all of its programs, affecting every area of medical research.

Dr. Beth Bell, director of the CDC's National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, testified before the committee, making a case for increased funding. Her department, which has led the US intervention in West Africa, was hit with a $13 million budget cut as a result of the cuts in 2013.

Though appropriations increased in 2014 and are projected to rise further in 2015, the agency hasn't yet made up for the deficit—according to Bell, $100 million has already gone toward stopping the Ebola epidemic, and much more is needed. The United Nations estimates it will take over $600 million just to get the crisis under control.

Bell also argued that the epidemic could have been stopped if more had been done sooner to build global health security. International aid budgets were hit hard by the sequester, reducing global health programs by $411 million and USAID by $289 million.

"If even modest investments had been made to build a public health infrastructure in West Africa previously, the current Ebola epidemic could have been detected earlier, and it could have been identified and contained," she said during her testimony. "This Ebola epidemic shows that any vulnerability could have widespread impact if not stopped at the source."

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/10/cdc-head-budget-cuts-eroded-our-ability

TeyshaBlue
10-08-2014, 02:36 PM
:lol...Her budget was cut and she's pissed. :lol
No proof. Ok, bot....back to your RSS feed for your next set of instructions.:rollin

Slutter McGee
10-08-2014, 03:57 PM
No proof. Ok, bot....back to your RSS feed for your next set of instructions.:rollin
This:lol

Dirk Oneanddoneski
10-08-2014, 04:04 PM
http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/frisco-officials-say-patient-exhibiting-ebola-like-symptoms-claims-to-have-had-contact-with-thomas-eric-duncan.html/

2nd possible case is county sheriff's deputy that went into the dead n¡gger famblys apartment

boutons_deux
10-08-2014, 04:30 PM

budget cuts have consequences, right-wingding

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/15/house-ravages-irs-guts-1-1-billion-from-tax-enforcement-budget/

RandomGuy
10-08-2014, 04:58 PM

It isn't the individual doctors that are paying the tort.

All tort reform did was to keep bad doctors in circulation. $250K is hardly what I would call disincentive, given the moral hazard of medmal insurance.

TeyshaBlue
10-08-2014, 05:08 PM
budget cuts have consequences, right-wingding

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/15/house-ravages-irs-guts-1-1-billion-from-tax-enforcement-budget/

Show where it caused this death, parrot.

boutons_deux
10-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Show where it caused this death, parrot.

gfy, straw man. nobody said that.

TeyshaBlue
10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
You continually hide behind the cowards' skirt of innuendo....nothing new.
:lol coward

boutons_deux
10-08-2014, 08:22 PM
You continually hide behind the cowards' skirt of innuendo....nothing new.
:lol coward

you hide, period, coward, unless to stalk and try pitifully to trash The Great Boutons.

TeyshaBlue
10-08-2014, 08:38 PM
:lol delusional
Now go cut and paste another shitty site. Your masters await.

pgardn
10-08-2014, 10:05 PM
I would love to see a poll of Americans asked which vaccine do they consider more important to get?

a. Flu
b. Ebola

spurraider21
10-08-2014, 10:44 PM
crofl flu shots

Winehole23
10-10-2014, 02:03 AM
might be a much bigger deal than Ebola: http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/outbreaks/EV-D68-outbreaks.html

boutons_deux
10-10-2014, 05:36 AM
Inhofe Blocks Funds for Ebola Intervention

http://www.motherjones.com/files/imagecache/top-of-content-main/inhofe2-630x354.jpg

House legislators have approved the transfer of $750 million toward the fight to contain Ebola, which continues to rapidly spread across West Africa. The figure is still below the $1 billion request from the Department of Defense—and the budget battle is not over. It is currently holed up in the Senate dependent on Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), a ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, to give his approval.

After Sen. Inhofe and Republicans on the House Armed Services Committee initially raised concerns, a limit of $50 million was put on the transfer until the DoD provided details on how the money would be spent to address the crisis.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/10/republican-senator-inhofe-blocks-vital-funding-needed-to-stop-ebola

Exactly how the Repugs, always fiscal conservatives, blocked palletized cash $Bs dumped on Iraq! :lol

boutons_deux
10-10-2014, 11:26 AM
"research into past outbreaks shows that the semen of survivors may carry the virus for weeks, or even months, after they recover."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/how-long-ebola-sperm

boutons_deux
10-10-2014, 11:27 AM
might be a much bigger deal than Ebola: http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/outbreaks/EV-D68-outbreaks.html

yep, REALLY scary stuff, death, paralysis, ugh.

pgardn
10-10-2014, 08:51 PM
50,000 Americans will die of flu this year and we wring our hands over the more preventable and less likely every year.

Amazing stupidity.

TDMVPDPOY
10-10-2014, 10:42 PM
how much of that 750m will actually go towards the cause, or is it going into the pockets of bigpharma and corrupted west african political govts?

Winehole23
10-11-2014, 03:26 AM
50,000 Americans will die of flu this year and we wring our hands over the more preventable and less likely every year.

Amazing stupidity.The media feeds the fear-fapping. Fear and insecurity are real. Just look at the war on terror, which boiled down, is a essentially a war for the enhancement of state power, the erosion of liberty, and aggrandizement of the so-called "defense" sector.

Winehole23
10-11-2014, 03:27 AM
something similar holds for the war on drugs

pgardn
10-11-2014, 06:13 AM
The media feeds the fear-fapping. Fear and insecurity are real. Just look at the war on terror, which boiled down, is a essentially a war for the enhancement of state power, the erosion of liberty, and aggrandizement of the so-called "defense" sector.

Apparently the flu does not have symptoms that are vile enough for public consumption.

We have the college age know it alls that think they wont contract it conveniently forgetting the strains that put down and killed people in their 20's. It is a gesture of civic responsibility going in and getting that shot. There are people who cannot be vaccinated that might appreciate it. Especially when one can be a carrier and only develop only very mild symptoms spreading it rather quickly.

