PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Nets-Celtics To Try 44 Minute Game

Shastafarian
10-14-2014, 01:35 PM
The Brooklyn Nets and Boston Celtics will play a 44-minute preseason game Sunday -- four minutes shorter than the standard NBA game.

The league announced the decision Tuesday, with NBA president of basketball operations Rod Thorn saying it will test out the idea of playing a shorter game, a notion that was broached during offseason discussions.

"At our recent coaches' meeting, we had a discussion about the length of our games, and it was suggested that we consider experimenting with a shorter format," Thorn said in a statement. "After consulting with our Competition Committee, we agreed to allow the Nets and Celtics to play a 44-minute preseason game in order to give us some preliminary data that will help us to further analyze game-time lengths."

To get the game down to 44 minutes, each quarter will be shortened from 12 minutes down to 11, and the number of mandatory timeouts will be pared down from three to two.

"When this idea came up at the coaches' meeting, I thought it was a unique experiment that was worth participating in," Nets coach Lionel Hollins said in the statement. "I'm looking forward to gauging its impact on the flow of the game. Since there is a shorter clock, it affects playing time, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays into substitution patterns."

Around the league players were questioned on their thoughts about the shortened game possibilities. When reached for comment Kobe Bryant exclaimed, "This is amazing news because maybe now I'll only be at -35 for a game instead of -39."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11700335/brooklyn-nets-boston-celtics-play-44-minute-preseason-game

ohmwrecker
10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Shorten the season. Games are fine.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Obviously a conspiracy against the Spurs.

phyzik
10-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Obviously a conspiracy against the Spurs.

Actually, I bet Pop and the Spurs would be quite happy with a shortened game being able to manage even less minutes for our guys.

lefty
10-14-2014, 01:56 PM

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Totally this ^

2 games against everyone - home and away. No back to backs with traveling, though 2 home games back to back are fine.

Dex
10-14-2014, 02:04 PM
This is probably all Kobe's idea. He's :cry tired from all the practice :cry

spurraider21
10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
This is probably all Kobe's idea. He's :cry tired from all the practice :cry
nah he probably wants longer games so he can jack up more shots

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Actually, I bet Pop and the Spurs would be quite happy with a shortened game being able to manage even less minutes for our guys.

I agree wholeheartedly. Just playing the part of GNSFs everywhere. However I have to think this idea gained some steam after the most heavily minute-managed team in NBA history won a title. Obviously the amount of big names suffering season ending and likely career shortening injuries is the big concern here.

Holden_Caulfield
10-14-2014, 02:17 PM
the nba wont make as much money :cry

KaiRMD1
10-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Around the league players were questioned on their thoughts about the shortened game possibilities. When reached for comment Kobe Bryant exclaimed, "This is amazing news because maybe now I'll only be at -35 for a game instead of -39."

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1191763/laughing-puppets-o.gif

elmanutres
10-14-2014, 02:39 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QteeStQxmDs/UVzANQ2VbwI/AAAAAAAAKhk/nFI9J_GT0Vw/s1600/Vince-McMahon-distraught.gif

diego
10-14-2014, 02:39 PM
the logical thing is to either shorten the season (like BG_S_F says, another benefit of that is that weak conferences / divisions no longer get the benefit of playing more amongst themselves), OR, shorten the games; but if you were to shorten the games, the logical thing would be to do 40 minutes / 5 fouls like FIBA.

FIBA is adopting basically every NBA rule except for the 48min/ 6 fouls. Id rather see the season shorter than the games, but it would also be nice if NBA / FIBA rules were the same.

da_suns_fan
10-14-2014, 02:46 PM
The Brooklyn Nets and Boston Celtics will play a 44-minute preseason game Sunday -- four minutes shorter than the standard NBA game.

The league announced the decision Tuesday, with NBA president of basketball operations Rod Thorn saying it will test out the idea of playing a shorter game, a notion that was broached during offseason discussions.

"At our recent coaches' meeting, we had a discussion about the length of our games, and it was suggested that we consider experimenting with a shorter format," Thorn said in a statement. "After consulting with our Competition Committee, we agreed to allow the Nets and Celtics to play a 44-minute preseason game in order to give us some preliminary data that will help us to further analyze game-time lengths."

To get the game down to 44 minutes, each quarter will be shortened from 12 minutes down to 11, and the number of mandatory timeouts will be pared down from three to two.

