PDA

View Full Version : James Jones Comes To Phoenix

ace3g
08-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Indy Star - The Phoenix Suns today completed a sign-and-trade deal with Indiana that will net the team restricted free-agent James Jones, an athletic swingman, who led the Pacers in three-point accuracy last season. In return, Phoenix will send Indiana its own 2008 second round pick. Jones signed a four-year contract with the fourth year being a player option. Per club policy, financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“James Jones gives us another long, athletic wing player who has become a very good range shooter,” said Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “His versatility on both ends of the floor is a perfect fit for our system.”

Link (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37128/20050825/james_jones_comes_to_phoenix/)

ace3g
08-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Phoenix Acquires James Jones from Indiana

The Phoenix Suns today completed a sign-and-trade deal with Indiana that will net the team restricted free-agent James Jones, an athletic swingman, who led the Pacers in three-point accuracy last season. In return, Phoenix will send Indiana its own 2008 second round pick. Jones signed a four-year contract with the fourth year being a player option. Per club policy, financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“James Jones gives us another long, athletic wing player who has become a very good range shooter,” said Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “His versatility on both ends of the floor is a perfect fit for our system.”

In only his second NBA season in 2004-05, Jones, 24, ranked 25th in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage (.398). The former Pacers’ second round pick (49th overall) in the 2003 NBA Draft averaged 4.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 17.7 minutes in 75 games (24 starts) last season after logging 26 total minutes as a rookie in 2003-04.

The 6-8, 220-pound guard/forward took advantage of increased playing time by scoring in double figures seven times during a 12-game span in late November and early December when the Pacers were shorthanded due to suspensions to Ron Artest, Jermaine O’Neal and Stephen Jackson. He also recorded his first two 20-plus point games during the stretch, including a career-high 27-point outburst at Seattle on Nov. 28. In that game, Jones connected on a career-high six three-point field goals on nine attempts.

A successful performer on and off the court at the University of Miami (Fla.), Jones earned Big East All-Academic honors in each of his four collegiate seasons, and became the school’s first Verizon Academic All-American in 2002-03. As a senior, Jones averaged a career-high 16.9 points and led the Hurricanes in blocks (1.8) and rebounds (6.0) in 28 games.

Link (http://www.nba.com/suns/news/james_050825.html)

ace3g
08-25-2005, 04:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/suns/james_jones_220.jpg

James Jones led the Pacers in three-point shooting percentage last season.
(NBAE Photos)

The spurs could really have used this guy for his shooting, rebounding, and defense

I hope they have something up their sleeves and are getting ready to sign someone, its all Finley's fault if it wasnt for him the spurs would have definitely signed Jones

BillsCarnage
08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
CHA-CHING

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/james_050825.html

Kori Ellis
08-25-2005, 05:30 PM
How much did he sign for?

BadlyDrawnBoy
08-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Just had badly this guy is overrated already sickens me.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Who overrates him? People just think he has potential to be a solid role player. I haven't seen anyone tout him more than that.

JUUOT
08-25-2005, 05:38 PM
his price tag combined with maurice evans at 1.5m a year should be enough to set the market whatever happens to finley. so all to your search and let s find out what type of contract JJ get...it will show what glenn or devin could claim

BillsCarnage
08-25-2005, 05:44 PM
The talk around here is he'll get @ $2mil/per

picnroll
08-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Wonder what Devin would have been offered if he didn't have the back issues.

ace3g
08-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Jones is suppose to get part of the 6million trade exception they got from Atlanta for the Joe Johnson trade

ace3g
08-25-2005, 06:18 PM
I have always wanted the spurs to resign brown but there are 3 spots open( 1 of them belongs to devin, the other is another wing player, and a PG)

xcoriate
08-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I would have very much liked to get him.

exstatic
08-25-2005, 06:47 PM
The Spurs already have their young 3, bought with a 2nd round pick. He's in Europe. Not quite ripe yet. Name of Sanikidze. We already own his rights, and he'll come lots cheaper than $2M per year.

