PDA

View Full Version : First look at Kyle Anderson...

apalisoc_9
10-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Positive

- Good interior passer

- Doesn't look like he is lost in the offense

- Clearly knows his limitations and strengths

- Great patience.

Work on

- His three point shooting

- Pop tried to post him once in the third, and he clearly is physically poor...not sure if he can work on that judging by his physique and overall game

- Somewhat slow with his defensive rotation

Overall, he is nothing special tbh. Some skillsets that fits the spurs, but otherwise..Average.

Best case scenario this year for him

Daye gets cut off and he averages 3 minutes or so per game

Worst case scenario for him

Toros ( which isn't really that bad)

100%duncan
10-11-2014, 01:34 PM
But does he do the Kawhi sign?

Chinook
10-11-2014, 01:35 PM
People make the mistake of thinking height is important in the post. In actuality, beanpoles will struggle more than shorter players on the block.

I liked Kyle, but he'll struggle against actual NBA talent.

Mugen
10-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Good to know we have him pegged 2 games into preseason tbh.

apalisoc_9
10-11-2014, 01:45 PM
People make the mistake of thinking height is important in the post. In actuality, beanpoles will struggle more than shorter players on the block.

I liked Kyle, but he'll struggle against actual NBA talent.

Yup..

I dont know why pop called that play. Maybe wanted to see if he can fadeaway or some other Dirk or durant kinda move...

apalisoc_9
10-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Who did this? Or just trying to be a smarty pants?

Mugen
10-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Who did this? Or just trying to be a smarty pants?

What's a smarty pants?

DapDaGenius
10-11-2014, 01:49 PM
What's a smarty pants?

It's a brand of cereal.

http://thesexylibrarian.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/looks-like-someone-had-a-big-bowl-of-smarty-pants.jpg

EVAY
10-11-2014, 01:56 PM
But does he do the Kawhi sign?

:lol:toast

phxspurfan
10-11-2014, 02:00 PM
A tad slow lol

testies
10-11-2014, 02:02 PM
but does he pass to Kawhi?

boutons_deux
10-11-2014, 02:02 PM
ST has decided after a few minutes that KA's NBA career is a non-starter

itzsoweezee
10-11-2014, 02:04 PM

lol. this site is terrible. the worst part is that it didn't always suck.

Chinook
10-11-2014, 02:04 PM

What part of "first look" is difficult to understand?

apalisoc_9
10-11-2014, 02:07 PM

First look

EDIT: Chinook already replied

littlecoyotecoin
10-11-2014, 02:23 PM
What part of "first look" is difficult to understand?

To be fair, you both did offer conclusions. 0-3 minutes per game maximum, or headed to the Toros. That is "pegging" the kid, as Mugen states. Pegged him low. He may be right, but he can't feign as if he didn't "peg" him. You, also, conclude he will struggle against NBA talent. Not all that unusual to see people call out these conclusions as premature, even if you're right.

spurraider21
10-11-2014, 02:24 PM
First look

edit: oh shit it was the first two words of the fucking thread title :lol

Chinook
10-11-2014, 02:33 PM
You, also, conclude he will struggle against NBA talent.

I've also said I expect him to play the backup two next season and be able to defend it well enough. He's gonna struggle, and he'll get better.

apalisoc_9
10-11-2014, 02:36 PM
To be fair, you both did offer conclusions. 0-3 minutes per game maximum, or headed to the Toros. That is "pegging" the kid, as Mugen states. Pegged him low. He may be right, but he can't feign as if he didn't "peg" him. You, also, conclude he will struggle against NBA talent. Not all that unusual to see people call out these conclusions as premature, even if you're right.

I'm not talking about his career, relax..I said this year..

With the players the spurs have already, the best case scenario for him playing time wise would probably be around 3-5mpg a game..Thats being realistic.

toros will most likely improve him as well

Dex
10-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I thought he looked pretty good out there for, you know...the one game of basketball we've seen him play.

littlecoyotecoin
10-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I didn't say career, either, nor did Mugen.

ChumpDumper
10-11-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm not talking about his career, relax..I said this year..

With the players the spurs have already, the best case scenario for him playing time wise would probably be around 3-5mpg a game..Thats being realistic.

toros will most likely improve him as wellThe best thing about his going to the d-league is the faster pace and that he'll probably be facing smaller opponents most of the time. Sould get a very good idea about how he can guard the perimeter if they choose to play him there in Austin.

Chinook
10-11-2014, 02:50 PM
The best thing about his going to the d-league is the faster pace and that he'll probably be facing smaller opponents most of the time. Sould get a very good idea about how he can guard the perimeter if they choose to play him there in Austin.

That's what I'll be curious to see. He looks like a guy who'd play the four in the d-league. But he really should run as a two to try to develop that part of his game. Especially if Cotton starts next to him, Anderson should get a lot of time as a play-making wing. Defensively, it will probably help him to face undersized twos who can shoot like Goudelock. A good number of NBA backup SGs fit that category. Also should help break Anderson of his habit to overhelp.

