PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: Klay Thompson growing frustrated at no max offer

djohn2oo8
10-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Klay Thompson's camp is frustrated that the Golden State Warriors haven't offered a maximum contract in their ongoing extension talks with Friday's deadline nearing, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Thompson is seeking a maximum deal paying upward of $15 million per season, a source said. The Warriors have improved their offer to get in the vicinity but have not offered a full maximum contract, sources said.

If Thompson and the Warriors do not come to terms on an extension by the Halloween deadline, he will be a restricted free agent next summer.

Warriors owner Joe Lacob has yet to become comfortable offering a maximum extension, sources said. A source close to Thompson said any offer shy of a max would be "absurd" considering his improvement and the influx of money to come to NBA teams from the next television contract.

Thompson averaged 18.4 points, 2.8 3-pointers, 3.1 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game last season and also has a reputation as a strong defender. He helped his stock with a strong performance for the gold-medal winning USA Basketball team during the 2014 World Cup in Spain. Thompson is slated to make $3 million this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--stalling-contract-talks-between-thompson--warriors-causing-frustration--201359342.html

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:05 PM
He comin to da Lakers for real

spurraider21
10-25-2014, 06:11 PM
He comin to da Lakers for real
for the max? i hope so

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:12 PM
for the max? i hope so

He worth it IMO.

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Shiieet. It's not like we gettin Durant anyway gotta use that $$$ on someone young with a live body

spurraider21
10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
:lol

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Listen spermraider the lakers just spent 78.5 mil on Kobe and Nash, MLE on swGgy and $9 mil 1 yr on Jordan hill kalye at max ain't a bad thing

spurraider21
10-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Listen spermraider the lakers just spent 78.5 mil on Kobe and Nash, MLE on swGgy and $9 mil 1 yr on Jordan hill kalye at max ain't a bad thing
so because you are overpaying for those players, it makes it ok to overpay for yet another?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGowUsdFHcs

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:25 PM
so because you are overpaying for those players, it makes it ok to overpay for yet another?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGowUsdFHcs
Yeah that's about right ain't my money homie

spurraider21
10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Yeah that's about right ain't my money homie
its not about the money out of the pocket, its about the money coming out of your cap room

Cry Havoc
10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
He's a great player. Not worth the max though.

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:29 PM
its not about the money out of the pocket, its about the money coming out of your cap room

:lol lux tax ain't comin out of my pocket nigra, I don't think we in the same page:lol

Buddy Mignon
10-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Shiieet. It's not like we gettin Durant anyway gotta use that $$$ on someone young with a live body

Did Clippatown hack this account?

Chomag
10-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Hes one of the best if not the best "current" Shooting guards in the league right now so yeah he should deserve max on that, but its sad how weak the SG position is right now.

Buddy Mignon
10-25-2014, 06:34 PM

Great at what??? His best year was 18ppg at 44%. You fucking nerds sure have lowered the standards of the league.

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Tbh tho. Maxin Klay ain't a bad deal especially once that new CBA kicks in. He gonna be a bargain. Feel me.

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Great at what??? His best year was 18ppg at 44%. You fucking nerds sure have lowered the standards of the league.

He a young buck. He gonna improved. I like da kid. Dude is deadly beyond the arc and we already have a banger and future 20 and 10 presence with Randle.

skut_farkus
10-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Max? :lol

Buddy Mignon
10-25-2014, 06:43 PM
He a young buck. He gonna improved. I like da kid. Dude is deadly beyond the arc and we already have a banger and future 20 and 10 presence with Randle.

Look here, pal... he ain't no max player. You got one jackass in here that even had the nerve to call him great. He's a good role player for a contending team... which we aren't!!!

Buddy Mignon
10-25-2014, 06:46 PM

Also... Randle seems to have expanded his game in just a few short months from college to pros. I was pissed we took him but if he can work hard he'd make a damn good wing player... with power... like Barkley.

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Look here, pal... he ain't no max player. You got one jackass in here that even had the nerve to call him great. He's a good role player for a contending team... which we aren't!!!
U a legend but I disagree. He da next Glen rice, them shooters don't grow In trees

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Also... Randle seems to have expanded his game in just a few short months from college to pros. I was pissed we took him but if he can work hard he'd make a damn good wing player... with power... like Barkley.

