PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who is the favorite to win it all this year?

Thebesteva
10-09-2014, 09:02 PM
The NBA is pretty predictable UP TO the conference finals. Past that, it gets tricky.

I have Spurs V Cavs, but I have no idea how Cavs can win that series unless Irving and Love dont break their vaginas and stay healthy during the post season.

Splits
10-09-2014, 09:03 PM
I have Spurs V Cavs.

Way to go out on a limb...

RsxPiimp
10-09-2014, 09:08 PM
i'd say OKC. Tis their year.

Imma explain why

Durant=Lebron
Westbrook>Iriving
Ibaka>Love
Adams>Thompson
Collison>Varejao

Jew>Scotty Brooks

advantage: thunder :lol

Clipper Nation

Imma explain why

Durant=Lebron
:lmao Stopped reading there

spurraider21
i'd say cleveland because they're a near lock to make the finals

Clipper Nation
10-09-2014, 09:09 PM

:lol Spurfan trying to keep the pressure off their team

RsxPiimp
10-09-2014, 09:09 PM

I think Durant is gon be a beast this yr, B.

RsxPiimp
10-09-2014, 09:10 PM
:lol

spurraider21
10-09-2014, 09:12 PM
not really. the spurs are still the best team in the NBA, that hasn't changed. but they have to win 2-3 tough series before making the finals. the cavs can moonwalk into the finals tbh

and speaking of keeping pressure off the team...

We aren't beating the Spurs without a legit starting wing and Choke Paul playing like the role player he needs to be come playoff time.... a six-foot-nothing point guard overdribbling, playing Enriqueball and ignoring the true alpha of the team down the stretch isn't going to cut it, tbh....

Chinook
10-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Cleveland having no defensive wing will really hurt them against the Spurs and Thunder. Against the Clippers, Griffin should have a field day, but James can switch onto Paul without fear of any of LA's wings going off. The Wizards may be pretty good, since Wall and Beal are better two-way players than Irving and Waiters. But they will really miss Ariza being out.

I actually think Miami matches up well with Cleveland (though they lack the talent). Deng and Granger give them two people to throw at James. Cole can do a decent job on Irving. With Bosh and McRoberts as the bigs, Cleveland's poor defensive personnel would be spaced out. I think the Cavs would catch hell in the ECSF.

Clipper Nation
10-09-2014, 09:20 PM
not really. the spurs are still the best team in the NBA, that hasn't changed. but they have to win 2-3 tough series before making the finals. the cavs can moonwalk into the finals tbh

and speaking of keeping pressure off the team...
Philo

:lol Thinking there's more pressure on the expected second-round losers/third wheel in the West than there is on the defending champs to avoid another Foul/8/6

Thebesteva
10-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Way to go out on a limb...

I wasnt going out on a limb, im going with the probability. Ive also guessed the NBA finals correctly since 2011 when those Mavs surprised us all. Getting real tired of your shit Splits, ever since you stopped being the gif posting darling of this forum.

RD2191
10-09-2014, 09:27 PM
OKC if they can pull it all together, tbh. And if they stay healthy.

unforeseen
10-09-2014, 09:27 PM

:lmao I agree. Durbeta will never come close to Bron.

Kool Bob Love
10-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Spurs.

Splits
10-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Getting real tired of your shit Splits, ever since you stopped being the gif posting darling of this forum.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dr-evil-crying1.gif

RD2191
10-09-2014, 09:30 PM
:lmao

SupremeGuy
10-09-2014, 09:31 PM
:lol Spurfan trying to keep the pressure off their teamlol well it's kinda true tbh

The East is a fucking joke. Alba Berlin would tear it up. :cry

RD2191
10-09-2014, 09:31 PM
lol well it's kinda true tbh

:pctoss

Splits
10-09-2014, 09:32 PM
lol well it's kinda true tbh

http://media.giphy.com/media/2XfswSLHgkXXa/giphy.gif

ambchang
10-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Depends on matchups.

