PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Jordan ethers Lebron and Dirk over the 82 game issue

Thebesteva
10-16-2014, 09:29 PM
:rollin

“I love both of those guys but as an owner who played the game, I loved playing,” Jordan told ESPN.com during a telephone interview. “If I wasn’t playing 82 games, I still would’ve been playing somewhere else because that’s the love for the game I had. As a player, I never thought 82 games was an issue.

“But if that’s what they want to do, we as owners and players can evaluate it and talk about it. But we’d make less money as partners. Are they ready to give up
money to play fewer games? That’s the question because you can’t make the same amount of money playing fewer games.”

“I would never shorten the game by four minutes,” said Jordan, who owns the Charlotte Hornets, “unless guys were having physical issues.”

Clipper Nation
10-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Dad Killer super salty per the usual :lol

He should STFU and be grateful about how Stern covered up his betting on basketball, something that would never be done for LeBron or Dirk....

Thebesteva
10-16-2014, 09:36 PM

He should STFU and be grateful about how Stern covered up his betting on basketball, something that would never be done for LeBron or Dirk....

Do you think there should be less games? I mean its pretty odd on how much Lebron is trying to soften the game with flopping and shortening the season

Jack Hould
10-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Lord is just regulating like he's supposed to. I can understand _irk wanting to play less since he's older but LeCuck begging for shorter seasons is beta behavior per par.

lefty
10-16-2014, 09:44 PM
tbh 82 games is too long

It's all for $$$$$ :lol

What do you need 82 games for?

Right, keep your citizens in front of their TV all year yong with NBA and MLB so they don't have time to think about what their government is really doing :lol

Clipper Nation
10-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Do you think there should be less games? I mean its pretty odd on how much Lebron is trying to soften the game with flopping and shortening the season

How is getting rid of shitty back-to-backs that fans have complained about for years "softening the league"? Would it be "soft" for the NFL to get rid of shitty-ass Thursday Night Football, another bad product that nobody likes?

RsxPiimp
10-16-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm with MJ. We need more basketball, not less.

lefty
10-16-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm with MJ. We need more basketball, not less.
You know, you can always go out during the offseason

Fresh air and women won't kill you

Unless you live in Florida or Mexico

Koolaid_Man
10-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Every time you open your mouth Malik Hairstons dick is on full display by way of your ass.....

RsxPiimp
10-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Im a family man with 2 kids. There's no offseason for guys like us.

Franklin
10-16-2014, 09:53 PM
That tells you who's the true God tbh.

Reck
10-16-2014, 09:54 PM
There are still plenty of guys, even Manu for fuck's sake who grind the NBA season then go to their country and play for them during the summer.

I can understand Dirk because he's up there in age but Lebron? Dude is soft. No question about it.

Koolaid_Man
10-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Lebeta doesnt play defense, complains when the AC goes out, fakes cramps like a bitch, fake elbow injuries, dick hop teams every few years, get hair transplants, loses 3 finals, tries to hide his bronze medal, gets dissed by white girls, lets his teammates become his real step daddy. Lol....now he wants to play less and still be in MJ and Kobes class....please this noogah is incapable of being in the same room as MJ and Kobe...

lefty
10-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Im a family man with 2 kids. There's no offseason for guys like us.
Then what the fuck are you doing here ?

Franklin
10-16-2014, 10:00 PM
What do you think of my latest Lunar Goddess poem, Reck?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240072&p=7622713#post7622713

Thebesteva
10-16-2014, 10:00 PM

:lmao

RsxPiimp
10-16-2014, 10:03 PM

Shut the fuck up. You have 67k post in this forum alone. Don't give advice to anyone having life outside the forum. Faggot.

StrengthAndHonor
10-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Shut the fuck up. You have 67k post in this forum alone. Don't give advice to anyone having life outside the forum. Faggot.
:lol

lefty
10-16-2014, 10:09 PM
I dont have a family

I live downtown

I can post 1000000 times a day and still have a life

:lol Unlike you

Robz4000
10-17-2014, 12:14 AM

Or Dallas, Atlanta, Ohio, and basically all of Africa...

