PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder to appreciate what we have.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
10-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Random thread, but I sit here and am reminded at how special what the Spurs have is. In all sports, it's so rare to see your favorite team win a championship, but at SA, we've seen 5, and we're incredibly lucky. Last night, I watched my Oregon Ducks get beat up by an inferior opponent and now the program is in shambles, and it's clear since Chip Kelly's departure that Oregon probably wont be a national title contender anytime soon. As that happens, it just reminds me that what the Spurs have done and given to their fans is just incredible. I can't express how lucky I am that my older brother randomly became a Spurs fan while in Eugene, OR, because they drafted David Robinson. That caused me to naturally be a fan, and when Tim Duncan was drafted, it was love at first sight for me. There are plenty of other teams my brother could've jumped on the bandwagon on as a very young kid, but he chose the Spurs, and boy was it a great decision. Just wanted to express how lucky we are to have a team like SA. A team that wins championship, and does it with the most class of any team in any sport. Thank God for Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs. A championship is hard to come by, but 5? That's something very special.

lefty
10-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Ok

Embedded
10-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Well said

BatManu20
10-03-2014, 10:36 PM
NO IT'S NOT ENOUGH UNLESS WE GET 6 OTHERWISE IT'S ALL A WASTE IMO

exstatic
10-03-2014, 10:37 PM
NO IT'S NOT ENOUGH UNLESS WE GET 6 OTHERWISE IT'S ALL A WASTE IMO

You're a retard.

BatManu20
10-03-2014, 10:40 PM
You're a retard.

And you can't seem to pick up on blatantly obvious sarcasm. Congrats :bobo

wildcardX
10-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I still go back and watch parts of the Miami series or the championship celebration at least once a week. I was wondering if I would get to see them win another title in the Tony, Manu, Timmy era and I enjoy this one the most. The Spurs have ben an enjoyable team to watch for as long as I can remember and I've been a fan since the 80's. I've been a Chargers fan for about the same length but they have yet to win their first Super Bowl.

TrueSpursFan
10-04-2014, 12:22 AM
And you can't seem to pick up on blatantly obvious sarcasm. Congrats :bobo

not in blue text so nope

spurraider21
10-04-2014, 04:06 AM
You're a retard.

He's starting to "get it", and know where to be. He's also the fastest big man we've had since prime DRob.

:lmao

Robz4000
10-04-2014, 04:32 AM
http://oi41.tinypic.com/fw0kjn.jpg

exstatic
10-04-2014, 06:16 AM
UZc3uq56JKU

Prose
10-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Random thread, but I sit here and am reminded at how special what the Spurs have is. In all sports, it's so rare to see your favorite team win a championship, but at SA, we've seen 5, and we're incredibly lucky. Last night, I watched my Oregon Ducks get beat up by an inferior opponent and now the program is in shambles, and it's clear since Chip Kelly's departure that Oregon probably wont be a national title contender anytime soon. As that happens, it just reminds me that what the Spurs have done and given to their fans is just incredible. I can't express how lucky I am that my older brother randomly became a Spurs fan while in Eugene, OR, because they drafted David Robinson. That caused me to naturally be a fan, and when Tim Duncan was drafted, it was love at first sight for me. There are plenty of other teams my brother could've jumped on the bandwagon on as a very young kid, but he chose the Spurs, and boy was it a great decision. Just wanted to express how lucky we are to have a team like SA. A team that wins championship, and does it with the most class of any team in any sport. Thank God for Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs. A championship is hard to come by, but 5? That's something very special.

TampaDude
10-05-2014, 11:46 PM
The Spurs have been so good for so long, we've been spoiled.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Spurs21Fan4Ever
10-06-2014, 12:06 AM
UZc3uq56JKU

Thanks for sharing! That was a real treat. A legendary legacy indeed.

Sean Cagney
10-06-2014, 12:56 AM
The Spurs have been so good for so long, we've been spoiled.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

We are very very spoiled, infact I still don't realize how spoiled we are! When it is over with and done with I will sit back and reflect and say damn what a run.

Solid D
10-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Spurs21Fan4Ever, thanks for sharing some of your story. You're absolutely right! This has been an amazing run!

ceperez
10-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Yes a very long run.

The last championship was the sweetest. It took so many fruitless years with the retirement of good backups like Horry and Bowen, only to have inadequate replacements for so long. I've always worried that the time had past the Spurs with other superstar like Lebron and Durant becoming more skilled in their craft. Fortunately, the Spurs were smart enough to trade for Leonard and develop him into an all-star player. Fortunately, Duncan discovered the fountain of youth. Fortunately, the Spurs were able to re-invent themselves from a purely defensive team into one with a radical high scoring offense.

It's just crazy that you used to have a Spurs team that would try to lower the amount of possessions to one that one that is the complete opposite.

Spur-Addict
10-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Every now and then someone posts a thread like this. They're all the same, tiresome really. :rolleyes

mudyez
10-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Same here: I became a Spurs fan just because of pure luck.

German TV broadcasted a lot of Spurs games because of Dennis Rodman. I didn't like him, but fell in love with Sean and David. It was between Golden State (Run TMC) and the Spurs at that time and I made the right choice baybe just because of one or two good regular season games of The Admiral.

What a run it has been since then!?! We are really blessed!

...and in about 48 hours I'm going to see them for the first time (Sean/Gervin maybe earlier).