ChumpDumper
10-11-2014, 03:03 PM
That's what I'll be curious to see. He looks like a guy who'd play the four in the d-league. But he really should run as a two to try to develop that part of his game. Especially if Cotton starts next to him, Anderson should get a lot of time as a play-making wing. Defensively, it will probably help him to face undersized twos who can shoot like Goudelock. A good number of NBA backup SGs fit that category. Also should help break Anderson of his habit to overhelp.That's why I ended with the qualifier. Honestly he could probably get away with playing any position in the D-League. I hope they actually try him out at 1-4 as long as he's running the offense most of the time. He'll be a priority over the training camp cuts and they will have plenty of PT to develop around Anderson even if they have to come off the bench in some lineups.

Mugen
10-11-2014, 03:09 PM
My contention was with the "nothing special" and "average" assessment tbh. Too early to tell how his game will translate and unfair to judge his skillset in a meaningless preseason game.

As for this season's projections, most Spurs fans already figured that he'll barely play and see a lot of the time in the D-League.

tuncaboylu
10-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Watched him today in the Arena. His feet are really too slow. He couldn't defend anyone on one-on-one in the first half.

Second half he seemed better, because Duncan always came to help to him.

Sorry guys, but this guy didn't give me any hope. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that he's a goner next year.

Chinook
10-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Watched him today in the Arena. His feet are really too slow. He couldn't defend anyone on one-on-one in the first half.

Second half he seemed better, because Duncan always came to help to him.

Sorry guys, but this guy didn't give me any hope. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that he's a goner next year.

That's important. It's Duncan's job to help Anderson, just like it's Splitter's job to protect Tim. Anderson looks like he'll need a fair bit of help from the bigs, but the Spurs are great at giving it. More importantly, once Kyle gets the help he needs, he'll be able to use his length and intelligence to make a lot of steals and blocks.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Anderson with an elite DRtg in a few years, and even a very strong dRAPM if he can figure out how to stop overhelping.

Brazil
10-11-2014, 04:13 PM
:lol can Anderson be the new manu thread ?

look_at_g_shred
10-11-2014, 04:39 PM
"Nothing special" lol I forgot he was a lottery pick. The guy has a way better feel for the game than most of the top picks this year. Sure he can be better defensively but hell get there. On offense, he has multiple ways of scoring and has infinite room to grow. His court awareness and vision for a rookie is superb. The guy has the potential to be a very skilled nba player.

ElNono
10-11-2014, 06:08 PM

:lol Anderson will never score 20 pts in a game

Chinook
10-11-2014, 06:14 PM

Kyle did have a couple of bad turnovers late in the game. Like those ill-advised high-lows to Duncan.

tmtcsc
10-11-2014, 06:24 PM

Had him pegged in the Summer League. But yeah, he's nothing special right now.

look_at_g_shred
10-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Kyle did have a couple of bad turnovers late in the game. Like those ill-advised high-lows to Duncan.
That pass from TD to kyle then right back to Duncan was fucking brilliant. Sure Duncan didn't know it was coming hence the turnover, but more playing time should get the guys familiar with Anderson who is always looking to make a pass. Clever. Just clever.

Chinook
10-11-2014, 06:41 PM
That pass from TD to kyle then right back to Duncan was fucking brilliant. Sure Duncan didn't know it was coming hence the turnover, but more playing time should get the guys familiar with Anderson who is always looking to make a pass. Clever. Just clever.

There were a couple of times Anderson fired the ball into traffic trying to get it through a tight window. Some of them were good ideas, like the attempted high-low to Duncan. But he passed it back too soon, at least too soon for it to have been a bullet like it was. I do think the Spurs are going to be impressed by Anderson's IQ -- he'll make plays his teammates don't expect from a guy his age. But I also think that Anderson will need to adjust to the NBA game. Some windows that were open in college simply aren't in the pros.

Obstructed_View
10-11-2014, 07:20 PM
In a game where Spurs rotation guys were the worst players on the court, I'm not worried about KA in his first game-speed action with the team.

look_at_g_shred
10-11-2014, 07:27 PM
There were a couple of times Anderson fired the ball into traffic trying to get it through a tight window. Some of them were good ideas, like the attempted high-low to Duncan. But he passed it back too soon, at least too soon for it to have been a bullet like it was. I do think the Spurs are going to be impressed by Anderson's IQ -- he'll make plays his teammates don't expect from a guy his age. But I also think that Anderson will need to adjust to the NBA game. Some windows that were open in college simply aren't in the pros.
:tu

Captivus
10-11-2014, 07:34 PM

I'll take that bet.

itzsoweezee
10-11-2014, 08:23 PM
He looked very mature for a rookie, and especially for a rookie playing in only his second NBA game. Excellent court vision and length. Hopefully he can develop a good shot.

FireMicoHalili
10-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Daye tho

thispego
10-11-2014, 08:49 PM
lmao apalosic being taken seriously in a basketball talent critique thread? dude doesn't know shit. nothing to see here :lol

100%duncan
10-11-2014, 10:44 PM
KA even looked better in his 2nd pre-season NBA game than Austin Daye.

skulls138
10-11-2014, 11:34 PM
KA even looked better in his 2nd pre-season NBA game than Austin Daye.From the next Magic Johnson to better than Austin Daye. Whats next?

lefty
10-11-2014, 11:36 PM

:lol Brazil

admiralsnackbar
10-11-2014, 11:37 PM
lmao apalosic being taken seriously in a basketball talent critique thread? dude doesn't know shit. nothing to see here :lol

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

100%duncan
10-11-2014, 11:43 PM
From the next Magic Johnson to better than Austin Daye. Whats next?

