PDA

View Full Version : Project Spurs: Tim Duncan on why he decided to come back this season

Dex
10-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Another nice short interview with Tim. He really seems to be opening up a lot more this season.

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/tim-duncan-on-why-he-decided-to-come-back-this-season.html

spurraider21
10-02-2014, 12:24 PM
he said "try to give it one more try"

:depressed

hyhy
10-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Just listening to him talk about how its near the end and because of that he is more appreciative of the journey and wants to enjoy it a little more.. :depressed

KL2
10-03-2014, 03:46 AM
Would love TD to go out with 6, he's so good he could probably play another 2 years depending on how his body holds out, guys are going to have to step it up this season.

Russo21
10-03-2014, 05:02 AM
:madrunTim is never allowed to retire :cry

SupremeGuy
10-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Dammit, I still haven't let myself come to the realization that Tim's career is almost over. Don't leave us Tim, never leave us. :cry

exstatic
10-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Honestly? If you told me 5 years ago that he'd be playing the 2014-2015 season, I'd have laughed in your face. He's done an amazing job of caring for and improving his body.

We're on extra time with Tim, so ENJOY IT. It's been an amazing run.

TheCerebral1
10-03-2014, 09:55 AM
He got number five which ties him with active players leader Kobe Bryant. He got his redemption on LBJ and Miami Heat and regardless of expectations for the upcoming season is sewing up what is a legendary career. Winning a sixth buts him into the upper echeleon. Not that he isn't already there. It's been a blessing Timmy!

lefty
10-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Damn Timmay

That 1st half of game 1 vs the NYK in 1999... I still remember it

Tim was at the FT line towards the end of the 2nd quarter and they showed his stats; I knew he was having a good game, but I didn't realize that he already had 19 pts and 10 rbds

Damn

spurspokesman
10-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Tim is world class and I hope he goes out happy as can be. ' Til the wheels fall off'.:toast

manufan10
10-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Man, it's going to be strange the day Timmy decides to hang 'em up and retire. They say life goes on, but it's going to be difficult without the key cornerstone of this franchise. :cry :depressed

Dex
10-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Honestly? If you told me 5 years ago that he'd be playing the 2014-2015 season, I'd have laughed in your face. He's done an amazing job of caring for and improving his body.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's easy to watch Tim play and consider his passion for the game and say, "Man, this guy has a few good years left."

Then you hear Duncan talk about his career and the journey and just appreciating what he has left...it makes you realize that these are definitely the twilight years, and we don't know how long they are going to last.

This very well could be the last season we see Tim Duncan lace them up. Enjoy every minute of it, Spurs fans.

slick'81
10-03-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm tired of praising Timmy but damn dude is greatness

spurraider21
10-03-2014, 03:01 PM
that interview made it sound like this is his last run. hopefully i'm just misinterpreting it

Splits
10-03-2014, 03:30 PM
that interview made it sound like this is his last run. hopefully i'm just misinterpreting it

If the Spurs go b2b and he is pretty much injury free this season, I can't see him passing up the chance to 3peat. But barring that, yeah... :depressed

Spurs21Fan4Ever
10-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Anybody who hates Duncan is not a fan of basketball. I don't ever want to see him retire, but he will and he will soon. Nothing I want to see more than Tim announce that he will retire during the middle of the season, then the Spurs make the Finals. Against LeBron and the Cavs, Spurs continue to show their incredible teamwork that is unstoppable, and Tim is the cornerstone of the work ethic and attitude of the team. As the Spurs are close to winning their 2nd (maybe 3rd?) title and Timmy's 6th (or 7th?) in the AT&T Center, Pop subs out every starter. Out goes Manu to cheers, out goes Parker to cheers, out goes Kawhi to cheers. Then play goes back on, and there is Timmy with the scrubs. One more possession, the Pop calls one finale timeout to sub Duncan. He slowly walks off the court, as the AT&T Center is louder than it's ever been before. The crowd, the players, the coaches, just staring at the legend, as he walks off of the court one final time. The end to his career has come to an end, the end to one of the greatest legacies in basketball history has also come to an end. While I never want to see him leave, if he leaves that way, it'll ease the sting. That's the way Duncan deserves to go out.

