PDA

View Full Version : Belinelli could become expendable

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2014, 07:40 PM
If Kyle Anderson continues to produce and progress throughout the season with the minutes he's given, Pop has to find him minutes at the expense of Belinelli whenever Spurs are healthy and whole.

If this scenario plays out and if Manu and Danny stay healthy, Belinelli and his role will become expendable. Especially considering its highly unlikely Spurs re-sign Belinelli next summer because re-signing Green will be the priority, and also considering the emergence of Anderson (hypothetical: under the scenario where he earns a spot this year). Therefore, it might be wise to trade him and get something back in return (1st rnd pick) before Spurs would let him walk via FA.

Under this scenario, I honestly think there's a high probability Marco will get traded close to the deadline to probably an Eastern Conference 3rd-8th seed for a 1st.

Again this is no hate on Marco, I think he will have a good season considering its his contract year-- it may be his last chance for 4-5 mil per next summer. I just think given the circumstances and with the way the roster is constructed, this scenario could realistically arise, he could be the odd man out of the rotation-- becoming expendable.

Not saying this will happen, a lot of variables have to align for this to play out.

exstatic
10-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Sigh. Another iteration of "I think this guy is trash, but some team will give us a first rounder for him, 4 months before free agency when they can have him for free."

benefactor
10-23-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't see it. With Patty gone most of the season and Manu another year older they need the shooting/ball handling on the second unit. Anderson will get better as the year goes on, but I think it will be next year before he's good enough of a rotation player to supplant any of the current players at the wing IMO.

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Sigh. Another iteration of "I think this guy is trash, but some team will give us a first rounder for him, 4 months before free agency when they can have him for free."

Honestly think Belinelli has more value than the "trash" description that you're implying. There's a lot of playoff teams out East that could use and value a scorer off the bench from the perimeter. Especially one that can play in PnR and shoot 40% from three. imo

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't see it. With Patty gone most of the season and Manu another year older they need the shooting/ball handling on the second unit. Anderson will get better as the year goes on, but I think it will be next year before he's good enough of a rotation player to supplant any of the current players at the wing IMO.

I don't see it anytime soon either. If it happens, many things have to play out like I described. And if those variables all align it would be at the deadline, once Patty returns or close to when Patty returns.

dabom
10-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Beli suxs but we wont trade him.

SupremeGuy
10-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Beli is going to tear it up this year and then give us a little hometown discount next year to stay with us. The dude broke down and cried after winning a title with us, you don't just forget shit like that and go to another team for a little more money.

SnakeBoy
10-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Beli is an inconsistent shooter, has zero athleticism, and is a defensive liability. No way Pop trades him.

ceperez
10-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Beli is going to tear it up this year and then give us a little hometown discount next year to stay with us. The dude broke down and cried after winning a title with us, you don't just forget shit like that and go to another team for a little more money.

Dude had the trophy tattooed to his arm... the guy wants to be here for life!

look_at_g_shred
10-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I swear some of you really underestimate his value to the team. I wouldn't want him on any other team than ours.

Mikeanaro
10-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I could fly, would you like to see me try?

ElNono
10-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I don't think Anderson will get the minutes over Beli to do that, no matter how well he plays. There's a progression to the Spurs system, and the Spurs will be glad to get whatever they can get from Kyle, especially if Kawhi is to miss or rest some games, but the general idea is that the Spurs will ease-in Anderson into the System, like they always do, especially with rookies. I like the kid, and I think next season we'll have a better idea of the kind of player he is.

Richie
10-23-2014, 08:28 PM

This. No chance anyone gives up a first round pick for Belinelli when the Magic couldn't even get one for Afflalo.

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2014, 08:31 PM
This. No chance anyone gives up a first round pick for Belinelli when the Magic couldn't even get one for Afflalo.

Magic couldn't get one for Afflalo because of his expensive/inconvenient contract. Teams wanted the Magic to give up a 1st(s) in order for them to take on his contract.

exstatic
10-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Magic couldn't get one for Afflalo because of his massive contract. Teams wanted the Magic to give up a 1st(s) in order for them to take on his contract.

