PDA

View Full Version : Express-News: Finley weighing sales pitch by Spurs

Kori Ellis
08-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Finley weighing sales pitch by Spurs
Web Posted: 08/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA082605.1D.BKNspurs.finley.1d0de46f.html

Having completed their pilgrimage to Michael Finley's home turf, officially joining the list of championship contenders vying for the coveted free agent's services, the Spurs head into yet another weekend ready to resume a familiar pastime.

Waiting.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich met with Finley in Chicago on Thursday, but a conclusion to the courtship isn't considered imminent. Finley, the 32-year-old swingman waived by Dallas earlier this month, will entertain representatives from Minnesota today. He then is expected to spend the next several days considering his options, which also include Miami and Phoenix.

"He's going to take the weekend to compare and contrast everything he heard, then figure out which situation will be the best for him," said Henry Thomas, Finley's agent. "I think the Spurs are right in there."

While the Spurs remain serious competitors in the Finley sweepstakes, they aren't the favorites. The Heat still own that designation, due mainly to their offer of a full $5million salary-cap exception. The Spurs have $2.5million available, while the Suns have just $1.1million.

But Thomas reiterated Thursday that Finley's decision won't be based on financial considerations alone, as his client still has $51.8million owed to him by the Mavericks. Thomas said Finley is more concerned with finding a team that meets other criteria, and the Spurs apparently have scored well in those areas.

"They've got a lot of things going for them," Thomas said. "The most obvious being that they just won a championship."

The Spurs are set to bring back most of the team responsible for winning that title — their only offseason addition thus far has been Argentine center Fabricio Oberto — but they would like to add a shooting guard or small forward to come off the bench.

Finley, who has had knee problems but shot 41 percent from 3-point range last season, would appear to be a perfect fit for that role. But if he elects to go to a team that can offer him more money or a higher-profile role, the Spurs won't have to look too far for a backup plan.

Devin Brown, the Spurs' restricted free agent, has yet to sign an offer sheet even though his agent insists he's generating interest from several teams. Utah met with Brown earlier this month, but the Spurs have the inside track to retain him because they have seven days to match any outside offer he receives.

Brown's agent, Darrick Powell, has maintained Brown wants to stay with the Spurs and hasn't grown impatient by the team's flirtation with Finley.

"Devin understands the situation. He understands the process," Powell said. "He's fine with it. We still have a decent amount of teams calling. We hope when this Michael Finley thing goes down, things will start moving."

Also Thursday, the Spurs officially unveiled their plans to move this year's training camp to the U.S. Virgin Islands, the homeland of Tim Duncan. The team will train for a week at the University of the Virgin Islands in St. Thomas beginning Oct.4.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2005, 12:05 AM
So it looks like if Finley comes, then they won't re-sign Devin. If he doesn't come, then they will.

Then I guess they'll sign a small forward and a point guard with the 12th and 13th spots. Then maybe (or maybe not) fill out the "inactive list" with vets and projects.

timvp
08-26-2005, 12:06 AM
It looks like it's going to be Michael Finley or Devin Brown. You really can't go wrong either way. Devin has good potential and if Finley wants to turn down more money and a starting spot to come to San Antonio, that's cool to.

As long as the Spurs don't mess around and lose out on both, they'll be fine.

timvp
08-26-2005, 12:09 AM
C Mohammed
PF Duncan
SF Bowen
SG Ginobili
PG Parker

C Oberto
PF Horry
SF Brown/Finley
SG Barry
PG Udrih
C Nesterovic
SF Barnes

IR Third PG
IR Young Swingman
IR Young Bigman

That'd be a stacked team :tu

Solid D
08-26-2005, 12:11 AM
Chuck Miketinac said tonight on Maximum Sports that the Spurs sent a contingent of 1.

Gregg Popovich

Pop spent about 2 hours with Michael and supposedly the meeting went well. Finley's agent contends that no one has the edge right now. Michael will think about his choices over the weekend then make a decision.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2005, 12:12 AM
the Spurs sent a contingent of 1.

Gregg Popovich

That's sweet.

DesiSpur_21
08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Chuck Miketinac said tonight on Maximum Sports that the Spurs sent a contingent of 1.

Gregg Popovich

Hell yeah.. Pop's pitching is way more effective than the multimedia high-tech Heat presentaion or chicken carrying fan emails.

Hope Finley uses his head when decides rather than looking at his pocket to fill in more $$

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Pop only. Good deal.

