PDA

View Full Version : Giants concerned about Ebola before making trip to face Cowboys

Chris
10-16-2014, 06:58 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/giants-concerned-about-ebola-before-making-trip-face-cowboys-101614

http://a1.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/nfl/images/2014/10/16/101614-NFL-giants-eli-manning-prior-to-game-ahn-PI.vadapt.955.medium.0.jpg

The Cowboys may have another aspect of home-field advantage on Sunday: Ebola paranoia.

The New York Giants admit some caution regarding the three cases of Ebola virus that have been diagnosed in Dallas.

Sunday's game is being played 20 miles away in Arlington.

Giants center J.D. Walton is from Allen, a suburb north of Dallas, but said his wife and 1-year-old child may not make the trip.

"I'm not even sure if I'm going home next week during the bye," Walton told NJ.com.

Earlier this week, Giants players and staff were given a fact sheet, prepared by the Duke Infection Control Outreach Network, outlining the basics about Ebola.

"Our athletic trainers and team physicians have been briefed on the scope of the Ebola-virus disease," Pat Hanlon, Giants senior VP of communications said in an e-mail to the New York Post. "We have distributed a fact sheet to our employees and distributed similar information to our players electronically."

The three cases of Ebola diagnosed in Dallas have been limited to Thomas Eric Duncan, who was infected in Liberia and later died from the disease, and two nurses who cared for him while he was hospitalized. So far, no one else who came in contact with Duncan has developed symptoms.

"I don't worry about myself or the team," quarterback Eli Manning told The Post. "I think what we're doing, where we're staying, I think we'll be OK."

Other Giants aren't so sure and may change their travel plans.

"I think guys might think twice if they were planning to bring their wives or their families with them on a trip like this, because why take a chance?" cornerback Prince Amukamara told ESPN.com. "But I think the team is doing a good job making sure we have all of the information we need."

Logic says that if any team should be worried, it's the home team. However, Ebola hasn't been much of a topic at the Cowboys' Valley Ranch practice facility.

"Really haven't [addressed it], to be honest with you," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Wednesday during a conference call with Giants media. "I don't think it's directly affected us, so it has not been something we addressed directly with out players."