PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Backcourts

Meta
10-04-2014, 10:36 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/jalen-and-jacoby-ranking-the-10-best-backcourts-in-the-nba/

Nice to see Tony and Manu get some props. (Though one of them is significantly better than the other ;) )

I wonder where a Tony-Danny Green, a Manu-Danny Green or a Manu-Patty Mills backcourt would rank. (Tony-Patty is too small IMO)

100%duncan
10-04-2014, 10:48 AM
What's their rank? the vids are so long tbh and I wont waste my time listening to jalen rose :lol

I think TP-DG is better at this point though overall than TP-Manu just because DG can pretty much stop any sg/pg today and has elite three point shooting. Don't get mad at me Manutards, I'm one of you. :lol

Meta
10-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Tony & Manu at 1
Curry and Klay at 2
Bledsoe and Dragic at 3

Honorable mention (Not in top 10) to
Kobe and Nash (The bag is obviously in LA)

100%duncan
10-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Tony & Manu at 1
Curry and Klay at 2

Honorable mention (Not in top 10) to
Kobe and Nash (The bag is obviously in LA)

Wow they got overrated for sure :lol

Richie
10-04-2014, 10:57 AM
What's their rank? the vids are so long tbh and I wont waste my time listening to jalen rose :lol

I think TP-DG is better at this point though overall than TP-Manu just because DG can pretty much stop any sg/pg today and has elite three point shooting. Don't get mad at me Manutards, I'm one of you. :lol

I like Green but he is getting way, way overrated around here. He isn't, nor has he ever been, better than Manu. He has better shooting stats because most of his shots are catch and shoot whereas someone like Manu takes most off the dribble.

A Parker/Green backcourt would likely be ranked around the #6-#8 range, considering Paul/Reddick was #9.

100%duncan
10-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I like Green but he is getting way, way overrated around here. He isn't, nor has he ever been, better than Manu. He has better shooting stats because most of his shots are catch and shoot whereas someone like Manu takes most off the dribble.

A Parker/Green backcourt would likely be ranked around the #6-#8 range, considering Paul/Reddick was #9.

I've never said he's better than Manu tbh but if I wanted a more complete backcourt today I'd take him over Manu. Also I disagree, Green has been shat on repeatedly here myself included and hardly gets recognition from the media for his defense.

Richie
10-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I've never said he's better than Manu tbh but if I wanted a more complete backcourt today I'd take him over Manu. Also I disagree, Green has been shat on repeatedly here myself included and hardly gets recognition from the media for his defense.

I think he got a lot of unwarranted criticism after the 2012 backdoor sweep by OKC, some here labelled him a 'choker', but since then and his record setting shooting in the '13 finals I don't see too much criticism of him.

I agree he is definitely underrated by the national media, although gotta give a shout out to Zach Lowe who gave him a lot of props in his last podcast. Sadly when a player is underrated nationally, certain parts of the fanbase begin to overrate them to compensate.

Meta
10-04-2014, 11:18 AM
I like Danny Green a lot. He has the size, strength and athleticism that is so important in the modern game. He is a great transition defender, one on one defender and plays the passing lanes well. In the playoffs we switch a lot and Danny looks very comfortable guarding elite players 1-3.

He's a lot better on O than people think and if the finals were any indication he is going to put the ball on the floor a bit more (within the constraints of our team game where everyone is pretty good). His shooting is very good though a bit streaky.

He is not an elite (or even a very good) ball handler and needs to be paired with a TP type of point guard.
I'd take him over a Klay or Beverley type any day of the week since I can't see them play on the big stage like we all know Danny can.

hyhy
10-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I think when people talk about the best backcourt, they dun think about defense.
And offensively wise, I dun think theres a better backcourt than tony-Manu. Thats 2 HOF in the backcourt, the main ball-handlers on a team that just won a championship.
How many backcourts can claim that?

wildbill2u
10-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Danny has learned to be a good spot up shooter, I'll give him that.

But I'll give Danny Green more props when he learns to make a layup, the first and most basic shot in the game. In our offense, a guard has to be able to turn the corner in the PNR and take it to the hoop or teams will not respect his move. And he hasn't shown he can use the pick guy to screen for a successful jump shot on his own. He's just too one dimensional on offense to be in a 'great backcourt' selection.

KL2
10-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Danny has learned to be a good spot up shooter, I'll give him that.

But I'll give Danny Green more props when he learns to make a layup, the first and most basic shot in the game. In our offense, a guard has to be able to turn the corner in the PNR and take it to the hoop or teams will not respect his move. And he hasn't shown he can use the pick guy to screen for a successful jump shot on his own. He's just too one dimensional on offense to be in a 'great backcourt' selection.

He did show an improved finishing ability this year, it looks pretty fucked up at times, but it seems to go in... Better than last year anyways.

Prose
10-04-2014, 06:29 PM

bro do you remember when danny was out early in the season? he and kawahi are the difference between 2012 and 2014. Those young athletic wing defenders on our team is exactly what we needed

ElNono
10-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Splash bros are overrated imo

TheGreatYacht
10-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Parker + Mills was better in the playoffs than Manu + Mills

TheGreatYacht
10-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Agree 100% with this statement

Chinook
10-04-2014, 07:07 PM

It's because the media is obsessed with pumping up Klay "Negative RAPM" Thompson as a dominant defender.

Malik Hairston
10-04-2014, 08:54 PM
It's because the media is obsessed with pumping up Klay "Negative RAPM" Thompson as a dominant defender.

Klay Thompson is overrated in every facet, tbh:lol..

I can't remember a media created "star player" that disappears more in big games than Klay Thompson..

apalisoc_9
10-04-2014, 09:01 PM

This.

wildbill2u
10-04-2014, 09:58 PM
It's really funny if you watch the whole 42 minutes. In the beginning they lay out the metrics by which they pick the backcourts and then they start with showing the teams which had the best metrics ratings. Spurs backcourt doesn't appear in those first back court metrics, but when they get to how many conference finals, NBA finals and Championships the Spurs backcourt begins to show up.

Then they began ranking them. starting with #10. I still wasn't sure Manu and Tony were going to be in the top spot until minute 37. I don't think the guys were really into the Spurs winning but their own metrics eventually did them in.

Old School 44
10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Surprised they didn't sneak OKCs Westbrook/Jackson into the top 10, especially since they ranked Parker/Ginobili number 1. (and if I'm not mistaken, the only non-starting backcourt in their top 10 list)

Absolutely, no one even comes close to our four guard rotation of Parker/Green/Ginobili/Mills.