PDA

View Full Version : Express News: Spurs make run at Finley

Kori Ellis
08-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Spurs make run at Finley
Web Posted: 08/25/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA082505.1C.BKNspurs.finley.17a42370.html

Prepared to come home empty-handed but willing to at least make the most of an invitation from the NBA's most prized free agent, the Spurs will meet Michael Finley in Chicago today, long on credentials but short on visual aids.

Miami and Phoenix already have made their in-person overtures to Finley this week, with both teams going the multimedia route to illustrate their interest.

The Heat produced digitally enhanced photos of Finley wearing a Miami uniform. Suns owner Robert Sarver — who Spurs fans last saw hanging with The Famous Chicken — stopped short of lugging any fuzzy mascots to Chicago, but did bring stacks of fan e-mail to his meeting with Finley on Tuesday.

As for what zany presentations the Spurs might have in store for Finley today?

"We'll let people draw their own conclusions on that," general manager R.C. Buford said.

Translation: the Spurs' sales pitch — which will be delivered by coach Gregg Popovich — figures to be low on frills and heavy on talk of championships, a low-key locker room, and the chance to play with Tim Duncan.

Miami, with its full $5 million exception and talent-laden roster, still is considered the frontrunner for Finley, the 32-year-old guard who Dallas waived under the amnesty provision earlier this month.

But the Spurs wouldn't be making the trip to Chicago if they weren't assured by Finley's camp that they at least have a legitimate chance. The Spurs only have about $2.5 million available, but that difference isn't thought to be a deal-breaker because Finley is set to receive the $51.8 million the Mavericks owe him. The Suns, led by former Finley teammate Steve Nash, have only a $1.1 million exception to offer.

But unlike Phoenix, which is dangerously thin on the perimeter after the departures of Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson, the Spurs aren't exactly desperate for Finley's services.

His 3-point shooting and backcourt experience obviously would help an offense that bogged down at times during last season's championship run. But just as was the case when they pursued Jason Kidd and Karl Malone in recent years, the Spurs aren't scared of their alternatives.

The pool of options might be drying up, however. Detroit is reportedly prepared to sign Sacramento restricted free agent Maurice Evans, one of the Spurs' potential summer targets, to an offer sheet. Also, the Suns are nearing a deal to acquire Indiana swingman James Jones.

The Spurs' safety net, though, is that they still have the right to match any offer made to their own restricted free agent, Devin Brown. Re-signing Brown would fill the Spurs' only glaring need, which is a backup wing player.

"You look at our roster, and we probably have enough bigs," Buford said. "Any moves we'd make would probably be in other areas."

milkyway21
08-25-2005, 12:32 AM
The Heat produced digitally enhanced photos of Finley wearing a Miami uniform.
Suns owner Robert Sarver — who Spurs fans last saw hanging with The Famous Chicken — stopped short of lugging any fuzzy mascots to Chicago, but did bring stacks of fan e-mail to his meeting with Finley on Tuesday.
:lmao :lmao :lmao

the Spurs aren't exactly desperate for Finley's services.
exactly just what i thought the Spurs do.

biggerspursfanthanu
08-25-2005, 12:41 AM
If all that kiss assy stuff works, then Fin Probably isnt what were looking for. All i know is that if pop treats tim equal to everyone else, someone that needs there ass kissed definately need not come here.

SenorSpur
08-25-2005, 12:44 AM
I regret the Spurs have become preoccupied with this guy, while other teams have absorbed those players the Spurs had on their radar (Evans, Jones).

As I've stated before, I could care less about Finley. Resigning Devin is a much higher priority in my mind. So long as they resign him, we'll be fine.

G-Nob
08-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Love our approach. No nonsense. Just like we've always done things. Chaunsey said it best. "we just do what we do."

nkdlunch
08-25-2005, 02:56 PM
http://www.doubleviking.com/wp-content/P1010015.jpg

mookie2001
08-25-2005, 02:58 PM
LOL
the spurs just brought of picture of Horry

smeagol
08-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Finley would be great. I hope he prefers a ring over the mighty $ (fuck, he already has plenty of $).

1Billups1
08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
It is most likely that he will sign with Miami.

rayray2k8
08-25-2005, 03:24 PM
but finley has to feed his family!! and pay his bills... and his bmw... oh did i mention his medical bills are a motherfucker? :D

rayray2k8
08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
It is most likely that he will sign with Miami.

oh and i bet it hurts you to say that? :pctoss :lol

Marcus Bryant
08-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Assuming the Spurs re-sign Devin Brown, then the Spurs will only have one spot left on the active roster. Frankly I'd like to see them land the best player available to them for that spot, regardless of position. If that's Finley, great. If it's NVE, awesome. If it's Big Dog,....

ace3g
08-25-2005, 04:52 PM
I thought the spurs have 3 spots to fill ( 1 PG and 2 wing players)

Marcus Bryant
08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I thought the spurs have 3 spots to fill ( 1 PG and 2 wing players)

Active roster (as of today):

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench
1 Udrih
2/3 Barry
2/3 DBrown (?)
4 Horry
4/5 Oberto
5 Nesterovic
?

Assuming the Spurs will re-sign DBrown, they will then have one remaining spot on the active roster.

spurschick
08-25-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm just not sold on Finley. Considering how stealthy the Spurs are, I'm surprised that they would go to Chicago to pitch him. Maybe it's all just smoke and mirrors and they have someone else in mind. I know there aren't many left, but the Spurs always seem to pull a rabbit out of the hat that leaves the rest of the league dumbfounded.

Horry For 3!
08-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Active roster (as of today):

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench
1 Udrih
2/3 Barry
2/3 DBrown (?)
4 Horry
4/5 Oberto
5 Nesterovic
?

Assuming the Spurs will re-sign DBrown, they will then have one remaining spot on the active roster.
We might could go after NVE.

Horry For 3!
08-25-2005, 06:47 PM
http://www.doubleviking.com/wp-content/P1010015.jpg
:lmao

beirmeistr
08-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Does anybody know who else besides RC and Pop was going to Chicago?