PDA

View Full Version : Cory Joseph...

Brazil
10-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Key year for him obviously...

At 23 y/o his contract is up by the end of the year, he will have an opportunity to show what he is capable being Parker's back up during first half of the year.

Except for the highlight dunk on Ibaka and some good defense once in a while he had a very quiet year.

I'm pulling for him tbh he brings defense intensity, takes care of the ball, can shoot some jumpers here and there, if he could add an half consistent 3 pt shooting, he could become a very capable back up. Not gonna easy for him tho, he will have a bit of pressure on his shoulder, I hope he will handle it well and can sign a new contract next year probably for another team.

jjktkk
10-01-2014, 01:39 PM
It would be nice if the Spurs could get something for CJ in a trade. I like him too, but I can't see him getting anything but spot minutes.

ChumpDumper
10-01-2014, 01:42 PM
It would be nice if the Spurs could get something for CJ in a trade. I like him too, but I can't see him getting anything but spot minutes.Well you're going to see him play a lot more than that.

boutons_deux
10-01-2014, 01:44 PM
As Pop "experiments" in the 1st half of the season, I bet he gives KA some PG minutes.

Gibbz
10-01-2014, 01:59 PM
As Pop "experiments" in the 1st half of the season, I bet he give KA some PG minutes.

The horror--the horror.

Old School 44
10-01-2014, 02:26 PM
When Cory enters games, he seems to dribble the ball a lot and look for his own shot. I'm guessing it's attributed to the times he typically enters games - during blow out wins/losses. Hopefully, with more meaningful minutes, we'll see a different Cory.

Raven
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
he will explode.

Brazil
10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
he will explode.

:lol

that's some nice optimism

bluebellmaniac
10-01-2014, 02:58 PM
As Pop "experiments" in the 1st half of the season, I bet he gives KA some PG minutes.

Pop experimenting?

Cue up the "Fire Pop" threads...

look_at_g_shred
10-01-2014, 03:27 PM
It's called coaching.

xmas1997
10-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Cojo is going to be needed this year and that is obvious.

He hasn't performed badly in the recent past.

TheGreatYacht
10-01-2014, 04:04 PM
He's gonna be average. Very, very, very, very average

wildcardX
10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
I'm hopeful Joseph and Belinelli have better seasons, like Mills and Diaw had last season.

benstanfield
10-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Passable defender, no play making ability, no range.

Cory Joseph is the NBA equivalent of a ham and cheese sandwich.

Galileo
10-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Where is Nando when we need him???

Chinook
10-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Seemed pretty good tonight. Still think he's a better player than Mills, or at least he has a higher ceiling.

Uriel
10-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Seemed pretty good tonight. Still think he's a better player than Mills, or at least he has a higher ceiling.
That's a pretty bold statement to make. :lol You think he'll supplant Mills as the backup PG this season?

Chinook
10-01-2014, 08:13 PM
That's a pretty bold statement to make. :lol You think he'll supplant Mills as the backup PG this season?

Not unless Patty is rusty and Cory develops more. But I think the team will be able to run Tony's plays for Cory if they want to.

pgardn
10-01-2014, 09:25 PM

Hope so.

But no way have I seen any sign of the above.

Ice009
10-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Do you guys think Cory played well in the second half of that OKC game 6? I thought he was pretty darn good. I thought he was steady on offense (didn't try to do too much or force anything) and played with intensity on defense.

I haven't gone back to re-watch the game yet, so was just wondering what you guys that have re-watched it think about his performance and effort in the second half of that game? Was it as good as I recall? Also, did he play more minutes than Patty in that second half? It seems like Pop had him out there quite a bit and I think that was due to his defensive effort.

ElNono
10-02-2014, 12:34 AM
I always been on the robdiaz2191's CJ bandwagon (he can back me up on this).

He said he's been working hard on his shot reps over the summer, which is only good news. I think the key factor with him is going to be consistency in the focus and intensity departments. He can't get complacent, and the lack of competition for his position and extra minutes could steer him that way, seeing that Pop can't yank him as often as he would like in order to coach him. So it's going to be a huge maturity test for him.

I think it's safe to say he's better than Enrique already, but not better than Patty, and obviously not even close to MVParker.

100%duncan
10-02-2014, 07:18 AM
For me it was not his dunk on Ibaka which highlighted his season but his play in game 6 against OKC. Without Parker on the road and with Pop not wanting to mess up the rotation by starting Patty in the 2nd half, CJ did a damn well job helping the Spurs become stable. This is rarely mentioned but those minutes were huge and if not for those maybe we would have been playing a game 7 in SA.

RD2191
10-02-2014, 09:52 AM
I always been on the robdiaz2191 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42690)'s CJ bandwagon (he can back me up on this).

