PDA

View Full Version : Knicks: Fatmelo: I'm the most underrated superstar

Splits
10-01-2014, 06:47 PM
WEST POINT, N.Y. -- New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony believes he's the "most underrated" star player in the NBA.

Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony says he the most underrated superstar in the NBA.
"I think I'm the most underrated superstar that's out there (laughs) but that doesn't matter to me," Anthony told ESPN's Chris Broussard.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/11624895/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-says-most-underrated-star-player

RsxPiimp
10-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Melo's a ****.:lol

Fabbs
10-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Wtf is up with all these modern day punk asses feeling the need to proclaim to the media their overbloated view of themselves?

illusioNtEk
10-01-2014, 09:29 PM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/450860132-jeff-ayres-san-antonio-spurs-players-coaches-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7Qb5k0AkTPtfTmzfnZtvrCncmO2tO LSowJeuzpjbDGI3QsuFM3RJpkeUUtnvoquTfb2dTU43zmzKAc% 2FlMf%2BvnT1vgmhkelxHqr5xUg82P7qOq

jeff ayres: 1
melo: 0

ElNono
10-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Carmelo has been dodging truly competitive basketball all his career. That's entirely on him.

SpurSwag
10-01-2014, 11:28 PM
He's right though. He had an amazing year last year that was just botched by Jr, Felton, Shumpert, and Chandler having pretty terrible seasons. The year before that he won the scoring title and led the knicks to the second round and lost to a tough pacers team (back then at least).

Franklin
10-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Only his weight is underrated, imho.

ElNono
10-02-2014, 12:14 AM
He's right though. He had an amazing year last year that was just botched by Jr, Felton, Shumpert, and Chandler having pretty terrible seasons. The year before that he won the scoring title and led the knicks to the second round and lost to a tough pacers team (back then at least).

But he didn't have to deal with it anymore. He could've gone to a more competitive team, gun for a LOBT, but he took the money and ran. That was his choice.

spurraider21
10-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Only his weight is underrated, imho.
:lol

JamStone
10-02-2014, 12:42 AM
But he didn't have to deal with it anymore. He could've gone to a more competitive team, gun for a LOBT, but he took the money and ran. That was his choice.

Where should he have gone? Chicago for $7 million a year? Knicks wouldn't do a sign and trade and the Bulls didn't have that much cap space. Miami and be a third wheel in the wake of LeBron leaving and get criticized for joining a superfriends team? I mean, he's 30 years old going into his 12th season in the NBA and still one of the top 10 players in the league. Even the superstars that get praised for taking "paycuts" didn't take that massive a paycut in their 12th season in the league. Both Duncan and Dirk made roughly $20 million in their respective 12th NBA season. What "competitive" teams could have afforded to give him at least a reasonable superstar contract? He wasn't going to go to Utah. He'd get blasted if he went to Miami. He would have been laughed at if he signed with the Lakers. And the Bulls could have only offered around the $7 million per they gave Pau since the Knicks wouldn't sign and trade.

Melo should just shut up, but I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not going to a more competitive team. He's right in the middle of his peak prime and no superstar athlete in any American pro team sport in his peak prime is going to take 1/3 of what his market value is. Not even Duncan or Dirk did.

ElNono
10-02-2014, 12:58 AM
Where should he have gone? Chicago for $7 million a year? Knicks wouldn't do a sign and trade and the Bulls didn't have that much cap space. Miami and be a third wheel in the wake of LeBron leaving and get criticized for joining a superfriends team? I mean, he's 30 years old going into his 12th season in the NBA and still one of the top 10 players in the league. Even the superstars that get praised for taking "paycuts" didn't take that massive a paycut in their 12th season in the league. Both Duncan and Dirk made roughly $20 million in their respective 12th NBA season. What "competitive" teams could have afforded to give him at least a reasonable superstar contract? He wasn't going to go to Utah. He'd get blasted if he went to Miami. He would have been laughed at if he signed with the Lakers. And the Bulls could have only offered around the $7 million per they gave Pau since the Knicks wouldn't sign and trade.

Melo should just shut up, but I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not going to a more competitive team. He's right in the middle of his peak prime and no superstar athlete in any American pro team sport in his peak prime is going to take 1/3 of what his market value is. Not even Duncan or Dirk did.

I thought the Mavs were trying to get him? And there would be no shame in going to Miami, IMO, especially if it was known Lebron was bolting. He even talked as a FA about the Knicks failing to put a competitive team around him. Miami had the pieces and structure to give him a solid shot. I think that applies to Dallas also. And if he has to take a small paycut to make it work, so what? Even Lebron took less money when he went to Miami. That's just the reality of the current CBA in this league, where players a lot of times have to choose between a trim to their salaries for a shot to glory or stick with the big money and play with a subpar supporting cast. I don't think he needed to take a 1/3 cut in those cases, but probably it wouldn't have been the max (though it's likely he would have been the top paid player on the team).