2 yrs total of $15M is pretty much peanuts in today's NBA economy. Try again.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2014, 08:45 PM
No reason to trade him if he plays well enough. Manu might be gone next season

spurraider21
10-23-2014, 08:51 PM
can we package Blair, Bonner, Neal for a really good player?

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2014, 08:52 PM
2 yrs total of $15M is pretty much peanuts in today's NBA economy. Try again.

Massive contract wasn't the right word. Expensive is better. And no that isn't peanuts in today's NBA. Peanuts is more like 750k to 2 million.

Anyway, Magic's sole purpose for getting rid of Afflalo was to get rid of the salary, since they have Oladipo at the 2 for a cheaper price needing as much minutes as possible to continue growing into the player they think he can be. Also because they had to free up money for Vucevic and a potential Tobias Harris extension because they love him at the SF position going forward.

Teams knew the Magic's motive and use that motive against them by not giving into giving them both cap space (a valuable asset; more so than a 1st round pick) and a 1st. Magic refused to add salary onto their payroll and simply wanted a dump and a 1st at most ( being greedy and rightfully starting negotiations at the highest bar possible). Teams saw through this and weren't going to give them both assets, which is smart. So yes his expensive contract was the reason why Magic couldn't get a first-- teams refused to give them cap space ( Magic's priority) with a first.

Cute try though. :toast

horsielove
10-23-2014, 09:05 PM
I swear you nignogs are not satisfied with the Spurs winning the championship this year.

superbigtime
10-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Marco isn't going to turn into Roger Mason Jr. Honestly am not worried about the guy's shot, I just hope his defense can at least be marginally better than last year. It's not that he doesn't try or is lazy, he just is slow to react. I don't think he is expendable at all.

Splits
10-23-2014, 09:16 PM
can we package Blair, Bonner, Neal for a really good player?

Ayers, Bonner, Baynes, and Daye for Al Jefferson anyone?

objective
10-23-2014, 09:17 PM
I doubt they move Messina's guy. Don't see them moving Ayres for the same reason.

Who in the east would want to give up anything good to get Marco? First round picks don't get moved for players nearly as often as they use to. I think Gortat and Deng were the only one moved during the season, and they were legit starters/all star candidates. Evan Turner: second rounders. Spencer Hawes: second rounders. Aflallo: second rounders.

And who. can even trade? Brooklyn and Miami already can't trade their 2015 picks. Why would a mediocre East playoff team move a 15-19 pick for Marco? And that leaves Cleveland and Chicago. Cleveland doesn't need him. And Chicago had him, and were so happy with him that they dropped him as fast as they could to pay dunleavy more than Marco and were thrilled to do so. MDJ would be so much better than Marco here.

If the spurs move Marco somehow, I'd guess it would be the spurs giving up the first.

Richie
10-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Magic couldn't get one for Afflalo because of his expensive/inconvenient contract. Teams wanted the Magic to give up a 1st(s) in order for them to take on his contract.

Nonsense, Afflalo is on a great contract at only $7.5m per yr and averaged over 18 points last year shooting 42% from 3.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Richie
10-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Massive contract wasn't the right word. Expensive is better. And no that isn't peanuts in today's NBA. Peanuts is more like 750k to 2 million.

Anyway, Magic's sole purpose for getting rid of Afflalo was to get rid of the salary, since they have Oladipo at the 2 for a cheaper price needing as much minutes as possible to continue growing into the player they think he can be. Also because they had to free up money for Vucevic and a potential Tobias Harris extension because they love him at the SF position going forward.

Teams knew the Magic's motive and use that motive against them by not giving into giving them both cap space (a valuable asset; more so than a 1st round pick) and a 1st. Magic refused to add salary onto their payroll and simply wanted a dump and a 1st at most ( being greedy and rightfully starting negotiations at the highest bar possible). Teams saw through this and weren't going to give them both assets, which is smart. So yes his expensive contract was the reason why Magic couldn't get a first-- teams refused to give them cap space ( Magic's priority) with a first.

Cute try though. :toast

The Magic wanted to dump salary, but then signed Ben Gordons corpse to a $4.5m contract? You're ridiculous. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

jag
10-23-2014, 09:36 PM
if Manu and Danny stay healthy

:lol

You have a better chance of looking out your window right now and seeing a Bigfoot run across your front yard while being chased by a chupacabra riding a unicorn.