He said he's been working hard on his shot reps over the summer, which is only good news. I think the key factor with him is going to be consistency in the focus and intensity departments. He can't get complacent, and the lack of competition for his position and extra minutes could steer him that way, seeing that Pop can't yank him as often as he would like in order to coach him. So it's going to be a huge maturity test for him.

I think it's safe to say he's better than Enrique already, but not better than Patty, and obviously not even close to MVParker.
:bobo

Brazil
10-02-2014, 10:22 AM
For me it was not his dunk on Ibaka which highlighted his season but his play in game 6 against OKC. Without Parker on the road and with Pop not wanting to mess up the rotation by starting Patty in the 2nd half, CJ did a damn well job helping the Spurs become stable. This is rarely mentioned but those minutes were huge and if not for those maybe we would have been playing a game 7 in SA.

I agree it was not just the dunk but yes he did well in the second half of game and has been important when we needed him

10-02-2014, 10:29 AM
I've always like CJ, and I think he's a solid player. He doesn't shoot the three, but hey, neither does Tony. His mid range is money iirc and he can finish just as well as patty. He's like a game manager :lol

I think he's also worked on his handles too. I remember a big reason he got hated on was because he couldn't dribble it passed half court if the opposing team played aggressive D. I didn't see that problem in the playoffs this past year. Our PG position is looking very nice, when healthy ofc.

100%duncan
10-02-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree it was not just the dunk but yes he did well in the second half of game and has been important when we needed him

Do we all agree that this^ is the best thing that happened to ST? :lol

Brazil
10-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Do we all agree that this^ is the best thing that happened to ST? :lol

totally... best stuff since mouse invented the troll accounts

Raven
10-02-2014, 12:03 PM
:lol people saying he is bad at the three when he is an above .400 shooter :lol

ChumpDumper
10-02-2014, 12:07 PM
:lol people saying he is bad at the three when he is an above .400 shooter :lolWhen did he shoot that from the arc in the NBA?

elemento
10-02-2014, 01:43 PM
I've always liked Joseph as a prospect. I really hope that he takes advantage of the chance to be a full-time backup PG this season.

Great size, good defensively, but he needs to take the next step offensively to play in SAS system. If he could develop a reliable 3p, it would help him immensely in the NBA, especially playing for Pop.

Brazil
10-02-2014, 04:52 PM
:lol people saying he is bad at the three when he is an above .400 shooter :lol

wtf ?

he is .28 career at the three

Chinook
10-02-2014, 04:55 PM
wtf ?

he is .28 career at the three

He's talking about Cory's d-league stats. For what it's worth, Green shot 50 percent from three when he was there a few years ago.

Brazil
10-02-2014, 05:18 PM
He's talking about Cory's d-league stats. For what it's worth, Green shot 50 percent from three when he was there a few years ago.

:lol oh ok

so again dat dude speaks out of his ass... not the first time

Raven
10-02-2014, 08:56 PM
:lol oh ok

so again dat dude speaks out of his ass... not the first time

well you had to check though didn't you :lol? just kidding :lol

Em-City
10-02-2014, 10:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXQRYiBqCOw

Brazil
10-02-2014, 11:15 PM
well you had to check though didn't you :lol? just kidding :lol

:lol not really I even mentioned he needs to work on it on op

mkurts
10-03-2014, 09:40 AM
His utmost ceiling is probably something closer to Tony Allen

100%duncan
10-03-2014, 09:42 AM

What? He's too small to be as defensively elite but I think he has a higher offensive ceiling imho.

Brazil
10-03-2014, 10:59 AM

:lol

the fuck

G-Dawgg
10-05-2014, 11:40 AM
He's a good solid backup. He isn't exceptional in any way but he plays hard, puts in effort on defense, he doesn't try to do too much and plays within himself. He moves the ball well, his mid-range jumper is good and he finishes pretty well in the key. He can run the offence effectively and isn't a liability on either offense or defense when he is on the court.. He fits in well.

superbigtime
10-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Better back up than Jacque Vaughn was by a mile. I think he's going to play acceptably. He will play a little more this year and have a bigger role, so hopefully will continue growing chemistry with his teammates. I want to see some more thunder dunks!

spursparker9
10-06-2014, 01:02 AM

Nah.

Probably a better version of Jacque Vaugh

ceperez
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
It just seems that Joseph is an average, adequate point guard. It seems like you can easily replace him by some guy from the D-league. He's fine for Parkers backup, but so far I've yet to see anything spectacular from him.

His 3 point percentage is just .316, improved from .286. Not exactly great numbers. Surprisingly, Nado de Colo had better stats from the 3 (.323).