None of this candy ass Phoenix Suns desperation bullshit of sending the whole team, the chicken owner, fan emails, the mascot, and the marketing team, the janitor who'd be cleaning up Mikey's locker, etc.

TexasAggie2005
08-26-2005, 12:34 AM
It looks like it's going to be Michael Finley or Devin Brown. You really can't go wrong either way. Devin has good potential and if Finley wants to turn down more money and a starting spot to come to San Antonio, that's cool to.

As long as the Spurs don't mess around and lose out on both, they'll be fine.

It sounds like it's one or the other, so I don't see how they'd lose out on both. We'd better not at least. It sounds like Devin is being really cool about this and waiting on the Spurs to see how the Finley situation shakes down. I'd REALLY love it if we could get both of them though. I think Finley could be a big help coming off the bench, but I'd hate to lose Devin.

Nice message too by only sending Pop. If Finley does sign here, it'll be for the right reasons and hopefully with the right frame of mind about minutes.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2005, 12:36 AM
It sounds like it's one or the other, so I don't see how they'd lose out on both.

Well the Spurs have a limit on how much they want to pay Devin. If he gets an offer from another team for more than that, they aren't going to keep Devin -- even if they don't get Finley.

z0sa
08-26-2005, 12:42 AM
in my opinion, if we sign finley and duncan has a healthy season... at least 65 wins next season. I personally have loved finley for a long time, and while some here don't think much of him I think if he signs with the spurs hes definitely going to make a major contribution. with him we'll have the deepest bench in the league and the biggest chance of winning it all again in 06.

SenorSpur
08-26-2005, 12:48 AM
So it looks like if Finley comes, then they won't re-sign Devin. If he doesn't come, then they will.

Then I guess they'll sign a small forward and a point guard with the 12th and 13th spots. Then maybe (or maybe not) fill out the "inactive list" with vets and projects.

That is exactly what I was worried about. I don't know how much gas Finley has left, but adding him to the roster ISN'T worth losing Devin.

This team needs to continue to strengthen itself for now and the future. Resigning Devin covers both aspects.

Again, this is the Spurs brass chasing this years version of Jason Kidd (Finley) at the expense of a Tony Parker (Devin).

It's ludicrous.

Solid D
08-26-2005, 12:48 AM
With Katrina pounding Florida...it does make one stop to think.

A hurricane is never a good thing, so thoughts and prayers for those in Florida.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/FLJC11708260017.jpeg

TexasAggie2005
08-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Well the Spurs have a limit on how much they want to pay Devin. If he gets an offer from another team for more than that, they aren't going to keep Devin -- even if they don't get Finley.

Right, I was just referring to the comment about messing around and losing out on both. Devin sounds like he's waiting for the Spurs to make a decision by not signing an offer sheet somewhere else first and forcing the FO's hand. Of course we don't want to overpay the guy, but I have to think Devin's worth (in the long run) close to what we're throwing at Finley if his back is healthy.

JMarkJohns
08-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Pop only. Good deal.

None of this candy ass Phoenix Suns desperation bullshit of sending the whole team, the chicken owner, fan emails, the mascot, and the marketing team, the janitor who'd be cleaning up Mikey's locker, etc.

Hey, it worked with Nash! :rolleyes

TheTruth
08-26-2005, 01:16 AM
Hey, it worked with Nash! :rolleyes
I think the fact that the Suns were the only ones offering that type of money is what worked.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-26-2005, 01:55 AM
C Mohammed
PF Duncan
SF Bowen
SG Ginobili
PG Parker

C Oberto
PF Horry
SF Brown/Finley
SG Barry
PG Udrih
C Nesterovic
SF Barnes

IR Third PG
IR Young Swingman
IR Young Bigman

Why does everyone think that Nazr is the starter? nothing is confirmed yet. To me the spot is still up for grabs. If it were up to me, Rasho would start with Nazr helping out. Oberto ahead of Nazr and Rasho is ridiculous. He will get some minutes but Pop will let him learn slowly. No way will they put him for 20 mins every night straight away.

The Spurs will evaluate how Oberto performs and then make a decision on who to trade if Oberto fits in well. If not they will explore their options. Spurs will not be trading Rasho anytime soon unless dear Isiah comes up with a ridiculous offer. (Too bad to all you Rasho haters.)