10-23-2014, 09:40 PM
rofl like Pop will ever trust a rookie in the playoffs. He'll ride a vet over a rookie until the bitter end.

Uriel
10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Under this scenario, I honestly think there's a high probability Marco will get traded close to the deadline to probably an Eastern Conference 3rd-8th seed for a 1st.
The key words here are "under this scenario." Yes, indeed, if all those variables come into play, Bellinelli could indeed get traded at the deadline. But it's not going to happen for the following reasons:

1. Anderson will not supplant Bellinelli in the rotation. There is simply no way Pop would play an unproven rookie over a reliable veteran and 3-pt shooting champion. That would probably make the Spurs a worse basketball team as well.
2. And if he were to be supplanted by Anderson, then there would be absolutely no way a team would give up a first round pick to acquire him, unless they also get attractive assets in return (i.e. rights to Davis Bertans).

Old School 44
10-24-2014, 08:47 AM
I doubt if Belinelli gets traded, even if KA continues to improve. Marco's a great "regular season minutes" eater at his position and a known floor spacer (3-point shooting champ). I actually think he has a chance to improve in his second year in the Spurs "system".

As far as Anderson getting some meaningful minutes as a rookie, with his high BBIQ, versatility and unique skillset, it's possible he can get 10-15 mpg, especially with Mills out. I'm still not sold on Joseph.

Baam
10-24-2014, 08:59 AM
See Avery Johnson and Richard Jefferson, Pop has no problem making room for promising rookies...

Beli was close to the worst player in that preseason too so really he made the decision even easier for the FO... He was also a negative impact player all of last season, imo it's a no brainer really, only irrational stuff can prevent him from being "jeffersoned"...

Baam
10-24-2014, 09:05 AM
No reason to trade him if he plays well enough. Manu might be gone next season

Terrible take tbh, Beli is a negative impact player, he shouldn't replace Manu in any scenario, KA is the one who's gonna repace Manu anyway and he will need a wing who can defend next to him, not a revolving door like Beli...

Johnny RIngo
10-24-2014, 09:27 AM
I swear some of you really underestimate his value to the team. I wouldn't want him on any other team than ours.

He has no value to this team. His defense is among the worst in the league and his offense isn't consistent or reliable enough to get him minutes over more deserving players like Anderson. Even at 2.7 million, he's vastly overpaid. The only useful thing he does is get Ginobili rest in the regular season.

DocDoc
10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I doubt if Belinelli gets traded, even if KA continues to improve. Marco's a great "regular season minutes" eater at his position and a known floor spacer (3-point shooting champ). I actually think he has a chance to improve in his second year in the Spurs "system".

As far as Anderson getting some meaningful minutes as a rookie, with his high BBIQ, versatility and unique skillset, it's possible he can get 10-15 mpg, especially with Mills out. I'm still not sold on Joseph.

^ the truth

ElNono
10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Is he sucks so badly, how is he going to land us a 1st round pick? :lol

Suddenly, he's a premium player only if he plays for another team?

manufan10
10-24-2014, 10:53 AM

SpursTalk logic, tbh.

Baam
10-24-2014, 11:04 AM
The point is that he needs to be traded or put in a suit, anything else is hurting the Spurs...

lurker23
10-24-2014, 11:34 AM
I think a lot of this scenario depends on how Anderson's 3-point shooting is in NBA regular season games. If he can't shoot at least 35% from 3, then I think his chances of getting significant minutes in this Spurs system are slim. However, if he continues his great 3-point shooting, can defend at least as well as Belinelli, and adds a little more passing skill to the rotation, I don't think it's too far fetched to have him getting significant minutes at backup wing.

Darius McCrary
10-24-2014, 11:58 AM
He's too valuable in regular season racking up W situations.

