PDA

View Full Version : Last possession: Give the ball to Boris Diaw

hyhy
10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxT10XO2Zfg

I mean, take a look at this. Good things happen when Diaw posts up. One of the best passers in the game, and able to post up anyone who defends him without help. Double team = open 3 for us.
We have seen parker end the games but its always a contested layup or a forced jumper because they put their best defender on him.
Manu closes games often but he is too prone to turnovers.
Why not let Diaw post up for the last possession if they are going to have isolations anyway.

EVAY
10-04-2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxT10XO2Zfg

I mean, take a look at this. Good things happen when Diaw posts up. One of the best passers in the game, and able to post up anyone who defends him without help. Double team = open 3 for us.
We have seen parker end the games but its always a contested layup or a forced jumper because they put their best defender on him.
Manu closes games often but he is too prone to turnovers.
Why not let Diaw post up for the last possession if they are going to have isolations anyway.

Hey, I think the world of Boris, and honestly believe that he had a damn good case for being Finals MVP last year. Not that I'm sorry that Kawhi won it...it is just that Boris is that impressive and was that important for us in that series.

Having said all of that, your recognition that Tony and Manu have good defenders and lots of pressure on them when they have the ball at the end of the game is the reason that your suggestion may not work. In other words, if Boris is consistently the 'go to' guy for us at the end of games, then the scouting reports pick up on that and he will draw far more defensive pressure than he did last year.

One (and only one) of the reasons the Spurs were so hard to defend last year is that at the end of games, everybody on the court could handle the ball and could score. There was no place that the opposing team could hide a poor defender or a missed defensive assignment without getting burned.

You are absolutely right that Boris is a superb ball handler. In fact, I believe that he is the second best ball handler on the team, behind Manu. I think he is better than Parker and Duncan at this point, both of whom are also terrific ball handlers.

The bottom line on all of this is that with the four above mentioned guys on the floor at once, combined with Leonard (whose ball handling skills improved massively last year over the year before), what is a defense going to do? That is why we are so good, and so hard to defend.

Boris is terrific, and I hope to see him play more and be as aggressive this year as he was in the playoffs last year. But make no mistake - if that happens, teams will start to pay a ton more attention to him, at which point someone else will be in the position to end the game. But it is all good in that situation - because we'll win!!!

spursparker9
10-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Boris 2.0 !!!

KL2
10-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Either him or Leonard. It all comes down to size, Parker isn't big enough to get you a quality shot at the end, no PG is, it's always some low % contested jumper or a highly contested lay up. Manu used to be clutch but he's done, contested step back fade away jumpers, and turn overs. Just look at CP3 on the final play against OKC.

Give it to the big guys. I just worry about Diaw's nervousness, there were times in the finals where he missed easy rebounds and shots, often fumbling with the ball, you could see the anxiety he has (which is probably why he's had some mental blocks in the nba).

100%duncan
10-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Why have a go to guy when all 5 in the floor can kill the opposing team? :D

hyhy
10-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Why have a go to guy when all 5 in the floor can kill the opposing team? :D

No idea why, I rather we have a set play at the end, but Pop prefers it to be one-on-one on last possessions.
I think it differs in different situation. When we are down 1 or 2, we have a set play and make a play. When we are tied or up by 1 or 2, we go into isolations for Tony or Manu.
Maybe thats just coz isolations basically has a lower chance of turnover, it will just be a bad shot. So what I am saying is that we have Diaw for the isolation instead. I dun really think anybody in the league can guard him 1 on 1 because he is that unique. Too quick to be guarded by post players and too big to be guarded by guards. If its a one on one I think he stands a much higher chance of shooting a good shot. If anyone double teams he has the IQ to pass to the open man every single time.

hyhy
10-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Hey, I think the world of Boris, and honestly believe that he had a damn good case for being Finals MVP last year. Not that I'm sorry that Kawhi won it...it is just that Boris is that impressive and was that important for us in that series.

Having said all of that, your recognition that Tony and Manu have good defenders and lots of pressure on them when they have the ball at the end of the game is the reason that your suggestion may not work. In other words, if Boris is consistently the 'go to' guy for us at the end of games, then the scouting reports pick up on that and he will draw far more defensive pressure than he did last year.

One (and only one) of the reasons the Spurs were so hard to defend last year is that at the end of games, everybody on the court could handle the ball and could score. There was no place that the opposing team could hide a poor defender or a missed defensive assignment without getting burned.

You are absolutely right that Boris is a superb ball handler. In fact, I believe that he is the second best ball handler on the team, behind Manu. I think he is better than Parker and Duncan at this point, both of whom are also terrific ball handlers.

The bottom line on all of this is that with the four above mentioned guys on the floor at once, combined with Leonard (whose ball handling skills improved massively last year over the year before), what is a defense going to do? That is why we are so good, and so hard to defend.

Boris is terrific, and I hope to see him play more and be as aggressive this year as he was in the playoffs last year. But make no mistake - if that happens, teams will start to pay a ton more attention to him, at which point someone else will be in the position to end the game. But it is all good in that situation - because we'll win!!!

What I am trying to imply is that there is no player in the league that can really defend him well.
You can defend Tony or manu by putting long athletic players on them.
But for Diaw he is just so unique. refer to ^ post.

100%duncan
10-04-2014, 10:53 AM
No idea why, I rather we have a set play at the end, but Pop prefers it to be one-on-one on last possessions.
I think it differs in different situation. When we are down 1 or 2, we have a set play and make a play. When we are tied or up by 1 or 2, we go into isolations for Tony or Manu.
Maybe thats just coz isolations basically has a lower chance of turnover, it will just be a bad shot. So what I am saying is that we have Diaw for the isolation instead. I dun really think anybody in the league can guard him 1 on 1 because he is that unique. Too quick to be guarded by post players and too big to be guarded by guards. If its a one on one I think he stands a much higher chance of shooting a good shot. If anyone double teams he has the IQ to pass to the open man every single time.

