PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Alejandro Montecchia

diego
08-26-2005, 12:44 PM
The spurs tried to pick him up last season i believe, and he is currently not under contract. Could do well as a 3rd string PG (is mike wilks still under contract?)

Pros: good outside shot, unselfish, clutch, Argentine connection
Cons: aging, poor D.

Really for a 3rd stringer on the end of the bench, what more do you want?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-26-2005, 01:38 PM
The spurs tried to pick him up last season i believe, and he is currently not under contract. Could do well as a 3rd string PG (is mike wilks still under contract?)

Pros: good outside shot, unselfish, clutch, Argentine connection

Really for a 3rd stringer on the end of the bench, what more do you want?

His knees are in very bad shape, I doubt he could play in an 82 games season with many back-to-back games. He played in half of the games (24) for Pamesa Valencia last season. Could work as a back-up in the injured list, and with a contract no longer than two years.

drivanroca
08-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Great player... AGE?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Great player... AGE?

33 (born 01/01/1972)

Obi wan Ginobili
08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
God.. can you imagine if this player had bad hands?

What a name rofl...

kolko
08-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I think he will play in some team of the Argentinian League. The Spurs were interested in him before signing Shane Heal.

diego
08-26-2005, 02:38 PM
yeah, I know his knees are practically shot, but he could be useful for some minutes if udrih or parker get hurt. we are talking about 3rd string here. I dont think NVE would be interested in that kind of role, and since as far as I know Wilks is gone, we should have some kind of 3rd option at PG.

kolko
08-26-2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2004/08/28/thumb/d002bh01.jpg

Alejandro Montecchia
Height : 5' 11"

A small point guard with a solid and muscled body structure........good athlete, has quickness and lateral mobility.......he is a smart player........has average leadership on the court.......can lead his team but must improve his decision making ability........he can shoot the ball, hit the threes, get the shot coming off a pick and also spot up for kick out situations.......excellent ball-handler, has quickness.......he is limited getting into the lane by his short size that prevents him to finish effectively near the basket.......good free throw shooter........excellent on pick and rolls.......sticky defender, has good lateral quickness........can slide keeping his nose on the ball and containing the drive........has trouble when biggest opponents wants to post him up.......one of the Top point guard of Argentina........he doesn't have great experience at the International level.......however is a good player who can fit in medium-high level team.

drivanroca
08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Nice pic!

MmP
08-27-2005, 07:45 AM
I remember him guarding Iverson in Athens better than Sanchez or even Manu.

waly.mg
08-27-2005, 09:05 AM
This guy made 3 Keys Threes in Atenas vs USA

But probaly call a career

Numbers vs USA

12 Points
1 of 1 2FG
3 of 6 3FG
1 of 2 FT
2 Assist
2 Steals
2 TO
20 Minutes

diego
08-27-2005, 09:57 AM

oh he can read plays well enough to play good D... but with the NBA rules and athletes, combined with the decline in his physical ability, lets just say he would struggle. Defensive PGs are rare though, and like I said his primary task would be to play spot minutes and make the occasional outside shot to break a zone.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-27-2005, 11:51 AM

oh he can read plays well enough to play good D... but with the NBA rules and athletes, combined with the decline in his physical ability, lets just say he would struggle. Defensive PGs are rare though, and like I said his primary task would be to play spot minutes and make the occasional outside shot to break a zone.

I agree with diego here. And in my opinion, Pepe's man-to-man defence is much better than Montecchia's. Pepe cooled down both Marbury and Iverson in those games, and Andre Miller and Baron Davis in the 2002 World Championships.

TOP-CHERRY
08-27-2005, 12:03 PM
God.. can you imagine if this player had bad hands?

What a name rofl...
I don't get it.

waly.mg
08-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Montecchia can play a little Steve Kerr way

Dex
08-27-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't get it.

I think it's a 'joke' because his bio says that he has excellent ball-handling abilities.

Because he naturally wouldn't be much of a point gaurd without that.

I don't know, I haven't been up for very long, so my sense of humor might still just be AWOL.

danyel
08-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't get it.

I think he is making a reference about the similarities between the name Montecchia and the spanish word Manteca (butter).

beirmeistr
08-27-2005, 05:29 PM
I think he is comparing his name Montecchia with mantequilla, the spanish word for butter. Which would actually be funny if he had butterfingers.