Keep him.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Terrible take tbh, Beli is a negative impact player, he shouldn't replace Manu in any scenario, KA is the one who's gonna repace Manu anyway and he will need a wing who can defend next to him, not a revolving door like Beli...I usually try to look at it from the team's point of view. Given theat they are much more successful than you at basketball, I'm going to stick with that.

look_at_g_shred
10-24-2014, 12:29 PM
He has no value to this team. His defense is among the worst in the league and his offense isn't consistent or reliable enough to get him minutes over more deserving players like Anderson. Even at 2.7 million, he's vastly overpaid. The only useful thing he does is get Ginobili rest in the regular season.
ok bruh

Dex
10-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Ya'll postin' in a troll thread and what not.

Mr. Body
10-24-2014, 01:09 PM
I look forward to bumping this thread in January when he's carrying a lot of the offensive load off the bench and eating up minutes to keep Ginobili healthy.

MaNu4Tres
10-24-2014, 01:23 PM

It's really amazing how many people can't comprehend. The whole scenario is based at the trade deadline ( not now, not early in the season, not mid season, but towards the end of the season). And this whole scenario is based on the variables : A) Anderson exceeds expectations and earns minutes by the trade deadline. B) If Manu and Green are healthy. All hypotheticals.

Never did I say Belinelli sucks. Never did I say this trade should happen right now.

Also, to answer many people's takes on the value of a 1st round pick. Just because a player in a trade doesn't net a 1st round pick doesn't mean the player wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick in terms of value. Some of you are totally unaware on what assets are exactly given up in trades.

For example, in the trade for Arron Afflalo that objective pointed out, the Magic received valuable cap space in the trade w/ Afflalo for Evan Fournier and the 2nd round pick (salary dump/cap room being the asset the Magic received). This trade helped them allocate the cap space for a bigger necessity (a stretch 4 in Frye)-- since Afflalo was somewhat expendable because of how high they are Oladipo at the SG position (on rookie contract). It also created flexibility for summer of 15'-- which helped sign Vucevic to an extension and it will also help their desire to sign Tobias Harris to an extension ( a player they are high on going forward at the SF position). In today's NBA with the tax threshold in place, cap space is far more valuable than a 1st round pick as long the 1st round pick doesn't have a high probability to being a top 3 pick for that season.

MaNu4Tres
10-24-2014, 01:28 PM
I look forward to bumping this thread in January when he's carrying a lot of the offensive load off the bench and eating up minutes to keep Ginobili healthy.

I look forward to the day when people can actually comprehend effectively.

ElNono
10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Never did I say Belinelli sucks. Never did I say this trade should happen right now.

Wasn't necessarily directed at you. As you say, you didn't say he sucks.

timtonymanu
10-24-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't see it either. I don't think it sends a good message to trade a guy who took less money to play here in favor of a rookie, even though I dislike Belinelli.

It's funny how defensive people get on here about Belinelli. :lol. He was absolutely awful in the playoffs outside of his big shot in Game 3.

Raven
10-24-2014, 04:33 PM

Baam
10-24-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't see it either. I don't think it sends a good message to trade a guy who took less money to play here in favor of a rookie, even though I dislike Belinelli.

It's funny how defensive people get on here about Belinelli. :lol. He was absolutely awful in the playoffs outside of his big shot in Game 3.

That's pretty much what they did with RJeff tho and he was much better than Beli tbh.

ElNono
10-24-2014, 05:03 PM
That's pretty much what they did with RJeff tho and he was much better than Beli tbh.

Richard Jefferson was traded with an albatross contract... he never took less money. His extension was also highway robbery, IMO.

Baam
10-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Richard Jefferson was traded with an albatross contract... he never took less money. His extension was also highway robbery, IMO.

Well he did that's why he got that extension.

Anyway there's two paths for Beli : either he becomes the Bonner of the guards who doesn't mind being in a suit or he gets jefferson'd...

xmas1997
10-24-2014, 05:31 PM
I doubt they trade Beli regardless of how well Kyle plays.

This being his second season as well as a contract year I expect him to be better.

I fully expect to see the Spurs use both players in the best way to maximize their abilities.

This is what the Spurs do, and with Mills out for a while this is a great opportunity to do so.

Mel_13
10-24-2014, 05:38 PM
If Kyle Anderson continues to produce and progress throughout the season with the minutes he's given, Pop has to find him minutes at the expense of Belinelli whenever Spurs are healthy and whole.