But by God I don't have to get one and you can't make me, it's my choice... I'll exercise my rights...I'll show you...
The epidemelogists need sociologists to help them in any campaign of reason. Maybe they need to show a cut open lung of a young patient ravaged by pneumonia.

boutons_deux
10-13-2014, 11:10 AM
'We'd have a vaccine by now if it were not for budget cuts,' says head of NIH about Ebola (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/13/1336176/--We-d-have-a-vaccine-by-now-if-it-were-not-for-budget-cuts-says-head-of-NIH-about-Ebola)

http://images.dailykos.com/images/110770/large/image.jpg?1413199956

Dr. Francis Collins, the head of the National Institutes of Health, said that a decade of stagnant spending has "slowed down" research on all items, including vaccinations for infectious diseases. As a result, he said, the international community has been left playing catch-up on a potentially avoidable humanitarian catastrophe.

"NIH has been working on Ebola vaccines since 2001. It's not like we suddenly woke up and thought, 'Oh my gosh, we should have something ready here,'" Collins told The Huffington Post on Friday. "Frankly, if we had not gone through our 10-year slide in research support, we probably would have had a vaccine in time for this that would've gone through clinical trials and would have been ready."

It's not just the production of a vaccine that has been hampered by money shortfalls. Collins also said that some therapeutics to fight Ebola "were on a slower track than would've been ideal, or that would have happened if we had been on a stable research support trajectory."

"We would have been a year or two ahead of where we are, which would have made all the difference," he said.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/13/1336176/--We-d-have-a-vaccine-by-now-if-it-were-not-for-budget-cuts-says-head-of-NIH-about-Ebola?detail=email

News Flash for you rednecks: govt is important, govt austerity degrades, kills, and for-profit orgs will NOT fill in the gaps the Repugs create with their govt-hating, sociopathic austerity.

The other angle is that BigPharma has had about 40 years to develop an Ebola vaccine, but the profit wasn't there, Ebola was only "over there" and only dead blacks.

boutons_deux
10-13-2014, 01:52 PM
The right’s scary Ebola lesson: How anti-government mania is harming America

If not for serial budget cuts to the National Institutes of Health, we would probably have an Ebola vaccine and we would certainly have better treatment, NIH director Dr. Francis Collins tells the Huffington Post’s Sam Stein (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/12/ebola-vaccine_n_5974148.html). This comes on the heels of reporting thatthe Centers for Disease Control’s prevention budget has been cut by half since 2006 (http://www.vox.com/2014/10/12/6964671/ebola-budget-cuts-emergency-preparedness), and new revelations about how botched protocols at the Dallas hospital that turned away Thomas Eric Duncan and then failed to treat him effectively also led to the infection of one of Duncan’s caregivers.

Yet most of the media coverage of the politics of Ebola to date has centered on whether President Obama has adequately and/or honestly dealt with the disease. “I remain concerned that we don’t see sufficient seriousness on the part of the federal government about protecting the American public,” Texas Sen. Ted Cruz told reporters. Cruz is probably the wrong guy to talk about seriousness: his government shutdown forced the NIH to delay clinical trials (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266913.php)and made the CDC cut back on disease outbreak detection programs this time last year.

whether Texas Gov. Rick Perry shared some responsibility for the nation’s Ebola crisis with President Obama, since the outbreak occurred in his state on his watch. Now that a second person has been infected there, I think the question is even more relevant.

The GOP approach to public health was crystallized at the 2012 debate (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/audience-tea-party-debate-cheers-leaving-uninsured-die-163216817.html) where Rep. Ron Paul – another Texas politician — said it wasn’t the government’s responsibility to take care of a hypothetical young man who showed up in the emergency room very sick after he decided not to buy insurance. “That’s what freedom is all about, taking your own risks,” Paul said, deriding “this whole idea that you have to prepare to take care of everybody …”

“Are you saying that society should just let him die?” moderator Wolf Blitzer asked. And the crowd roared “Yeah!”

But now we know what happens when hospitals fail to adequately care for uninsured people who turn up in the ER: They can die, which is awful, but they may also spread disease and death to many other people. It’s pragmatism, not socialism, that commits governments to a public health agenda.

That agenda, however, has been disowned by the modern GOP. Sarah Kliff got lots of attention for her Vox piece (http://www.vox.com/2014/10/12/6964671/ebola-budget-cuts-emergency-preparedness) starkly depicting how the Centers for Disease Control’s prevention budget has been cut by more than half since 2006. The chart she used actually came from a piece in Scientific American last week (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/molecules-to-medicine/2014/10/06/ebola-in-the-u-s-politics-and-public-health-dont-mix/), which I hadn’t seen before. It’s must-reading: it dispassionately explained the way we’ve underfunded and degraded our public health infrastructure. And again, it made me think about the Republican policies that have hampered our ability to fight this crisis.

Isn’t there a fair way to say that cutting 45,700 public health workers at the state and local level, largely under GOP governors, was irresponsible?

As was slashing the CDC’s prevention budget by half since 2006, or cutting the Affordable Care Act’s prevention budget by a billion?

It seems relevant to me that Texas is 33rd in public health funding. It’s clear now that not just the hospital but state and local authorities responded inadequately to Duncan’s illness.

“So the richest country on earth has no team to contain the first appearance of one of the most deadly viruses we’ve ever known.”

The GOP’s anti-government crusade has hampered our ability to face the Ebola challenge. In an election year, there’s nothing wrong with Democrats saying that clearly. Campaigns should be cutting ads right now spotlighting the way Republican budget cuts have devastated the public health infrastructure we need to fight diseases like Ebola.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/13/the_rights_huge_ebola_lesson_how_anti_government_m ania_is_harming_america/

Thanks, Repugs, and all you redneck govt-hatin' rednecks, y'all fuck shit up, and then blame the Dems.

boutons_deux
10-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Repugs will pass this MIC corporate welfare

General says US Army faces huge equipment, training risks due to budget cuts

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/general-says-us-army-faces-huge-equipment-training-risks-due-to-budget-cuts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

... and the Repugs will be paid WELL for passing it.

boutons_deux
10-13-2014, 02:43 PM
‘Ebola Zombies’ Panic Spreading Like Wildfire on the Internet

http://www.alternet.org/files/styles/story_image/public/story_images/third-ebola-victim-africa_0.jpg

News of an imminent zombie invasion in Liberia is perhaps the most audacious fake news story on the Internet right now, creating panic among thousands of gullible readers who are taking it seriously on social media, repeating the rumor among friends, and getting a bit hysterical about the spread of ebola in Dallas, TX.