Oh you might have mistaken me for another person, smartass.

spursparker9
10-12-2014, 12:33 AM

:lol quote for truth.

Kawhi haven't even cracked 30 yet.

BatManu20
10-12-2014, 01:25 AM
My man KA will be just fine. Don't expect much from him his first year. He'll be a player eventually though.

DJR210
10-12-2014, 01:52 AM
but it seems that he's a goner next year.

:lol

TheGreatYacht
10-12-2014, 04:23 AM

lmao apalosic being taken seriously in a basketball talent critique thread? dude doesn't know shit. nothing to see here

lmao apalosic being taken seriously in a basketball talent critique thread? dude doesn't know shit. nothing to see here

ceperez
10-12-2014, 05:04 AM

Yeah, he'll need playing time for him and his team mates to become familiar with him.

Looks like the Spurs are the only kind of team where a guy like KA can thrive.

Richie
10-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Anderson as a rookie can be summed up in one sentence. Too slow for the wing, too small for the post.

He needs to go the Diaw route and put on size, it's easier to get stronger than quicker. The kid has only just turned 21, he's got plenty of time to get bigger.

ceperez
10-12-2014, 05:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLyklNW7Qw

You can see a couple of KA plays in the Turkey game.

Raven
10-12-2014, 08:19 AM
i'm pretty sure they will try to develop him as a legit sf first, and if it doesn't work out, they will try him as a point forward. I'm not yet sure how i feel about this.

Brazil
10-12-2014, 08:36 AM

:lol worst case Boris Diaw

ulosturedge
10-12-2014, 09:56 AM
I thought he looked pretty good in his first preseason game. Not sure what peoples expectations are after just one preseason game. You can tell he is just learning about where to be on the court and how to integrate himself into the system; Trying to work himself into the team chemistry and learn what his teammates like to do. I got the feeling like this guy gets it. And for the last pick in the first round, I think we got someone more nba ready then we should have got. He shows good IQ and confidence in himself like an early round pick. How much more of an impression would you expect him to make in his first game? And yeah we know his weakness is going to be on the defensive end. You guys act like basketball players don't make it to the nba unless they are complete players. There are a ton of niche/role players in the league.

skulls138
10-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Oh you might have mistaken me for another person, smartass.Was talking about peoples opinions in general not just yours.

wildbill2u
10-12-2014, 11:51 AM
From the next Magic Johnson to better than Austin Daye. Whats next?

Never gonna be as good as Richard Jefferson?

look_at_g_shred
10-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Never gonna be as good as Richard Jefferson?
lol he's already better :lol

BillMc
10-12-2014, 12:46 PM

Well said

Mr. Body
10-12-2014, 01:22 PM
If he learns to fight over picks he'll be a net plus. It will take a few years to mature into the game, too, but already he shows a knack for what was working in the Finals last year - driving from passes to the wing. He can be very dangerous there.

Baam
10-12-2014, 04:44 PM
If he was heavier he'd already have won the backup PF position tbh. I think he can beat Beli for wing minutes tho. His off the dribble game is already ahead of most of the roster...

look_at_g_shred
10-12-2014, 04:51 PM
If he was heavier he'd already have won the backup PF position tbh. I think he can beat Beli for wing minutes tho. His off the dribble game is already ahead of most of the roster...
Sexy avi bruh..

eDizzle20
10-12-2014, 05:01 PM
I thought Anderson played quite well. He obviously has a lot of work to do defensively, but he showed good effort. Offensively he played really well. He was under control and had some very nice passes for easy buckets.

ceperez
10-12-2014, 06:00 PM
I thought Anderson played quite well. He obviously has a lot of work to do defensively, but he showed good effort. Offensively he played really well. He was under control and had some very nice passes for easy buckets.

So if this guy is 'SloMo', how come he's there laying up in several fast breaks?

xmas1997
10-12-2014, 07:24 PM
I've read that he is called SloMo due to his "deliberate" style.

venitian navigator
10-13-2014, 05:03 AM
I like what I've seen from him. It's obvious to me his role is as a point guard and that for playing that role he has to be a lot more accustomed to the system. He has and he's gonna have also at the nba level some skills that can't be ignored: his play making skills and ability for passing are clear, like it's clear that, if playing guard, he's gonne be always higher than his opponent, so becoming a constant miss match. Defensively he's gonna struggle, so it will be necessary to realize any time the best match...

Solid D
10-13-2014, 07:49 AM
So if this guy is 'SloMo', how come he's there laying up in several fast breaks?

His nickname and Twitter handle is "SlowMo".
...& he's SlowMo, not ShowMo (not yet, at least).
By that, I mean his intent is efficiency and not "show time".

spursparker9
10-13-2014, 08:01 AM
I think he got the ability to draw more fouls if he is aggressive and looks for his own shot.