If the clippers can avoid the spurs, they can make the finals
If okc can avoid the clippers, they can make the finals
If the spurs can avoid okc, they will make the finals

In the east, cavs are the favourites but I'm don't think they are the shoo-ins everybody make them out to be. I think the bulls have a great chance if rose can be a reasonable facsimile of his MVP self. Wizards have a decent chance, which tells you how bad the east is.

Whoever wins the west will win it all though.

RsxPiimp
10-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Depends on matchups.

In the east, cavs are the favourites but I'm don't think they are the shoo-ins everybody make them out to be. I think the bulls have a great chance if rose can be a reasonable facsimile of his MVP self. Wizards have a decent chance, which tells you how bad the east is.

Whoever wins the west will win it all though.
okc will wreck the fucking clippers :lmao

Clipper Nation
10-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Depends on matchups.

Spurs would easily beat us and OKC, Spurfan needs to stop being such pussies....

SupremeGuy
10-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Please Clippers take out the thunderefs pls :cry

ambchang
10-09-2014, 09:43 PM
okc will wreck the fucking clippers :lmao

Clippers match up decently with OKC. Their respective big threes can't guard each other but the clippers have a better coach and better bench.

Splits
10-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Spurs would easily beat us and OKC, Spurfan needs to stop being such pussies....

Easier said than done. Spurs are an injury away from being irrelevant. Pop has mitigated that downside with impeccable aptitude by managing minutes the past few years, but shit happens, dudes get injured. Just ask Liam Neesen about Chimpy's knee...

ambchang
10-09-2014, 09:44 PM

OKC still matches up well vs the spurs. The spurs caught fire for a few games in the playoffs, sure the ball movement created a lot of open shots, but the spurs were still nailing shots at a phenomenal rate.

InRareForm
10-09-2014, 09:49 PM
I want to say Spurs beat the Cavs, but I think Thunder will win because of a Spurs injury or something happened.

elmanutres
10-09-2014, 09:52 PM

Imma explain why

Durant=Lebron
Westbrook>Iriving
Ibaka>Love
Adams>Thompson
Collison>Varejao

Jew>Scotty Brooks

:lmao oklahomo. Even if they get past the spurs, lebron will be there to shut them and duracne as usual

RsxPiimp
10-09-2014, 09:54 PM
:lmao oklahomo. Even if they get past the spurs, lebron will be there to shut them and duracne as usual

I was kidding :lol this is definitely Cavs vs Spurs with Spurs winning in 6 IMO. Assuming they are healthy of course.

OKC vs Cavs? I'd honestly pick the Thunder this time due to experience. None of Cavs key guys sans Lebron have PO experience.

elmanutres
10-09-2014, 09:55 PM
i guess overall spurs. But i think the cavs are gonna the absolute favorites in a year or two. Lebron says he doesn't expect the cavs to be a title team right away, but will go for this year anyways.

Thebesteva
10-09-2014, 09:55 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dr-evil-crying1.gif

http://37.media.tumblr.com/5dd8717bfb8f07057a9848996c386a95/tumblr_n5dxusAixC1qala6eo1_500.gif

unforeseen
10-09-2014, 10:39 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/5dd8717bfb8f07057a9848996c386a95/tumblr_n5dxusAixC1qala6eo1_500.gif

http://i60.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1214/0c/223ae9333614f26b7eda9c983516c90c.jpg

tlongII
10-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Blazers.

Venti Quattro
10-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Blazers.
No

Chinook
10-09-2014, 11:30 PM

Seriously. Like our level of humility affects how the Spurs perform. Same people who chastise fans for "overlooking" opponents their teams are playing.

Thebesteva
10-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Seriously. Like our level of humility affects how the Spurs perform. Same people who chastise fans for "overlooking" opponents their teams are playing.

:lol I love when Im on Broncos Country and I see threads like that,"Should we be taking the Chiefs more seriously or not?" There's all these people acting like theyre on the team and eventually someone fills them in on their pointless contribution to the actual gameplay.

