PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Byron Scott: "Not sure if Dwight is serious about winning"

djohn2oo8
10-27-2014, 06:56 PM
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard clashed during their one-season stint as Los Angeles Lakers teammates in 2012-13. And Byron Scott believes he knows why.

"My outside perspective is Kobe is a real serious guy and wants to win championships," Scott, the Lakers' first-year head coach, said after his team's practice at their facility Monday. "I don't know if Dwight is that serious about it. I know No. 24 is. I think that probably was the clash."

Scott's comments came on the eve of Howard's Houston Rockets facing Bryant's Lakers in both team's regular-season opener Tuesday at Staples Center.

Howard has faced the Lakers three times since joining the Rockets in July 2013, but because Bryant has missed those matchups because of injuries, Tuesday's game will mark the first time both players will face each other since Howard left Los Angeles.

Scott predicted that Howard would "love to beat the crap out of us."

Bryant said that Howard obviously would try to play well, but he dismissed the notion that the matchup meant more because of Howard's presence.

"Why would it?" Bryant asked, rhetorically.

Scott highlighted the main talking point used when dissecting why Bryant and Howard didn't mesh - Bryant is known as demanding, Howard as more playful.

Could they have overcome that difference? Scott wasn't sure.

"Probably so," Scott said. "I don't think there's one specific way that you can overcome it. I think there's probably a number of ways, but obviously both individuals have to be willing."

Last season, Bryant recalled "constant tension" with Howard.

"Dwight wanted to do it one way, which he felt was effective. I wanted to do it another way," Bryant said last November.

Lakers guard Jeremy Lin, who played with Howard and the Rockets last season, tried not to place blame on either side.

"One thing I have heard from both ends is (Howard) probably came back a little too early (from back surgery) and wasn't able to be himself," Lin added Monday. "Beyond that, I really don't know much of anything."

A recent ESPN The Magazine article quotes several agents and NBA personnel - including Lakers insiders - as saying that L.A. has been unable to attract top talent in free agency because players don't want to work with Bryant.

In the piece, a Lakers source was quoted as saying that Howard's issue with the Lakers was that "he saw one particular player play outside that scheme with carte blanche, with no accountability."

The source added: "These people who say Dwight couldn't handle the pressure of Los Angeles ... that's nonsense. L.A. was everything Dwight wanted. To be celebrated. To be among stars. To be among women of this caliber. To live, basically, in one big reality TV show. This was a perfect setting for him."

Howard left nearly $30 million on the table by departing the Lakers and signing with the Rockets as a free agent.

djohn2oo8
10-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Not sure why he'd say it out loud.

Fabbs
10-27-2014, 07:00 PM
:lmao Should lite a fire under Howards ass.
Will be interesting to see how he plays in this game.

:lol Scott deflecting with excuses for Kirby

Chris
10-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Howard looked really focused in preseason. He's going to surprise a lot of people this year now that he's fully healthy. Wouldn't be surprised if he went off in LA

Malik Hairston
10-27-2014, 07:11 PM
The Lakers' organization is really embarrassing itself with all this talk, tbh..

Jeannie Buss, Kobe, Byron Scott..just shut the fuck up and stop blaming people/calling people out:lol..wow..

spurraider21
10-27-2014, 07:14 PM
i agree. stop blaming others for your own failures. valuable life lesson imo :lol

spurraider21
10-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Culburn is that you lurking? :wow

Silver&Black
Dwight got the hell away from Kirby as fast as he could....

That's the 1st step in becoming "serious about winning" tbh....

Malik Hairston
Henry Abott really rattled their entire organization, it's crazy..

Venti Quattro
10-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Just because :lol Byron Scott :lol is saying it doesn't make it less true

RsxPiimp
10-27-2014, 08:48 PM
no reason to say shit like this a day before the opening tip. howard is gonna put up monster numbers tomorrow and scott is gonna look like an idiot once again

DPG21920
10-27-2014, 08:53 PM
So they begged a guy to stay that they think is a loser. Makes sense.

scanry
10-27-2014, 09:31 PM
This is just embarrassing. Harden's gonna feed Howard to death tbh.

Infinite_limit
10-27-2014, 10:17 PM
So they begged a guy to stay that they think is a loser. Makes sense.
Haha

Howard mentally seems like the average NBA player to me. Not the biggest killer but not a Mello either.

UZER
10-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Has Byron Scott every had ten kids by ten different women?