Bad things happen when he is hesitating and deferring.

Maddog
10-13-2014, 10:02 AM
I found it interesting-
He was able to get into the paint easily and his length allows him to get shots off
Also really has a feel for the game and of course some good passes (and bad) Rebounds well
Not as un-athletic as I expected,
Caveat- Well it wasn't a regular season NBA game
There was enough to be encouraging

Chinook
10-13-2014, 10:12 AM
As I said earlier, Anderson's length and coordination will allow him to drive on a single defender. I'm curious to see how he handles traffic in the NBA, as his dribble is obviously rather high. He should be a very good rebounder for his position, and he can certainly get his share of blocks and steals with his wingspan and anticipation. He'll need to get smarter on his help defense to avoid getting screened off his man. But if he does this, he'll be a leader in DRtg.

look_at_g_shred
10-13-2014, 10:17 AM
As I said earlier, Anderson's length and coordination will allow him to drive on a single defender. I'm curious to see how he handles traffic in the NBA, as his dribble is obviously rather high. He should be a very good rebounder for his position, and he can certainly get his share of blocks and steals with his wingspan and anticipation. He'll need to get smarter on his help defense to avoid getting screened off his man. But if he does this, he'll be a leader in DRtg.
He looked very hesitant to go after boards on Saturday. There were times where he looked passive to get the boards. I'm sure Pop will let him know to be more aggressive at that. That's an aspect of his game that will translate well on the NBA level. If he can get the board and push the ball up the court (which he is great at doing) this kid can be deadly as he is elite at making plays.

boutons_deux
10-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Sounds like only after a few 10s of minutes in NBA pre-season games, rookie KA's NBA future is doomed. :)

Sec24Row7
10-13-2014, 10:37 AM
The kid looked really good!

Dex
10-13-2014, 04:22 PM
I can only imagine what this board would have said had it been around when Tim Duncan was getting shit on by Greg Ostertag in Summer League.

Dex
10-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Sounds like only after a few 10s of minutes in NBA pre-season games, rookie KA's NBA future is doomed. :)

Either that or he's going to be the next Magic Johnson. Too early to tell, tbh.

Chomag
10-13-2014, 04:36 PM
There is no question he has high skill and IQ but it's his body type that is questionable for an NBA player. He will definitively have a hard time finding a roll as much as Pop will have a hard time trying to find a good use for him. However he is on the right team as the Spurs system is wondrous at hiding player deficiencies because they play so damn well as a team. Hopefully the kid will figure out his niche in the NBA because he really does have some special abilities to offer the NBA

Holden_Caulfield
10-13-2014, 04:55 PM
anyone actually have any footage?

Obstructed_View
10-13-2014, 08:17 PM
There is no question he has high skill and IQ but it's his body type that is questionable for an NBA player. He will definitively have a hard time finding a roll as much as Pop will have a hard time trying to find a good use for him. However he is on the right team as the Spurs system is wondrous at hiding player deficiencies because they play so damn well as a team. Hopefully the kid will figure out his niche in the NBA because he really does have some special abilities to offer the NBA

dafuq?

SnakeBoy
10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
The San Antonio Spurs redeemed their recent preseason loss with a 96-90 victory over the Fenerbache Ulker, but the focus shouldn’t be on the win. In his first NBA start, rookie Kyle Anderson his was subtlety impressive to say the least.

After the tough loss to the German powerhouse Alba Berlin – a game in which Gregg Popovich elected to play much of his rotation longer than expected — Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green sat this game out in an effort to allow the lesser-minute guys to shine. Anderson took full advantage of this opportunity.

In 26 minutes of court time, the No. 30 pick in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft scored nine points, dished out two assists and grabbed two rebounds. The stat line may not catch the eye at first glance, but the success lies in between the lines. His lanky 6-foot-9 frame and court awareness allows him to be a versatile asset for the machine that is the Spurs.

The silky-smooth game of Anderson relies on patience and execution. He can handle, pass, shoot and rebound, but not in the explosive manner that most are used to in today’s game. He is a throwback to the point-forwards of yesteryear, making the right play instead of the highlight play.With zero turnovers, he proved he could take care of the ball, which has been a struggle for the Spurs so far.

To put this performance into perspective, let’s compare the first performance of some highly favored rookies in the same draft class. The Utah Jazz’s Dante Exum finished with four points and three rebounds in 29 minutes. Marcus Smart of the Boston Celtics ended his first outing with two points and three rebounds in 27 minutes.

Needless to say, the Spurs made a great choice with Anderson. His potential is a hope for the future, as Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili prepare to let go of the reins. He is in the best environment to grow and flourish for years to come.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/10/11/san-antonio-spurs-showcase-kyle-anderson-in-first-preseason-win/

xmas1997
10-14-2014, 08:33 AM
The kid looked really good!

Looked good to me too.

ceperez
10-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Great find.

He does appear slow and deliberate with his move, but he's got a ton of moves! He's definitely at the top of the list among rookies in terms of having a developed skill set.

If he develops that 3 point shot, he'll be playing in a lot of Spurs games!