He might still be traded later if the right offer comes about mid season. Please dont get your hopes too high on Nazr resigning cause I think the Spurs front office dont even know if they want Nazr after this season. My guess is they will trade Nazr and his expiring contract to fill play off needs especially if Oberto fits in well and they need someone to cover due to injuries or our SF needs.

Tek_XX
08-26-2005, 01:55 AM
It'll still gonna be the Heat. I don't think the Spurs are Finleys kinda team, and then there's bowen.

BadlyDrawnBoy
08-26-2005, 03:04 AM
I think the fact that the Suns were the only ones offering that type of money is what worked.

Cha-ching.

But maybe it wasn't the huge contract that got him... maybe it was water from the cactus that the team owners brought him or some stupid shit like that. Yeah, that was it. :lol :lol

That meeting probably went something like this:

"What's that in the brief case? A large amount of money. Cool. I still don't know though, the money looks nice and all but I really like what I have here. Hey, what's in the large bag over there. Holy fucking shit! The Gorilla's suit signed by the Gorilla and all the current Suns players, my fucking god, I'm so signing with you guys! Dude, what are you giving me now? Water from a real Arizona cactus...??? dude, you guys are going to make me, no, I am, I am. Group hug!"

BadlyDrawnBoy
08-26-2005, 03:04 AM
It'll still gonna be the Heat. I don't think the Spurs are Finleys kinda team, and then there's bowen.

:rolleyes

boutons
08-26-2005, 04:08 AM
"A hurricane is never a good thing, so thoughts and prayers for those in Florida."

If the idiots around here would not drive around in a storm (trees fallling) and not drive through water ("hey, man, it really is 4 ft deep"), I'd take that foot of rain right now.

Useruser666
08-26-2005, 07:34 AM
"A hurricane is never a good thing, so thoughts and prayers for those in Florida."

If the idiots around here would not drive around in a storm (trees fallling) and not drive through water ("hey, man, it really is 4 ft deep"), I'd take that foot of rain right now.

A foot of rain here right now would be a natural disaster.

j-6
08-26-2005, 07:39 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12478828.htm

Kevin Garnett appears to be taking on a greater leadership role with the Timberwolves. Garnett telephoned teammates and asked them to attend new coach Dwane Casey's volunteer gathering in Las Vegas, Nev., this week. Garnett even asked owner Glen Taylor to attend, which he did. And during a dinner in Las Vegas with Taylor, Garnett, who turns 30 next spring, intimated he intends to be more vocal next season, especially during practices.

Garnett also telephoned free-agent guard Michael Finley, whom the Wolves will try to recruit today in Chicago, and requested that he be allowed to accompany Taylor and the rest of the front office seeking to sign Finley.

Marcus Bryant
08-26-2005, 07:43 AM
It's a shame it has to be one or the other.

spvrs
08-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Pop wants guys like Finley to 'earn' their minutes then if they don't play all star ball in their seven minutes per night they get sent to the dog house. Lord help the player sulks and isn't just proud to be a member of the spurs higher consciousness. This is how you treat a rookie. WHy the fvck would Finley do that?? Would you want to get treated like an a-hole and possibly a pariah for a championship?? Not me.

Spurs/Pheonix are the demand that is pushing up the $$ and years for Miami.

Marcus Bryant
08-26-2005, 07:57 AM
The Spurs can give him a 2 year deal with an option after the first season. If he doesn't like it in SA, he can opt out and go elsewhere. If he does not, then the Spurs would have his Early Bird rights after the 2006-07 season, provided they would want to keep him.

That being said, I don't see how he doesn't go to Miami. He'd get a starting spot, more guaranteed $ today, and plenty of attention.

boutons
08-26-2005, 07:58 AM
"WHy the fvck would Finley do that"

Exactly. Pop has certainly "made it VERY clear" (as Manu says) "no defense, no PT", as if Michael missed the message playing against the Spurs for all these years.

He wants more PT, even a starting role, than Pop can offer him, and he wants EASIER PT than The Spurs Way. He's nothing but an aging shooter who probably thinks he's not quite ready to be bench meat.

Marcus Bryant
08-26-2005, 07:59 AM

Exactly. Pop has certainly "made it VERY clear" (as Manu says) "no defense, no PT", as if Michael missed the message playing against the Spurs for all these years.

He wants more PT, even a starting role, than Pop can offer him, and he wants EASIER PT than The Spurs Way. He's nothing but an aging shooter who probably thinks he's not quite ready to be bench meat.