Then of course theres that one guy that believes the fans somehow are a part of all this

spurraider21
10-09-2014, 11:48 PM

:lol I love when Im on Broncos Country and I see threads like that,"Should we be taking the Chiefs more seriously or not?" There's all these people acting like theyre on the team and eventually someone fills them in on their pointless contribution to the actual gameplay.

Then of course theres that one guy that believes the fans somehow are a part of all this
not gna lie, when my teams are struggling, i focus on the tv harder and "stop messing around"

Chinook
10-09-2014, 11:52 PM

I will say, though, that I have some animosity toward the Broncos due to an annoying fan of theirs. On the Baltimore Suns Ravens forum, he went by the handle "Bronco Bob". He was the Denver version of Tlong. He only ducked in for about a week to spam all this crap about how awesome the Broncos were and how they were going to destroy the Ravens. This was at the beginning of the McDaniels era when Denver started out 6-0 and the Ravens were struggling around .500.

I've never savored a victory like I did when Baltimore crushed the Broncos and sent them into their second-half death spiral. Then, the Ravens did it again the next year to essentially seal McDaniels' fate.

Chinook
10-09-2014, 11:54 PM
not gna lie, when my teams are struggling, i focus on the tv harder and "stop messing around"

Of course, but when they mount a comeback, do you feel like you did anything?

I realize that you might not remember when the last time the Raiders actually made a comeback was. But for the Spurs.

spurraider21
10-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Of course, but when they mount a comeback, do you feel like you did anything?

I realize that you might not remember when the last time the Raiders actually made a comeback was. But for the Spurs.
cl:lolssh:lolle

last raiders comeback i can remember was probably carson palmer vs the jags. Holden_Caulfield knows

Jacob1983
10-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Wizards

Thebesteva
10-10-2014, 12:19 AM

My uncle used to do that. He would say its time to start watching the Lakers seriously now that the game is close or theyre down 10.

I will say, though, that I have some animosity toward the Broncos due to an annoying fan of theirs. On the Baltimore Suns Ravens forum, he went by the handle "Bronco Bob". He was the Denver version of Tlong. He only ducked in for about a week to spam all this crap about how awesome the Broncos were and how they were going to destroy the Ravens. This was at the beginning of the McDaniels era when Denver started out 6-0 and the Ravens were struggling around .500.

I've never savored a victory like I did when Baltimore crushed the Broncos and sent them into their second-half death spiral. Then, the Ravens did it again the next year to essentially seal McDaniels' fate.

That Ravens game was bullshit. The refs blew it

spurraider21
10-10-2014, 12:21 AM
http://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/jacoby-jones-hail-mary.gif?w=640&h=353

Infinite_limit
10-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Who cares, Alba would beat them

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Alba_logo3d_klein.png

Leetonidas
10-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Spurs are going to ass-rape the league with TP returning to MVP form and Kawhi becoming a legit all-star tbh. Tim Duncan will win his 6th ring and 5th Finals MVP after sweeping the Cavs in the Finals and ride off into the sunset

:smokin

baseline bum
10-10-2014, 12:43 AM

This. Spurs-Thunder is probably a coin flip while Cleveland runs unopposed in the East.

Malik Hairston
10-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Spurs, Thunder and Cavs are the only teams that have a real chance at winning the championship, barring injury, you would have to be a complete moron to think otherwise, tbh..

Cavs are the overall favorites due to playing in the East, although the East should be much improved and a lot more difficult than last year..

I'd have OKC as slight favorites in the West, just based on the Spurs going on their 3rd straight run + potential injuries..there isn't another team in the West that has a real chance, despite the Clippers being a very good team(way too flawed to win a championship, though)..

Thebesteva
10-10-2014, 01:39 AM
http://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/jacoby-jones-hail-mary.gif?w=640&h=353

Yea, and what led to that? I have never before or after complained about officiating. I dont think it was a fix like the NBA. It was just poor officiating. That game was historically bad. Ravens were beat. They needed 20 consecutive calls in a row to comeback.