Dude was projected to go #1 he's legit we stole that one:lol

Buddy Mignon
10-25-2014, 06:55 PM
U a legend but I disagree. He da next Glen rice, them shooters don't grow In trees

Time will tell, but I doubt it. He's been a role player his entire life.

Buddy Mignon
10-25-2014, 06:56 PM

It's looking that way.

djohn2oo8
10-25-2014, 06:57 PM
He hasn't even played a real game yet

lefty
10-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Great ?

Franklin
10-25-2014, 07:15 PM
If Chandler the fat fag Parsons deserves 15m/yr I think a max shouldn't be too much for Thompson tbh.

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 07:25 PM
He hasn't even played a real game yet

Dude Randle is for real. Only reason he dropped from the stock was because of his foot surgery. He a project alright but he's the most impressive rookie the Lakers have drafted in decades.

spurraider21
10-25-2014, 07:27 PM
:lol lux tax ain't comin out of my pocket nigra, I don't think we in the same page:lol
you're so dense. you can't build a team if you are cap constrained. either learn how luxury tax works or stfu.

this is what a bad cap situation leads to

http://nbaarena.com/img/haberler/lakers-team-2014.jpg

spurraider21
10-25-2014, 07:27 PM
julius randle was never going #1 :lmao

RsxPiimp
10-25-2014, 07:45 PM
you're so dense. you can't build a team if you are cap constrained. either learn how luxury tax works or stfu.

this is what a bad cap situation leads to

http://nbaarena.com/img/haberler/lakers-team-2014.jpg
You dumbass can't even tell if someone is having a decent conversation or just playin wit u. If I want 2 talk basketball I ain't talk w/ u homo:lol

Juggity
10-25-2014, 07:54 PM
lmao @ any team that throws a max contract at shooting guard in 2014.

spurraider21
10-25-2014, 07:55 PM
You dumbass can't even tell if someone is having a decent conversation or just playin wit u. If I want 2 talk basketball I ain't talk w/ u homo:lol
nice out, faggot

Cry Havoc
10-25-2014, 08:08 PM

So let's break down your points here.

Great at what??? His best year was 18ppg

You do realize that only 29 other players in the league scored more than Klay, right? And given the fact that nearly ALL of them were the primary scorers for their team, a guy putting up 18 in today's NBA as the second option is pretty rare. This isn't the 80s where no one plays defense and everyone on the starting 5 scores 20+ a night.

at 44%.

Did you really just say that a guy who shoots 44% as a primarily 3 point shooter is bad? Because... you're just wrong.

You fucking nerds sure have lowered the standards of the league.

Sure, if you don't count the fact that he's a great defender at the 2 guard, something that's a huge asset to have.

skut_farkus
10-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Arron afflalo and Wesley matthews will give you close to the same numbers for a fraction of the price

Malik Hairston
10-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Klay Thompson is just an above average player, tbh..

- 14 PER for a high-usage player is fucking pathetic and embarrassing
- 12 PER in the playoffs last year
- Constantly disappears in big games, has proven that he can be completely eliminated from playoff games with little resistance
- Good defensive on/off metrics, average offensive metrics

The reason Thompson is hyped is because he plays with Curry and a popular Warriors team, which made him part of the "Splash Brothers", tbh..

Any team that pays the Max for him is crippling their franchise..

He's Danny Green with better ball-handling(but still just average), tbh..

Robz4000
10-25-2014, 10:01 PM

- Constantly disappears in big games, has proven that he can be completely eliminated from playoff games with little resistance

The reason Thompson is hyped is because he plays with Curry and a popular Warriors team, which made him part of the "Splash Brothers", tbh..

Any team that pays the Max for him is crippling their franchise..

He's Danny Green with better ball-handling(but still just average), tbh..

Danny Green is a better defender tbh.

skut_farkus
10-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Danny green is another good choice tbh

Cry Havoc
10-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Danny Green is a better defender tbh.

Green is one of the best guard defenders in the league, however. Being worse than him on defense is not a terrible thing.