Then he can't speak for Dwight Howard

Sincerely,

Black people

ElNono
10-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Is Scott serious about winning, tbh?

TDMVPDPOY
10-27-2014, 10:50 PM
1 guy chasing rings
1 guy chasing baby count

nothing to see here

mkurts
10-28-2014, 12:56 AM
I am so glad Kobe will put the Lakers in another few seasons of mediocrity.

King Nupe
10-28-2014, 08:27 AM
i agree. stop blaming others for your own failures. valuable life lesson imo :lol

We have 16 championships, and 2 in the last 5 years. What failures are you talking about fool?

spurraider21
10-28-2014, 09:45 AM
What failures are you talking about fool?
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/files/2013/06/lakers_billboard_stayd12_dwight_howard_062713b.jpg

http://imguol.com/blogs/31/files/2013/11/kobe11.jpg

http://nbaarena.com/img/haberler/lakers-team-2014.jpg

Spur-Addict
10-28-2014, 10:18 AM
:lmao Should lite a fire under Howards ass.
Will be interesting to see how he plays in this game.

:lol Scott deflecting with excuses for Kirby

:lol Seriously, everyone has an excuse for this guy.

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2014, 10:27 AM
:lol Seriously, everyone has an excuse for this guy.

scott scared being bent over shown 6

da_suns_fan
10-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Dwight just didnt want to kiss Kobe's ass the way Scott does.

ambchang
10-28-2014, 11:41 AM
The way the Lakers organization comes out on the defensive (and barely anyone outside the Lakers organization doing it) makes the Abbott article more believable.

Jackson and Melo were the only two outside of the Lakers organization who chimed in on the subject, and both of them were not overly directly in their rebuttal (One is "go get them Flea", which could be interpreted either way, the other one is "I didn't chose the Lakers not because of Kobe").

Jeannie Buss went all crazy in the interview like some jilted lover, Scott is going on a personal attack of Howard despite Howard not saying a thing, Kobe going all defensive at the get go.

Not sure who the Lakers PR guy is, but s/he is not doing a good job containing this rumor, and in fact, is adding fuel to the fire.

The Gemini Method
10-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Not sure a team of our magnitude (this year is minimal, I know) should be opening their mouths. We sound like the fucking Jets at the moment. There is no need to be heard because we'll be lucky to finish in any way, shape, or form to a playoff contender this year. If so, it will be a miracle beyond reproach. However, this team needs to exert self-control in what it spews. We're better than that--the legacy of the Lakers will always be remembered. But looking foolish by giving a person who knows very little about basketball (Jim Buss) support and coming out lambasting other players when its nigh time to let go of the hurt is stupid. I usually by a few tickets to go see the Lakeshow but this year I'm going to just attend a game on a whim or if I come into a free pair from work.

Killakobe81
10-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Not sure a team of our magnitude (this year is minimal, I know) should be opening their mouths. We sound like the fucking Jets at the moment. There is no need to be heard because we'll be lucky to finish in any way, shape, or form to a playoff contender this year. If so, it will be a miracle beyond reproach. However, this team needs to exert self-control in what it spews. We're better than that--the legacy of the Lakers will always be remembered. But looking foolish by giving a person who knows very little about basketball (Jim Buss) support and coming out lambasting other players when its nigh time to let go of the hurt is stupid. I usually by a few tickets to go see the Lakeshow but this year I'm going to just attend a game on a whim or if I come into a free pair from work.

I agree not a good look. but let's be fair, Scott was doing a presser and was asked the question by the media. It wasnt like he went out of his way unprovoked t slam Dwight. or on a PR trail like Jeannie. I did not like what she said either (or maybe her word choice) but she was trying to stick up for her organization. I try to attend a game at least once a year here (DFW) but may not do so we shall see. I want to see Randle and although I have seen Kobe many times one of the last chances for my son to see him could be this year ...Like you have low expectations and really hope we keep our pick rather than make playoffs. gonna be tough to outsuck the real tankers, but the early injuries help. And although I dont blame Jimbo for everything a bad season accelerates "his clock". I dont want a quick fix or to overpay non stars. ride out this season and keep making pitches at real stars save the cap space if they dont come now for future years.