Vic Petro
10-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Every now and then someone posts a thread like this. They're all the same, tiresome really. :rolleyes

Yes, someone please start another Tony vs. Manu thread so we can have some fresh content.

mudyez
10-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Yes, someone please start another Tony vs. Manu thread so we can have some fresh content.

Only if someone photoshops Manu+Tony into this picture...

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6400000/Jacob-VS-Edward-twilight-series-6410005-560-834.jpg

Spur-Addict
10-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Get off me child's play.

Solid D
10-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Well, I can somewhat see having your point of view. In the grand scheme of things...there are more important things for which we should show appreciation and gratitude! Right? A place to call home. Food to eat on a somewhat regular basis. Perhaps a job or welfare system to provide some income. Reasonably good health. Maybe some good music or great works of art. These things may not necessarily apply for each person reading this, but these are some of the more important things to consider. Showing appreciation for a basketball team may pale in comparison to some other life choices and provisions. Therefore, when several community message boards or threads declare appreciation for a local basketball team like the Spurs, it might get tiresome to a few souls. Yeah, I can see how you might feel tired of the repetition about the team you follow and support, Spur-Addict.

hitmantb
10-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Same here: I became a Spurs fan just because of pure luck.

German TV broadcasted a lot of Spurs games because of Dennis Rodman. I didn't like him, but fell in love with Sean and David. It was between Golden State (Run TMC) and the Spurs at that time and I made the right choice baybe just because of one or two good regular season games of The Admiral.

What a run it has been since then!?! We are really blessed!

...and in about 48 hours I'm going to see them for the first time (Sean/Gervin maybe earlier).

Wow that is exactly how I fell in love with the Spurs, 1995 David/Sean. Glad I didn't have to suffer for long before the first title!

Back on topic, anything this year is just extra bonus for me. My life as a sports fan was complete when Duncan defeated LeBron for a second time, in the twilight of his career. The scar is gone and I will just enjoy this season with nothing to lose. Nothing comes even close to game 6, 2013, so whatever happens, happens.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
10-06-2014, 09:40 PM
I guess what made me want to start a thread is because as I said before, I'm in Eugene. There are like 5 other Spurs fans and 4 of those somehow moved from SA to Eugene. All of my friends are Oregon Duck fans and Blazers fans. There are ranges of NFL teams all around, some Lakers fans and other things like that, but a large majority rely heavily on the Blazers and Ducks, and most of them weren't alive to see the lone championship for the Blazers. I of course was very upset after seeing Oregon's national title hopes demolished yet again last week, but I almost felt worse for my friends who never got to enjoy a championship like I did with the Spurs. Some are Seahawks fans so there is that, but regardless, nothing is like seeing your favorite team win a championship in the sports world, and until you experience that, you feel like your sports world is empty. I do envy college football fans whose teams have won a national championship, but the Spurs have given me enough joy to be thankful and more spoiled than most other sports fans around.

wildcardX
10-06-2014, 11:20 PM
For as long as I was a Spurs fan I only vaguely remember a couple of seasons when the Spurs were a bad team. I think maybe two seasons in the mid 80's when Alvin Robertson was their main player. Other than that they were a playoff caliber team and I don't even count the year before Duncan was drafted because guys were injured that year. I'm very glad to be a fan of this team.

Dingle Barry
10-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Oregon has more money than god and garish uniforms; they'll be in hunt annually.

DJR210
10-07-2014, 01:36 AM
This fool is a happy/crying drunk I see

Spur-Addict
10-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Well, I can somewhat see having your point of view. In the grand scheme of things...there are more important things for which we should show appreciation and gratitude! Right? A place to call home. Food to eat on a somewhat regular basis. Perhaps a job or welfare system to provide some income. Reasonably good health. Maybe some good music or great works of art. These things may not necessarily apply for each person reading this, but these are some of the more important things to consider. Showing appreciation for a basketball team may pale in comparison to some other life choices and provisions. Therefore, when several community message boards or threads declare appreciation for a local basketball team like the Spurs, it might get tiresome to a few souls. Yeah, I can see how you might feel tired of the repetition about the team you follow and support, Spur-Addict.

It's more about the general concept that the majority of people following the team have an appreciation for what they've done since their inception. I have a lot of respect for the fan base for the most part, so I assume this as a basic aspect of most Spur fans. Some don't perhaps, and maybe they need some kind of do-gooder reminder, so why frown upon the positive? So, it seems a little redundant, but there's nothing wrong with redundancy I guess. Some people like to sit around camp fires and reminisce and hug each other and think about the good times, I'm just not that type of person. And it wouldn't be terrible if it didn't happen periodically throughout the year several times, and I guess I could've just decided to not respond. But this time I did, and it's my opinion.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, and I can understand that point of view. We are a gracious bunch, but, have some dignity. There's a point at which being overly gracious removes it, IMO.

10-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Didn't we have enough of these threads from 07-13?

lefty
10-07-2014, 10:18 AM
http://oi41.tinypic.com/fw0kjn.jpg
:lol

Spurs21Fan4Ever
10-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Oregon has more money than god and garish uniforms; they'll be in hunt annually.
Coaches mean more than money, which is why the Spurs are elite and the ducks aren't.

superbigtime
10-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Mot Spurs fans take it all for granted. It' hard not to.