Chinook
10-10-2014, 03:19 AM

Not that one, man. This one:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291101033

McDaniels was getting CoY consideration after taking Denver to a 6-0 record, including a win over New England. Broncos went 2-7 after that game, while the Ravens managed to make the playoffs at 9-7 (which was the year they destroyed the Pats in Foxboro in a game similar to that NE/KC game this year).

Texas_Ranger
10-10-2014, 07:16 AM

Imma explain why

Durant=Lebron
Westbrook>Iriving
Ibaka>Love
Adams>Thompson
Collison>Varejao

Jew>Scotty Brooks

Adams and Collison better than Thompson and Varejao... :lol The Cavs 2 are 3 times better.

Killakobe81
10-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Here is my list of favorites (in order):

1. Cavs
Pros: weak East, Lebron (of course) , could be one of the best passing teams in the NBA ...
Cons: No proven chemistry, weak defenders, and as great as he is Lebron has come up short at times. No way you can blame him for the Spurs loss his team let him down ...but as good as he has been the last 5 years I still think he let himself down with two finals losses. That was not the best Lebron or even close. I think they can win but not sure they will but favorites.

2. Spurs
Pros: Great team chemistry. Proven depth. Best coach in the biz. Tony working the paint and Duncan on the block. KL's upside. Great 3 point shooting. Diaw's versatility
Cons: Age of 2 of big 3. Making the finals 3 straight years especially in the west is very hard. I dont know why but I just dont trust them to accomplish that in a very tough West. Put em in the East different story. I'm going to call it now no repeat. dont have a great reason because they are the best team, I just dont see this group making the finals in three straight years.The hunger wont be there. they will finish top 2 in West destry their first round opponent but lose in 2nd or WCF ...

3. Clips
Pros: Blake. Not sure if improved range is real or just a hot streak but if he maintains that and the Clips feature him in the right way, Oh me oh my! Paul despite the hate on here is driven for a title and is the best PG. Doc though overrated has some of the best inbounds plays and plays out of timeouts in the biz. Great bench scoring from JJ and Big baby.
Cons: SF is still a weakness and even if stacked at other spots I think they are lacking an elite wing defender. On paper a really good team with only a few holes ...but I still dont trust this team.

4. OKC
Pros: The 2nd best player in the game playing in his prime with a top 10 player also in his prime. Serge patrolling the paint. Reggie Jackson providing scoring off the bench
Cons: They will miss Sefolosha on defense. Perk sucks. Books sucks. I really must have a lot of faith in KD/Russ to keep em this high.

Honorable mentions:

Gstate: I love their mix of shooting/scoring (Curry, Klay, Barnes, Lee) and (defense Bogut, Green Iggy). Kerr is unproven as a coach not sure I trust their paint defense outside of Bogut.

Mavs: I love their offense. Glad they brought back Tyson (never should have let him go). Though overpaid Parsons gives them speed and scoring. A big 3 of Dirk, Montae and Parsons means they will GET buckets. I think like the Clips they lack a perimeter wing defender. But Rc is the best coach north of Pop I say Mavs snag 4th seed or better in a tough West.

Clipper Nation
10-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Yea, and what led to that? I have never before or after complained about officiating. I dont think it was a fix like the NBA. It was just poor officiating. That game was historically bad. Ravens were beat. They needed 20 consecutive calls in a row to comeback.
:lol Blaming the refs for another patented Fivehead choke
:lol Did the refs throw that pick in overtime?

100%duncan
10-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Spurs.

~O~
10-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Hmm...I see there is no type of humility for the Eastern Conference here and I believe its warranted. Since the beginning of the millenium, the east hasn't been at all entertainingly competitive. Just a bunch of overhyped machines and most of the Eastern teams that have won weren't very liked by diehard basketball fans. I liked the Pistons team that won and made it to the finals twice. The Nets as well but they just couldn't get over that hump.

Its lucky I post in a eastern conference forum also where we discuss the east more than the west. I guess its about immediate, local, and playoff competition. Local competition is much more relevant.

