PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Why the NBA's draft lottery reform is a slippery slope

ambchang
10-22-2014, 10:47 AM
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-nba-s-draft-lottery-reform-is-a-slippery-slope-173150585.html

I agree on Presti on this one.

The draft lottery is not fine, but the rule change will further hamper the chances of small market teams getting top talent in the draft through tanking, which, at this point, is very much the best bet for them to get talent.

Andthentherewas21
10-22-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm not against some type of reform, but the changes that are being advocated are too severe and will likely have some of the repercussions that Presti outlined. A better system would be to not allow teams consecutive years of high picks, so for instance if a team gets the 1st overall pick (or within the top 3) in 2014, then the highest they can get in 2015 is the 6th overall pick. In the case the team got a pick 1-5, all the other teams would just move up a spot. They could even extend it so in the third year the highest pick they can get is the 8th or 10th or something. That would prevent teams from tanking for years on end while still allowing them the opportunity to get some talent if needed.

Personally I have a bigger problem with the Cavs acquiring 3 overall #1 picks and another 2-3 in the top 5 over a 4 year period due to the incompetence of its FO then I have with a team that is perpetual 1st round fodder and decides to blow it up rather than continue to be mediocre and on the bubble year after year.

Killakobe81
10-22-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm not against some type of reform, but the changes that are being advocated are too severe and will likely have some of the repercussions that Presti outlined. A better system would be to not allow teams consecutive years of high picks, so for instance if a team gets the 1st overall pick (or within the top 3) in 2014, then the highest they can get in 2015 is the 6th overall pick. In the case the team got a pick 1-5, all the other teams would just move up a spot. They could even extend it so in the third year the highest pick they can get is the 8th or 10th or something. That would prevent teams from tanking for years on end while still allowing them the opportunity to get some talent if needed.

Personally I have a bigger problem with the Cavs acquiring 3 overall #1 picks and another 2-3 in the top 5 over a 4 year period due to the incompetence of its FO then I have with a team that is perpetual 1st round fodder and decides to blow it up rather than continue to be mediocre and on the bubble year after year.

Great idea and solid analysis. It's dumb to reward incompetence.

Splits
10-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Voted down: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nba-owners-nix-lottery-reform-plan-154009158.html

Clipper Nation
10-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Great idea and solid analysis. It's dumb to reward incompetence.
:lol Except you've bragged in the past about the high draft picks that Fredo is supposedly going to get, so on some level, you feel incompetence should be rewarded.

Biernutz
10-22-2014, 02:13 PM
The 76'ers look like the have a plan to rebuild their team by tanking for 3 years. If they draft well is this the way
to rebuild a team vrs big market money. When Tim and Manu leave are we a 8 seed or a lotto team after that?

Kidd K
10-22-2014, 10:01 PM

Exactly this. If any rule change needs to be put into effect, it should limit and lower the percentage chance of teams consecutively appearing in the bottom rankings for getting top picks. What happened with the Cavs should NEVER happen, and rules really do need to be put into place so it doesn't happen again. Now they have a team with multiple #1 picks, then added Kevin Love and LeBron James on top of it.

If a team gets the top pick one year, they shouldn't be allowed another top 5 pick for at least 2 years or some shit. Similar system for other top 5 picks

Killakobe81
10-23-2014, 07:15 AM
:lol Except you've bragged in the past about the high draft picks that Fredo is supposedly going to get, so on some level, you feel incompetence should be rewarded.

Well, I advocate taking advantage of the current system. I am all for reform if it helps the league in the long-term. But while we suck of course I want our suckage to work in our favor, what fan wouldn't? I shoudl want my team to suffer to spite Buss?

That doesn't make any sense. I dont even get the point of your post as a troll job. Do you have an emoticon quota you need to fill?

Jenks
10-23-2014, 10:42 AM
People are way too pissed about the 76ers.

I'd rather have a team tank a couple years with a plan, than bring in a clown like Isiah Thomas to try to win for 5 years, failing the entire time and burying the team for another 5.