The Gemini Method
10-28-2014, 01:04 PM
I agree not a good look. but let's be fair, Scott was doing a presser and was asked the question by the media. It wasnt like he went out of his way unprovoked t slam Dwight. or on a PR trail like Jeannie. I did not like what she said either (or maybe her word choice) but she was trying to stick up for her organization. I try to attend a game at least once a year here (DFW) but may not do so we shall see. I want to see Randle and although I have seen Kobe many times one of the last chances for my son to see him could be this year ...Like you have low expectations and really hope we keep our pick rather than make playoffs. gonna be tough to outsuck the real tankers, but the early injuries help. And although I dont blame Jimbo for everything a bad season accelerates "his clock". I dont want a quick fix or to overpay non stars. ride out this season and keep making pitches at real stars save the cap space if they dont come now for future years.

Good points. I'll go to a game for sure to catch Randle and catch Kobe for perhaps one of the last games he'll play here. Also, my lady friend is a huge fan so she'll go no matter what and that means I'll probably have to attend, too. In the NBA, it is probably better to tank (at least until the 76er rule comes in...) than to be stuck in lower to meddling mediocrity. I hope they build this team through the draft and save cap room. I don't know if Jim Buss has that capability or that Kupchak has it in him to orchestrate such moves. Either way, it's going to be a long season. All I can hope for is they shut up and play hard.

Killakobe81
10-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Good points. I'll go to a game for sure to catch Randle and catch Kobe for perhaps one of the last games he'll play here. Also, my lady friend is a huge fan so she'll go no matter what and that means I'll probably have to attend, too. In the NBA, it is probably better to tank (at least until the 76er rule comes in...) than to be stuck in lower to meddling mediocrity. I hope they build this team through the draft and save cap room. I don't know if Jim Buss has that capability or that Kupchak has it in him to orchestrate such moves. Either way, it's going to be a long season. All I can hope for is they shut up and play hard.

agreed. Although I am still not a Dwight fan with cap going up and his improved health we really screwed up not trading him before the deadline. Even if a first round pick was best we could have gotten would be better than what we have now which is nada. I dont like him but Im done with knocking him unless brought up by someone else or it's something specific to his lack of post game or such ... he was right about Nash breaking down and even Kobe has to prove he wasnt right about him too ...Still dont like him but dont blame him for his decision to leave.. I just think he lacks something the best franchise players do, but we shall see. Glad he is healthy we can really see if he ever realizes his full potential.

Having a woman that loves the Lakers is a blessing. May not pay off now but when we are good again it will be worth it.

Medvedenko
10-28-2014, 01:18 PM
The only reason for Scott to say anything is to motivate his own team. By calling Dwight out it will surely get him fired up, which as Scott hopes his players knowingly will match. For a team searching for an identity, win or lose I approve of this method.

The Gemini Method
10-28-2014, 01:28 PM
agreed. Although I am still not a Dwight fan with cap going up and his improved health we really screwed up not trading him before the deadline. Even if a first round pick was best we could have gotten would be better than what we have now which is nada. I dont like him but Im done with knocking him unless brought up by someone else or it's something specific to his lack of post game or such ... he was right about Nash breaking down and even Kobe has to prove he wasnt right about him too ...Still dont like him but dont blame him for his decision to leave.. I just think he lacks something the best franchise players do, but we shall see. Glad he is healthy we can really see if he ever realizes his full potential.

Having a woman that loves the Lakers is a blessing. May not pay off now but when we are good again it will be worth it.

I wasn't one to begrudge what Dwight did--he wanted to be lead dog and in this town (as of right now...) you can't be that with Kobe still in the mix. I kind of felt it was a one year thing and though he left I fully knew that this is a business and players generally leave your team. Dwight deserves to be happy wherever he is and he seems to genuinely like it in Crutch City. Yeah, she is a blessing although her sister is a longtime Clipper supporter--it is always nice to catch the cross-the-hallway battles.

StrengthAndHonor
10-28-2014, 01:49 PM
The way the Lakers organization comes out on the defensive (and barely anyone outside the Lakers organization doing it) makes the Abbott article more believable.

Jackson and Melo were the only two outside of the Lakers organization who chimed in on the subject
Ramon Sessions and Paul George already made it public citing Abbott's article was a a lie and a reach.

spurraider21
10-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Ramon Sessions and Paul George already made it public citing Abbott's article was a a lie and a reach.
how would paul george or ramon sessions know? if people told abbott that they dont want to play with kobe, how the fuck would george/sessions know who he was referring to, or how would they know that it isnt what abbott was told?

its possible they personally disagree with the article, but that doesn't mean is was refuted or full of lies

ambchang
10-28-2014, 02:17 PM

And yet neither signed with the Lakers to play with Kobe given the chance.