But Melo has been chasing the green since he forced his way out of Denver for a bigger media market. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but when you're stuck on a non-competitive team, then you gotta look why that happened.

spurraider21
10-02-2014, 01:05 AM
miami would have been a lot of pressure, as he'd be held to lebron's standards.

baseline bum
10-02-2014, 01:12 AM

As opposed to when Friend Killer and Fatfuck had good seasons?

Sean Cagney
10-02-2014, 01:21 AM
He's right though. He had an amazing year last year that was just botched by Jr, Felton, Shumpert, and Chandler having pretty terrible seasons. The year before that he won the scoring title and led the knicks to the second round and lost to a tough pacers team (back then at least).He is a good player no doubt, great scorer but he is not a leader nor a team player IMO. Look at their payroll was well, he could have left if he wanted to win and take less to go elsewhere, he is about the money and stats.
miami would have been a lot of pressure, as he'd be held to lebron's standards.

He would never have taken that over there, he would for one underachieve and second after that you are right he would be held to Lebrons standards and no come close IMO.

AaronY
10-02-2014, 03:54 AM
"Superstar" I Lol'd

JamStone
10-02-2014, 08:13 AM
I thought the Mavs were trying to get him? And there would be no shame in going to Miami, IMO, especially if it was known Lebron was bolting. He even talked as a FA about the Knicks failing to put a competitive team around him. Miami had the pieces and structure to give him a solid shot. I think that applies to Dallas also. And if he has to take a small paycut to make it work, so what? Even Lebron took less money when he went to Miami. That's just the reality of the current CBA in this league, where players a lot of times have to choose between a trim to their salaries for a shot to glory or stick with the big money and play with a subpar supporting cast. I don't think he needed to take a 1/3 cut in those cases, but probably it wouldn't have been the max (though it's likely he would have been the top paid player on the team).

But Melo has been chasing the green since he forced his way out of Denver for a bigger media market. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but when you're stuck on a non-competitive team, then you gotta look why that happened.

Totally forgot about Dallas, so I guess that may have been one of the better opportunities to win. However, I will argue that with the Spurs, OKC, the Clippers, Golden State, Houston, and with LeBron leaving the Heat, Melo on the Knicks still probably has a better chance at getting to the NBA Finals in the Eastern Conference than had he joined the Mavs. The East is pretty wide open now. That's why he wanted to go to Chicago. I guess I would partially retract my earlier post because Dallas would have been a place he could have gone to have a better chance at winning, HOWEVER, I don't think it would be a place to go if he were chasing a championship. Just too difficult in the West with all the other good teams.

Melo would have gotten destroyed by the media and fans if he went to Miami. And as a few have already suggested, he'd have to live up to LeBron's standards. Aging Wade and less than great secondary help beyond Bosh, Miami actually isn't the greatest situation anyway. After LeBron, any top 10 player would probably want to avoid Miami. Tough to fill his shoes.

SpurSwag
10-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I actually do think staying in New York was the right decision, and while I definitely feel he should have taken a discount if he was serious about winning right now, I can't blame him for getting the most out of what will likely be his last chance at a max contract. An ideal situation for Melo to win in is with the type of supporting cast that Dirk had in 2011, that is a team that is built to surround a superstar with a bunch of shooters and a great defensive presence in the middle. The closest he had to that was two years ago in NY and late in his Denver years. In my opinion, last year wasn't his fault at all. In fact, had his team helped him to get around 45 - 50 wins, he could have been a top 5 MVP candidate. He had a great year.

SpurSwag
10-02-2014, 09:16 AM
The reason I think NY was the best move for him, especially legacy wise, is that if he were to jump ship and join a big 3 somewhere and win, he would be remembered as a good scorer who needed a lot of help to win. But if he somehow manages to get it done as the alpha in NY, he'll go down as a legend. He just needs to win once in NY for his legacy to be cemented.

testies
10-02-2014, 11:47 AM

You preferred that he colluded like a bitch (when I say bitch, I mean Bran, Dwight, etc)? Props to him for not doing that shit

ElNono
10-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Totally forgot about Dallas, so I guess that may have been one of the better opportunities to win. However, I will argue that with the Spurs, OKC, the Clippers, Golden State, Houston, and with LeBron leaving the Heat, Melo on the Knicks still probably has a better chance at getting to the NBA Finals in the Eastern Conference than had he joined the Mavs. The East is pretty wide open now. That's why he wanted to go to Chicago. I guess I would partially retract my earlier post because Dallas would have been a place he could have gone to have a better chance at winning, HOWEVER, I don't think it would be a place to go if he were chasing a championship. Just too difficult in the West with all the other good teams.

Melo would have gotten destroyed by the media and fans if he went to Miami. And as a few have already suggested, he'd have to live up to LeBron's standards. Aging Wade and less than great secondary help beyond Bosh, Miami actually isn't the greatest situation anyway. After LeBron, any top 10 player would probably want to avoid Miami. Tough to fill his shoes.