How do you know him? Maybe he was tired of the Mavs' bullshit and was ready to get out. The Spurs had him pegged as one of their top free agent targets back in 2001. Maybe he can't be easily pegged as such.

j-6
08-26-2005, 08:08 AM

Then why waste his (and Pop's, for that matter) time by setting up a meeting? He at least at some level was interested when he knew the role that Pop had envisioned for him in SA. He knew what kind of money the Spurs were offering.

picnroll
08-26-2005, 08:18 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12478828.htm

Kevin Garnett appears to be taking on a greater leadership role with the Timberwolves. vocal next season, especially during practices.
You have to admire Garnett's commitment and loyalty. I can't think of another modern day superstar who'll have pissed away an entire career with a single completely lame franchise.

spvrs
08-26-2005, 08:20 AM
You have to admire Garnett's commitment and loyalty.

I call it Greed and Ego. Basicallly the shock of his contract caused the lockout and ham strung the francise. Even his new contract leaves no flexiblity

picnroll
08-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I call it Greed and Ego. Basicallly the shock of his contract caused the lockout and ham strung the francise. Even his new contract leaves no flexiblity
I call it Joe Smith, Kevin McHale and a dumbass front office that couldn't draft a beer.

spvrs
08-26-2005, 08:23 AM
They were made for eachother

JUUOT
08-26-2005, 08:24 AM
C Mohammed
PF Duncan
SF Bowen
SG Ginobili
PG Parker

C Oberto
PF Horry
SF Brown/Finley
SG Barry
PG Udrih
C Nesterovic
SF Barnes

IR Third PG
IR Young Bigman

I just love this team. 9or 10 players coming back from a championship team and just enough fresh blood for a fresh start. Might need a vet without a ring to push the whole team (finley or NVE fit that mold)
only remark is like DALAMAR said. nazr will not be the starting center at the begining of the year.
it has been reported that for religious reason (no judgement here, i totally respect it and just state facts) nazr is not at his best in october november. it makes me think Rasho is going to start with oberto logging 12-15 mn to learn and nazr will have to earn the starting job in december and january. at this point he will have to compete not only with rasho but with oberto. Nazr as a starter is nothing done. especially if spurs plan on trading rasho and re sign nazr. display rasho for other team to trade him as a starter. and decrease a bit nazr value...we will see a lot af shring in frontcourt minutes

other than that team seems well balanced

VOTE FOR BARNES
VOTE FOR BARNES
VOTE FOR BARNES
VOTE FOR BARNES

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Garnett, who turns 30 next spring, intimated he intends to be more vocal next season

Yeah, Garnett being too quiet on the court has definitely been a problem in the past. :lol

Oh, and pNr, it's not just McHale and Joe Smith.

The world's greatest lotto "Ticket" is making over half of his team's salary cap. Kinda hard to add to your team when that's going on.

picnroll
08-26-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm not a KG fan, he's behaved like an a-hole more than once, but none the less KG could and hasn't demanded a trade a la Carter, TMac, Shaq, reportedly Kidd and teams would be lining up. He could even pull a Shaq or Carter and force the Pups to take back way less value than they were giving, including a bad contract, so that he couuld move to a still competitve team. It may still happen but so far Garnett's stayed the course and the only light at the end of the Pups tunnel is a train.

JUUOT
08-26-2005, 08:52 AM
find in the denver post

"Tony Dutt, agent for free agent Nick Van Exel, said he has not heard from the Nuggets. San Antonio and Miami have interest in the guard"

Sounds like miami and spurs will share the finley - NVE package but who get who?

Spurminator
08-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I think they're still trying to milk something out of Miami.

td4mvp3
08-26-2005, 09:23 AM
C Mohammed
PF Duncan
SF Bowen
SG Ginobili
PG Parker

C Oberto
PF Horry
SF Brown/Finley
SG Barry
PG Udrih
C Nesterovic
SF Barnes

IR Third PG
IR Young Swingman
IR Young Bigman

i like that you've put barnes in there. :spin

ChumpDumper
08-26-2005, 09:31 AM
I prefer to keep Devin -- his production per minute almost equalled that of Finley last season and is still conceivably on the upswing while Finley is obviously smack in the middle of his decline. For the same money or less, the choice seems clear [insert standard back health disclaimer here].