Especially Sessions, who actively got the same or even smaller role on a worse team. His defense was more for himself than for Kobe.

George also didn't sign with the Lakers, or even seriously considered them, and his tweet was hardly defending anyone, he simply said "How crazy was that story" was something like that.

Players are aware of their cred, and if they come out and said I don't want to play for Kobe, a huge number of Laker/Kobe fans will come in and rip them apart saying they are not about winning and soft (although Kobe's action the last few years was anything BUT about winning). They also do not want to close the door to the Lakers in the future by outright saying the article was true, and that none of them came out and said the assertions were flat out lies and that the entire article was made up with nothing to back it up. Nobody outside the Lakers organization came out swinging like Buss or Scott, and it just adds to the credibility of the report.

On the other hand, Jeanie Buss and Scott came out swinging with very questionable choice of words had "cover up" written all over it.

Killakobe81
10-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Probably not a lie but definitely a reach. Of course Amb will treat it as gospel he and Henry preach the same gospel ....

ambchang
10-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Probably not a lie but definitely a reach. Of course Amb will treat it as gospel he and Henry preach the same gospel ....

I am skeptical of abbott's article, not because of the reach in content but the lack of named sources.

The Kobe effect is pretty obvious though. Players use to flock to the lakers ba use of the city, the history of the franchise, the women, and the endorsement opportunities, but there has been an alarming lack of that the last few years. A player of Dwight's stature actually decided to leave money on the table and go to Houston. Lebron didn't even seriously looked at the lakers while melo and George turned down the offers and stayed with their home teams (likely due to the larger contract).

You put 2 and 2 together in this case, and this is pretty much the only conclusion

StrengthAndHonor
10-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Paul George was never an option. He was a RFA, and would not leave the Pacers for les smoney. Lebron James was never an option. He was not going to leave Miami for the Lakers. It doesn't fit his "Coming Home" narrative after winning his titles with the Heat. Melo was an option, but he was not going to leave a huge amount of money for a team who is essentially on another rebuilding path. He was the leading star in New York, there is no need to play a co-starring role at this stage of his career.

It was irresponsible for Abbot as a journalist to completely disregard some of the truth behind each players respective decision. Dwight was the only player who openly stated he couldn't play with Kobe, but we all know Howard's mental capacity isn't his strongest trait. Shaq and Kobe made it work, Howard quit when he realized disagreement is tantamount to winning when you play with Kobe.

Bean has been a difficult player to deal with. It's been well documented for almost 2 decades now guys, so none of this should come as ground breaking. But you can't use an article filled with inaccuracies and unnamed sources as the holy grail of your rebuttal.

pgardn
10-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Scott is not deft enough to avoid all the middle school drama...

He is, A LAKER.

ambchang
10-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Paul George was never an option. He was a RFA, and would not leave the Pacers for les smoney. Lebron James was never an option. He was not going to leave Miami for the Lakers. It doesn't fit his "Coming Home" narrative after winning his titles with the Heat. Melo was an option, but he was not going to leave a huge amount of money for a team who is essentially on another rebuilding path. He was the leading star in New York, there is no need to play a co-starring role at this stage of his career.

It was irresponsible for Abbot as a journalist to completely disregard some of the truth behind each players respective decision. Dwight was the only player who openly stated he couldn't play with Kobe, but we all know Howard's mental capacity isn't his strongest trait. Shaq and Kobe made it work, Howard quit when he realized disagreement is tantamount to winning when you play with Kobe.

Bean has been a difficult player to deal with. It's been well documented for almost 2 decades now guys, so none of this should come as ground breaking. But you can't use an article filled with inaccuracies and unnamed sources as the holy grail of your rebuttal.

The significance of the article is not that it how's something we ne'er thought of, it's just that it's the first article by a major sports outlet who actually wrote the article.

Players who want to go to the lakers make it work. From forcing a trade (Kareem), declaring early (magic) to tampering (shaq), the lakers and the players make it work.

I don't trust the article in its entirety, because there are some highly suspect "quotes", but where there's smoke there's fire.

Dwight's the first and only one who stated his displeasure of working with Kobe, and he didn't even go that hard t it, and see how his image took a huge hit. Other players learn about it and keep their mouths shut.