The right-wing mock news site, Big American News, broke the fake story (http://bigamericannews.com/2014/09/30/africa-confirms-3rd-ebola-victim-rises-from-the-dead-releases-picture-of-first-ebola-zombie-captured/) to its readers on September 30. Since then, the link to the article has been tweeted nearly 1,000 times and shared by more than 500,000 Facebook users.

The article, “Africa Confirms 3rd Ebola Victim Rises From the Dead, Releases Picture of First ‘Ebola Zombie’ Captured” is only the latest in a series of conspiracy theories on the ebola crisis spreading on the Internet.

Over the past several months, sites such as Russia Today (RT.com) and Gateway Pundit have claimed that the current ebola outbreak is an American bioweapon.

Not to be outdone, Big American News has been publishing a series of articles not only backing this claim, but stating that the U.S. modified and weaponized ebola so that its victims, after succumbing to the virus, would rise from the dead.

http://www.alternet.org/media/ebola-zombies-panic-spreading?akid=12352.187590.RJn4JB&rd=1&src=newsletter1022995&t=15

:lol you rednecks are bunch of stupid, ignorant fucks.

TheSanityAnnex
10-14-2014, 10:05 AM
"All right, I have to vent because the CDC are not being very proactive. My final recommendation is at the end.
First, don't even get me started on the fact that the nurse wasn't even in the 48 people reported at highest risk. She was not formally followed and self reported her fever. The head of the CDC and Health and Human Services needs to be fired for this lapse of judgement alone! Maybe not now so as to not disrupt the response to Ebola in the US but at the end.

Facts:
1. Ebola is not HIV. It is one of the most lethal viruses known to infect man
2. A person is most contagious near the end of life. So most contagious when in the hospital.
3. Regional medical centers and medical personnel, including administrators, are not prepared.

I find it curious when I was at USAMRIID I had to be qualified for Biosafety Level (BSL) 4 to work with or handle lab samples (not animals we are talking about test tubes) of EBOLA, Marburg and other similar viruses. That training was about 6 months so never had time in a 2 year fellowship. Those doctors wore positive pressure suits with chlorine decontamination when exiting in a special room & someone watched their every move.
Now we are supposed to double glove, wear goggles, facemask and a gown. No boot covers. No special suits. Not realistic. Asbestos workers get more protection.
Anyways, ridiculous. If someone has a confirmed case, they should immediately be sent to about 10 or 50 highly qualified referral centers where people have BSL-4 training. Example: everyone in Maryland/Virginia goes to either Johns Hopkins, NIH or USAMRIID. South Carolina sends to Emory or CDC in Atlanta.

Don't follow idiot experts that recommend anything else."

boutons_deux
10-14-2014, 10:32 AM
U.S. Readies for Ebola With Fewer Public Health Staff

State and local health departments employ 19 percent fewer people today than they did in 2008, according to estimates (http://www.astho.org/budget-cuts-Sept-2014/) by the Association of State & Territorial Health Officials. That’s a decline of 51,000 jobs.

The threat of Ebola makes the problem of a more thinly staffed public health system feel more urgent. But the consequences affect Americans’ health every day outside of the spotlight. Besides prepping for rare infectious diseases, health departments routinely combat the spread of more common illnesses, from seasonal flu, to HIV, to lifestyle-influenced conditions such as diabetes or obesity.

There’s no federal standard for what a public health officer should do, according to an April report (http://healthyamericans.org/assets/files/TFAH2013InvstgAmrcsHlth05%20FINAL.pdf) by the Trust for America’s Health.

“Federal public health programs as currently structured, do not actively promote a set of baseline, consistent capabilities that every community across the country should meet,”

http://origin-www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-14/ebola-a-weakened-u-dot-s-dot-public-health-system-readies-for-more-cases#r=rss

Thanks for The Great Banksters Depression, banksters.

Thanks VRWC/1%ers/Repugs/deficit-hawks for govt austerity while in a long-lasting depression.

You can be damn sure if govts have been cutting back on public health/safety jobs, they have been cutting back on public health training.

btw, if the Feds tried to establish FEDERAL standards for public/safety health employees, the Repugs would block it, and Texas would continue to be well down the spending list on public health spending/capita.

but but but ... it's all Obama's fault.

If the states had corrupt, inefficient DoD's $700B to play with EVERY YEAR, maybe the states could equal "Biosafety Level (BSL) 4".

DarrinS
10-14-2014, 11:15 AM

Amazing stupidity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lawrence-solomon/death-by-influenza_b_4661442.html

Influenza is nothing close to Ebola. Ebola death rate currently at 70%, according to WHO.

DarrinS
10-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Oh, and Republicans appropriated more CDC funding than Obama requested.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/01/17/cdc-wins-in-budget-deal.html?page=all

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will see an 8.2 percent budget increase for fiscal 2014, thanks to a $1.1 trillion spending bill announced by Congress Jan. 13.

This influx of cash will raise the CDC budget to $6.9 billion, which is $567 million more than it received in 2013. This is more than the agency anticipated, because the president's fiscal year 2014 budget request for it was just $6.6 billion -- a decrease of $270 million from fiscal 2012.

boutons_deux
10-14-2014, 01:05 PM
http://www.faseb.org/portals/2/images/opa/5.16.13%20NIH%20funding%20chart.png

http://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/NIHfunding-fig1.png

Repug austerity hits NIH funding after 2010 elections while GDP growth increases and the 1% reap all the growth in GDP.

DarrinS
10-14-2014, 01:34 PM
GOP gave more money to CDC than Obama budget requested.

Regardless,

The CDC listed some of its top spending priorities in its fiscal 2014 budget request. It wants to boost spending for vaccines for children by $287 million and increase funds by $53 million for its "World Trade Center Health Program." It requested a $40 million increase for AMD, $22 million more for Health Statistics, $20 million more for its National Violent Death Reporting System, almost $17 million more for Food Safety and an additional $15 million for polio eradication.

DarrinS
10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
http://thefederalist.com/2014/10/14/president-obama-already-has-an-ebola-czar-where-is-she/

cantthinkofanything
10-14-2014, 03:13 PM

Amazing stupidity.

Mortality rate of flu is like .5% or something. If you take out the elderly and sick, it's probably less than 1/4 of that. Ebola is probably somewhere between 50-70% for healthy people.

