PDA

View Full Version : Disputing you credit report

Big Empty
10-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Anyone know a legitimate site to dispute ur credit score for all 3 credit agencies?

Trainwreck2100
10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Dont know the site but iirc you have alot of mailing to do in your future. Also depends on your problem.

ColinB
10-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Weren't you the one who started the thread regarding mortgages? If so, don't do this.

DMC
10-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Does "big empty" describe your pants pockets?

Big Empty
10-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Lol no im not doin too bad there dmc. I was gonna buy a house and was approved but decided to wait another year or two. Starting a new job i cant take off to search for a house n make bids. My credit is good but there was about 700 bucks that an old apartmemt charged against me 5 years ago. They said i left the place dirty cause i left an old love sear n tv there. Its not my credit or money thats a problem its an apartmemt causing me leasing problems now. I guess i want to date the house first before i marry it.

DJR210
10-10-2014, 05:32 PM
I don't think there is an all in one place to dispute, unless you hire an attorney and have them handle it.

What you are going to want to do is contact the lender (or whoever has reported negatively in error) and escalate the issue w/ them, If they are in the wrong, then their escalations team should be reaching out to the 3 major bureaus on your behalf to correct the issue. It can take anywhere from 30-60 days to resolve the issue, and have it show on the credit report.

If the lender or whatever doesn't agree with you claiming incorrect reporting, you are going to have to contact all three and be prepared to provide your justification as to why what has been reported is not accurate.

Also, be realistic with your dispute too. When I was dealing with mortgage escalations, we would receive threat escalations from the customer service department because of morons complaining about what was on their credit report. Don't make a mortgage payment for 68 months, and threaten to sue because the bank reported it :lol. It's not worth the time (providing documents like Trainwreck2100 said) unless you have a really good claim.

DJR210
10-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Does "big empty" describe your pants pockets?

:lol

ColinB
10-10-2014, 05:46 PM
I only ask because there is a good chance you'll have to remove the dispute when you are trying to get a home loan.

BacktoBasics
10-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't think there is an all in one place to dispute, unless you hire an attorney and have them handle it.

What you are going to want to do is contact the lender (or whoever has reported negatively in error) and escalate the issue w/ them, If they are in the wrong, then their escalations team should be reaching out to the 3 major bureaus on your behalf to correct the issue. It can take anywhere from 30-60 days to resolve the issue, and have it show on the credit report.

If the lender or whatever doesn't agree with you claiming incorrect reporting, you are going to have to contact all three and be prepared to provide your justification as to why what has been reported is not accurate.

Also, be realistic with your dispute too. When I was dealing with mortgage escalations, we would receive threat escalations from the customer service department because of morons complaining about what was on their credit report. Don't make a mortgage payment for 68 months, and threaten to sue because the bank reported it :lol. It's not worth the time (providing documents like Trainwreck2100 said) unless you have a really good claim.
This will work but this also in reverse of how I would handle it. If its an error contacting the debt collector is probably going to result in them simply hitting you harder. Everyone tells debt collectors that their info is wrong...their first response is to naturally blow you off because everyone lies about owing a debt.

I would dispute through the credit bureaus. This way if the debt collector fails to provide proof the bureau will automatically remove the trade line.

All you have to do is request, you don't actually have to prove that the debt isn't yours or is in error. Although that helps. The burden of proof in on the debt collector.

You'll most likely have to do this a few times because sometimes you get a lazy response or the bureau doesn't take action and they simply kick back a letter saying they investigated even though they didn't.

The easiest way out is to settle the debt for a percentage of the full amount. Debt collectors like money. The key is to negotiate for the removal of the trade line upon payment. This is key because a paid debt still does damage. A removed trade line is best.

Been doing this for people for a long time, I wouldn't hire someone or an attorney unless they're willing to negotiate trade line removals which is rare.

Trainwreck2100
10-11-2014, 04:54 PM
This will work but this also in reverse of how I would handle it. If its an error contacting the debt collector is probably going to result in them simply hitting you harder. Everyone tells debt collectors that their info is wrong...their first response is to naturally blow you off because everyone lies about owing a debt.

I would dispute through the credit bureaus. This way if the debt collector fails to provide proof the bureau will automatically remove the trade line.

All you have to do is request, you don't actually have to prove that the debt isn't yours or is in error. Although that helps. The burden of proof in on the debt collector.

You'll most likely have to do this a few times because sometimes you get a lazy response or the bureau doesn't take action and they simply kick back a letter saying they investigated even though they didn't.

The easiest way out is to settle the debt for a percentage of the full amount. Debt collectors like money. The key is to negotiate for the removal of the trade line upon payment. This is key because a paid debt still does damage. A removed trade line is best.

Been doing this for people for a long time, I wouldn't hire someone or an attorney unless they're willing to negotiate trade line removals which is rare.
Pretty much this negotiate for lower, unfortunately that's the easiest way to solve this, however I'd make sure in your conversations you never actually say you owe it

unforeseen
10-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Get your free annual credit report from each agency. Proceed to look over each creditor on file and dispute either online or through snail mail. You should have it cleared up within 30 days.

cantthinkofanything
10-12-2014, 03:49 AM
tell her you're the father.