PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney concert

cantthinkofanything
10-14-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm not a huge Beatles fan. Like a lot of their songs but never really got into them. Didn't listen to Wings at all other than whatever made the classic rock rotation. And certainly haven't paid any attention to the solo stuff. But my daughter has gotten into the Beatles so we took her to see Paul McCartney last night. I'd heard he put on a good show but wasn't really thinking much about it.

That being said, it was one of the best concerts I've been to. He has an amazing band and does a great job of mixing in a few of his songs with all of the classics. And the band plays many of the songs way heavier than the Beatles did. He's also a pretty funny dude and tells some pretty good stories in between the songs. Did an instrumental of Foxy Lady. Ukelele version of Something. Huge pyrotechnics and fireworks on Live and Let Die. Lots of standout moments.

Including 2 encores, he played about 3 hours. Other than the short time between the encores, he never left the stage. Not bad for a 72 year old dude.

I came out of it with some new respect for Sir Paul McCartney.

Avante
10-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Back in the 60's I didn't care much for The Beatles, I didn't get what they were doing. More into the harder edged Stones. Animals, Doors. Now I get it, they are without question the most talented band we've seen. Amazing!

cantthinkofanything
10-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Back in the 60's I didn't care much for The Beatles, I didn't get what they were doing. More into the harder edged Stones. Animals, Doors. Now I get it, they are without question the most talented band we've seen. Amazing!

Yes! That was EXACTLY my point. McCartney's great show totally proves how talented the Beatles were.

Avante
10-14-2014, 03:26 PM
About five years ago a buddy of mine downloaded all his Beatles (everything they did as a band) albums for me as I turned him on to my blues CD's to download. I didn't have the heart to tell me I wasn't all that into them. Then out of boredom I started listening to them, in a word....wow! I've now heard everything they did together, they are on a whole other level.

sandman
10-15-2014, 05:23 AM
I'm not a huge Beatles fan. Like a lot of their songs but never really got into them. Didn't listen to Wings at all other than whatever made the classic rock rotation. And certainly haven't paid any attention to the solo stuff. But my daughter has gotten into the Beatles so we took her to see Paul McCartney last night. I'd heard he put on a good show but wasn't really thinking much about it.

That being said, it was one of the best concerts I've been to. He has an amazing band and does a great job of mixing in a few of his songs with all of the classics. And the band plays many of the songs way heavier than the Beatles did. He's also a pretty funny dude and tells some pretty good stories in between the songs. Did an instrumental of Foxy Lady. Ukelele version of Something. Huge pyrotechnics and fireworks on Live and Let Die. Lots of standout moments.

Including 2 encores, he played about 3 hours. Other than the short time between the encores, he never left the stage. Not bad for a 72 year old dude.

I came out of it with some new respect for Sir Paul McCartney.

Earlier this year my wife was walking around Covent Garden here in London. All of a sudden, Paul McCartney jumped up on a stage put up for another event and did an impromptu 30-minute concert. She said even in that setting he did one of the best concerts she had ever seen.

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2014, 10:22 AM
JOHN>PAUL? Talent wise? overall?

mrsmaalox
10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
I went to see Ringo instead.

lefty
10-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Who did you like in 1930 ?

mrsmaalox
10-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Who did you like in 1930 ?

Someone who was blind no doubt.

cantthinkofanything
10-15-2014, 11:33 AM

How was it? He was actually in the area two days prior to Paul McCartney. That would have been the show that I would have seen myself. But it was for my daughter's b-day and she's a Beatles fan. Although, I'm glad I went.
The Ringo concert would have been...

Kid: this is boring...what song is this
Me: that's fucking Todd Rundgren...have some respect. And that guy is from Toto.

Infinite_limit
10-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Still pop in a Beatles album on a monthly basis. Definitely the best artist of all time

mingus
10-16-2014, 05:02 AM
There's not a better album than The White Album IMO. And as much as I like the 'Stones, the Beatles are on a level of their own.

mingus
10-16-2014, 05:06 AM
JOHN>PAUL? Talent wise? overall?

Both are great in their own way. Apples and oranges IMO.

cantthinkofanything
10-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Both are great in their own way. Apples and oranges IMO.

Word. Over the last month or so, I've gained much more appreciation for the Beatles than I ever had. George was an amazing songwriter as well. I think I probably have 3 of his songs in my top 10 Beatles songs. I think of my kid listening to them and appreciating their songs. Can't think of any other band as timeless to date. It would be akin to me liking 30's music when I was her age.

The Reckoning
10-16-2014, 08:56 AM

such a hipster

The Reckoning
10-16-2014, 08:57 AM
slumbers-carry that weight- then end.

strikes a nerve with me. good stuff.

cantthinkofanything
10-16-2014, 09:14 AM
slumbers-carry that weight- then end.

strikes a nerve with me. good stuff.

totally. I intentionally hadn't looked at the set list before hand. So I figured he was done after Yesterday. Then after blowing out Helter Skelter, I was sure they were going to walk off. Great way to end the show with the last three.
I really never paid much attention to Wings. Had heard a few songs but after hearing it live, I'm really digging nineteen hundred and eight five and checking out their catalog. Looking back, I think what might of turned me away from taking him seriouly were the 80's songs with Michael Jackson and Steve Wonder. Or maybe it was the cheesy videos that went with them. In any event, I'm a big fan.

mrsmaalox
10-16-2014, 09:46 AM
How was it? He was actually in the area two days prior to Paul McCartney. That would have been the show that I would have seen myself. But it was for my daughter's b-day and she's a Beatles fan. Although, I'm glad I went.
The Ringo concert would have been...