CosmicCowboy
10-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Mortality rate of flu is like .5% or something. If you take out the elderly and sick, it's probably less than 1/4 of that. Ebola is probably somewhere between 50-70% for healthy people.

flu is airborne dummy. Ebola isn't. Might as well compare lightning strikes or deaths from bee stings.

pgardn
10-14-2014, 06:27 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lawrence-solomon/death-by-influenza_b_4661442.html

Influenza is nothing close to Ebola. Ebola death rate currently at 70%, according to WHO.

Where do you live?
My stats are for the US.

Wake me when it's over in the US.
The reason this is so publicized is that it is taking off in countries that don't have the money to spend on it to prevent the spread. And most importantly, it's the symptoms. If this virus just caused death like a flu virus attack few would care. The flu is much more contagious, much more, but USUALLY much less lethal. But Flu kills far more people.

And hospitals... like there are not already the absolute worse bacteria already that are immune to ALL antibiotics thriving in them? My wife works in a lab. She has had two coworkers die from Hep C caught from patients. None from anything else. What do you think she worries about? Hospitals are places sick people go carrying God knows what. A retired coworker of hers is headed to Sierra Leone as I type. To help. A whole bunch of American health care workers have volunteered. They are not asking to die, they know how not to get infected, and they want to help.

Again, the virus is a concern, but on a real level here? Not even close. And if you live elsewhere, worry about malaria. I am again astounded by how much people love to panic. And how the press feeds on it.

DarrinS
10-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Where do you live?
My stats are for the US.

Wake me when it's over in the US.
The reason this is so publicized is that it is taking off in countries that don't have the money to spend on it to prevent the spread. And most importantly, it's the symptoms. If this virus just caused death like a flu virus attack few would care. The flu is much more contagious, much more, but USUALLY much less lethal. But Flu kills far more people.

And hospitals... like there are not already the absolute worse bacteria already that are immune to ALL antibiotics thriving in them? My wife works in a lab. She has had two coworkers die from Hep C caught from patients. None from anything else. What do you think she worries about? Hospitals are places sick people go carrying God knows what. A retired coworker of hers is headed to Sierra Leone as I type. To help. A whole bunch of American health care workers have volunteered. They are not asking to die, they know how not to get infected, and they want to help.

Again, the virus is a concern, but on a real level here? Not even close. And if you live elsewhere, worry about malaria. I am again astounded by how much people love to panic. And how the press feeds on it.

Health care workers treating someone with the flu don't need biohazard suits and bleach showers.

Ebola is pretty serious

DarrinS
10-14-2014, 07:31 PM
If you get the flu, the CDC won't swoop in and quarantine your family.

pgardn
10-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Health care workers treating someone with the flu don't need biohazard suits and bleach showers.

Ebola is pretty serious

No one said it was not serious.

But when you get down to numbers in the US what's more likely to kill you?

The flu.

So you are vaccinated with the quadravalent this year?

pgardn
10-14-2014, 09:02 PM
If you get the flu, the CDC won't swoop in and quarantine your family.

Ebola is a problem for the CDC mainly because of hysteria. And possible f-ups. It's very containable with our know how and resources. So you are worried about being quarantined? Same thing will happen if your family comes down with any number of other diseases.

People not flying to Dallas because they are petrified... Pretty damn silly.
I thought Republicans were supposed to be pragmatic? What happened?

Just talked to a State Epidmelogist. She might have to go to Dallas. In the middle of making sure the flu vaccines orders are all filled and who needs more. What will she be doing? Answering phone calls and taken numbers about how to calm people down. So now we have Epidemelogists working on Public relation statistics.

What a wonderful use of state resources, fielding phone calls from lunatics sent into orbit by the press.

boutons_deux
10-15-2014, 04:57 AM
"People not flying to Dallas because they are petrified..."

the owners of the apartment complexes are probably "concerned"

Georgia county threatened to cut off hospital sewer lines over Ebola

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/georgia-county-threatened-to-cut-off-hospital-sewer-lines-over-ebola-doctor-says/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

boutons_deux
10-15-2014, 05:14 AM
As usual, as always reliable, you Repugs, Fox have nothing but fear, anger, xenophobia, etc

Scott Brown: Ebola-Infected Terrorists Can Easily Enter The U.S. Through The Mexican Border (http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/10/14/3579690/scott-brown-immigration-2/)

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/10/14/3579690/scott-brown-immigration-2/

Now you know his government policies, vote for Scott Brown :lol

pgardn
10-15-2014, 07:42 AM

So multiply 0.005 by a really big number.
And then multiply 0.6 by a really small number.

Can you think to do that?

Read about the flu viruses that crop up now and again and kill perfectly healthy 20 year old males. This is what the CDC really worries about. This and nosocomial outbreaks. But they won't tell you that right now. They are duty bound to react to the press fapping.

SupremeGuy
10-15-2014, 07:46 AM
The media doesn't want to press the Ebola issue because it will just highlight more of Hussein Obama's failings, tbh.

boutons_deux
10-15-2014, 08:14 AM
RickyBobby's TX sucks, can't even handle a virus at a 5-star, gold-plated hospital. Everything's bigger in Texas, above all, the bullshit.

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Everything is political with Boobear.

I'm surprised you haven't claimed (yet) that it must be Bush's fault for not eradicating Ebola when he was President.

boutons_deux
10-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Everything is political with Boobear.

I'm surprised you haven't claimed (yet) that it must be Bush's fault for not eradicating Ebola when he was President.

I'm just throwing back at you right-wingers the exactly the kind of bullshit Repugs/Fox throw at Obama for being responsible for Ebola, and for (the Repugs broken Middle East cr..) ISIS.

DarrinS
10-15-2014, 09:28 AM
RickyBobby's TX sucks, can't even handle a virus at a 5-star, gold-plated hospital. Everything's bigger in Texas, above all, the bullshit.

Translation: Ebola...because Republicans

boutons_deux
10-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Translation: Ebola...because Republicans

I'm just throwing back at you right-wingers the exactly the kind of bullshit Repugs/Fox throw at Obama for being responsible for Ebola, and for (the Repugs broken Middle East cr..) ISIS.

Ebola in TX happened on RickyBobby's watch, therefore he caused Ebola (paraphrased from the Repug slander of Obola)

baseline bum
10-15-2014, 10:04 AM

Read about the flu viruses that crop up now and again and kill perfectly healthy 20 year old males. This is what the CDC really worries about. This and nosocomial outbreaks. But they won't tell you that right now. They are duty bound to react to the press fapping.