"When this idea came up at the coaches' meeting, I thought it was a unique experiment that was worth participating in," Nets coach Lionel Hollins said in the statement. "I'm looking forward to gauging its impact on the flow of the game. Since there is a shorter clock, it affects playing time, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays into substitution patterns."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11700335/brooklyn-nets-boston-celtics-play-44-minute-preseason-game

Genius.

Malik Hairston
10-14-2014, 02:48 PM

:lmao..

unforeseen
10-14-2014, 02:53 PM
LeBron James could miss his next 1,593 shots and still have a higher career FG% than Kobe Bryant.

http://thesportsquotient.com/stat/nba/6682

RD2191
10-14-2014, 03:45 PM
:lol

Splits
10-14-2014, 04:09 PM
:lmao

Johnsyounger
10-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Saw another article were they may experiment with less free throws. If you get fouled you get one shot that counts as a 2 pts for 2 pt attempt and 3 for a 3 point attempt. Hate this.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/70581/hoopidea-is-one-trip-to-the-free-throw-line-enough

KaiRMD1
10-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Saw another article were they may experiment with less free throws. If you get fouled you get one shot that counts as a 2 pts for 2 pt attempt and 3 for a 3 point attempt. Hate this.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/70581/hoopidea-is-one-trip-to-the-free-throw-line-enough

OKC will average less free throws but make it easier to win by hook or crook

Franklin
10-14-2014, 10:50 PM
If the 44-min game rule had been applied a year and a half ago they Spurs would've already got 6 rings tbh.

99 Problems
10-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Basketball must remain seen as a serious sport. Must remain at 48 minutes for the future. I've seen enough of the 40 minute game, it's horrible.

ducks
10-15-2014, 10:05 AM
think they should elimante the back to back games better basketball leave it alone

DMC
10-15-2014, 10:07 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. Just playing the part of GNSFs everywhere. However I have to think this idea gained some steam after the most heavily minute-managed team in NBA history won a title. Obviously the amount of big names suffering season ending and likely career shortening injuries is the big concern here.

Not because they won the title, but because they broke the NBA's anus when they broke the Miami money machine. As much as the NBA commissioner and other team's owners and coaches talk about the Spurs' culture, they want no part of it. They are in it for instant gratification, win now or get the fuck out. You can bet that, with a shorter game, the game air time won't change. There will only be more commercials. As it was, they would have had to extend air time to get more revenue, now they just cut from the other end of the rope. They give less, make more, players are happy, coaches are happy, fans get fucked.

To be honest though, it doesn't matter. It might help stop some trash time D-league shit, and keep shitty rotational players off the floor most of the game so stars can be on the TV screen for more of the actual game (but not for a longer time).

baseline bum
10-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I think it's funny seeing Spurs fans want shorter games and less games per season, considering each of those would nullify the Spurs greatest competitive advantage: being able to build deep teams without an MVP candidate. What you guys are talking about would benefit the Thunder more than anyone.

baseline bum
10-15-2014, 10:14 AM
If the 44-min game rule had been applied a year and a half ago they Spurs would've already got 6 rings tbh.

No they wouldn't; Miami had the lead until Parker hit that three to tie it with a little more than a minute left in 6.

MolaMola790
10-15-2014, 02:24 PM
I think the season and game length is fine the way it is.....

Franklin
10-15-2014, 09:49 PM
agree, shorter and less games will most of all benefit those who have stacked starting 5 but little-to-no bench (Lockets, Thunder etc...)

Seventyniner
10-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Not necessary. Just move the game faster during FTs. Once the shooter gets the ball, he has 3 seconds to shoot. If he doesn't, it's treated like an airball.

ElNono
10-16-2014, 05:12 PM
So are we going to get a 9% discount in ticket prices if this pans out?

Fireball
10-17-2014, 08:12 AM
I think it's funny seeing Spurs fans want shorter games and less games per season, considering each of those would nullify the Spurs greatest competitive advantage: being able to build deep teams without an MVP candidate. What you guys are talking about would benefit the Thunder more than anyone. Exactly this ... minute management would not be such an issue anymore for other teams. I do not see a change happening though. Less games could be happening if owners and players are willing to make less money.

Sportstudi
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
If anything, stretch out the season by 2-3 weeks and get rid of the back-to-backs. 48 minutes are absolutely fine, not that big of an issue. And to get a better floww of the game, just cut 1-2 timeouts and stop whistling so many FT's on flopping. And improve the 2-minute rule. In the end of the games sometimes these 2 minutes take over 10 minutes to be played.