Silver&Black
10-17-2014, 03:04 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Warlord23
10-17-2014, 03:48 AM
Jordan had a clause in his Bulls contract that he could play basketball whenever, wherever he want to. It was called the "love of the game" clause. He used that to play pickup games without any interference from the Bulls.

Just reinforces the difference between MJ and Lebron. Jordan was super-competitive, Lebron while an awesome talent, doesn't have the same killer instinct.

DeadlyDynasty
10-17-2014, 03:59 AM
The regular season product is atrocious and unimportant as currently constructed...spurfan should be chomping at the bit for this change as it will retroactively validate that 1999 abortion.

spurraider21
10-17-2014, 04:26 AM
the 99 season was validated by having a dominant season (best record, #1 seed) AND postseason (3-1, 4-0, 4-0, 4-1) the way they did.

AaronY
10-17-2014, 06:00 AM
It is pretty amazing that Jordan played every single regular season and playoff game during that second threepeat. Especially since they clinched home court early a bunch of times

DeadlyDynasty
10-17-2014, 06:28 AM
the 99 season was validated by having a dominant season (best record, #1 seed) AND postseason (3-1, 4-0, 4-0, 4-1) the way they did.
No, it was still an abortion. Basically the NBA's post-coital lull before Round 2

lefty
10-17-2014, 06:43 AM
And San Antonio :lmao

Red Hawk #21
10-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Gotta agree with MJ on this one...

ambchang
10-17-2014, 07:03 AM
The game is so different nowadays. With minutes management, better medicine, advanced training and nutrition, players can be effective well into their late 30s. It used to be rare that a player can play more than 15 years, but it's now quite more common for players to remain effective beyond that.

I'm not sure if shortening the season will further help lengthen players careers, I just don't see effective players in their 40s.

On the topic of Jordan, he's just afraid players with longer primes will eclipse his 6 titles and his records.

Clipper Nation
10-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Jordan had a clause in his Bulls contract that he could play basketball whenever, wherever he want to. It was called the "love of the game" clause. He used that to play pickup games without any interference from the Bulls.

Just reinforces the difference between MJ and Lebron. Jordan was super-competitive, Lebron while an awesome talent, doesn't have the same killer instinct.
:lol at corny Spurfans claiming LeBron "lacks killer instinct" for wanting less games while praising Duncan, Enrique, and Turnobili for letting Pop rest them during the season....

lefty
10-17-2014, 09:02 AM
:lol at corny Spurfans claiming LeBron "lacks killer instinct" for wanting less games while praising Duncan, Enrique, and Turnobili for letting Pop rest them during the season....
troof bombs from our Asian resident

Blizzardwizard
10-17-2014, 09:56 AM
MJ has spoken the truth again tbh.

Jenks
10-17-2014, 10:17 AM
No, it was still an abortion. Basically the NBA's post-coital lull before Round 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmeA5VmhX4

DeadlyDynasty
10-17-2014, 10:32 AM
oh boy, snappy comeback!

Warlord23
10-17-2014, 11:50 AM

I don't get how that is comparable. Duncan et all want to play more minutes, but the coach overrules them and limits their minutes. As a fan, it is in my selfish interest for Duncan, Manu and TP to play less, but as competitors the Spurs big 3 want to play more.

Lebron on the other hand himself wants less games. He doesn't have to be restrained by his coach. He's begging the league to go easy on him.

