PDA

View Full Version : Hardest position to play in football/NFL?

Jeff Van Gundy
10-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Which position do you guys think is the hardest to play in the NFL. I would hate to play cornerback in the NFL especially with the stricter pass interference penalties. Of course the QB position will get the most scrunity and basically runs the offense.

Aztecfan03
10-03-2014, 12:13 PM
if i had played and had the training, my best shot would probably be at CB. For me, the hardest would be anywhere on the O-line or defensive tackle. (at DE i could at leats try to run around the OT's)

DeadlyDynasty
10-03-2014, 12:17 PM
QB
C
WLB - so much responsibility in today's NFL, can't be a liability in coverage
NT - you're either good or invisible

Jeff Van Gundy
10-03-2014, 12:21 PM
if i had played and had the training, my best shot would probably be at CB. For me, the hardest would be anywhere on the O-line or defensive tackle. (at DE i could at leats try to run around the OT's)
From what I hear is that you basically have to predict where your receiver is going (watch his foot movements) and watch the qb's eyes. It just seems insane to try to stop someone from trying to catch the ball without having alot of contact.

DeadlyDynasty
10-03-2014, 12:30 PM
From what I hear is that you basically have to predict where your receiver is going (watch his foot movements) and watch the qb's eyes. It just seems insane to try to stop someone from trying to catch the ball without having alot of contact.
If you're a Seahawk DB you can have a handful of jersey to help guide you

The Gemini Method
10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
If you're a Seahawk DB you can have a handful of jersey to help guide you Salty fuck :cry. I would say RT--because you basically are responsible for keeping your QB alive and it is a less-than-heralded position that is vital but you don't get the glamour as a QB or WR but you get alllll the blame if you're a shit tackle and it's not easy going up against the D's best pass rusher most of the time. QB is an obvious choice and Center is another position that is vital that you have a decent player manning that spot.

Jeff Van Gundy
10-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Salty fuck :cry. I would say RT--because you basically are responsible for keeping your QB alive and it is a less-than-heralded position that is vital but you don't get the glamour as a QB or WR but you get alllll the blame if you're a shit tackle and it's not easy going up against the D's best pass rusher most of the time. QB is an obvious choice and Center is another position that is vital that you have a decent player manning that spot.
:tu

What position do you think is the hardest to play on defense?

DeadlyDynasty
10-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Salty fuck :cry. I would say RT--because you basically are responsible for keeping your QB alive and it is a less-than-heralded position that is vital but you don't get the glamour as a QB or WR but you get alllll the blame if you're a shit tackle and it's not easy going up against the D's best pass rusher most of the time. QB is an obvious choice and Center is another position that is vital that you have a decent player manning that spot.
Yeah, you're thinking LT. RT is where they hide their shit lineman so the QB can anticipate what's coming

Jeff Van Gundy
10-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Yeah, you're thinking LT. RT is where they hide their shit lineman so the QB can anticipate what's coming
Lol you are right, that's their blind side. Yeah that is a pretty tough position.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-03-2014, 12:56 PM
I've played every position from mighty might to high school and I'd have to say LB is the toughest. A lot of responsibility

Clipper Nation
10-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Any position on defense, now that it's basically not allowed....

The Gemini Method
:tu

What position do you think is the hardest to play on defense?

I'm going to go with 3 spots on D--NT another unheralded spot but if you have any hope of being a top-10 D, you have to have a load at Nose Tackle. Even in this pass-friendly era, you have to take away the option of running through the middle and getting the 3-5 yard bursts that keep 3rd down manageable. FS - you can have average corners if you have an elite to good Free Safety. He can cover your behind when you're in zone and if you get beat he'll be able to recover. See how dominant the Ravens' D was with a prime Ed Reed? That defense had ok corners but with a hall of famer backing you up, you're going to perform at a higher rate. See how the Saints have struggled with a subpar Jairus Byrd and how the Seahawks are so dominant in the backfield is because it starts with Earl Thomas the III. The third hardest would be CB. If you don't have the luxury of an Ed Reed or ETIII, you have to be dominant. You have to be a Sherman, Peterson, Haden, Revis, or Talib. You don't have that luxury so your cover skills whether in a zone or man-to-man have to be top notch. Now, you're going to get burned time for time, but you have to let it go on the next series or play. You are basically the last defense against a WR streaking for the end zone so you have to be both athletic and intelligent to man the CB position.

The Gemini Method

Yeah LT I am left handed so I think RT.

Clipper Nation
10-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Lol you are right, that's their blind side. Yeah that is a pretty tough position.
Not necessarily true anymore in today's league:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/29/examining-pressure-are-left-tackles-overvalued/

The Gemini Method
10-03-2014, 01:06 PM
For the 1.5 years I played hs football, I manned the weakside linebacker position and it was fun. Not as glamorous as the Mike LB position but it is pretty hard to play if you are facing a read-option or, in my day the wishbone/option/t-wing offense then you are responsible for the QB, Wing Back, and Tail Back and their tendencies.

Avante
10-03-2014, 05:07 PM
This isn't even a debate/argument, it's....cornerback. You have to be able to run with 4.3 guys and tackle 230 pounders.

The best athletes on any football team are the cornerbacks.

Jeff Van Gundy
10-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Wow, something that Avante and I agree on. But there are some good arguments in this thread on other positions that I didn't even think about. And TGM has some good arguments, enjoy reading his analysis. :tu

rogues
10-05-2014, 07:22 PM
I've played every position from mighty might to high school and I'd have to say LB is the toughest. A lot of responsibility
:lol You liar..a cat loving fiend like yourself could never play football..even on a subvarsity level..

This isn't even a debate/argument, it's....cornerback. You have to be able to run with 4.3 guys and tackle 230 pounders.

The best athletes on any football team are the cornerbacks.

Wow, something that Avante and I agree on. But there are some good arguments in this thread on other positions that I didn't even think about. And TGM has some good arguments, enjoy reading his analysis. :tu
Agreed..

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Cornerback is tough. I played WR/DB throughout High School. Typically though, you can contain a receiver by playing back on coverage. If you miss your assignment playing LB, it's an automatic big gain or TD.

lefty
10-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Easily black QB

spurraider21
10-05-2014, 08:53 PM
if Meow played DB/WR throughout high school i can see why he thought linebacker was hard. he wasn't physically up for it. i'm sure you would have found NT to be difficult too

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-05-2014, 09:11 PM
if Meow played DB/WR throughout high school i can see why he thought linebacker was hard. he wasn't physically up for it. i'm sure you would have found NT to be difficult too

Different stages of my career, tbh..

I played D-Line when I was in Pee Wee, etc. LB when I was a bit older. WR/DB through middle-high school

JoeTait75
10-05-2014, 09:24 PM
QB and DB. I played safety in HS ("played" is putting it a little strongly; I was strictly special teams on the varsity and was basically a human victory cigar at my actual position) and not only do you have to cover in space, but you also have to deal with OL who outweigh you by 70-80 pounds and have a 5-10 yard head of steam when they pull around on you. That's a tough deal.

Even though I was small (5'7", 155) I always felt more comfortable close to the LOS. I used to play some middle guard in practice and being built low to the ground and reasonably quick off the ball it was tough for those big OL to get a bead on me.

spurraider21
10-05-2014, 09:38 PM
free safety covers the most area, and you have to have a crazy amount of instinct, otherwise you're left out of the play.