JUUOT
08-26-2005, 09:36 AM
thanks billscarnage.
New york was offering him 1.7$M a year so i guess 2M is possible.
so mo evans was 1.5 and JJ not more than 2
brown should be no more than 1.7/1.8
and barnes should come just a bit higher minimums at less than a million.

PS: EXstatic, sanikidze was not beleived to be ready before 2007summer but he has a big operation and will likely miss this season. can not count on him.

BillsCarnage
08-26-2005, 11:21 AM
$2.4mil to be exact

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0826sunsnb0826.html

I really hope he gets PT to develop. He could very easily replace JoJo at SG if he develops. I'm hoping that by trading time Knight will want out of Charlotte to play for a contender.

How bout that for a nucleus - Amare, Marion, Jones, Knight.

FromWayDowntown
08-26-2005, 11:31 AM
How bout that for a nucleus - Amare, Marion, Jones, Knight.

Are you saying that any two players with Amare and Marion makes a good nucleus? Or are you lamenting the absence of any great talent to fill around Amare and Marion? Jones might be a nice role player, but a part of a long-term team core? I'm skeptical.

Unless I was hoping for abject mediocrity, I don't know that I'd be jumping up and down over the future if pieces 3 and 4 of the nucleus are: (1) a guy who had 24 starts last year, but didn't average 5 ppg; and (2) an undersized PG who has put up decent numbers in some seasons, but has never stayed with any team for very long.

I'm biased, but I do try to be objective. In comparing team cores, I'd take Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and any 4th Spur over Amare, Marion, Jones, and Knight.

BillsCarnage
08-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Knight is purley speculation, but with the Suns style they need someone who can create and dish. There are others that would be good (Lue, Watson, etc) but they might have an easier chance getting knight.

(1) a guy who had 24 starts last year, but didn't average 5 ppg;
When he got minutes he put up good #'s. He's described as tall, athletic, can shoot the 3, rebound, good defender, etc. JoJo was described almost the exact same way when he came to the Suns from Boston. I'm not saying Jones will be a superstar next season, but in 2 or 3 years he could form into the same type player that JoJo was.

(2) an undersized PG who has put up decent numbers in some seasons, but has never stayed with any team for very long.

True, but he has some staying time with Charlotte now.

Anyone else might take Duncan, Gino, Parker too, but they're not available are they?

JUUOT
08-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree with billscarnage.
james jones could end up being Joe j replacement pretty soon. and in 1 or 2 years could be the third whell of the nucleus with AMARE AND MARION.
what is your view on boris diaw and his role now that james jones is in the picture? billscarnage?

BillsCarnage
08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Boris could be the second coming of Bobo(barbosa). He has one year on his contract plus a team option. He needed to be included in the trade to help offset the salary. Suns brass say they like him, but i don't see him doing much for them. They will try him at backup PG because he's scared yellow to shoot and prefers to pass.

He was interviewed by a local sports show and he sounds very, very timid. Part of that could be the cultural difference and part could be the reason the Hawks wanted to dump him.

NashtoAmare
08-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm biased, but I do try to be objective. In comparing team cores, I'd take Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and any 4th Spur over Amare, Marion, Jones, and Knight.

Have you seen Amare play latley he is the new Duncan. Now Duncan is very good and always will be but he isin't getting any yonger.I'll take Amare(young) Marion(young) Jones(young) and Nash (old) anyday over Duncan(old) Ginobili(actor) and Parker(Eva obsessed).

No offence to SA...The Spurs are good and i know it...but so are the Suns.

boutons
08-26-2005, 09:49 PM
NashtoAmare
plonk!

FreshPrince22
08-27-2005, 01:56 AM
$2.4m per year is pretty good. I would have liked him on the Pistons. I highly doubt Indy would be looking to work out a trade with us though as we already stole their starting center. :lol
________
Ocean View Condo Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Dex
08-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Amare is a great player. I have to admit that much after watching him in this last playoff series. Marion is really good, too...even if he isn't much of a playoff performer and shoots his jumpshots like a girl.

Still....

Phoenix will never overcome the Curse. Maybe they would win something if they became the New Mexico Suns.

And yes, the Spurs are still better than the Suns until proven otherwise. Didn't we JUST go through a playoff series to determine this?