If this scenario plays out and if Manu and Danny stay healthy, Belinelli and his role will become expendable. Especially considering its highly unlikely Spurs re-sign Belinelli next summer because re-signing Green will be the priority, and also considering the emergence of Anderson (hypothetical: under the scenario where he earns a spot this year). Therefore, it might be wise to trade him and get something back in return (1st rnd pick) before Spurs would let him walk via FA.

Again this is no hate on Marco, I think he will have a good season considering its his contract year-- it may be his last chance for 4-5 mil per next summer. I just think given the circumstances and with the way the roster is constructed, this scenario could realistically arise, he could be the odd man out of the rotation-- becoming expendable.

Not saying this will happen, a lot of variables have to align for this to play out.

sup 'Tres.

I can imagine KA supplanting Beli in the rotation, but I can't imagine that happening and Beli netting a first round pick in a trade. Without that sort of return, his residual value as injury insurance makes it extremely unlikely that he would be traded in the scenario you lay out.

Basically, if he plays well enough to attract a first round pick, he won't lose his place in the rotation. If he doesn't play well enough to keep his place in the rotation, he won't attract a first round pick.

xmas1997
10-24-2014, 06:35 PM
sup 'Tres.

I can imagine KA supplanting Beli in the rotation, but I can't imagine that happening and Beli netting a first round pick in a trade. Without that sort of return, his residual value as injury insurance makes it extremely unlikely that he would be traded in the scenario you lay out.

Basically, if he plays well enough to attract a first round pick, he won't lose his place in the rotation. If he doesn't play well enough to keep his place in the rotation, he won't attract a first round pick.

Hey, this is ST.

ST is no place for sensible logic like that, or weren't you aware?

ElNono
10-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Well he did that's why he got that extension.

Anyway there's two paths for Beli : either he becomes the Bonner of the guards who doesn't mind being in a suit or he gets jefferson'd...

RJ extended for 4/$39m.... while it's true he walked away from guaranteed $15m in his previous deal, the extension was more than generous...

I'm sure Beli would love to get an extension like that...

cd021
10-24-2014, 06:57 PM

a second rounder more likely. But i do think he could fall out of the rotation. The Spurs would probably still hold on to him for the rest of the season because of the depth it would provide at the 2 guard. Then again Beli +Ayers have $6.9 million in trade value, throw in Daye and thats about $8 million that they could bring back in salary.

If Kawhi gets his max extension and the Spurs resign Green, and Duncan and or Manu return, they would need to use an exception to bring him back. So I could see them potentially letting him walk if he gets a good offer.

hater
10-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Manu was expendable when he joined the Heat championship team and he got 20 mill in the offseason

I think Ferrari is safe :lmao

exstatic
10-24-2014, 07:54 PM
a second rounder more likely. But i do think he could fall out of the rotation. The Spurs would probably still hold on to him for the rest of the season because of the depth it would provide at the 2 guard. Then again Beli +Ayers have $6.9 million in trade value, throw in Daye and thats about $8 million that they could bring back in salary.

If Kawhi gets his max extension and the Spurs resign Green, and Duncan and or Manu return, they would need to use an exception to bring him back. So I could see them potentially letting him walk if he gets a good offer.

OTOH, they could wait until next summer to re-sign Kawhi, leaving caproom to re-sign Beli, and sign another player or two under the cap, then use Bird Rights to sign Kawhi to a new deal.

cd021
10-26-2014, 09:19 PM
OTOH, they could wait until next summer to re-sign Kawhi, leaving caproom to re-sign Beli, and sign another player or two under the cap, then use Bird Rights to sign Kawhi to a new deal.

I hope the Spurs go that route. The maxing out Kawhi route would limit the Spurs ability to make major additions and Duncan and or Manu could always retire. They'd have something like $60 million committed to only 9 players (Kawhi, Parker, Anderson, Splitter, Mills, Diaw, Green [cap hold], LJC)

Going the Kawhi cap hold route would give the Spurs about $50 million including Kawhi and Greens cap holds (he's probably not getting much more than the $7.6 million cap hold for next season) along with LJCs rookie deal. They would have to renounce everyone excluding Kawhi, Green, Duncan and Manu.