I think it's worthy of the press it's receiving for what it's showing about that hospital and its disregard for their staff. I hope the media continues slamming the hell out of that piece of shit hospital. You pay through the nose at American hospitals and yet they're still cutting corners by using fucking duct tape as their go to for protecting their nurses?

boutons_deux
10-15-2014, 10:24 AM
College in Texas, which has Ebola, rejects applicant from Nigeria, which does not

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/college-in-texas-which-has-ebola-rejects-applicant-from-nigeria-which-does-not/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Great. Victim #3 just flew from Cleveland to Dallas on a plane with 152 people hours before she was admitted.

cantthinkofanything
10-15-2014, 11:37 AM

LOL. you got me nigga.

DarrinS
10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Passenger at Dulles airport

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-15-at-11.36.53-AM.png

SnakeBoy
10-15-2014, 01:52 PM
I think it's worthy of the press it's receiving for what it's showing about that hospital and its disregard for their staff. I hope the media continues slamming the hell out of that piece of shit hospital. You pay through the nose at American hospitals and yet they're still cutting corners by using fucking duct tape as their go to for protecting their nurses?

How do you feel about the hospitals in Spain?

baseline bum
10-15-2014, 01:53 PM
How do you feel about the hospitals in Spain?

They can let all the Spanish assholes die for all I care tbh

SnakeBoy
10-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Great. Victim #3 just flew from Cleveland to Dallas on a plane with 152 people hours before she was admitted.

Some reports now that she was symptomatic BEFORE leaving Cleveland :(

SnakeBoy
10-15-2014, 02:15 PM
They can let all the Spanish assholes die for all I care tbh

Nice. Pretty silly to get pissed at healthcare workers for Ebola tbh.

SnakeBoy
10-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Yep she had a fever before getting on the plane

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-health-ebola-usa-idUKKCN0I40UE20141015

vy65
10-15-2014, 02:25 PM
http://img.theepochtimes.com/n3/eet-content/uploads/2014/10/15/amber-vinson-676x450.jpg

The Gemini Method
10-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Time to bust out the bubble, bruh.

SnakeBoy
10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
http://img.theepochtimes.com/n3/eet-content/uploads/2014/10/15/amber-vinson-676x450.jpg

That's racist.

pgardn
10-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Yeah.

Its gonna make us better prepared in the long run.
Hospitals do an incredibly bad job of protecting employees.

pgardn
10-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Passenger at Dulles airport

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-15-at-11.36.53-AM.png

Dies after inhaling own CO2...

Other than that, Holy Shit...

boutons_deux
10-15-2014, 07:35 PM

says she called CDC more than once, worried about her fever, but CDC said go ahead and fly.

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2014, 08:41 PM
CDC allowed second Ebola nurse on plane with low-grade fever

http://wfaa.mlnwap.com/article.html#!/11687/67794c4dd7f5e4fa8ff9db27cf7592e2

pgardn
10-15-2014, 10:17 PM
CDC allowed second Ebola nurse on plane with low-grade fever

http://wfaa.mlnwap.com/article.html#!/11687/67794c4dd7f5e4fa8ff9db27cf7592e2

So we are carrying out unauthorized experiments.
Thats a big F up.

ElNono
10-15-2014, 10:19 PM
I was at DFW today, in transit to Jersey.... can confirm everything is ok... cough cough

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2014, 11:16 PM
purge the population nothing to see here....

boutons_deux
10-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Some Fear Ebola Outbreak Could Make Nation Turn to Science

There is a deep-seated fear among some Americans that an Ebola outbreak could make the country turn to science.

In interviews conducted across the nation, leading anti-science activists expressed their concern that the American people, wracked with anxiety over the possible spread of the virus, might desperately look to science to save the day.

“It’s a very human reaction,” said Harland Dorrinson, a prominent anti-science activist from Springfield, Missouri. “If you put them under enough stress, perfectly rational people will panic and start believing in science.”

Additionally, he worries about a “slippery slope” situation, “in which a belief in science leads to a belief in math, which in turn fosters a dangerous dependence on facts.”

At the end of the day, though, Dorrinson hopes that such a doomsday scenario will not come to pass. “Time and time again through history, Americans have been exposed to science and refused to accept it,” he said. “I pray that this time will be no different.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/fear-ebola-outbreak-make-nation-turn-science?utm_source=tny&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=borowitz&mbid=nl_141016_Borowitz&CUST_ID=&spMailingID=7208458&spUserID=MjczNzc0Njk0NDAS1&spJobID=541761736&spReportId=NTQxNzYxNzM2S0

boutons_deux
10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Louie Gohmert: Nurses infected with Ebola are part of the ‘Democrats’ war on women’
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/wnd_gohmert_churchstate_140401c-800x430.jpg

“You know, it’s a shame that the CDC head, Frieden, is apparently the commander of the Democrats’ new war on women nurses,” Gohmert opined. “Because, goodnight, they set them up, and then they throw them under the bus.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/louie-gohmert-nurses-infected-with-ebola-are-part-of-the-democrats-war-on-women/

Gohmert and Beck, the right-wing's leading intellectuals! :lol

SnakeBoy
10-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Some Fear Ebola Outbreak Could Make Nation Turn to Science

There is a deep-seated fear among some Americans that an Ebola outbreak could make the country turn to science.

In interviews conducted across the nation, leading anti-science activists expressed their concern that the American people, wracked with anxiety over the possible spread of the virus, might desperately look to science to save the day.

“It’s a very human reaction,” said Harland Dorrinson, a prominent anti-science activist from Springfield, Missouri. “If you put them under enough stress, perfectly rational people will panic and start believing in science.”

Additionally, he worries about a “slippery slope” situation, “in which a belief in science leads to a belief in math, which in turn fosters a dangerous dependence on facts.”

At the end of the day, though, Dorrinson hopes that such a doomsday scenario will not come to pass. “Time and time again through history, Americans have been exposed to science and refused to accept it,” he said. “I pray that this time will be no different.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/fear-ebola-outbreak-make-nation-turn-science?utm_source=tny&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=borowitz&mbid=nl_141016_Borowitz&CUST_ID=&spMailingID=7208458&spUserID=MjczNzc0Njk0NDAS1&spJobID=541761736&spReportId=NTQxNzYxNzM2S0

Time and time again boo is exposed to satire and still doesn't understand it.