Klay has a far better ability to put the ball on the floor than Green, as well.

wanggi
10-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Only the superstars/playmakers are worth max contact several years go. Now everyone is dealing with the max contract.
Bledsoe, Parsons, Thompson, Monroe,.....

100%duncan
10-26-2014, 01:11 AM
:rollin

AaronY
10-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Barkley..wing player..good lord

Bill_Brasky
10-26-2014, 06:23 AM
God damn i fucking hate sports sometimes. Yeah Thompson isnt worth the max but when he sees some of these pieces of shit that get max contracts why shouldnt he expect the same?

StrengthAndHonor
10-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Is Klay worth the max? by metrics, he's not worth anything close to it (Mainly PER, but we should all know by now it's one of the most outdated metric with new formulas and analysis proving a better picture as analytics continue to play a larger role)

But it's a common belief that he would garner a max offer sheet if he hits the restricted market. Thompson in players mold are valued on the market's action every offseason. You see Parsons, Bledsoe and Gordon Hayward getting these numbers so it's not even a debate anymore, Klay will get a mini max contract and for his camp, they can justify the highest possible number available for him.

He is an elite shooter, there's no question about it but he's also an underrated defender.Players he defended shot 36.3% last year via Synergy Sports while turning the ball over 11% of their possessions. It's even more impressive when you consider the caliber of players he defends at the wing position(Jackson always limits the amount of energy for Curry).

He was excellent defending Chris Paul last year in the playoffs, so it's no surprise when you look at CP3's numbers against Golden State (17.4 PPG 42% shooting) His assist total also dipped (9.0) and he recorded a career high in TOV (25) for the series.

StrengthAndHonor
10-26-2014, 06:52 AM

That's not a fair assessment of Klay Thompsons' game IMHO. Usage rate is good but NBA.com's SportsVU player tracking data had him at 37.7 touches per game, fewer than players like Blatche, Butler and Ellis and other non impact players etc...

He's a catch and shoot player that expands a good amount of his energy defensively to cover Curry's non existent effort on the wings.

Doesn't give him an excuse but we all know at his age and experience his value isn't climbing simply because of what he did; it's rising because of what he could do in the future.

King Emmanuel
10-26-2014, 07:02 AM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcntt98lng1rebs1uo1_400.gif

Killakobe81
10-26-2014, 01:17 PM

No he is not. But Lakers are desperate. Gstate just spent big money extending bogut and curry and signed ight to a big deal so I get their hesitation, here. Unless they offer a deal with big money early opt out I doubt warriors don't match any deal. Best case for warriors is a trade flip injured Klay for Beal and a pick maybe? Not sure if cap works

Killakobe81
10-26-2014, 01:19 PM
God damn i fucking hate sports sometimes. Yeah Thompson isnt worth the max but when he sees some of these pieces of shit that get max contracts why shouldnt he expect the same?
This

Killakobe81
10-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Arron afflalo and Wesley matthews will give you close to the same numbers for a fraction of the price
I
Afflalo has a fairly large contract iirc

Shastafarian
10-26-2014, 02:04 PM
I
Afflalo has a fairly large contract iirc

basketball-reference has him at $7.75 mil this year and $7.9 mil next season.

RsxPiimp
10-26-2014, 02:40 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcntt98lng1rebs1uo1_400.gif

I almost feel bad now for ditching Spurraider everytime he attempts to talk to me :lol He seems like a nice guy tbh, but there's just something about his approach I find corny and annoying ..:lol

Brunodf
10-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Not worth tbh...

Mikeanaro
10-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Overrated, looks like Butthead and Curry is very Beavis looking.

spurraider21
10-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I almost feel bad now for ditching Spurraider everytime he attempts to talk to me :lol He seems like a nice guy tbh, but there's just something about his approach I find corny and annoying ..:lol
yeah after 7 posts on the topic defending ur point... suddenly its ":lol i was kidding the whole time :lol"

RsxPiimp
10-26-2014, 03:52 PM
see what im saying, always beggin fo mo :lol

Clipper Nation
10-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Philo getting regulated :lol

noob cake
10-26-2014, 05:35 PM
So let's break down your points here.