Chinook
10-03-2014, 09:30 PM
I think he's almost done from a mental standpoint. Physically, he can still get it done. But he wants to spend time with his kids and his other hobbies. If Tim has a year he's proud of, I think he hangs them up. If he has another year like 2013 where he just misses a chance at another ring, he may stay.

pgardn
10-03-2014, 10:34 PM
It's gotta be hard to quit when you know you are still better than most of the guys you face. We really need to give him multiple games off. Let him stay home with the kids on a road trip and such while keeping the hunger alive. Lie about injuries so we don't get fined.

He is close to becoming THE freak athlete that stays top level due to proper time management and a healthy lifestyle.

exstatic
10-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Anybody who hates Duncan is not a fan of basketball. I don't ever want to see him retire, but he will and he will soon. Nothing I want to see more than Tim announce that he will retire during the middle of the season, then the Spurs make the Finals. Against LeBron and the Cavs, Spurs continue to show their incredible teamwork that is unstoppable, and Tim is the cornerstone of the work ethic and attitude of the team. As the Spurs are close to winning their 2nd (maybe 3rd?) title and Timmy's 6th (or 7th?) in the AT&T Center, Pop subs out every starter. Out goes Manu to cheers, out goes Parker to cheers, out goes Kawhi to cheers. Then play goes back on, and there is Timmy with the scrubs. One more possession, the Pop calls one finale timeout to sub Duncan. He slowly walks off the court, as the AT&T Center is louder than it's ever been before. The crowd, the players, the coaches, just staring at the legend, as he walks off of the court one final time. The end to his career has come to an end, the end to one of the greatest legacies in basketball history has also come to an end. While I never want to see him leave, if he leaves that way, it'll ease the sting. That's the way Duncan deserves to go out.

Tim never announced a thing in his life. Even at Wake, he never announced that he was returning each year. The deadline would just pass, and Tim wouldn't declare for the draft.

If there is one thing he would absolutely hate, it would be a Jeter-style tour. Tim will simply finish a season, tell the Spurs that he's done, and they will make an announcement. We won't know he's gone until he actually is. THAT'S why you need to appreciate him.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
10-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Tim never announced a thing in his life. Even at Wake, he never announced that he was returning each year. The deadline would just pass, and Tim wouldn't declare for the draft.

If there is one thing he would absolutely hate, it would be a Jeter-style tour. Tim will simply finish a season, tell the Spurs that he's done, and they will make an announcement. We won't know he's gone until he actually is. THAT'S why you need to appreciate him.
Oh I know, but it would be fun for the fans for sure. I know for a fact he won't announce his retirement during the season, it'll be after the season.

Sean Cagney
10-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Dammit, I still haven't let myself come to the realization that Tim's career is almost over. Don't leave us Tim, never leave us. :cry

The day he retires is going to be a sad sad day for us, basically the end of our title runs for a while until we get another Tim or D Rob which is RARE.

IF you told me when he looked spent and DONE in 011 playoffs that we would go to the WCF and he would resurge AGAIN TO back to back finals appearances after that I would have said yeah get off the drugs with that prediction! Well 012 WCF, 013 Finals, 014 Finals win, DAMN. That is an incredible run for any athlete at any age to do that! Truly special.

Spurs 4 The Win
10-06-2014, 01:04 AM
IF you told me when he looked spent and DONE in 011 playoffs that we would go to the WCF and he would resurge AGAIN TO back to back finals appearances after that I would have said yeah get off the drugs with that prediction! Well 012 WCF, 013 Finals, 014 Finals win, DAMN. That is an incredible run for any athlete at any age to do that! Truly special.

This shit right here, How is it the Heat get a pass for being "tired" :cry from long postseasons when we were considered older and had 3 consecutive deep runs, fuckin media

Sean Cagney
10-06-2014, 03:02 AM
This shit right here, How is it the Heat get a pass for being "tired" :cry from long postseasons when we were considered older and had 3 consecutive deep runs, fuckin media

But wait! Did their guys play summers? But but but they had runs deep! They were gassed! Although they went through cupcakes in the East for the first two rounds all those years :lol. I agree with you man, dead on there. They were not as tired as our guys I am betting and last year injuries? Manu was banged up and had to rest after the season, Patty was torn up as well as Tony banged up! They still won! Parker played all summer as well before that. You are correct, good point there.

sananspursfan21
10-06-2014, 05:04 PM
I've got that funny choked up feeling in my neck just reading this stuff. This will be the first thing since age 8 I will cry about that doesn't involve a death :'(