If one of those two retire and the other takes a deal for around $5 million. Add in Belinelli for around the mid level salary of $5 million and the Spurs could have $11 million in cap space (with 11 players) if the cap jumps past the projected $66.5 million to $70 million because of the new tv deal.

Sean Cagney
10-26-2014, 09:45 PM

For the right price I would say I would not mind them trading him, other than that I agree. You won't get the right price for him though, so he can stay.

Johnny RIngo
10-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I hope the Spurs go that route. The maxing out Kawhi route would limit the Spurs ability to make major additions and Duncan and or Manu could always retire. They'd have something like $60 million committed to only 9 players (Kawhi, Parker, Anderson, Splitter, Mills, Diaw, Green [cap hold], LJC)

Going the Kawhi cap hold route would give the Spurs about $50 million including Kawhi and Greens cap holds (he's probably not getting much more than the $7.6 million cap hold for next season) along with LJCs rookie deal. They would have to renounce everyone excluding Kawhi, Green, Duncan and Manu.

If one of those two retire and the other takes a deal for around $5 million. Add in Belinelli for around the mid level salary of $5 million and the Spurs could have $11 million in cap space (with 11 players) if the cap jumps past the projected $66.5 million to $70 million because of the new tv deal.

Marco is NOT worth $5 million. He's a shitty, shitty player. Hell, I'm finding it very hard to justify his current price of $2.7 million.

Raven
10-26-2014, 10:31 PM

jeebus fucking christ :wow

cd98
10-27-2014, 06:24 AM
Spurs offense revolves around creating space. Beli creates space with his shooting ability. He also has above average dribbling and passing for a 2/3. He's not a good defender, but that's not his role. He just merely needs to be an adequate defender in the Spurs defense. He's not getting traded BC he means a lot to the Spurs system.

cd021
10-27-2014, 09:28 AM
jeebus fucking christ :wow
I had Manu in mind for the $5 million dollar deal but thats probably a stretch for either.

Mel_13
10-27-2014, 09:36 AM
I had Manu in mind for the $5 million dollar deal but thats probably a stretch for either.

Beli's gonna have to have one fantastic season to garner an MLE-sized offer. Room exception or less seems much more likely.

cd021
10-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Marco is NOT worth $5 million. He's a shitty, shitty player. Hell, I'm finding it very hard to justify his current price of $2.7 million.

He could make $5 million in the NBA. The offseason was filled with role players getting over payed. The cap was $58 million when he first signed it could easily reach $70 million by the time he is an UFA. He actually turned down bigger offer to play for then Spurs then. The Spurs could always let him walk in the offseason but it as an estimate on my part.

look_at_g_shred
10-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Beli's value to the team is high. I don't know how anyone tht knows basketball can't see. On offense, he always has to be accounted for. That in itself creates space for Parker, Manu, mills even Anderson this year, to make plays. And if you don't account for him, game over. Also, as overrated as it may seem to some, his cuts on offense are great and needed to open the floor up. It moves the defense side to side. On defense, he's not going to shut you dwn. That is not what Beli is. Is he a below average defender? That's up for debate. All he needs to do is take space away from his man. The help defense is there for exactly that.....help. So I think beli is an excellent player for the spurs. And for everyone to say let him walk, I'm just curious to know who would fit better, and play like an MVP at that position?

Raven
10-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Beli's value to the team is high. I don't know how anyone tht knows basketball can't see. On offense, he always has to be accounted for. That in itself creates space for Parker, Manu, mills even Anderson this year, to make plays. And if you don't account for him, game over. Also, as overrated as it may seem to some, his cuts on offense are great and needed to open the floor up. It moves the defense side to side. On defense, he's not going to shut you dwn. That is not what Beli is. Is he a below average defender? That's up for debate. All he needs to do is take space away from his man. The help defense is there for exactly that.....help. So I think beli is an excellent player for the spurs. And for everyone to say let him walk, I'm just curious to know who would fit better, and play like an MVP at that position?

damn :lol

cd021
10-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Beli's gonna have to have one fantastic season to garner an MLE-sized offer. Room exception or less seems much more likely.
I was taking into account the cap jumping past $70 million next offseason. Still that's probably too much for the Spurs to pay for Beli (i think he could get an offer from another team for around that). He is coming off, by far, his best season of his career. I don't think he would take less than $3.5 million per to return though.