DarrinS
10-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Obola appoints Ebola czar (naturally)

http://thefederalist.com/2014/10/17/new-ebola-czar-ron-klain-is-a-long-time-lobbyist-democratic-operative/

Awesome choice.

Ron Klain has a lot of experience. Unfortunately, absolutely none of it is related to public health, epidemiology, or cross-agency administration.

boutons_deux
10-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Time and time again boo is exposed to satire and still doesn't understand it.

:lol you read all the way through before you realized it was Borowitz joke :lol

ChumpDumper
10-17-2014, 12:07 PM

http://thefederalist.com/2014/10/17/new-ebola-czar-ron-klain-is-a-long-time-lobbyist-democratic-operative/

Awesome choice.I'd prefer to have a surgeon general.

Why don't we have on now, Darrin?

The Reckoning
10-17-2014, 12:17 PM
wow what a shit fucking decision by Obama.

crises? let's bring in our best lawyer to handle it!

SnakeBoy
10-17-2014, 05:31 PM
wow what a shit fucking decision by Obama.

crises? let's bring in our best lawyer to handle it!

He's also an accomplished spin doctor.

Dirk Oneanddoneski
10-17-2014, 07:52 PM
He's also an accomplished spin doctor.

and a rat faced kike

Klain was born on August 8, 1961 in Indianapolis, Indiana to Jewish parents.

Th'Pusher
10-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Awesome choice.
:lol DarrinS found a new favorite website.

boutons_deux
10-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Why Bush Rejected A Travel Ban In Avian Flu Pandemic

the Bush administration confronted a similar quandary when avian flu threatened to become a deadly pandemic. After examining the arguments for and against restrictions on travel from affected countries, then-Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt — and presumably the president himself — became convinced that any travel ban would quickly become too difficult to enforce. As Leavitt explains:

It’s such an appealing idea, it sounds so easy. But it’s when you get to the second layer of activity and then the third and fourth it gets complicated. For example, imagine a Liberian citizen goes to Spain and in Spain he manifests symptoms and people in Spain get it. Do you now expand the travel ban to include Spain? Somebody from Spain goes to the U.K. and now it’s there, so do you include the U.K.? Now somebody who gets it there turns out to be a U.S. citizen and wants to come home to get treated. Do you let the citizen in?

Despite potentially high mortality rates (and much easier transmission than Ebola), Bush officials ultimately determined that any such rules would prove ineffective as well as unenforceable. Is it necessary to note that back then no Republican uttered a whisper of criticism against Bush or Leavitt — while they now vilify the president and CDC chief Dr. Tom Frieden (http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/220997-gop-senate-hopefuls-embrace-ebola-travel-ban)?

http://www.nationalmemo.com/bush-rejected-travel-ban-avian-flu-pandemic/

:lol Repugs exposed AGAIN as blatantly hypocritical.

What's OK for them is NOT OK for the Dems.

iow, THEY'RE ASSHOLES :lol

boutons_deux
10-19-2014, 06:53 PM
the previous democrat surgeon general thinks he's unqualified. The dipshit also thinks gun violence stems from Saturday morning cartoons. He's nothing more than an Obama puppet.

:lol do you really think the govt-hating/govt-enfeebling Repugs give shit about competency in govt? :lol

"You're doin a heckuva (FEMA) job, Brownie" :lol

"Murthy’s nomination has been held up by Republicans and a few red state Democrats due to this surprisingly controversial stance: He believes that guns can impact your health.

Well, to be fair, this conservative coalition is not troubled by his stance, so much as they are fearful of the NRA, which decided to try to scuttle Murthy’s confirmation.

The NRA wrote a strongly worded letter, Rand Paul put a hold on the nomination, and Red State Democrats begged Harry Reid to not force them to vote.

It’s funny that the strongly worded letters of ordinary citizens don’t seem to have quite the same effect."

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/10/17/blame-harry-rand-paul-put-hold-surgeon-general-nomination.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

m>s
10-19-2014, 10:22 PM
:lol do you really think the govt-hating/govt-enfeebling Repugs giva shit about competency? :lol

"You're doin a heckuva (FEMA) job, Brownie" :lol

"Murthy’s nomination has been held up by Republicans and a few red state Democrats due to this surprisingly controversial stance: He believes that guns can impact your health.

Well, to be fair, this conservative coalition is not troubled by his stance, so much as they are fearful of the NRA, which decided to try to scuttle Murthy’s confirmation.

The NRA wrote a strongly worded letter, Rand Paul put a hold on the nomination, and Red State Democrats begged Harry Reid to not force them to vote.

It’s funny that the strongly worded letters of ordinary citizens don’t seem to have quite the same effect."

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/10/17/blame-harry-rand-paul-put-hold-surgeon-general-nomination.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

come and take it :makemyday

Winehole23
10-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Earlier today, the World Health Organization announced that no new case of Ebola has emerged in Nigeria in 42 days. That's the standard length of time required for declaring the end to an outbreak, since it's twice the maximum 21-day incubation period for the virus. It's an incredible achievement — one that should assuage fears and show that Ebola can be contained. Moreover, it's proof that developing nations, with sufficient support from the international community, are fully capable of dealing with the epidemic.http://io9.com/how-nigeria-stopped-ebola-dead-in-its-tracks-1648390740

Winehole23
10-20-2014, 01:48 PM
so, what's our excuse?

SnakeBoy
10-20-2014, 02:33 PM
http://io9.com/how-nigeria-stopped-ebola-dead-in-its-tracks-1648390740

Good day Winehole23,

With warm heart I offer my friendship, and my greetings,and I hope this letter meets you in good time.

It will be surprising for you to receive this proposal from me since you do not know me personally.

However, I am sincerely seeking your confidence in this transaction,which I, propose with my free mind and as a person of integrity.

A) It is practically impossible for me to carry out this business alone.

B) You live in a foreign land far away from mine.

This should normally not be a requirement, but when you understand the transaction then you will understand why it is important that you live far away from me.

C) The amount of money involved in this transaction is Fifteen Million one hundred thousand united states dollars (US$15,100,000.00) which is too much for a man of modest means like myself to handle in my country.

I believe from my few points above, you can begin to get an idea why I need your participation.I am writing you in respect of a foreign customer who has a Domicillary account in my bank.