But yes, the West still has better teams which truly overshadows how much the east has gotten. Most considerably, through this stacked draft.

Read this shit if you want.

So I have Bulls, Wizards, Raptors, Cavaliers, Toronto as top 5 East. Spurs Mavs Portland, Phoenix, Clippers out for the Weest.

Eastern Conference Finals.....bulls wiz. Western Conference finals. Mavs SPurs please.

I'm starting to think the world doesn't believe that LeBron is human due to subliminal oversaturated advertising as he's had to carry a team to the finals for almost 5 straight seasons. Hold fast....

But yes, I truly don't see...looking at that roster....how that team could possibly make it to the finals. That Bulls team however. Yeesh. Got rid of booze and now banger Gibson starting with Gasol. Mirotic off the bench. Derrick Rose looks healthy enough to last for once. We'll see.

Horse
10-10-2014, 12:44 PM
OKC still matches up well vs the spurs. The spurs caught fire for a few games in the playoffs, sure the ball movement created a lot of open shots, but the spurs were still nailing shots at a phenomenal rate.

If you look at the playoffs once we really figured a team out we never looked back. I don't see what okc did to get any better. Each yr they don't win westbrick will tire of playing second fiddle while Durant will get closer to DC. We take them out this season they may blow it up.

ambchang
10-10-2014, 02:38 PM
If you look at the playoffs once we really figured a team out we never looked back. I don't see what okc did to get any better. Each yr they don't win westbrick will tire of playing second fiddle while Durant will get closer to DC. We take them out this season they may blow it up.

Is that why game 6 was so close? The Spurs were obviously the better team in the series, but OKC matches up with the Spurs very well. They have a very strong mid range game, and their quick defenders negates some of the Spurs ball movement.

Westbrook went absolutely crazy in a few games that series, it's partly him catching fire, but it's also partly the Spurs having trouble containing him. If he ever gets his emotions in check, and figured that the he essentially unstoppable driving to the basket (big ifs), he can be as good as Durant.

Chinook
10-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Is that why game 6 was so close? The Spurs were obviously the better team in the series, but OKC matches up with the Spurs very well. They have a very strong mid range game, and their quick defenders negates some of the Spurs ball movement.

Spurs won without their best offensive player. That player is now the healthiest he's been for a couple of years. OKC lost the guy they used as the primary defender on the perimeter. So they pretty much have to hope Ibaka can cover up that loss. That will be hard if the Spurs continue to draw Serge out on the perimeter.

In reality, the Spurs have always (meaning for the last few years) matched up well with OKC defensively. It's just that they relied too much on Parker, and Tony could be stopped with Sef and Ibaka. Now that the Medium Three have improved so much, the Spurs are just a lot better overall than they were, while OKC is only slightly better. Hell, had Green not slumped in 2012, the Spurs may well have won that series.

Westbrook went absolutely crazy in a few games that series, it's partly him catching fire, but it's also partly the Spurs having trouble containing him. If he ever gets his emotions in check, and figured that the he essentially unstoppable driving to the basket (big ifs), he can be as good as Durant.

Westbrook only went crazy in Game Four, and even then, he didn't go off until semi garbage time (only 10 points off 13 possessions against Green and Parker in that game). It's frankly shocking how well the Spurs defended KD and RW this last series. The 4-2 result doesn't do justice to the match-up issue OKC has with SA now, especially if their bench can't play make up for losing Jackson.

Malik Hairston
10-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Can't see the Clippers winning with those terrible wing players and lack of defensive system, tbh..

Since 2003, how many title teams haven't had elite wing defense?..

The 2006 Heat are probably the only team that comes to mind, tbh..

It'll be a problem for the Cavs, too, with a declining(on defense) Lebron as their only competent wing defender(:lmao Marion)..

Killakobe81
10-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Can't see the Clippers winning with those terrible wing players and lack of defensive system, tbh..

Since 2003, how many title teams haven't had elite wing defense?..