Marcus Bryant
08-26-2005, 09:39 AM
If Finley isn't available, they might as well go with Brown and Robinson. Sure, the roster would be the same as it was in Game 7 with the exception of turning Massenburg into Oberto. But, it's not like that's a bad unit. Big Dog would be like a new acquisiton.

Gummi
08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I find it interesting that there's no talk about Glenn Robinson in the Spurs camp. I guess they don't want him back. It sure looks like it. No talk at all about him this off-season. I'm surprised to be honest. I liked what he brought to the team last season, regular season esp.

I've been thinking alot about if Finley decides to join us, what about Barry's playing time? How many minutes would he get? I would think that Finley would like to get at least 25 minutes a night.

Kip Fanatic
08-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Can you imagine what the media would write if the Spurs acquire both Finley and NVE. I am not saying that acquiring these two guys would guarantee a another Finals, but the media would jump all over this. The Spurs have been quiet pretty much the whole off-season and then if they pull something off like this. The media would be all over R.C and Pop's jock.

kskonn
08-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I still think NVE would be a huge acquistion for this team. he shows up in the playoffs and at this point that is what counts. he has the skills to still take over a game. he would also give the spurs the ability to throw an group of guys that could just flat out score. Lets face it sometimes that is what the spurs need.

think about it

NVE
barry
Manu
Horry
Duncan

That team would be able to flat out score the ball.

CubanMustGo
08-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Pop doesn't waste his time travelling to Chi-town if this is the case. If he thinks talking to Fin is worth his time and effort, that's good enough for me.

SWC Bonfire
08-26-2005, 10:52 AM
A foot of rain here right now would be a natural disaster.

A foot of rain at my house would barely run water into the stock tanks right now. We need a 6"+ rain.

SWC Bonfire
08-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Not to be a downer, but I can really envision a scenario where the Spurs lose DB and don't get Finley. They'll survive without them.

Marcus Bryant
08-26-2005, 11:04 AM
The Spurs need to go with the best player available for the last roster spot.

boutons
08-26-2005, 11:18 AM
"They'll survive without them."

Much better than survive. The Spurs won the title this year without them.

ObiwanGinobili
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM

Gregg Popovich

i like that :tu
sharp contrast to the other teams a courting..

it says "we are confident" and at the same time "we aren't desperate, we don't kiss ass, we are straight talkers". :smokin

Extra Stout
08-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Can you imagine what the media would write if the Spurs acquire both Finley and NVE. I am not saying that acquiring these two guys would guarantee a another Finals, but the media would jump all over this. The Spurs have been quiet pretty much the whole off-season and then if they pull something off like this. The media would be all over R.C and Pop's jock.In my opinion, the media types would be pissed off if both of those two went to SA and would deride them as gravy-trainers.

Spurminator
08-26-2005, 02:15 PM
They'd wait to hear what Shaq thinks.

Kip Fanatic
08-26-2005, 02:17 PM
In my opinion, the media types would be pissed off if both of those two went to SA and would deride them as gravy-trainers.

I don't think so. A few might, but overall I think most would be calling the Spurs front office the best ever and blah, blah, blah.

SequSpur
08-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Pop going by himself says alot. I like that, even though Pop is a dipshit.

Finley can go wack off on himself.

I want NVE and Brown...... Finley has like 2 years left in him, Brown has 10 years left.

You make the call, its quite simple...

Southsider Brown all the way.

milkyway21
08-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah, Garnett being too quiet on the court has definitely been a problem in the past. :lol

i can still remember one All-Star game he was so "silent" he was actually shouting to Duncan "run Timmy, run". :lol
i thought that was funny.......

yeah, he should be more vocal next season in order to win a ring.

exstatic
08-26-2005, 09:14 PM
And during a dinner in Las Vegas with Taylor, Garnett, who turns 30 next spring, intimated he intends to be more vocal next season, especially during practices.

Is that in addition to punching teammates, or instead of?

NashtoAmare
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Pop only. Good deal.

Don't be mad at Phoenix. We want Mike in PHX and will do whatever we can to get him here.

exstatic
08-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Don't be mad at Phoenix. We want Mike in PHX and will do whatever we can to get him here.

:lol No one is mad. We think it's pathetic.

"Uh, Mike, we have never won anything, have an owner who is a skinflint, and hope to get you on the cheap. Please come back to play for Phoenix, and make up for those 400 made 3 pointers that we watched walk out, or helped out the door."

MiNuS
08-27-2005, 01:59 AM

we,we,we.