His name was Engineer Frank oliver. He was among those who died in a plane crash, Since the demise of this our customer, Engineer Frank oliver,who was an oil merchant and import/exporter, I have kept a close watch of the deposit records and accounts and since then nobody has come to claim the money in this a/c as next of kin to the late Engineer.

He had only Fifteen Million one hundred thousand united states dollars(US$15,100,000.00) in his account and the account is coded.

It is only an insider that could produce the code of the deposit particulars.

As it stands now, there is nobody in that position to produce the needed information other than my very self considering my position in the bank.

Based on the reason that nobody has come forward to claim the deposit as next of kin,I hereby ask for you to send an application to the bank as he next of kin to the deceased and get this fund transfered into your foreign bank a/c for mutual sharing between myself and you,%5 for charity, 5% for expences we will incure just in case, 35% for you and 55% for me.

All I need is for you to follow my instructions closely because I am experienced in inheritance matters here and i am on ground here to advice you on every step until you receive the money.

What is required of you is to send an application to the bank as next of kin to the late Engineer and I promise you that everything will go smoothly.

I also indulge you not to make undo use of the information given to you, I need also to trust that you will not tell people or your bank about this business.

You will collect the money first, then I get my share, then you can tell anybody what you chose thereafter.I shall need your help to invest in your country therefore, any experience you have in this area will be beneficial.

Please feel free to call me on my direct telephone number for any question or further explanations if required and upon the receipt of your favourable responses I shall send to you a text of application which you shall send to the Bank putting claim over the deceased fund.

Winehole23
10-20-2014, 02:38 PM
:lol

Bender
10-20-2014, 06:41 PM
so Nigeria did not close its borders or halt travel during this?

Winehole23
10-21-2014, 12:50 AM
nope

Winehole23
10-21-2014, 12:51 AM
so much for the common sense of US politicians

boutons_deux
10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
so Nigeria did not close its borders or halt travel during this?

How Nigeria successfully curbed its Ebola outbreak

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/21/how_nigeria_successfully_curbed_its_ebola_outbreak _partner/

And Paul pere disagrees with Paul fils :lol

DarrinS
10-21-2014, 05:21 PM
I'd prefer to have a surgeon general.

Why don't we have on now, Darrin?

Yes, why don't we have one now, Chump? Dems have enough votes to confirm Murthy all by themselves -- even if EVERY Republican votes against.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes, why don't we have one now, Chump? Dems have enough votes to confirm Murthy all by themselves -- even if EVERY Republican votes against.So you don't know why.

lol try Google

DarrinS
10-21-2014, 05:30 PM
So you don't know why.

lol try Google

You do the same. While you're at it, look into the actual nominee.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2014, 05:31 PM
You do the same. While you're at it, look into the actual nominee.Let me know what you find.

DarrinS
10-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Let me know what you find.

You do the same.

pgardn
10-21-2014, 08:45 PM
so, what's our excuse?

Our excuse for panic?

We have done a fairly poor job, and.... so how many deaths from people contracting overblownola here?

boutons_deux
10-22-2014, 04:04 PM
FLASHBACK: When Conservative Media Didn't Care Bush's Bird Flu Czar Had No Medical Experience

apparently, when the president was George Bush, the health fear was the bird flu virus (http://www.foxnews.com/story/2005/11/02/bush-unveils-71-billion-bird-flu-strategy/), and Bush's czar had no medical background. Note that prior to becoming the nation's bird flu czar, Bush's point-person served as general counsel for Amtrak.

In 2004, Bush's bird flu czar (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14751.html) was Stewart Simonson. He worked as an assistant secretary of health and human services for public health emergency preparedness. And although he had no medical experience or expertise in public health, he did enjoy a noted career as a Republican political insider.

As the late Molly Ivins wrote (http://www.creators.com/opinion/molly-ivins/molly-ivins-november-17.html) in 2005:

Simonson's [political] rabbi is former Gov. Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin, who hired him out of law school, took him to Washington as deputy general counsel at Health and Human Services and then got him the job as general counsel of Amtrak.

CNN reported (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0510/10/pzn.01.html) that year, "HHS officials admit Simonson has no undergraduate or advanced degree in public health."

When muted questions were raised about the selection, Health and Human Services secretary Thompson defended Simonson, much as the way the White House defends (http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2014-10-17/ron-klain-to-be-named-us-ebola-czar-report) Klain, by stressing the czar's experience within government, his preparedness, and his ability to get things done. During his tenure, there was no indication that Simonson's lack of medical training hindered his ability to serve as Bush's bird flu czar.

So what was the Fox response when a point-person with no medical experience was tapped by the Bush White House to coordinate the government's dealing with a possible health crisis? Fox's response was radio silence. A search of Fox archives via Nexis produces no criticism of Simonson.

Granted, Simonson's appointment did not generate the amount of coverage that the recent Klain news has, and the bird flu never claimed a life in the United Sates.

But if Fox News' dire demands that Obama's Ebola czar today must, must, must have a medical background, it stands to reason the same standard would have applied to Bush's pick of Simonson.

It did not.

And it wasn't just Fox News. From what I can see, there was very little coverage of Simonson's appointment within the conservative press, and virtually no objections to the fact he had no public health training.

This, of course, is the same conservative media today that roundly and relentlessly criticizes (http://www.nationalreview.com/article/390677/ron-klain-and-solyndra-andrew-c-mccarthy) the Klain appointment.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/10/20/flashback-when-conservative-media-didnt-care-bu/201229

:lol

Agloco
10-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Has anyone else caught an Ebola?

boutons_deux
10-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Has anyone else caught an Ebola?

a case in Mali

boutons_deux
10-23-2014, 07:18 PM
a Docteur Sans Frontieres flown from Guinea to NYC for observation.

Agloco
10-23-2014, 07:29 PM
a case in Mali

a Docteur Sans Frontieres flown from Guinea to NYC for observation.

Sorry B, I meant domestic.

boutons_deux
10-23-2014, 08:08 PM
the Doc in NYC/Bellevue is a BIG DEAL.

Slutter McGee
10-23-2014, 08:44 PM

You want to fuck him dont ya? Its ok to admit it.

Slutter McGee

ChumpDumper
10-23-2014, 09:10 PM
the Doc in NYC/Bellevue is a BIG DEAL.Less so than the Dallas case tbh.

SnakeBoy
10-24-2014, 01:18 AM
Less so than the Dallas case tbh.

