PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bill Simmons is salty, wants out of ESPN for suspension. Trying to get a show on FOX

Thebesteva
10-04-2014, 07:02 PM
:lol Thinking he had immunity at ESPN
:lol Being disowned by the Celtics fan base
:lol Getting owned by Doc Rivers
:lol Doc Rivers

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/VmoCMcwdyu0D3bG7.hzzZQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://globalfinance.zenfs.com/en_us/Finance/US_AFTP_SILICONALLEY_H_LIVE/Industry_Scuttlebutt_Bill_Simmons_Wants-4a712592e4f537f778cffcf4c8f4b5af
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/industry-scuttlebutt-bill-simmons-wants-183748653.html

RD2191
10-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Fuck ESPN, tbh.

Thebesteva
10-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Fuck ESPN, tbh.

Definitely that, ESPN is a joke at this point. I just like that you can get scores from their app. Once it comes to their opinions, I just turn the TV off.

It's always the same shit, guy A supports 1 side and guy B supports the other side and they fight and at the end the winner gets to gloat.

RD2191
10-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Definitely that, ESPN is a joke at this point. I just like that you can get scores from their app. Once it comes to their opinions, I just turn the TV off.

It's always the same shit, guy A supports 1 side and guy B supports the other side and they fight and at the end the winner gets to gloat.
:lolPretty much.

Cry Havoc
10-04-2014, 07:08 PM
PTI is the last good thing ESPN did for the sports world. And even that wasn't great, it was just light-years ahead of anything else they have been putting out.

Thebesteva
10-04-2014, 07:14 PM
PTI is the last good thing ESPN did for the sports world. And even that wasn't great, it was just light-years ahead of anything else they have been putting out.

I still enjoying occasionally watching Stephen A black panther v Awkward white guy Skip Bayless. It's hilarious to see the two clashing stereotypes go at it.

That entire show can be summed up into:

Stephen A: (About any black athlete) That's my man, hes the #1 in the universe, he is the GOAT
Stephen A( on any other race) He's overrated, hes not that great

Clipper Nation
10-04-2014, 07:53 PM
:lol Simmons
:lol Dumb faggot
:lol Thinking his whiny columns about how '80s pop culture references relate to painful Boston sports losses are irreplaceable

Thebesteva
10-04-2014, 08:47 PM
:lol Simmons
:lol Dumb faggot
:lol Thinking his whiny columns about how '80s pop culture references relate to painful Boston sports losses are irreplaceable

I thought ud like him more granted his obsessive hate for Kobe Bryant

Thread
10-04-2014, 08:50 PM
I thought ud like him more granted his obsessive hate for Kobe Bryant

He had to sit there 17 June 2010 and take it. And Daddy gave it to him, Daddy insisted.

lgoV5u2WWJs

spurraider21
10-04-2014, 08:57 PM
^look at MVPau going to work at 0:35

Thread
10-04-2014, 08:58 PM
He had to sit there 17 June 2010 and take it. And Daddy gave it to him, Daddy insisted.

lgoV5u2WWJs

Daddy

Chinook
10-04-2014, 09:06 PM
I like Simmons. But I haven't missed him since his suspension. I pretty much only go to ESPN's Web site for their box scores and gamecasts. Their actual analyses and opinion pieces are ST worthy.

apalisoc_9
10-04-2014, 09:27 PM
I actually like simmons...

Thread
10-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Of course. He carries your water on a semi-regular basis.

InRareForm
10-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Great writer, bad on tv. Whiny voice

spurraider21
10-04-2014, 10:31 PM
he's corny

Thread
10-04-2014, 10:31 PM
"Great writer, bad on tv. Whiny voice"

^

Silver&Black
10-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Only guy I've ever seen that can take a Spurs vs. Heat Finals game and somehow bring up the Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots in a conversation.

spurraider21
10-04-2014, 10:34 PM
"Great writer, bad on tv. Whiny voice"

^
:lol i know... was just pulling his leg after his "spurs fans are corny" thread

i still stand by that opinion. good to know my posts are that memorable to you. thought you'd be having memory loss to accompany your bladder control loss

Thread
10-05-2014, 12:18 AM
:lol i know... was just pulling his leg after his "spurs fans are corny" thread

i still stand by that opinion. good to know my posts are that memorable to you. thought you'd be having memory loss to accompany your bladder control loss

I'm was citing Rare's opinion of Simmons.

spurraider21
10-05-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm was citing Rare's opinion of Simmons.
ah didn't catch. ive made similar remarks about him. love his writing, not a huge fan of him on the screen, though he's better than the standard talking head

Thebesteva
10-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Only guy I've ever seen that can take a Spurs vs. Heat Finals game and somehow bring up the Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots in a conversation.

:lol not to mention how he keeps plugging in Kobe's 6-24 performance thinking hes trolling Laker fans when we laugh at the 2010 series now.

Mao Zedong
10-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Bill Simmons > ESPN

Xylus
10-05-2014, 02:32 PM
I just don't want Grantland to be affected. Best sports and pop culture site on the web

Richie
10-05-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't like ESPN, but Grantland (Simmons, Rose, Lowe etc...) are producing the best NBA content available. Can't wait for Bill and Jalens Season Preview, was awesome last year.

Thread
10-05-2014, 04:47 PM
^Still another piss pot chickenshit from upstairs. I spit on you.