Obstructed_View
10-14-2014, 12:25 PM
As poor as Joseph and Cotton are looking, I'd love to see KA get a shot at running the offense when Parker goes out. The question becomes who would be best to pair with him in the backcourt. There could be a thought of moving Manu back into the starting lineup and having KA and Green as the subs.

Chinook
10-14-2014, 01:10 PM
As poor as Joseph and Cotton are looking, I'd love to see KA get a shot at running the offense when Parker goes out. The question becomes who would be best to pair with him in the backcourt. There could be a thought of moving Manu back into the starting lineup and having KA and Green as the subs.

Doesn't make sense. If Manu's healthy, he's going to run the second unit. You don't mess up the Spurs' elite defensive foursome for a rookie who's still very green in terms of his decision-making. I think he's going to be a fine point-forward. But he's going to struggle, and the team shouldn't want to experiment that much unless Anderson shows he deserves it.

In my mind, Anderson is fighting with Beli for playing time. Joseph's defense is important, especially withe the prospect of Anderson getting minutes. Manu is going to be the second-string SG. So Kyle needs to play the three or four, the latter of which only makes any sense if Diaw is starting.

Baam
10-14-2014, 01:16 PM

No way imo, you can't make such a big change. If anything you bump Green's minutes so that he can play with Anderson.

Duncan Splitter
Diaw Kawhi/Bonner
Kawhi Anderson
Green Manu
TP Green

That'd already be huge leap of faith for Pop to let him bring the ball up imo.

The problem with Cojo is that he doesn't have the size to play game changing D and he passes up shots... Cleveland is gonna be a question mark on D but what's for sure is that they have nuclear-level offense, and imo Cojo is doesn't fit into a nuclear-level offense.

Hell we're not even sure who is gonna start at the 4 right now, Pop may go ultra conservative but I do think that Boris is gonna start.

ceperez
10-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Doesn't make sense. If Manu's healthy, he's going to run the second unit. You don't mess up the Spurs' elite defensive foursome for a rookie who's still very green in terms of his decision-making. I think he's going to be a fine point-forward. But he's going to struggle, and the team shouldn't want to experiment that much unless Anderson shows he deserves it.

In my mind, Anderson is fighting with Beli for playing time. Joseph's defense is important, especially withe the prospect of Anderson getting minutes. Manu is going to be the second-string SG. So Kyle needs to play the three or four, the latter of which only makes any sense if Diaw is starting.

Belinelli (in the regular season) had the second most minutes in the team. I doubt he'll be eating up Marco's minutes.

Joseph's problem is that he's not a credible threat from the 3 point line. I would rather see KA take his place (bringing up the ball) and Manu orchestrating the offense.

2nd unit (without mills)

Anderson
Ginobili
Belinelli
Diaw
Baynes

monkeypunk
10-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Pop may go ultra conservative but I do think that Boris is gonna start.

I think Pop will start whoever matches up better with the opponent that game / series. Sometimes, Splitter starts and other times, Bobo. That's the beauty of having ego-less players, they mostly just want the team to win and aren't going to be emotionally impacted by coming off the bench in spurts.

Chinook
10-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Belinelli (in the regular season) had the second most minutes in the team. I doubt he'll be eating up Marco's minutes.

That makes little sense to me. If Beli played so many minutes, then he's EXACTLY who would lose time to Anderson. No way Pop cuts a PG out of the rotation just to keep Beli at a high MPG, unless Marco starts running the point very well and being able to defend it.

Joseph's problem is that he's not a credible threat from the 3 point line. I would rather see KA take his place (bringing up the ball) and Manu orchestrating the offense.

2nd unit (without mills)

Anderson
Ginobili
Belinelli
Diaw
Baynes

I don't get it. Anderson's main value is his play-making. If Manu is out there next to him, that gets mitigated significantly. Joseph can bring the ball up just fine, and we already know he can score in the paint against NBA-level defenders. It's not clear that Anderson is better than Cory at this moment. Also, there needs to be someone who can defend PGs. An Anderson/Ginobili/Belinelli lineup would be the worst perimeter-defensive unit the Spurs have fielded in a long time (at least since Neal/Ginobili/Jackson, but even then, Manu was younger and Jack could play scrappy one-on-one D when motivated). I don't consider that viable at all.

Russ
10-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Anderson is a sponge. At every level he has compensated for his alleged deficiencies, and this will be no different.

He's just a basketball player.

NickiRasgo
10-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Speaking of Point-Forward.

The Milwaukee Bucks continue to experiment with Giannis Antetokounmpo at point guard and will start him in Tuesday's preseason game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Antetokounmpo will start with Khris Middleton and Jabari Parker on the wings, Ersan Ilyasova at power forward and Zaza Pachulia at center.
Antetokounmpo has grown to nearly seven feet with a 7'3 wingspan, but has flashed the playmaking skills of much smaller players in his brief NBA career.
"We've seen it in practice, and so when you see a player's comfort level with the ball no matter what size, we want to see it in game action," Jason Kidd said back in July (http://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/18/5911411/giannis-antetokounmpo-bucks-possibility-endless-nba-summer-league-2014). "We slowly have started letting him have the ball and running the offense."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235178/Bucks-To-Start-Giannis-Antetokounmpo-At-Point-Guard-In-Next-Game

ceperez
10-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Speaking of Point-Forward.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235178/Bucks-To-Start-Giannis-Antetokounmpo-At-Point-Guard-In-Next-Game

Kyle Anderson has almost a 7'3" wingspan. Not as athletic as the Greek Freak though, but probably higher basketball IQ.