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2014, 01:46 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.This doctor knew he might have it and took precautions accordingly. All signs indicate his care is much better than the clusterfuck in Texas, so I'm much less worried.

SnakeBoy
10-24-2014, 02:09 AM
This doctor knew he might have it and took precautions accordingly. All signs indicate his care is much better than the clusterfuck in Texas, so I'm much less worried.

I wasn't worried about the Dallas case. It wasn't that much of a clusterfuck. Yes the hospital missed the initial diagnosis but nothing came of that. The rest was due to shitty CDC protocols. Hopefully the CDC has gotten their shit together. Time will tell.

What this case immediately reveals is just like with the second nurse the CDC still has shitty isolation protocols for healthcare workers who have had direct contact with ebola patients. Seems to me the CDC is relying a lot on luck when recommending these people just monitor their temp while continuing on with their normal activities considering ebola can spread in the exact same manner as influenza, albeit less efficiently.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2014, 02:10 AM
I wasn't worried about the Dallas case. It wasn't that much of a clusterfuck. Yes the hospital missed the initial diagnosis but nothing came of that.Dude died.

lol "nothing"

SnakeBoy
10-24-2014, 02:15 AM
Dude died.

lol "nothing"

:cry

boutons_deux
10-24-2014, 06:12 AM
This doctor knew he might have it and took precautions accordingly. All signs indicate his care is much better than the clusterfuck in Texas, so I'm much less worried.

he was taking the subway, did not isolate himself at all, in contact with quite few people apparently, went bowling Wed night, then had 103F fever next morning. Obviously for someone coming from direct involvement with Ebola patients in Africa, seems like a total lack of caution, prudence. Now NY is trying track down maybe 100s of people for monitoring.

SnakeBoy
10-24-2014, 11:56 AM
he was taking the subway, did not isolate himself at all, in contact with quite few people apparently, went bowling Wed night, then had 103F fever next morning. Obviously for someone coming from direct involvement with Ebola patients in Africa, seems like a total lack of caution, prudence. Now NY is trying track down maybe 100s of people for monitoring.

He did exactly what the CDC recommends.

pgardn
10-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Let me know when 50,000 people die in the US.
despite the huge screw ups...

TDMVPDPOY
10-25-2014, 06:18 AM
ebola from west africa, a bunch of monkey nations who are colonies of the french faggots

why isnt NGO asking the faggots for money, instead chasing uk, us, aus for money...

this is bs....

ChumpDumper
10-25-2014, 11:51 AM
he was taking the subway, did not isolate himself at all, in contact with quite few people apparently, went bowling Wed night, then had 103F fever next morning. Obviously for someone coming from direct involvement with Ebola patients in Africa, seems like a total lack of caution, prudence. Now NY is trying track down maybe 100s of people for monitoring.Or it shows that Ebola isn't that easily spread and the people shouldn't freak out so badly.

boutons_deux
10-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Or it shows that Ebola isn't that easily spread and the people shouldn't freak out so badly.

the freakout by media, esp right-wing hate media and fucking House Repugs/Issa, is all part of "blame Obama (for everything)" for Ebola.

"heckuva job, Brownie"

2pac > Kobe
10-25-2014, 03:06 PM
lol @ u faggots believing ebola is a real disease

DarrinS
10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_AsXqn9fxY

Agloco
10-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Sorry B, I meant domestic.

Domestic as in having its origins on US soil. You can hardly count someone who is flown back post haste.

Anyway, I wonder how many US fatalities there have been?

Agloco
10-28-2014, 06:22 PM
lol @ u faggots believing ebola is a real disease

Jus keepin it real, right bruh?

Winehole23
10-29-2014, 10:54 AM
The governors of a number of states, including New York and New Jersey, recently imposed 21-day quarantines on health care workers returning to the United States from regions of the world where they may have cared for patients with Ebola virus disease. We understand their motivation for this policy — to protect the citizens of their states from contracting this often-fatal illness. This approach, however, is not scientifically based, is unfair and unwise, and will impede essential efforts to stop these awful outbreaks of Ebola disease at their source, which is the only satisfactory goal. The governors' action is like driving a carpet tack with a sledgehammer: it gets the job done but overall is more destructive than beneficial.http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1413139

boutons_deux
10-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Kaci gonna sue tomorrow, Repug greasebag LePage will probably sue back, send a SWAT team, tanks, mortars, dogs, to track her down and tie her down.

Winehole23
11-14-2014, 02:34 PM
after the midterms, the hysteria subsided:

Afew short weeks ago, Ebola was public enemy No. 1.

About 1,000 people were being monitored by health officials. Several schools in Texas and Ohio shut down because of a single patient who boarded a plane. A cruise ship was refused permission to dock in Cozumel, off Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. President Obama appointed an Ebola "czar." Polls showed a majority of Americans were concerned that Ebola would spread out of control in the U.S.

On Tuesday, a fully recovered Dr. Craig Spencer was released from Bellevue Hospital Center in Manhattan. The U.S. was now Ebola-free for the first time since Sept. 5 — a milestone that barely seemed to register with a once-frenzied public.

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-ebola-panic-20141112-story.html

Winehole23
11-14-2014, 03:17 PM
nasal vaccine developed at UT-Austin:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/mp500646d

Spurminator
11-14-2014, 03:26 PM
after the midterms, the hysteria subsided

Y2K14

boutons_deux
11-14-2014, 03:36 PM
BENGHAZI!

deficit!

debt!

out of control spending

social security bankrupt!

hyperfinflation!

The Repugs' hair is always on and they are ALWAYS wrong

Looks like Mr Benghazi ISSA is gonna lose his committee chairmanship

boutons_deux
11-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Boehner’s legal two-step: The Speaker floats another frivolous lawsuit, this time over immigration

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/14/boehners_legal_two_step_the_speaker_floats_another _frivolous_lawsuit_this_time_over_immigration/

Spurminator
11-14-2014, 04:30 PM
WTF are you talking about now? This is an ebola thread.

boutons_deux
11-14-2014, 04:33 PM
WTF are you talking about now? This is an ebola thread.

ebola hysteria was the same as all the other hysteria, BEHGHAZI HILLARY DID IT!, for all the other bullhsit the Repugs, Fox, etc. push to distract from governing

Winehole23
11-20-2014, 02:40 AM
odd wrinkle: http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/11/18/365015169/india-quarantines-ebola-survivor-because-of-infectious-semen