PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here...

E20
08-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Know anything about US history that could probably help me.....

TheTruth
08-25-2005, 11:06 PM
what do you need to know?

E20
08-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Explain how conflict with religous dissenters, among other forces led to the expansion of New England.

17th century colonization of North America by England, Dealing with Puritans and all that other stuff etc.

TheTruth
08-25-2005, 11:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_America

gospursgojas
08-25-2005, 11:23 PM
um... damn 8th grade us history was long ago..wait I also took us history my junior year of high school... tells you how much I remember

E20
08-25-2005, 11:23 PM
I already tried Wikipedia, it gave me information for other stuff but, most of that stuff goes to elswhere and doesn't really answer what the book is asking me.

E20
08-25-2005, 11:24 PM
um... damn 8th grade us history was long ago..wait I also took us history my junior year of high school... tells you how much I remember

Yeah, I'm getting ready for that over the summer with lame ass summer HW.

gospursgojas
08-25-2005, 11:25 PM
how advanced of US history are you taking. Junior high, High school, College, Harvard, GED????

E20
08-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Junior HS, AP course........I have to do 6 Chapters and it's due in a week.........

Maybe this should be in the poltical forum........Also, does anybody know the historical siginificance of the Irquois Confederacy. :lol It doesn't say in the book.

AlamoSpursFan
08-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I pretty much slept through history class. And now I'm a truck driver. I wouldn't recommend the practice.

:lol

gospursgojas
08-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Junior HS, AP course........I have to do 6 Chapters and it's due in a week.........

Maybe this should be in the poltical forum........Also, does anybody know the historical siginificance of the Irquois Confederacy. :lol It doesn't say in the book.

I belive the Iroquois Confederacy was actually 5 Native American tribes put together. They acted like a very, very early day UN. Which might be the signigicance you are looking for

E20
08-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Sounds good, I'll use that, never thought of it that way.

gospursgojas
08-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Sounds good, I'll use that, never thought of it that way.

cool

j-6
08-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Explain how conflict with religous dissenters, among other forces led to the expansion of New England.

17th century colonization of North America by England, Dealing with Puritans and all that other stuff etc.

Real quick and dirty version:

The Seperatist Puritans back then had a philosophy that your value was formed through one-on-one relationships and your relation in that matter in something called the Law of Relatives. Like, "This is Peter, son of John and Constance, so he's a good, trustworthy fellow." Puritans forced singles, widows, widowers, orphans and others into family structures so they would be in a relationship, thinking that they were bettering society.

The English royalty hated this becuase non-separatest Puritans were very loyal subjects and actively complained to get the splinter sect squashed. So the King sent the leaders of the movement to America, and when in transit they proposed the Mayflower Compact. Their first US settlement was Salem, home of the famous witch trials. Around each town the Puritan settlers built seven new towns for their brethren now coming overseas from England.

The charter company that sent the Mayflower to the US saw and approved of the organization of the manner that the Puritans expanded, and decided to help them charter new towns, using the colony's governor as arbiter. Groups of men (who most believed were after power of their own after being held down in the Law of Relatives system) would petition the guv, showcasing their skills and how much money in tax revenues they would create for the colony.

Much of Massechusetts was settled in this fashion, especially when the population realized the wealth of the Indian Territory land to the west. Mass either tripled or quadrupled in population, and many Puritans started focusing less on church and more on making their fortune, annexing huge pieces of land to their own claims. But the Indians in the territory weren't wanting any part of this, and burnt down like half the new Puritan towns that were on their land. The Puritans banded together and brought down and executed the tribal leadership, and started reproducing and expanding west as fast as they could.

Trainwreck2100
08-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Real quick and dirty version:

The Seperatist Puritans back then had a philosophy that your value was formed through one-on-one relationships and your relation in that matter in something called the Law of Relatives. Like, "This is Peter, son of John and Constance, so he's a good, trustworthy fellow." Puritans forced singles, widows, widowers, orphans and others into family structures so they would be in a relationship, thinking that they were bettering society.