Not really comparable, but Anderson 3 percentage in college was .483

If Cojo doesn't improve this year then I don't expect the Spurs to resign him for the next year. Heck, it might be worth gambling on Cotton.

littlecoyotecoin
10-06-2014, 05:59 PM
He had better (Cotton) be an exceptional scorer. I loved TJ Ford as our backup PG. TJ and Bryce were similarly sized. The difference is TJ was a HELL of a PG. From what I've seen and read, Bryce is barely a PG. He is not much of a passer or creator - damning criticism for a point guard - really a tiny two guard. NTTAWWT, but we already have one of those locked under contract in Patty, who is bigger, stronger, and likely a better defender.

I don't think he'll be able to run the point well, and he won't be able to defend...

He better score like wildfire.

ChumpDumper
10-06-2014, 08:39 PM
It just seems that Joseph is an average, adequate point guard. It seems like you can easily replace him by some guy from the D-league.Not that easy at all.

He's fine for Parkers backup, but so far I've yet to see anything spectacular from him.

His 3 point percentage is just .316, improved from .286. Not exactly great numbers. Surprisingly, Nado de Colo had better stats from the 3 (.323).

Not really comparable, but Anderson 3 percentage in college was .483

If Cojo doesn't improve this year then I don't expect the Spurs to resign him for the next year. Heck, it might be worth gambling on Cotton.Um, he's fine for Parker's backup but sign someone else?

He had better (Cotton) be an exceptional scorer. I loved TJ Ford as our backup PG. TJ and Bryce were similarly sized. The difference is TJ was a HELL of a PG. From what I've seen and read, Bryce is barely a PG. He is not much of a passer or creator - damning criticism for a point guard - really a tiny two guard. NTTAWWT, but we already have one of those locked under contract in Patty, who is bigger, stronger, and likely a better defender.

I don't think he'll be able to run the point well, and he won't be able to defend...

He better score like wildfire.Barring some miracle or season ending injury, Cotton won't make the team this season.

Johnny RIngo
10-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Strange statement considering we've seen nothing from Joseph to suggest he's a better player than Mills. He has a higher ceiling as a point guard(Mills is pretty much just a scorer) but Patty is worlds better on offense.

Brazil
10-08-2014, 04:09 PM
:lol not a great start

Agloco
10-08-2014, 08:30 PM

Understatement.....

littlecoyotecoin
10-08-2014, 08:36 PM

Rome wasn't built in a day, but yeah...not exactly a cornerstone game. Cotton, either?

Johnny RIngo
10-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day, but yeah...not exactly a cornerstone game. Cotton, either?

Joseph sucks but Cotton isn't even an option right now. Dude had trouble dribbling the ball tonight. Doesn't even look good enough for D-League. Cory pretty much has no competition for the backup position. Going to stay that way until Patty's healthy.

littlecoyotecoin
10-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Joseph sucks but Cotton isn't even an option right now. Dude had trouble dribbling the ball tonight. Doesn't even look good enough for D-League. Cory pretty much has no competition for the backup position. Going to stay that way until Patty's healthy.

Yeah. Small sample caveat, yadda yadda, etc, but he didn't look good. I totally expect him to get posted up and out-muscled, what I did not expect to see is a guy blow right past him like Cotton wasn't even conscious. You just kind of expect the small guy to be able to be quick enough to stay in front of his man. Nope. A 5'11" traffic cone. Worse than expected, but, it's one game. Maybe he improves. I wish him luck.

TheGreatYacht
10-09-2014, 02:26 AM
Cory Oseph has been on the Spurs system for FOUR years... Still can't run the offense and create for others. He just stands in the corner and passes shots up.

Mills = bench
^ been saying this

TheGreatYacht
10-09-2014, 02:28 AM
2013: Manu + Joseph = turnobili
2014: Manu + Mills = Good year for both
2015 preseason: Manu + Joseph = turnobili

Baseline
10-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Passable defender, no play making ability, no range.

Cory Joseph is the NBA equivalent of a ham and cheese sandwich.

Without the cheese, tbh.

spurraider21
10-09-2014, 03:17 AM
if he can dunk on ibaka once a year i'm good

Obstructed_View
10-09-2014, 08:03 AM
He's fine as a third point guard, but that's likely all he's ever gonna be in the league.

superbigtime
10-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Joseph didn't look so great but Cotton flat out stunk.

Brazil
11-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Just bumping dat thread to talk about Cory

i thought he he had a very solid game against the Lakers. Overall he is shooting well, his jump shot seems improved, in defense he is doing what it is expected peasky. 9 ppg in 18 min that's not bad.

he had a rough start but improving.

:tu