Clipper Nation
10-17-2014, 11:58 AM
I don't get how that is comparable. Duncan et all want to play more minutes, but the coach overrules them and limits their minutes. As a fan, it is in my selfish interest for Duncan, Manu and TP to play less, but as competitors the Spurs big 3 want to play more.
No, Duncan is a vocal supporter of Pop's resting plan:

"It's a legitimate move," said Duncan. "It's not something I'll fight very strongly, because it makes sense."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Duncan_supports_sensible_rest_plan.html

Lebron on the other hand himself wants less games. He doesn't have to be restrained by his coach. He's begging the league to go easy on him.
LeBron might not like back-to-backs, but at least he plays them, unlike Pop, who tanks them on purpose.... I don't disagree with Pop's strategy, but if LeBron's "soft" for suggesting getting rid of back-to-backs, then the Spurs are even softer for basically not playing them....

lefty
10-17-2014, 12:24 PM

"It's a legitimate move," said Duncan. "It's not something I'll fight very strongly, because it makes sense."

LeBron might not like back-to-backs, but at least he plays them, unlike Pop, who tanks them on purpose.... I don't disagree with Pop's strategy, but if LeBron's "soft" for suggesting getting rid of back-to-backs, then the Spurs are even softer for basically not playing them....
Well tbf, the Spurs are much older and their key players have been injury prone

Warlord23
10-17-2014, 12:40 PM

Duncan "won't fight strongly" is another way of saying he'll live with it even if he isn't happy about it. In fact the way he phrased it implicitly indicates that players would normally oppose such restrictions on playing time. I remember TP convincing Pop to keep him in longer during a TNT game. Both Manu and TP also played for their national teams several times, and the Spurs have paid the price for that a couple of times in the playoffs.

You're right that Pop gives up on b2bs, but he is a coach and Lebron is a player. As an athlete, you have a limited shelf life. Lebron should be looking forward to play more games in his physical prime and continue his assault on the record books.

Infinite_limit
10-17-2014, 12:42 PM
"Less Money"

Black Basketball players jump off cliff

DMC
10-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Every season his team shortens their games by at least 16 by not making the playoffs. I realize that changed recently.

DMC
10-17-2014, 12:58 PM

But the Spurs are the champs. You have a bench for a reason, but then James has to get all the ala carte awards so he's got to be out there 44 minutes a night.

Jenks
10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Other teams don't cultivate a deep roster to sit guys and still win games. That doesn't make the Spurs soft, it makes almost every other teams' bench soft.

On game 2 of back to backs in 2012, the Spurs were 12-4, including 4-0 during their two b2b2b runs (6-0 total including the game 1's)
In 2013, they were 8-9
In 2014, they were 14-5

Those aren't 'tanking on purpose' numbers.

Mark in Austin
10-17-2014, 02:58 PM
If they were serious about this they could start by lengthening the schedule just enough to eliminate back to back games. Less wear and tear on the players, but same money.

If they really wanted to shorten the season and maximize money they should start the season on Christmas. Nobody really pays attention before then anyway. Then extend the season further into the summer as needed to get to 70 or so games. It's a dead time for sports and the NBA would dominate. As long as the finals finish before football starts up.

djohn2oo8
10-17-2014, 04:00 PM
But the Spurs are the champs. You have a bench for a reason, but then James has to get all the ala carte awards so he's got to be out there 44 minutes a night.

This.

Reck
10-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Duncan "won't fight strongly" is another way of saying he'll live with it even if he isn't happy about it. In fact the way he phrased it implicitly indicates that players would normally oppose such restrictions on playing time. I remember TP convincing Pop to keep him in longer during a TNT game. Both Manu and TP also played for their national teams several times, and the Spurs have paid the price for that a couple of times in the playoffs.

You're right that Pop gives up on b2bs, but he is a coach and Lebron is a player. As an athlete, you have a limited shelf life. Lebron should be looking forward to play more games in his physical prime and continue his assault on the record books.

That is pretty much what I got from it.

If you are given the chance to rest at Duncan's age you will take it and not fight it.

Lebron is making a shit storm over this. :lol weak faggot.

Mao Zedong
10-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Jordan is always right. Kinda like me, but less talented.

And he is right that is they play less, they should also get pyed less.

Phillip
10-17-2014, 06:00 PM
sounds somewhat strange, since in TJR he was quoted as constantly complaining about the meaninglessness of the regular season and was always whining about how he couldnt wait to retire and get away from basketball