The English royalty hated this becuase non-separatest Puritans were very loyal subjects and actively complained to get the splinter sect squashed. So the King sent the leaders of the movement to America, and when in transit they proposed the Mayflower Compact. Their first US settlement was Salem, home of the famous witch trials. Around each town the Puritan settlers built seven new towns for their brethren now coming overseas from England.

The charter company that sent the Mayflower to the US saw and approved of the organization of the manner that the Puritans expanded, and decided to help them charter new towns, using the colony's governor as arbiter. Groups of men (who most believed were after power of their own after being held down in the Law of Relatives system) would petition the guv, showcasing their skills and how much money in tax revenues they would create for the colony.

Much of Massechusetts was settled in this fashion, especially when the population realized the wealth of the Indian Territory land to the west. Mass either tripled or quadrupled in population, and many Puritans started focusing less on church and more on making their fortune, annexing huge pieces of land to their own claims. But the Indians in the territory weren't wanting any part of this, and burnt down like half the new Puritan towns that were on their land. The Puritans banded together and brought down and executed the tribal leadership, and started reproducing and expanding west as fast as they could.

Shouldn't you be giving advise to some kid with erectile disfunction

j-6
08-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Shouldn't you be giving advise to some kid with erectile disfunction

Yeah, probably. I think that thread jumped the shark, though.

Trainwreck2100
08-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Yeah, probably. I think that thread jumped the shark, though.

Did you ever see that Episode of Arrested Development where they had Henry Winler jump a shark, I fell on the floor laughing, that little joke was funny.

TOP-CHERRY
08-26-2005, 01:18 AM

New England in particular?

All I remember from that colony is that they settled America within nuclear families (in contrast to those who migrated to Virginia & Maryland)
They were successful in replicating the traditional social order they had known in England.

And the ratio of men to women was always well-balanced... Family ties were really strong.

They reproduced a large population very rapidly for obvious reasons (good water, the population was adaquately scattered, etc), their life expectancy was really high... I believe they were the first colony to see grandchildren.
And they regarded education as highly important.

Is this kinda what you were looking for in regards to New England? If not, just disregard what I just wrote. :D

Oh, and I feel for ya. I hated AP US History. I never really paid attention, didn't care for it much, failed the AP test. I don't know why they make the test so hard. College US History courses (at least the beginning courses) are really easy.

SWC Bonfire
08-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh, and I feel for ya. I hated AP US History. I never really paid attention, didn't care for it much, failed the AP test. I don't know why they make the test so hard. College US History courses (at least the beginning courses) are really easy.

The AP history test used to be really easy. They probably had to make it harder.

TOP-CHERRY
08-26-2005, 01:24 PM
^Well, it probably didn't help matters that we had crappy teachers in crappy schools... I mean, the northside district schools always had way better AP test scores.

In my class I think only one or two passed the test. We were just not stimulated properly.

It also has to do a lot with our motivation to pass the test. I just didn't care much for it. The fact that the teacher would remind us that not many are able to pass the test in that school really made us just not put the effort into it.

SWC Bonfire
08-26-2005, 01:26 PM
That was the only AP class my high school offered. Got me out of 6 hours of history at A&M. :tu

TOP-CHERRY
08-26-2005, 01:29 PM
:tu
Funny thing is, when I took history courses in college last year, they were actually one of the most interesting for me. I guess it just depends on the instructors.

AP credits rock... I got 2 for English (got me out of Literature and Freshman composition ) and a few for Spanish.

Extra Stout
08-26-2005, 01:44 PM
^Well, it probably didn't help matters that we had crappy teachers in crappy schools... I mean, the northside district schools always had way better AP test scores.Case in point: I went to a Northside school. Through my AP courses, I ended up with 67 hours of college credit.

MiNuS
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
rent History of the World Part II...very funny.