The 2006 Heat are probably the only team that comes to mind, tbh..

It'll be a problem for the Cavs, too, with a declining(on defense) Lebron as their only competent wing defender(:lmao Marion)..

More built in excuse making. Even Lebron is shying away from "favorite status" i think he does not want to be favored, because he is soft or lacks faith in himself, team, or coach. I think the blame he got for 2010.2011 has made James leery of being the title favorites. Yes, their defense is shaky but with a good system they can be solid and the offense should be elite. Plus they have Lebron Freaking James.

No hiding Lebron and his minions pressure is on to win NOW.

Horse
10-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Westbrook went absolutely crazy in a few games that series, it's partly him catching fire, but it's also partly the Spurs having trouble containing him. If he ever gets his emotions in check, and figured that the he essentially unstoppable driving to the basket (big ifs), he can be as good as Durant. That thing was over till the zebras showed up and we still beat em at their place.

ambchang
10-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Spurs won without their best offensive player. That player is now the healthiest he's been for a couple of years. OKC lost the guy they used as the primary defender on the perimeter. So they pretty much have to hope Ibaka can cover up that loss. That will be hard if the Spurs continue to draw Serge out on the perimeter.

In reality, the Spurs have always (meaning for the last few years) matched up well with OKC defensively. It's just that they relied too much on Parker, and Tony could be stopped with Sef and Ibaka. Now that the Medium Three have improved so much, the Spurs are just a lot better overall than they were, while OKC is only slightly better. Hell, had Green not slumped in 2012, the Spurs may well have won that series.

Westbrook only went crazy in Game Four, and even then, he didn't go off until semi garbage time (only 10 points off 13 possessions against Green and Parker in that game). It's frankly shocking how well the Spurs defended KD and RW this last series. The 4-2 result doesn't do justice to the match-up issue OKC has with SA now, especially if their bench can't play make up for losing Jackson.

Sefolosha was pretty ineffective vs Parker last season. Parker figured him out and was going off in games 1 and 2. If Parker can get more in the passing mode and less on the scoring mode, I think the spurs will play better, but Parker doesn't seem to really get that yet.

As for Westbrook, he absolutely blew the game open in games 3 and 4 by himself. Saying that he only did so in semi garbage time was pretty far from the truth. People can hate him all they want, but Westbrook, when his head is on straight, can be devastating.

ambchang
10-11-2014, 09:43 PM
That thing was over till the zebras showed up and we still beat em at their place.

Game 6 was pretty evenly called, everything considered.

Of the refs were biased, no way would they not call that strip on Westbrook. It's a clean strip, but a biased ref would call that 10 out of 10 times.

Chinook
10-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Sefolosha was pretty ineffective vs Parker last season. Parker figured him out and was going off in games 1 and 2. If Parker can get more in the passing mode and less on the scoring mode, I think the spurs will play better, but Parker doesn't seem to really get that yet.

Yes, and that's a big reason why OKC no longer matches up well with the Spurs.

As for Westbrook, he absolutely blew the game open in games 3 and 4 by himself. Saying that he only did so in semi garbage time was pretty far from the truth. People can hate him all they want, but Westbrook, when his head is on straight, can be devastating.

Westbrook is good, just not usually against the Spurs. In Game Four, more than half of his points came against the Spurs deep bench. He single-handedly ended the Spurs' comeback attempt, but he did not go off against the team's regular rotation.

ambchang
10-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Yes, and that's a big reason why OKC no longer matches up well with the Spurs.

Westbrook is good, just not usually against the Spurs. In Game Four, more than half of his points came against the Spurs deep bench. He single-handedly ended the Spurs' comeback attempt, but he did not go off against the team's regular rotation.

No .... The thunder blew out the spurs twice and had a very tight game in game 6 after sefelosha was proven to be useless on both offense and defense. Parker hero ball is the best thing for the thunder to defend because they have multiple layers of defense that can stop Parker.

Wesbrook absolutely at wrecked the spurs and he played great in game 6 as well.