Kid: this is boring...what song is this
Me: that's fucking Todd Rundgren...have some respect. And that guy is from Toto.

I'd have been the same way as your kid at the McCartney show. I absolutely recognize what an amazing influence his career has been and that he helped set the standard for everyone else, but I've never been a big Beatles fan, and Wings even less. 2 hours of Paul would have bored me to tears.

Ringo is probably the least Beatle-y of the bunch. But I went to the show to see Todd Rundgren :) I've seen several of his shows, and while this was an ensemble thing, anyone who has done any exploration of his musical mind will take the opportunity to appreciate him in any setting. Ringo was great too, very jolly, energetic, personable and just having fun jamming with his friends. By the time they covered all music that the guys on stage were a part of, it was full blown party into the past; it was a really fun time for both the audience and artists.

cantthinkofanything
10-16-2014, 09:51 AM
I'd have been the same way as your kid at the McCartney show. I absolutely recognize what an amazing influence his career has been and that he helped set the standard for everyone else, but I've never been a big Beatles fan, and Wings even less. 2 hours of Paul would have bored me to tears.

Ringo is probably the least Beatle-y of the bunch. But I went to the show to see Todd Rundgren :) I've seen several of his shows, and while this was an ensemble thing, anyone who has done any exploration of his musical mind will take the opportunity to appreciate him in any setting. Ringo was great too, very jolly, energetic, personable and just having fun jamming with his friends. By the time they covered all music that the guys on stage were a part of, it was full blown party into the past; it was a really fun time for both the audience and artists.

I looked at the set list from the Ringo thing. I have no doubt that was a cool show to take in and see all that done live. If they come around again, I'll be sure to check it out.

cantthinkofanything
10-16-2014, 09:52 AM
I looked at the set list from the Ringo thing. I have no doubt that was a cool show to take in and see all that done live. If they come around again, I'll be sure to check it out.

and it wasn't 2 hours of Paul. It was damn near 3. Besides being a good show, it got me thinking I need to get in better shape and maybe become Vegan.

mingus
10-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Word. Over the last month or so, I've gained much more appreciation for the Beatles than I ever had. George was an amazing songwriter as well. I think I probably have 3 of his songs in my top 10 Beatles songs. I think of my kid listening to them and appreciating their songs. Can't think of any other band as timeless to date. It would be akin to me liking 30's music when I was her age.

I was lucky. My dad exposed me to them early around 15. I'm 25 now so I've been listening to them for some time and listen to them as much now as I ever did. George has some great songs. Hard to make a list of top Beatles songs though. IMO they have like 30 songs that on any given day I'll think is their best. If you really made me choose what their best 10 song are though It'd go like this:

1) Dear Prudence
2) Mother Nature's Son
3) Ticket to Ride
4) I am the Walrus
5) Yesterday
6) Here Comes the Sun
7) Hey Jude
8) Elenor Rigby
9) In My Life
10) Norwegian Wood

spurraider21
10-17-2014, 03:58 AM
when it comes to favorite beatles songs, there's definitely a bunch that come to mind, but i always have a soft spot for the first song on their first album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsgWfAilIEM

oh and i was always a McCartney guy

DeadlyDynasty
10-17-2014, 05:20 AM
My 5 faves:

1. A Day in the Life
2. I've Just Seen a Face
3. Golden Slumbers et al
4. In My Life
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun

cantthinkofanything
10-17-2014, 10:03 AM
I was lucky. My dad exposed me to them early around 15. I'm 25 now so I've been listening to them for some time and listen to them as much now as I ever did. George has some great songs. Hard to make a list of top Beatles songs though. IMO they have like 30 songs that on any given day I'll think is their best. If you really made me choose what their best 10 song are though It'd go like this:

1) Dear Prudence
2) Mother Nature's Son
3) Ticket to Ride
4) I am the Walrus
5) Yesterday
6) Here Comes the Sun
7) Hey Jude
8) Elenor Rigby
9) In My Life
10) Norwegian Wood

That really hammers home one a huge benefit of digital music. My parents grew up with records and when I was young, things had just moved to cassettes. So, I'd hear some music around the house once in a while like some Motown or Beatles. But it certainly wasn't portable. So when MTV came out, that's where most of my likes came from. Luckily I've been able to share my stuff with my kid. And now, we're both going through the Beatles catalog together. I've gotten to hear some songs I hadn't in the past but my top 10 still hasn't changed much. Hard to put in exact order though.

1) Hear Comes the Sun
2) Come Together
3) Something
4) Eleanor Rigby
5) We Can Work it Out
6) Yesterday
7) Helter Skelter
8) Don't Let Me Down
9) While My Guitar
10) Blackbird