PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich dreads approaching end of Tim Duncan’s career

ace3g
10-05-2014, 10:32 AM
San Antonio Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich dreads approaching end of Tim Duncan’s career
SAN ANTONIO — Whenever the thought pops into his mind, San Antonio Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich tries to quickly remove it and move on, lest he get overly consumed with something that hasn’t happened. But Popovich knows that someday soon — possibly after this season, maybe the next, but soon — he will step onto that practice court on One Spurs Lane and Tim Duncan will not be there to crack a “wise guy little comment” and Popovich won’t reply with a sly rebuttal that only two people with a relationship spanning more than 17 years would understand.

The finish line for one of the most successful player-coach partnerships in the history of professional sports is approaching and so is the angst that comes with its pending conclusion for Popovich.

“When he’s not at practice, I’m going to be little depressed, I think,” Popovich said this week. “It makes me sad. I’m going to miss it an awful lot…I’ll think about it when it happens and it’ll be tough, but until then I’m not going to start being unhappy now.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/10/04/san-antonio-spurs-coach-gregg-popovich-dreads-approaching-end-of-tim-duncans-career/

NickiRasgo
10-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Damn you ace3g. :depressed

Gagnrath
10-05-2014, 10:39 AM
I think everyone who wants the spurs to win and be competitive for titles does..... Who in college looks like a possible replacement? Who in free agency looks like they might be able to be brought in to replace Duncan? Aldridge is the only person who might even come close and the spurs can't afford it. With what is left after Duncan and Manu retire the spurs are not going to be winning lotteries barring significant injuries so the draft doesn't appear hopeful for generation leading big men either.

NickiRasgo
10-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I think everyone who wants the spurs to win and be competitive for titles does..... Who in college looks like a possible replacement? Who in free agency looks like they might be able to be brought in to replace Duncan? Aldridge is the only person who might even come close and the spurs can't afford it. With what is left after Duncan and Manu retire the spurs are not going to be winning lotteries barring significant injuries so the draft doesn't appear hopeful for generation leading big men either.

Hopefully AD. Long shot but hopefully.

Russ
10-05-2014, 10:49 AM
“When he’s not at practice, I’m going to be little depressed, I think,” Popovich said this week. “It makes me sad. I’m going to miss it an awful lot…I’ll think about it when it happens and it’ll be tough, but until then I’m not going to start being unhappy now.”

Translation -- I'll keep coaching even after Duncan's gone.

spursparker9
10-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Timmy mentioned that there is a possibility that he could have some kind of job with the the Spurs after his career right?

Hopefully that will help Pop feels a little better.

EVAY
10-05-2014, 11:25 AM
I thought that Pop's announced multi-year deal probably had something to do with his commitments to the core players...but I wish he hadn't told Kawhi he wouldn't be around for all of his career - it is really quite obvious that he wouldn't likely be - but I hope it doesn't impact Leonard's decision about an extension. Could hardly blame Kawhi if it did...just hoping it doesn't.

mudyez
10-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Translation -- I'll keep coaching even after Duncan's gone.

Thats what I thought as well! :tu

boutons_deux
10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Yeah, sounds like Pop won't be following TD21 out the door.

Also encouraging is how hard and deeply Pop laughed in joy when Silver was handed the mic and said simply ... "Kawhi Leonard".

You'd have to be a seriously sicko masochist to stop running a system, coaching a team with KL on it.

Aremid
10-05-2014, 11:46 AM
" I just think blowing smoke at guys and trying to manipulate guys or trick guys into thinking this, that and the other, it doesn’t work. And it’s tiresome. " subtle dig @ pjax

Galileo
10-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Free throw coach for dudes with big hands???

:married:

Uriel
10-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Pop isn't the only one. :depressed

xmas1997
10-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Yeah, sounds like Pop won't be following TD21 out the door.

Also encouraging is how hard and deeply Pop laughed in joy when Silver was handed the mic and said simply ... "Kawhi Leonard".

You'd have to be a seriously sicko masochist to stop running a system, coaching a team with KL on it.

I agree.

exstatic
10-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I thought that Pop's announced multi-year deal probably had something to do with his commitments to the core players...but I wish he hadn't told Kawhi he wouldn't be around for all of his career - it is really quite obvious that he wouldn't likely be - but I hope it doesn't impact Leonard's decision about an extension. Could hardly blame Kawhi if it did...just hoping it doesn't.

Pop is 65. Do you REALLY expect him to coach another 10-12 years? I'm sure Kawhi doesn't.

littlecoyotecoin
10-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Pop is 65. Do you REALLY expect him to coach another 10-12 years? I'm sure Kawhi doesn't.