SnakeBoy
10-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Anderson is a sponge. At every level he has compensated for his alleged deficiencies, and this will be no different.

He's just a basketball player.

^this

T Park
10-15-2014, 01:56 AM
Not even playing real games yet and people already giving up on him? I want to say this is a new record but I'm most likely wrong.

xmas1997
10-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Not even playing real games yet and people already giving up on him? I want to say this is a new record but I'm most likely wrong.

And there are those consigning him to the Toros already, . . . er, Spurs. :lol

Mikeanaro
10-15-2014, 09:56 PM
http://stats.nba.com/media/players/230x185/203937.png
Very fascinating head, very very Alien-like so got to be good.

RD2191
10-15-2014, 10:04 PM
http://stats.nba.com/media/players/230x185/203937.png
Very fascinating head, very very Alien-like so got to be good.

Darius McCrary
10-16-2014, 03:25 PM
I feel like his weeble wobble like head is his best asset.

Darius McCrary
10-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Who has the most weeble-wobble head? Kyle Anderson or Patrick Mills?

xmas1997
10-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Who has the most weeble-wobble head? Kyle Anderson or Patrick Mills?

Does it matter when it comes to bobble Heads?

ceperez
10-19-2014, 02:47 PM
More highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P4Z7b560ec

exstatic
10-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Looks like Chip is already having a positive effect on his shot. He's not cocking it back behind his head any more, which quickens his release.

Dex
10-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Looks like Chip is already having a positive effect on his shot. He's not cocking it back behind his head any more, which quickens his release.

Definitely. He's already shown improvement on it quickly...good sign for his overall development.

People still want to keep believing this kid doesn't have the foot speed to belong in the NBA. I still expect them to be wrong. Kid is a basketball player.

ceperez
10-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Definitely. He's already shown improvement on it quickly...good sign for his overall development.

People still want to keep believing this kid doesn't have the foot speed to belong in the NBA. I still expect them to be wrong. Kid is a basketball player.

He's got excellent court vision and awareness for a rookie. Impressive how he knows how to use a change of pace to beat the defender.

He did quite well in overtime defending against quick guards.

exstatic
10-19-2014, 07:31 PM

He was a good pick at 30 just for his rebounding. He was a good pick at 30 just for his shooting. He was a good pick at 30 just for his size/handles. We got all 3 in one package.

Kyle Anderson will have a nice NBA career, and guys drafted well in front of him with high 30s verticals will bust out of the league in 3-5 years.

spurraider21
10-19-2014, 07:44 PM
He was a good pick at 30 just for his rebounding. He was a good pick at 30 just for his shooting. He was a good pick at 30 just for his size/handles. We got all 3 in one package.

Kyle Anderson will have a nice NBA career, and guys drafted well in front of him with high 30s verticals will bust out of the league in 3-5 years.
if only he was also good at killing people named Jeff Ayres

BillMc
10-19-2014, 08:07 PM

This

look_at_g_shred
10-19-2014, 08:24 PM

Exactly. He's better than a lot of lottery picks from the draft. If he had freak athleticism he'd be the number one pick. If people actually understood basketball, they'd know how special of a player KA is, and why he has all the tools to be a great player and have a long career.

BillMc
10-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Exactly. He's better than a lot of lottery picks from the draft. If he had freak athleticism he'd be the number one pick. If people actually understood basketball, they'd know how special of a player KA is, and why he has all the tools to be a great player and have a long career.

It would not surprise me if he is ahead of Joseph and Daye in the rotation by the end of the season, and I could see him getting good minutes on the same order as Patty by the playoffs.

SnakeBoy
10-19-2014, 09:35 PM
It would not surprise me if he is ahead of Joseph and Daye in the rotation by the end of the season, and I could see him getting good minutes on the same order as Patty by the playoffs.

He's already going to be ahead of Daye.

Maddog
10-20-2014, 06:19 AM

He's already going to be ahead of Daye.

Daye was the 15th pick in his draft.
Tells you what a crap shoot the draft can be....

Obstructed_View
10-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Daye was the 15th pick in his draft.
Tells you what a crap shoot the draft can be....

The scouts weren't wrong, though. Daye has a shitload of talent. You can still see it. He's almost 7 feet tall, and he moves like a guard. He can dribble, he can shoot. He just doesn't have the extra gear and doesn't seem to have a basketball brain. He's so talented that despite all that he still manages to do sort of okay. It's maddening. This is probably his last US stop, because teams aren't going to trade for someone that the Spurs couldn't turn into an NBA player.

KL2
10-20-2014, 09:55 AM
I only saw like the first half of last game but from what I saw of him he looked really bad defensively. Granger backed him down with ease a few times, while his lateral movement looked terrible, but I'm not sure how much of that had to do with him guarding a guard.

