PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: Should Westbrook switch to full to SG?

100%duncan
10-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Let's face it the dude is just listed as a PG but plays more like an sg, he can attack when he wants, he can shoot the three, has an elite midrange jumper, and can get to the line easily.

I'm not sure if this will help the Thunder though.

benstanfield
10-03-2014, 11:11 AM
It would make sense if they had someone like Mills or Beverly at PG that didn't need the ball in their hand. Playing Jackson alongside Westbrook and Durant for most of the game is just wasting his ability as a creator.

100%duncan
10-03-2014, 11:13 AM
It would make sense if they had someone like Mills or Beverly at PG that didn't need the ball in their hand. Playing Jackson alongside Westbrook and Durant for most of the game is just wasting his ability as a creator.

That's what I thought so too, they need a reliable pass first PG in the starting line up if they were to make this move. Jackson coming off the bench can be a lethal 6th man PG and the Thunder will surely improve. But their roster's a mess right now.

Dex
10-03-2014, 11:57 AM
That would imply that Westbrook could learn to play without the ball in his hands.

Killakobe81
10-03-2014, 12:06 PM
That's what I thought so too, they need a reliable pass first PG in the starting line up if they were to make this move. Jackson coming off the bench can be a lethal 6th man PG and the Thunder will surely improve. But their roster's a mess right now.

I wouldnt call it a mess. But I would say anyone would agree the HArden/Perk situation was a fiasco. They could have amnestied Perk and convinced Harden to stay. They were truly at their best with him creating in pnr and getting easy buckets for Those two and even Collison who sets great screens. Does Harden develop the same on offense? Maybe not. but if you assume thet Russ would have still gotten hurt he would have had every opportunity. Harden was never meant to be a #! look at how he shines EVERYTIME he is in a #3 type role: OKC and FIBA he looks like a MUCH better player.

As for Russ even though SG is a shitty position right now ...much of the things that make him a nightmare are the advantages he has over his PG peers. I dont think he needs a pass first, PG or that he needs to switch spots. He would thrive with a good shooter at that spot (SG) who could knock down the 3's he creates. and can also create open lanes for Russ to drive with the spacing. Beal would be a perfect fit as would Klay Thompson. Klay can also pass and defense so he would help a great deal. Posistions aren't as important as chemistry and "fits".

Spometimes spurs are at their best when Manu creates (like a PG ) and Tony takes advantage of the pressure he places on the defense with his drives and vision to punish the defense in bad rotations.

Killakobe81
10-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Manu even at this advanced age would be a perfect fit next to Russ ... even better than Beal because he is a better creator.

spurraider21
10-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Westbrook is fine at point guard. he's gotten better at it every year

hooperflash
10-04-2014, 05:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QkfKVLFh3M