Mel_13
10-27-2014, 05:12 PM
I was taking into account the cap jumping past $70 million next offseason. Still that's probably too much for the Spurs to pay for Beli (i think he could get an offer from another team for around that). He is coming off, by far, his best season of his career. I don't think he would take less than $3.5 million per to return though.

Lots of variables. I suppose if Jodie Meeks gets over 6M per year, anything is possible.

KL2
10-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Spurs offense revolves around creating space. Beli creates space with his shooting ability. He also has above average dribbling and passing for a 2/3. He's not a good defender, but that's not his role. He just merely needs to be an adequate defender in the Spurs defense. He's not getting traded BC he means a lot to the Spurs system.

they pretty much won the championship without him, he was a defensive liability out there so whatever he scored he pretty much gave up on defense. Spurs need playoff performers, some guys can step it up, others can't.

Belli is great in the RS, his game just doesn't seem to translate to the playoffs where it truly matters. He needs to really step up his defense this year. But Who knows, it could be that he needs just another year to learn the spurs system and he figures it all out.

Malik Hairston
10-27-2014, 06:55 PM
I was one of the biggest Belinelli haters last year, I called his demise months in advance, but I don't mind having him on the team, as long as Pop stops playing him in the playoffs(which is what happened last year after the Mavs series)..

He's a good player during the regular season, where opposing coaches hardly game plan and strategize, tbh, so he doesn't get nearly as exploited on defense as he does during the playoffs..the Spurs are probably going to rest players even more than usual this season, so having a 40+% 3-point shooter helps(as long as he's stuck to the bench in the playoffs)..

barbacoataco
10-27-2014, 07:00 PM
He played well in the Portland series and shot 42% 3 pt overall in the playoffs. Clearly some match ups work better for him. He's good enough to start on a few NBA teams.

cd021
10-27-2014, 08:56 PM
they pretty much won the championship without him, he was a defensive liability out there so whatever he scored he pretty much gave up on defense. Spurs need playoff performers, some guys can step it up, others can't.

Belli is great in the RS, his game just doesn't seem to translate to the playoffs where it truly matters. He needs to really step up his defense this year. But Who knows, it could be that he needs just another year to learn the spurs system and he figures it all out.

That seems a bit hasty. He did play very well against Portland (10 ppg, 43% 3pt in 21mpg). His minutes fell off when Kawhi got more minutes against OKC and Miami. He was a mess against the Mavs. Shooting 37% from the field and hitting only 9 shots in almost 100 minutes of floor time.

I think his defense varies between average and below average. His offense offsets that and most of the time still makes him a positive. Neal (in his final season) was awful on defense and struggled on offense. Belinelli was +9 in Net Rtg & +5 in the postseason. Neal was -7 and -8 Net Rtg from the regular season to the playoffs.

He role as the backup SF means come playoff time his minutes will diminish as the Spurs go deeper or how we match-up. He will have to produce with fewer minutes.

cjw
10-28-2014, 12:26 AM
He was also a negative impact player all of last season

Who were you going to replace his minutes with? Should we have kept Gary Neal around? He played in 80 games last year and was second on the team in total minutes behind Duncan, all while shooting 48.5% (good for a 2/3) and with a league average PER. Yes, his defense leaves a lot to be desired but you can do a lot worse than him.

And since when is preseason performance a good indicator of anything?

spurraider21
10-28-2014, 12:33 AM
I was one of the biggest Belinelli haters last year, I called his demise months in advance, but I don't mind having him on the team, as long as Pop stops playing him in the playoffs(which is what happened last year after the Mavs series)..

He's a good player during the regular season, where opposing coaches hardly game plan and strategize, tbh, so he doesn't get nearly as exploited on defense as he does during the playoffs..the Spurs are probably going to rest players even more than usual this season, so having a 40+% 3-point shooter helps(as long as he's stuck to the bench in the playoffs)..
gotta give props, you were comparing him to turkoglu down the stretch :lol