I fear he'll be a defensive liability in the playoffs, a guy they'll go at every time he's on the floor.

ceperez
10-20-2014, 10:18 AM
The scouts weren't wrong, though. Daye has a shitload of talent. You can still see it. He's almost 7 feet tall, and he moves like a guard. He can dribble, he can shoot. He just doesn't have the extra gear and doesn't seem to have a basketball brain. He's so talented that despite all that he still manages to do sort of okay. It's maddening. This is probably his last US stop, because teams aren't going to trade for someone that the Spurs couldn't turn into an NBA player.

Maddening indeed. He doesn't seem to have improved his mobility. Also doesn't seem to have a killer instinct.

He's going to be the new Matt Bonner.... that guy in the Spurs that we all hate but who's sole purpose in the team is to space the floor.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Maddening indeed. He doesn't seem to have improved his mobility. Also doesn't seem to have a killer instinct.

He's going to be the new Matt Bonner.... that guy in the Spurs that we all hate but who's sole purpose in the team is to space the floor.

He shot decent from distance last game, but prior to that he was in a massive slump. Nobody spreads the floor if they can't make baskets. At least offenses won't fixate on Daye and score on him until the coach is forced to pull him out.

spurspokesman
10-20-2014, 01:49 PM
This guy has the tools to be in this league. I think he will carve out a role for himself

ceperez
10-20-2014, 02:11 PM
He shot decent from distance last game, but prior to that he was in a massive slump. Nobody spreads the floor if they can't make baskets. At least offenses won't fixate on Daye and score on him until the coach is forced to pull him out.

That's what I want to see. I want to see team force the issue and try to score against Daye. I suspect he'll do better than Bonner. There's no substitute for length when it comes to defense. Just ask Tim Duncan.

FireMicoHalili
10-20-2014, 03:06 PM
If Kawhi is out by the opening of the season, do you think Anderson is above Daye in the pecking order? Or is Pop starting Belinelli?

littlecoyotecoin
10-20-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't know about Belli, but Kyle probably gets the nod. He's already played 24 more minutes that Austin. Partially due to Austin's fouling. But, Kyle is out-rebounding him, shooting a better %, fouling less, getting to the line more, assisting better (of course he handles the ball more), better in plus minus...

Austin edges him in fewer turnovers in total and per minute (of course he doesn't handle the ball as much), more steals (3-1), and personally I would give him a slight edge in defense, but they're both suffering there and that's a little more subjective...

If you think that Kyle is a better defender in the paint, then it's a slam dunk for Kyle. I don't think so, but I give him the edge for all the other reasons anyway.

ceperez
10-20-2014, 06:45 PM
If Kawhi is out by the opening of the season, do you think Anderson is above Daye in the pecking order? Or is Pop starting Belinelli?

Spurs list Austin Daye as a SF and Anderson as a SG, whatever that means!

ceperez
10-20-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't know about Belli, but Kyle probably gets the nod. He's already played 24 more minutes that Austin. Partially due to Austin's fouling. But, Kyle is out-rebounding him, shooting a better %, fouling less, getting to the line more, assisting better (of course he handles the ball more), better in plus minus...

Austin edges him in fewer turnovers in total and per minute (of course he doesn't handle the ball as much), more steals (3-1), and personally I would give him a slight edge in defense, but they're both suffering there and that's a little more subjective...

If you think that Kyle is a better defender in the paint, then it's a slam dunk for Kyle. I don't think so, but I give him the edge for all the other reasons anyway.

KA seems to have the go signal to handle the ball and make plays. I don't see Daye doing that. Daye's job appears to be as simple as Bonner's job. To think that KA is just a rookie!

littlecoyotecoin
10-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Spurs list Austin Daye as a SF and Anderson as a SG, whatever that means!

Yeah. They have to list them at something. Kyle is a 1,2,3,4 and Daye a 3,4 and neither are any one of those positions very definitively.

HI-FI
10-20-2014, 07:37 PM
i liked the pick, wish he was faster but can't have it all, not at end of the draft anyways. he looks very instinctive and natural out there and will only get better.

if only he was also good at killing people named Jeff Ayres

nice bait.

BatManu20
10-20-2014, 07:52 PM
My man KA is going to be just fine tbh. He'll prove the doubters wrong. I've watched him closely since his Freshman year at UCLA. Saw him play in person last season at Pauley Pavilion. The kid is a basketball player. He's not going to jump out of the gym and he's not going to be an All-Star. But, for the 30th pick overall, he's going to be a steal. Just watch.

eDizzle20
10-21-2014, 07:38 AM
KA definitely stuffed the stat sheet last night. Depending on status of Kawhi's eye infection it's not unreasonable to think he may be starting at the 3 opening night.

bulakenyo
10-21-2014, 08:21 AM
KA definitely stuffed the stat sheet last night. Depending on status of Kawhi's eye infection it's not unreasonable to think he may be starting at the 3 opening night.

Details?

tmtcsc
10-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Oh yeah it is. Very unreasonable. He'd get torched by Chandler Parsons. The Spurs would start a veteran in his place.

