PDA

View Full Version : Return of the slam dunk contest??

sickdsm
08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Little tidbits from the CBA that were pointed out on another forum.

Teams can be fined $5,000 for not trying hard to get their players extra long beds in hotel rooms.

Players with NBA contracts who are sent to the NBDL will be hated by their teammates. Not only do they get NBA salaries, but they also get NBA food expenses ($102 per day) and if seats are available those guys will sit in first class while their teammates languish in coach. When they get to the hotel, the players with NBA contracts will not be made to share rooms.

The Qyntel Woods rule: "At the commencement of each Season, and if the player owns or operates any motor vehicle, the player will provide the Team with proof that the player possesses a valid driver’s license, registration documents, and insurance for any such vehicle."

Players will be required to attend annual training sessoins on substance abuse awareness, HIV awareness, gambling awareness, media training, and "the business of basketball."

The Players Association Foundation will get 50% of fine money, which is a bad deal for players: now it means the union will have a financial incentive not to fight huge fines.

Players are required to attend All-Star events if asked. Seems like it's not a privelege, but an obligation.

NBA contracts can't have no-trade clauses, but can have trade bonuses.

The AS events one really got to me. Does this mean that guys like VC, Kobe, etc.. if they were asked HAVE to be in it? It would also seem to me that the reason they put that in is to actually invite the top tier guys again.

kolko
08-26-2005, 02:38 PM
http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XXI.php

timvp
08-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Most players point to injury concerns while backing out of the dunk contest. I don't see that changing.

The only way to change it is to get a major sponsor and give the winner $1M or something. That'll bring it back.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2005, 03:20 PM
(c) Any player who, at the request of the NBA, voluntarily agrees to participate in an All-Star Skills Competition shall be required to attend and participate in such Skills Competition.

That means they still have to agree to be in the Dunk Contest.

Nothing has changed with that.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2005, 03:24 PM
They are required to play in the All-Star Game and the Rookie-Sophomore game if they are chosen. But they still have to VOLUNTARILY agree to be in the other competitions, then they are obligated.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Frankly I wouldn't miss the damn dunk contest if they just did away with it all together. Every year there's maybe one creative/spectacular dunk worth watching. The rest are just pale ripoffs of Nique and Jordan back in their hayday, and then the camera switches to whatever jackass celebrity panel the NBA assembled jumping around like a pack of chimps in heat, waving their little "10" signs around as though they were about to bust a nut even though they've already seen 12 dunks right before it that were just as worthless.

What I would like to see is the league put together a head to head competition between all the guys that were going to be in the dunk contest against the top five or six shot blockers in the league. Now that would be entertaining.

ALVAREZ6
08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Here's who I want in this season's duck contest: Lebron, Andre Iguodala, Josh Smith, and VC.

But chances are VC will never be in one again.

ALVAREZ6
08-26-2005, 03:33 PM
What I would like to see is the league put together a head to head competition between all the guys that were going to be in the dunk contest against the top five or six shot blockers in the league. Now that would be entertaining.
That would be awesome, but it would never happen.

It has injury written all over it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
That would be awesome, but it would never happen.

It has injury written all over it.

I know. If people are worried about tweaking an ankle during a routine dunk landing they probably aren't going to want to up the ante any. But something has to be done because the dunk contest has sucked ass for a while now.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-26-2005, 03:52 PM
The injury excuse is just that - an excuse.

Give those guys a breakaway in a game and they're looking to show off. They're less likely to get hurt in an exhibition than in a live game with people trying to stop them.

I'm with LJ. Get Sprite, Pepsi, whoever to pony up 1 mil to the winner, and get it on.

tlongII
08-26-2005, 06:38 PM
I think Gerald Green will be in the dunk contest.

ALVAREZ6
08-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I think Gerald Green will be in the dunk contest.
Oh yeah, that's right, forgot about him. He has good chances of being in it.

The high-flying rookies are always in it.

Dex
08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Players will be required to attend annual training sessoins on substance abuse awareness (the Carmelo Anthony Rule) , HIV awareness (the Magic Johnson Rule), gambling awareness (the Micheal Jordan Rule), media training (the Gregg Popovich Rule), and "the business of basketball." (the Isiah Thomas Rule)

Mixability
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
I want JRICH, Mason, LeBron, Gerald Green, Josh Smith, Amare/Nash, Francis,
and Manu

Manu? I don't think he has enough creativity. He needs either the entire Lakers or Suns team under the basket as props. :lol

Rescueone
08-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I think Manu wouldn't disappoint in the dunk contest. He had some crazy dunks over players last year that made me laugh my ass off and scream his name.

Medvedenko
08-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Manu is a good traffic dunker...not a highlight reel dunker like J rich or D Mason. I would prefer the latter if I was picking a team. Now, with that being said:

VC
Kobe
Lebron
Tmac
Jrich
There's my pick. Oh and the Birdman....