You do realize that only 29 other players in the league scored more than Klay, right? And given the fact that nearly ALL of them were the primary scorers for their team, a guy putting up 18 in today's NBA as the second option is pretty rare. This isn't the 80s where no one plays defense and everyone on the starting 5 scores 20+ a night.

Did you really just say that a guy who shoots 44% as a primarily 3 point shooter is bad? Because... you're just wrong.

Sure, if you don't count the fact that he's a great defender at the 2 guard, something that's a huge asset to have.

18 PPG on 14 PER.

At least Chandler Fatsons can pass and managed to achieve a above average 16 PER last season.

JamStone
10-28-2014, 11:32 AM
The new TV deal and the projections on the future salary cap plays a role here, similar to perhaps why the Suns ended up relinquishing to Bledsoe's camp on the amount of money. Some capologists project that the salary cap could get as high as around $80 million in a couple years. That $15 million a year is then closer to about $11 million a year under the current cap.

Now whether you think Klay is worth either amount is up to you. But there is a part of that TV deal and assumptions on increased salary cap that may play a role in what teams are willing to pay the next couple seasons.

Chinook
10-28-2014, 02:25 PM
The new TV deal and the projections on the future salary cap plays a role here, similar to perhaps why the Suns ended up relinquishing to Bledsoe's camp on the amount of money. Some capologists project that the salary cap could get as high as around $80 million in a couple years. That $15 million a year is then closer to about $11 million a year under the current cap.

Now whether you think Klay is worth either amount is up to you. But there is a part of that TV deal and assumptions on increased salary cap that may play a role in what teams are willing to pay the next couple seasons.

A big reason to not hand out max extensions is that no one knows how much the cap is going to grow next summer. Sure, if the max is something like $90M/5, then that may not be a terrible deal. But if the cap undergoes the 'smoothing over' people are suggesting, Thompson's deal may end up being $110M/5, which is just too much to pay no matter how big the cap gets.

However, it's not like the Warriors can sign Klay to a $70M/4 extension or something, because the starting salary would be more than the current max is. So unless Golden State can get Thompson to take a deal smaller than the current max, then they are pretty much handing him a blank check for 2015 whether they sign him this season or not.

CitizenDwayne
10-28-2014, 02:31 PM
:lol @ any team that expects max-worthy performance from Klay fucking Thompson

JamStone
10-28-2014, 02:36 PM
A big reason to not hand out max extensions is that no one knows how much the cap is going to grow next summer. Sure, if the max is something like $90M/5, then that may not be a terrible deal. But if the cap undergoes the 'smoothing over' people are suggesting, Thompson's deal may end up being $110M/5, which is just too much to pay no matter how big the cap gets.

However, it's not like the Warriors can sign Klay to a $70M/4 extension or something, because the starting salary would be more than the current max is. So unless Golden State can get Thompson to take a deal smaller than the current max, then they are pretty much handing him a blank check for 2015 whether they sign him this season or not.

From what I've read, when the cap increases, current salaries will NOT be prorated up the same percentage. They will remain the same. So if GS signs Klay hypothetically to a 4 year $60M contract right now under the $60 million cap, it will still be 4 years, $60M under a $70 million cap or a $80 million cap or a $90 million cap. At least that's what I've read. It behooves teams to sign players to higher deals now before the cap starts to increase in bigger chunks.

Chinook
10-28-2014, 02:39 PM
From what I've read, when the cap increases, current salaries will NOT be prorated up the same percentage. They will remain the same. So if GS signs Klay hypothetically to a 4 year $60M contract right now under the $60 million cap, it will still be 4 years, $60M under a $70 million cap or a $80 million cap or a $90 million cap. At least that's what I've read. It behooves teams to sign players to higher deals now before the cap starts to increase in bigger chunks.

A max deal is literally just for the max -- it doesn't have an actual number put in it. We won't know what the max is for sure until after July 10, 2015, which is why it's subject to change. Contracts with numbers like Faried's are indeed unaffected by the cap. But Irving's deal, for example, won't be known until next off-season.

Buddy Mignon
06-05-2015, 02:13 AM

My words are scripture.

Thread
06-05-2015, 07:14 AM
My words are scripture.

scripture