Raven
10-21-2014, 09:30 AM

no fuckin way

10-21-2014, 09:42 AM

:lmao

Dverde
10-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Pop will never do that. He will be lucky to get more than 10 minutes a game to begin the season. I think Daye or Beli would get the start.

Mr. Body
10-21-2014, 09:58 AM
I think KA will wind up taking Patty's role in the 2nd unit until Mills comes back. I think he jumps over Joseph.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Pop will never do that. He will be lucky to get more than 10 minutes a game to begin the season. I think Daye or Beli would get the start.

He's more likely to do it in game 1 than in game 40. KA will have to play really solid ball between now and then.

look_at_g_shred
10-22-2014, 12:32 PM
He's more likely to do it in game 1 than in game 40. KA will have to play really solid ball between now and then.

xmas1997
10-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Don't think this was posted yet:

Anderson shines offensively in Spurs’ overtime preseason loss to Heat
Posted by Paul Garcia on Oct 18, 2014 23:17

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/anderson-shines-offensively-in-spurs-overtime-preseason-loss-to-heat.html

AT&T CENTER – “I liked Kyle (Anderson) and Cory (Joseph,” said Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich Saturday after the Spurs fell to the Miami Heat in overtime 111-108.

“They played a lot of minutes and didn’t get too much rest,” continued Popovich. “I thought they were really active and played pretty smart.”

Anderson, who started his third straight game (since Kawhi Leonard is expected to miss the remainder of the preseason with a right eye infection), finished with 17 points on 4-of-9 shooting, seven rebounds, four assists, and two turnovers in 32 minutes of play.

“It was great to play out there in front of some San Antonio fans, it was a great crowd,” said Anderson. “I think we played well collectively.”

“I think I’m getting there each and every time,” continued Anderson on his development. “There’s times where I’m a little lost out there, but that’s what preseason is for, that’s what Summer League is for.”

As for going into an overtime simulation through a preseason game, Anderson saw it as a benefit.

“That helped a lot,” said Anderson. “To be out there and get that under your belt in preseason is great.”

In the first quarter alone, Anderson finished with a strong eight points, by drawing shooting fouls, and making two corner 3-pointers on offense. The corner three is something Anderson said he’s worked on.

“A lot,” said Anderson of the work he’s put on his 3-point shot. “I put a lot of time in, a lot of reps. One of the things I wanted to get used to was shooting the ball out of the corner, it’s something I’ve been working on.”

Another aspect of Anderson’s game that’s been observed through three preseason games is his ability to draw contact and head to the free throw line. Saturday showcased that skill, as Anderson visited the line four times and made 7-of-8 free throws.

“Yeah, being able to draw fouls, using my body, I use that to my advantage,” said Anderson.

While Anderson was able to score the ball, grab rebounds, and find his teammates for four assists, he still has a lot of work to do on the defensive end, as he got beat by multiple Heat players off the dribble like Danny Granger, Mario Chalmers, and Tyler Johnson on different possession’s in the game.

“Kyle’s a good player,” said Spurs guard Manu Ginobili after the game. “He just needs time like every other player.”

Chinook
10-22-2014, 01:07 PM
I think Anderson will have to become very conservative in his one-on-one defense. He doesn't have the athleticism to recover well if he reaches. Really, very few do, but that's especially true for Kyle. Instead, he just need to focus on funneling his man to his help. After he does that, then he can help out by going for blocks or steals.

Dverde
10-22-2014, 01:23 PM

No way KA starts on ring night.

Brazil
10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm pretty happy with his preseason so far... I'd say he is above expectations at least mines

the fact his release is a bit quicker now means he is learning fast. Sometimes when you change your shooting habits, your efficiency plummet but not him that's a good sign.

I agree with Chinook on defense, he needs to limit his ambition and be happy to funnel his guy

ChumpDumper
10-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Don't think this was posted yet:You should post these like Express News articles so the site can get some traffic.

Maddog
10-22-2014, 02:31 PM
I think Anderson will have to become very conservative in his one-on-one defense. He doesn't have the athleticism to recover well if he reaches. Really, very few do, but that's especially true for Kyle. Instead, he just need to focus on funneling his man to his help. After he does that, then he can help out by going for blocks or steals.
I was trying to think of any other really slow players in the Spurs defensive system and how they coped.
Steve Smith lacked a lot of mobility by the time he arrived. Don't remember how they hid his deficiencies - now that I think about it the 01 team with Ferry at the 3

lefty
10-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Watched Open Court and all the guys especially Reggie Miller said he was a great pick for us

Ice009
10-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Watched Open Court and all the guys especially Reggie Miller said he was a great pick for us

Didn't Reggie Miller play for UCLA? Knowing that, I thought that Miller would automatically give him props.

T Park
10-28-2014, 02:39 AM

Wouldn't be shocked if he hasn't shown significant gains by March that he's gone.

Fireball
10-28-2014, 02:55 AM

I saw that too and was surprised ... in the season preview show they started talking about rookies and the first thing they talked about was Anderson. I give a crap what Miller thinks, but the whole group agreed. We know he will only play this season if the injury plague hits us again, but I already like his play. He does everything slow, but it does not hurt because he seems to think a lot faster than his opponents ...

toki9
10-28-2014, 03:15 AM

UCLA connection?