PDA

View Full Version : Nice write-up on the Kawhi extension situation

SpursFan86
10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-rookie-extensions-kawhi-leonard/

Long article, but it goes very in-depth and provides some nice analysis as opposed to "Kawhi is young and shows promise! He deserves the max!".

lefty
10-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Not to mention he turns down daughters

look_at_g_shred
10-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Not to mention he turns down daughters
Bruh :sleep

Chinook
10-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Eh, we've hammered that out over the course of several threads. Nothing new here.

TheyCallMePro
10-15-2014, 05:59 PM
"Leonard is so good other teams may be loathe to offer him the max in the summer of 2015, tying up their cap space for three critical days knowing the Spurs will undoubtedly match."

What a ridiculous statement. "3 critical days???" PLEASE! Free agency lasts for MONTHS and every free agent waits for other players offer sheets to be matched so that the most teams can get in the bidding for their own services. No team would hesitate to offer a player if they really wanted them. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Richie
10-15-2014, 06:33 PM
"Leonard is so good other teams may be loathe to offer him the max in the summer of 2015, tying up their cap space for three critical days knowing the Spurs will undoubtedly match."

What a ridiculous statement. "3 critical days???" PLEASE! Free agency lasts for MONTHS and every free agent waits for other players offer sheets to be matched so that the most teams can get in the bidding for their own services. No team would hesitate to offer a player if they really wanted them. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

That's definitely not true, a lot can happen in 3 days. In the NBA once one domino falls, the rest surely follow. A team could easily miss out on a player they want being salary dumped along with a pick, such as Jarrett Jack or Jeremy Lin.

The whole point is, why tie up your cap for those three days when it is guaranteed the other team will match? There's no benefit to it at all.

Mel_13
10-15-2014, 06:36 PM
That's definitely not true, a lot can happen in 3 days. In the NBA once one domino falls, the rest surely follow. A team could easily miss out on a player they want being salary dumped along with a pick, such as Jarrett Jack or Jeremy Lin.

The whole point is, why tie up your cap for those three days when it is guaranteed the other team will match? There's no benefit to it at all.

Everyone thought that Houston would match any offer for Parsons. There are no guarantees in these situations. If the Spurs don't reach an agreement on extension with Leonard, there will be risks associated with that decision.

TheyCallMePro
10-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Everyone thought that Houston would match any offer for Parsons. There are no guarantees in these situations. If the Spurs don't reach an agreement on extension with Leonard, there will be risks associated with that decision.

But if Leonard wants the max, the Spurs might as well let the market determine his value in restricted free agency. I think Leonard is a 10-12 million a year player, and I doubt anyone would offer him 20 mil/year in free agency. Especially if his role and production don't increase exponentially this season.

exstatic
10-15-2014, 08:53 PM
But if Leonard wants the max, the Spurs might as well let the market determine his value in restricted free agency. I think Leonard is a 10-12 million a year player, and I doubt anyone would offer him 20 mil/year in free agency. Especially if his role and production don't increase exponentially this season.

He can't be paid $20M by anyone, including the Spurs. Your MAX is based on your years in the NBA. I believe that Kawhi's is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-16M per year on this next contract.

They do need to add a clause where he must sign daughtergraphs, though...

UZER
10-15-2014, 11:37 PM
He can't be paid $20M by anyone, including the Spurs. Your MAX is based on your years in the NBA. I believe that Kawhi's is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-16M per year on this next contract.

They do need to add a clause where he must sign daughtergraphs, though...

I don't want the puppy eating, kitty beating player in this community.

But that's just my 2centsworth.

DPG21920
10-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Eh, we've hammered that out over the course of several threads. Nothing new here.

:lol that's such a ST statement. Still a good little article.

SupremeGuy
10-16-2014, 12:52 PM

They do need to add a clause where he must sign daughtergraphs, though...:lmao