Killakobe81
10-05-2014, 08:03 PM
I do enjoy Grantland the quality of writing from his staff is unrivaled for a sports/pop culture perspective. Not only is Lowe one of the best but Greenwald does excellent work on shows like mas men and Got. Barnwell does a superb job on Nfl

testies
10-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Pretty much what people said here.. Grantland podcasts and videos are entertaining as hell, I don't care for the ESPN show since I don't watch in american soil anyways

Thebesteva
10-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Someone needs to photoshop Simmons face on this meme. You know that faggot is on the phone right now getting rejected by ESPN

http://cdn5.nwgimg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Screen-Shot-2014-08-22-at-12.10.04-AM-550x526.png

elmanutres
10-05-2014, 11:09 PM
didn't he run off magic? and now he's acting like korby in 07 when he wanted out of la

looking alot like kirby

Clipper Nation
10-05-2014, 11:29 PM
I love how people are defending Simmons and acting like he wasn't pretty much asking for a suspension....

Grantland would be 1000 times better without this faggot's involvement....

elmanutres
10-06-2014, 12:14 AM
as long as jalen rose goes along with him i'm fine. both are pretty great in grantland. I think grantland is an espn involved thing.

da_suns_fan
10-06-2014, 12:37 AM
Fuck ESPN.

Fuck Football.

Its a stupid sport for macho assholes who like to relive their high-school days every Sunday. Who gives a shit if an absurd amount of these players wont even be able to remember their playing careers? Have a beer and enjoy this Chevy Silverado commercial.

cd021
10-06-2014, 02:03 AM
Its like he is always trying to make a joke but nothing he says is remotely amusing. That game where ESPN had him and Jalen Rose calling the Spurs @ Lakers game was just terrible, not to mention 4 hours during the draft hearing them.

Jacob1983
10-06-2014, 02:20 AM
One thing that annoys me about is that he tries to come off as a comedian or the comic relief. If you are a sports commentator, you are there to comment on the game and players, not to tell jokes. If you were a great or at least average former player, then yeah you get a pass and can make jokes. People like Charles Barkley have earned that right. Bill Simmons hasn't earned shit.

mudyez
10-06-2014, 04:00 AM
as long as jalen rose goes along with him i'm fine. both are pretty great in grantland. I think grantland is an espn involved thing.

Jalen sucks, but sometimes somehow it works to have a stupid thug like him with guys like Bill or Jacoby.

Thread
10-06-2014, 05:45 AM
One thing that annoys me about is that he tries to come off as a comedian or the comic relief. If you are a sports commentator, you are there to comment on the game and players, not to tell jokes. If you were a great or at least average former player, then yeah you get a pass and can make jokes. People like Charles Barkley have earned that right. Bill Simmons hasn't earned shit.

He ain't earned shit. He's been given the keys to the city by Media because Media is A. Afraid of him. B. Can make a mint off of him. & C. Media is afraid of him. Barkley is a race baiter like the POTUS. I don't like Simmons just like the next asshole in the line, but, we ain't gonna laud Barkley here.

No.

Killakobe81
10-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Jalen sucks, but sometimes somehow it works to have a stupid thug like him with guys like Bill or Jacoby.

i dont get the fascination with Jalen. He is good in podcast form because both simmons and himself are more candid then they would ever be on ESPN/ABC ... but he freaking sucks as a half-time guy. He is corny and comes off as a poor man's stu Scott (back when Sports center was great with Kilborn, Scott, Olberman, Mayne and Patrick). It freaking irks me everytime he talks about a young star and croons shittily, "you may be young but you're REAADDY"!! come on, that is from a Keith Sweat song back in 1988 ...not a bad song... but talk about dated and so freaking corny. Rose is good when being honest like his "uncle tom comment" in the Fab 4 30 for 30.And I dont see why Hill was mad ...that WAS how they looked at the duke black guys in the hood back in the day ... Same way with Battier.

As for Simmons, he called out his employer they reacted. IF he wants to leave ... he should while he still has some leverage. Wouldnt be surprised (if contract allows) him going to SI.com. MMQB is a more focused on sports copy of Grantland. he could do something similar there, but my guess is some of the talent like Lowe who left SI for ESPN won't follow.

Killakobe81
10-06-2014, 07:15 AM
I love how people are defending Simmons and acting like he wasn't pretty much asking for a suspension....

Grantland would be 1000 times better without this faggot's involvement....

Keep in mind that Simmons was doing a podcast. So i think he felt it offered more freedom in that format. and even said that before he went on the offensive (the second and third times). On his podcasts he typically curses more and goes after people more than he does in his mailbag columns.

Another thing that is funny sure he never did it in a profanity-laced tantrum but Simmons has gone after stern quite a bit over the years. Funny how when he attacks the NFL (and his boss) he gets suspended.

I also think it's naive to think it was just about the "dare". He attacked one of ESPN's biggest clients (the NFL) by going after Goodell. Im sure the suspension's length factored that in. My company has a partnership with SIrius/XM if I had a podcast and I took a dump on them Im pretty sure I would hear about it.

manufan10
10-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I think Simmons has run his course. He's gotten long winded in most of his columns lately. He just babbles on and on... most of time it's just tl;dr. As a commentator he's even worse with his whiny nasal sound.