Fair enough. Frankly, I think him in Dallas would've made them contenders. Rick is probably the 2nd best coach in the league, and you have some championship experience there. The West might be tough, but an injury here or there can easily open things up. I really think he has no shot with the Knicks. I like Phil, but Dolan still runs that team and he likes to meddle too much.

ElNono
10-02-2014, 09:01 PM
You preferred that he colluded like a bitch (when I say bitch, I mean Bran, Dwight, etc)? Props to him for not doing that shit

As I said before, it's the reality of the CBA. Players that don't take somewhat less money end up playing with a shitty cast. Look what happened even to Miami last season. They penny pinched Mike Miller and it cost them. Look at Kobe with that franchise killing extension.

Lebron to Cleveland is probably the only situation where it might work out, because Cleveland sucked for years and been stockpiling promising talent on rookie deals. But it's an outlier.

Silver&Black
10-02-2014, 09:05 PM
:lol Underrated
:lol 124 Million dollar contract
:lol Defense

Splits
10-05-2014, 01:48 AM
http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/melo_throwingtheballatpeeps_20131116_1.gif?w=625

Chinook
10-05-2014, 01:52 AM
I do think he's better than people say he is, especially defensively. No way players like Harden and Curry are better than him, but most lists now indicate that.

spurraider21
10-05-2014, 02:29 AM
http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/melo_throwingtheballatpeeps_20131116_1.gif?w=625
how were those uni colors allowed :lol

spurraider21
10-05-2014, 02:31 AM
I do think he's better than people say he is, especially defensively. No way players like Harden and Curry are better than him, but most lists now indicate that.
ehh, at the max contract he's coming with, i dont see how you build a contender. i feel like it would be more plausible to do so with curry. whats an ideal roster you could put around melo (reasonable with respect to the cap, of course)

on the other hand, if the warriors spent their david lee money on a better fit, that team is elite

Chinook
10-05-2014, 02:37 AM
ehh, at the max contract he's coming with, i dont see how you build a contender. i feel like it would be more plausible to do so with curry. whats an ideal roster you could put around melo (reasonable with respect to the cap, of course)

on the other hand, if the warriors spent their david lee money on a better fit, that team is elite

I think the Heat could have won in 2012 had they had Melo instead of James. Obviously, Lebron was the MVP and GOAT in my opinion, so he was the biggest part of that. But Anthony at the four with competent players around him is a deadly combination. We saw that with the Knicks that same year. The problem with them wasn't Melo; it was that JR Smith was their second option and there wasn't anyone else close. You give him Bosh and Wade over Smith and STAT, and I think people would view Melo differently.

Malik Hairston
10-05-2014, 03:09 AM
I do think Carmelo is kind of underrated, he had a very good season last year with an awful supporting cast, tbh..it was arguably the best all-around season he's had in the league IIRC..

I don't believe you can win with him as your main guy, though, unless he's playing the same role Dirk played in 2011 IMO..I'm not sure that he has the understanding and discipline to play in a motion offense + complicated defensive system, though..

It's not exactly a knock on him, it's a legitimate question, as he has never really had the system or players around him to be put in that type of situation, so I don't think anybody can answer that..

I also don't believe his game could effectively translate as a #2 option, either, so you're stuck with him as your #1 IMO..

spurraider21
10-05-2014, 03:13 AM
I think the Heat could have won in 2012 had they had Melo instead of James. Obviously, Lebron was the MVP and GOAT in my opinion, so he was the biggest part of that. But Anthony at the four with competent players around him is a deadly combination. We saw that with the Knicks that same year. The problem with them wasn't Melo; it was that JR Smith was their second option and there wasn't anyone else close. You give him Bosh and Wade over Smith and STAT, and I think people would view Melo differently.
that's a stretch as it is, and you yourself have discussed how difficult it is to build around lebron, and how the construction of that miami team required such ridiculous circumstances

Chinook
10-05-2014, 03:23 AM
that's a stretch as it is, and you yourself have discussed how difficult it is to build around lebron, and how the construction of that miami team required such ridiculous circumstances

It's difficult to build around James because he has to be both a PG and a post threat. Melo is pretty much a post guy (both high and low) who can shoot from range when he's open. He's sort of the rich man's David West. Save for the fact that Melo's undersized for the four spot, he'd be pretty easy to build around. You need spacing and an elite defensive big. On the Knicks a couple of years ago, he had that with Chandler and the perimeter players. But he also had STAT taking up $20 Million, which pretty much destroyed any chance the Knicks had to upgrade from JR Smith as a second option. Not to mention that they were trotting out Shumpert as one of their wings back then.

A Blake/Green/Batum/Melo/Chandler lineup would have challenged for a Finals spot last year, in my opinion. Hell, New York really screwed up passing on Lowery last season (and picking Bargnani earlier). He, Melo and Chandler would have been fine pieces to build around if they could have grabbed two strong defensive wings who could also shoot.