Hmm, what are the games you thought of when you said Pop prefers oneonone isolation final possessions? I can only think of the manu fadeaway stepback in game 6 which you are right with the reason is that Pop didnt want to risk a turnover. But the Spurs hardly goes for these kinds of plays tbh, Pop usually draws up a play even just a simple pnr. I get your point though a lethal ballhandler and passer in Boris can make the final defense of the opposing team quite a living hell.

hyhy
10-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Hmm, what are the games you thought of when you said Pop prefers oneonone isolation final possessions? I can only think of the manu fadeaway stepback in game 6 which you are right with the reason is that Pop didnt want to risk a turnover. But the Spurs hardly goes for these kinds of plays tbh, Pop usually draws up a play even just a simple pnr. I get your point though a lethal ballhandler and passer in Boris can make the final defense of the opposing team quite a living hell.

Just basically all the games where we are tied with one possession left. Cant really find which games tho but I guess we can look at all the overtime games..
Yup, its either an iso, or a PnR at the top. I am just thinking that a Diaw postup would be better then either of these options.

Kabals
10-04-2014, 11:27 AM
During the World Cup we could see that Diaw is very turnover prone when he is the primary ball handler, he had a 1:1 assist/to ratio (and most of his assist was when he was used a second playmaker much like what Spurs did against Miami).

ace3g
10-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Diaw 2.0 and Operation Post up (Diaw and Kawhi) were a huge reason why the Spurs won last year; great wrinkle in the offense.

hyhy
10-04-2014, 12:19 PM
During the World Cup we could see that Diaw is very turnover prone when he is the primary ball handler, he had a 1:1 assist/to ratio (and most of his assist was when he was used a second playmaker much like what Spurs did against Miami).

Diaw dun have spurs teammates who gets to open spots and make their shots during the world cup.
I am not saying primary ball handler, but more of playing in the post. Sort of like how Duncan used to do it last time

wildbill2u
10-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Diaw has yet to prove that he wants the ball to make the decision whether to take the final shot himself or pass. That is a very unique mindset and we all know how frustrated we have been in the past when he gave up shots that were easy. He's gotten better about taking the shot on his own, but I contend that he is best when forced to do so by Manu or someone who passes to him when the double team comes.

Manu is still the best passer against most defenders, and he beats Boris in FT shooting handily. Lots of fouls come at the end of a close game, and Manu has proven time and again that he is nerveless on the FT line in close games. I think the FT advantage is a main reason why Pop puts the ball in his hands on the inbound pass and subsequent playmaking.

cd021
10-04-2014, 01:09 PM
http://youtu.be/_xUUuh792Bk?t=2m51s

Absolutely ridiculous passing at 2:51 against the Bucks by Diaw

anakha
10-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Just basically all the games where we are tied with one possession left. Cant really find which games tho but I guess we can look at all the overtime games..
Yup, its either an iso, or a PnR at the top. I am just thinking that a Diaw postup would be better then either of these options.

Why do you have this impression that the Spurs primarily go for isos and one on one plays in crunchtime or if they are up or down a certain amount? The most memorable crunchtime plays they've had in the recent past were not iso-dependent:

I26HaIvK-UY
OiQwwyHDIx8
LqlZ-55Z6OM
-FaPc-1wcCM

Take note that the game was tied on two of those occasions, so I don't think it's a case of isos when tied or leading either.

Silver&Black
10-04-2014, 04:40 PM
:bobo

hyhy
10-05-2014, 01:04 AM
Why do you have this impression that the Spurs primarily go for isos and one on one plays in crunchtime or if they are up or down a certain amount? The most memorable crunchtime plays they've had in the recent past were not iso-dependent:

I26HaIvK-UY
OiQwwyHDIx8
LqlZ-55Z6OM
-FaPc-1wcCM

Take note that the game was tied on two of those occasions, so I don't think it's a case of isos when tied or leading either.

Well I guess I am unable to prove my point since you cant find highlights of last possession isos and misses.. We shall see next season if we have any!

anakha
10-05-2014, 02:37 AM
Well I guess I am unable to prove my point since you cant find highlights of last possession isos and misses.. We shall see next season if we have any!

Probably the most memorable successful isolation play in recent memory was Parker taking the three over LeBron in the Finals, but IIRC that was due to the original play breaking down.

It could be the case that many of the isolation plays you recall were set plays that devolved into isos when the play broke down.

I'm sure there are analytics sites that have isolation play info available, it's just a matter of tracking them down.

Chinook
10-05-2014, 03:11 AM
The Spurs ISO quite a bit to end games and halves. They've run some kind of PnR a lot in the last couple of years, but before that, Pop loved giving the ball to Duncan in the post or Manu to close the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6843aYXJfMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sfgaAWK7NU

The vids aren't all that easy to find, especially from this era. I do think that if the Big Three were still in their prime, Pop would call more ISOs. It's the best way to control to the clock on a last possession.

Old School 44
10-05-2014, 10:40 AM
ISOs are fine, but you got to mix it up. It's also game and defense dependent. The most versatile player - decision-making, ball handling, passing, shooting and size makes the best ISO guy. That's why Manu is the best at it. Tony's has gotten better at it. Diaw could be great at it. Not that it always ends up this way, but between the three, Tony's isos are more likely to end with him taking the shot, Diaw with him making the pass, but with Manu you just don't know. Again though I'd still mix it up depending on what the defense is showing.