PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: Blazers beat Clippers with 3s, McCollum

tlongII
10-13-2014, 12:54 PM
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/236711-102056-blazers-beat-clippers-with-3s-mccollum

With two minutes remaining in the first half Sunday night at Moda Center, Los Angeles Clippers reserve guard Jamal Crawford took the ball out of bounds on the side. He tossed the ball to point guard Chris Paul, who was looking in the opposite direction. The ball hit Paul on the side of the head, drawing laughs throughout the arena, as Paul gave Crawford a “what the heck” look, corralled the ball and began moving up the court.

Later, Crawford smiled about the play.

“Chris is our quarterback,” Crawford said. “He was already setting something up. That was my fault. I wasn’t paying attention. The ref was talking, so I tried to hurry up and get the ball in. That was all me. It was my fault. Totally.”

Well, it is still preseason, folks.

And, while neither team looked crisp, the Trail Blazers were just a little sharper than the Clippers in a 119-114 victory before an announced crowd of 17,784.

It was the Blazers' first exhibition win. Portland (1-2) lost its opening games to the Utah Jazz.

"Finally," Blazers guard Wesley Matthews said.

“Even though it’s preseason, it’s good to get a win,” coach Terry Stotts said.

Los Angeles fell to 0-2.

Portland will now have time back on the practice court before playing host to Maccabi Haifa, an Israeli pro team at 7 p.m. Friday. The Blazers will then finish the preseason with road games against the Denver Nuggets (Oct. 21), the Los Angeles Lakers (Oct. 22) and the Clippers (Oct. 24).

The 3-ball decided Sunday's game. After making just eight total 3-pointers in their first two games (8 of 39, 20.5 percent), Portland sank 17 of 25 (.680) and Los Angeles was 19 of 39 (.487).

“It was a heck of a weapon tonight for both teams,” Paul said. “They really shot the ball extremely well tonight, and a few guys for our team did.”

From the field, Portland was 41 of 76 (.539), Los Angeles 41 of 94 (.436).

“The shooting today was phenomenal,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. “But I would say that both coaches are probably not happy with their defense.”

With point guard Damian Lillard missing his second consecutive game with a left foot strain, Stotts chose to start second-year pro C.J. McCollum over veteran Steve Blake, who got the nod in the last game against the Jazz.

“With Damian out, it gives you an opportunity to try things like that,” Stotts said. “That’s what the preseason is for. Steve’s going to be coming off the bench during the season, so it allowed him to come in and play with some of the guys off the bench.”

McCollum rewarded Stotts with 19 points, which matched his regular season career high. He was 7 of 12 from the field, including 5 of 8 from the 3-point line.

“I like him,” Rivers said, of McCollum. “I’ve always liked him. He can score. The point isn’t his natural position, but he can run that position. He’s going to be a good player in the league for a long time.”

Matthews had a team-high 22 points on 8-of-13 shooting. His 11 points in the first quarter gave Portland a 29-20 lead.

“The ball was just moving,” Matthews said. “We’re a lot better shooting team than we’ve shown in this preseason. As preseason goes on, we’re going to start to get back into game form, regular season form and regular season shape, regular season rhythm. Tonight was a step in that direction."

Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge had a rough night from the field, going 4 of 13. Aldridge was able to hit all eight of his free throws, though, and finish with 16 points.

“He’s a great player,” Clippers forward Blake Griffin said. “He’s going to get points no matter if he shoots well or not.”

The Blazers took a 54-45 lead into intermission and an 88-74 lead into the fourth quarter. Both teams then pulled their starters, with the exception of McCollum.

The Blazers reserves were just able to hold on to the lead, as Los Angeles outscored Portland 40-31 in the period. Crawford scored 17 of his game-high 23 points in the quarter, and Clippers reserve Jordan Farmar scored 11 of his 13. Thomas Robinson carried Portland in the quarter, scoring all 10 of his points.

“That’s one of the strengths for both teams -- the bench,” Crawford said.

Paul and Spencer Hawes had 15 points each for the Clippers. J.J. Redick had 14, and DeAndre Jordan scored 11. Griffin was held to just nine.

Nicolas Batum scored 13 points for Portland, and Chris Kaman and Will Barton came off the bench to score 12 and 10 points, respectively.

Kaman also provided grit for Portland on defense, with two blocked shots to go along with five personal fouls.

“He’s a veteran,” said Rivers, of Kaman, who played for the Clippers last season. “He knows how to play. When he stays engaged like that, he’s really good. He was great tonight.”

NOTES: The Blazers' previous high this preseason was 105 points. … Portland center Meyers Leonard was inactive with a thoracic strain. … The Blazers are 18-5 all-time against Los Angeles in preseason (9-2 at home). … Portland made 20 of 23 (.870) foul line and is 64 of 72 (.888) in three exhibition games.

Spur-Addict
10-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Same game, could've grouped with the other thread highlighting Wes Matthews.

Chris
10-13-2014, 01:17 PM
:lol

illusioNtEk
10-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Mathews looks like he put alot of work this off season.

illusioNtEk
10-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Mathews looks like he put alot of work this off season... might just be what Portland needs to get over the hump.

Also Lopez needs to grow some balls and attack any penetrators.

Dex
10-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Wait we're doing this shit again? :vomit:

Killakobe81
10-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Blazers best hope for playoff advancement is a rematch with the Rox,

Lakers would be even bigger fodder but I doubt we make the 'offs ...

sook
10-13-2014, 10:22 PM
fuck mathews