He does. He told me he afraid Boylen will succeed.

spursparker9
10-05-2014, 08:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwWpjYsmC6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcPsd_59byc

spursparker9
10-05-2014, 08:59 PM
“I’ve said often, I feel like I’m the most fortunate coach in the league and everybody thinks I’m just giving out psychobabble or whatever, but it’s true. Because that young man [Duncan], we just connected. From the very beginning, when I went to see him on the islands and spent time with him, I got to know who he is at the core and we’ve been very open with each other and laid ourselves out to each other, so it begins with that, I guess.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNnfEy-dY4

EVAY
10-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Of course I don't. That is why I said "it is really quite obvious that he wouldn't likely be" in the above quote. My point was only that I would like Kawhi to stay and if he figures Pop will be gone in two years he may be MORE likely to go elsewhere during the upcoming negotiations. That is all I meant.

spursparker9
10-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Of course I don't. That is why I said "it is really quite obvious that he wouldn't likely be" in the above quote. My point was only that I would like Kawhi to stay and if he figures Pop will be gone in two years he may be MORE likely to go elsewhere during the upcoming negotiations. That is all I meant.

Don't worry, there is Udoka after Pop left.

exstatic
10-05-2014, 09:49 PM

?? Huh? He signed a five year extension. I would imagine that only a serious health issue of some kind would keep him from fulfilling it.

100%duncan
10-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Great article but like Pop I think we all feel the same tbh. Basketball after Duncan is some scary shit.

spurraider21
10-05-2014, 09:58 PM
?? Huh? He signed a five year extension. I would imagine that only a serious health issue of some kind would keep him from fulfilling it.
they actually said 5 years? i just remember "multi-year." i might've missed somethin

EVAY
10-06-2014, 09:30 AM

I never saw that it was 5 years anywhere. Do you have a link for that? Because all I ever saw was a verification that it was more than 1 year, and speculation that it was for 5 years....but I sure missed any confirmation that the new contract is for that long. I think you might want to re-check that...or, you could just keep acting incredulous that someone writes something with which you disagree. Up to you, of course.

dg7md
10-06-2014, 09:41 AM
At least this confirms Pop will be our coach for the next long while...

Daniel Sedin
10-06-2014, 09:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcPsd_59byc

:lol Duncan may not talk, but he's a true OG nigga, tbh..

The refs ignore him talking and tries to pass him the ball, Duncan says "go get that shit and listen now bitch"

Mel_13
10-06-2014, 09:50 AM
they actually said 5 years? i just remember "multi-year." i might've missed somethin

I never saw that it was 5 years anywhere. Do you have a link for that? Because all I ever saw was a verification that it was more than 1 year, and speculation that it was for 5 years....but I sure missed any confirmation that the new contract is for that long. I think you might want to re-check that...or, you could just keep acting incredulous that someone writes something with which you disagree. Up to you, of course.

The press release said it was a multi-year contract extension. Woj speculated on the contract length, but there has never been any confirmation. The closest we have is actually in this article where Pop says that he made commitments to Manu and Tony. That would keep him on the bench until Tony's contract is up in 2018.

The Woj tweet:

wildchild
10-06-2014, 10:57 AM

After the Finals Kawhi was confident to get the extension, you know he said "I'm sure they -the Spurs and his agent- will come out with a great understanding and a deal", but maybe the ball is on Spurs side of court more than Leonard's camp. The Spurs want cap space next summer to replace Tim/Manu, so they may not be willing to give him the extension (despite what he wants).

IMO if they don't extend him this summer the risk of losing him for nothing in free agency next years could be huge.
It's hard to imagine he accepting his qualifying offer next summer and wait until 2016 to hit the market as UFA, but the new TV deal, Lakers with their deep pockets could lure him to his Cali home, and -you're right- a team without Pop coaching...there are a lot of things Leonard's camp should take into account.

Mel_13
10-06-2014, 11:03 AM
After the Finals Kawhi was confident to get the extension, you know he said "I'm sure they -the Spurs and his agent- will come out with a great understanding and a deal", but maybe the ball is on Spurs side of court more than Leonard's camp. The Spurs need have cap space next summer to replace Tim/Manu, so they may not be willing to give him the extension (despite what he wants).

IMO if they don't extend him this summer the risk of losing him for nothing in free agency next years could be huge.
It's hard to imagine he accepting his qualifying offer next summer and wait until 2016 to hit the market as UFA, but the new TV deal, Lakers with their deep pockets could lure him to his Cali home, and -you're right- a team without Pop coaching...there are a lot of things Leonard's camp should take into account.

He's not turning down a max contract to sign the qualifying offer. Kawhi will be a Spur for years to come.

wildchild
10-06-2014, 11:21 AM
He's not turning down a max contract to sign the qualifying offer. Kawhi will be a Spur for years to come.

That's why I said "it's hard to imagine..." but we don't know how the market will work next summer, a lot of guys could wait to new TV deal operates in 2016, however I hope you're right.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-06-2014, 01:58 PM
I think everyone here dreads when Duncan will retire. Robinson retirement didn't hit as hard b/c the Spurs had a young core of Manu, Parker and of course, Duncan. Spurs still have an excellent young core, but they don't have anybody on the roster like Duncan at this point.

Two more years would be great. I have been blessed in a sense that I have only witness the Spurs missing just one postseason since I have been following them.

cjw
10-06-2014, 07:35 PM
People thinking Kawhi will leave are just as crazy as those who think Anthony Davis is leaving New Orleans. It simply does not happen with top flight players entering RFA and eligible for max deals.