PDA

View Full Version : Nightline: Cyrus Kar

Nbadan
08-25-2005, 11:09 PM
from Nightline:

Yesterday, we introduced you to Cyrus Kar, an American documentary filmmaker who spent 55 days held by U.S. authorities in Iraq as a suspected terrorist. For those of you who missed the first part, or didn't have a chance to read yesterday's e-mail from producer Dina Demetrius, here's an opportunity to catch up in advance of tonight's finale that focuses on Kar's 53 days in solitary confinement.

"There's a reckless arrest policy, and there's a tremendous amount of humiliation that follows that arrest policy, and I strongly believe that one of the major reasons that the insurgency is growing is because when detainees are released they come out and they're looking for retribution."

-- Cyrus Kar

Part of my job as a producer in Los Angeles is to book "first" interviews for ABC News. I helped to do that for "Good Morning America" in late July when Cyrus Kar, a Los Angeles documentary filmmaker, had just returned home from a harrowing experience in a U.S. detention camp in Iraq, where he was filming. Kar is an American citizen and Navy veteran, and a supporter of the war. He was arrested in Iraq as a suspected terrorist. His story was checked out within days by the FBI, yet he was held by the U.S. military for nearly two months. His family brought in the ACLU. The perfect ending to a perfect nightmare.

The requisite scramble of reporters and booking producers ensued; the series of quick, live network interviews concluded. But when you've experienced the level of fear and abandonment Kar felt as he sat day after day in solitary confinement, the sound bites don't always roll off the tongue. The three-minute live interviews don't do the story justice. I watched Kar's interviews and saw his eyes communicating something much deeper than a description of the facts. Over the following two weeks, Kar revealed to me at greater length his thoughts and feelings about his captivity and the war in Iraq. The shock of his experience was wearing off, the determination to speak out was settling in. He had a lot more to say.

We brought Kar to Washington to sit down in the studio with Ted Koppel and recount, in depth, not just the circumstances of his detention in U.S. custody, but his thoughts on how that detention may be emblematic of a larger problem in Iraq -- one that may continue to create a rise in Iraqi insurgency, and a rise in American deaths. Through his voice you hear the frustration at the slow wheels of justice. Through his eyes you see a sense of humiliation and betrayal from the inside out.

We found Kar and what he has to say compelling enough to devote two shows to it. We hope you join us for tonight's conclusion.

Cryus Carr an American citizen, former Navy imprisoned for 55 days in the same prison in Iraq as Suddam Hussein. Carr was born in Iraq and moved to the U.S. when he was five, and later joined the Navy. After his gig, Cyrus went to Iraq to shoot a documentary on Cyrus the great - one of histories first champions of human rights.

Cyrus was in Iraq legally and had written permission to shoot his documentary when a cab Cyrus was ridding in was stopped and searched at a American check-point, a bag filled with washing machine timers, the same used in previous attacks on coalition forces were found in the trunk. So the driver, Cyrus and his camera man, an Iranian were arrested.

Everyone should watch this report and learn. Part 2 tonight.

whottt
08-25-2005, 11:20 PM
So we should stop detaining suspected terrorists...got it.

scott
08-25-2005, 11:20 PM
What is to learn? The current administration is filled with stupid assholes, and the alternative is filled with stupid underachievers.

To quote Lewis Black... "on one side we have the Democrats, known as the party of 'no ideas' and on the other side we have the Republicans, the party of 'bad ideas'. When these two assholes get together in congress, it goes something like this... a Republican senator stands up and says 'I got a really bad idea!" and then the Democratic senator stands up and says 'And I can make it shittier!'"

whottt
08-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Scott...why don't you get out of this hellhole we call America....I know someone that can help you escape.

Jelly
08-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Dan,
you usually post a lot of crap, but this looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.

whottt
08-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Call it a hunch but I have a feeling this guy is going to be against the War now and blame the US Govt for the insurgency(even though it's well known that the model for the insurgency is the Vietnam conflict and turning the American people against winning the war)...just a hunch.

scott
08-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Scott...why don't you get out of this hellhole we call America....I know someone that can help you escape.

Didn't see that one coming. Nice response, clone.

MannyIsGod
08-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Watched it, and lets just say what happend to this guy is the exact reason we should all be against the Patriot Act....or move to Holland accorading to Whottt.

whottt
08-26-2005, 12:02 AM
If he had something positive to say he wouldn't be on Nightline...

At least he didn't get shot,he's lucky that didn't happen. Those troops aren't fucking around, nor should they be, or else the anti-war crowd would have a lot more to bitch about on their quest to undermine the country being sucessful in Iraq.

I feel for the guy...but war is hell.

Marcus Bryant
08-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Cyrus was in Iraq legally and had written permission to shoot his documentary when a cab Cyrus was ridding in was stopped and searched at a American check-point, a bag filled with washing machine timers, the same used in previous attacks on coalition forces were found in the trunk. So the driver, Cyrus and his camera man, an Iranian were arrested.

Yeah, the arrest was unreasonable.