PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green 2.0?

Chinook
10-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Every year, the Spurs seem to start off by trying to get Danny to score more from inside the arch.

In 2011, he actually wasn't stereotyped as a shooter and had a lot of opportunities as a ball-handler.

In 2012, the Spurs went through a stretch of games where the first play the game would be a back-door cut by Green.

In 2013, Green ran Parker's role in The Loop, and he'd get shots from the short corner.

This year, the Spurs have added an option to The Loop in which Green (so far it's only been him in this option) passes to Duncan for a give-and-go leading to a shot on the elbow or in the short corner. They also seem to be encouraging Danny to pull up off the dribble after running a hPnR instead of driving or making the pocket pass.

Will this attempt to incorporate Green inside the three-point line be more successful that the previous three attempts? The point of this thread is to keep track of Danny's progress in that regard. As we saw in Game Three of the Finals, a Green who is reliable from two pretty much breaks most defenses. As evidenced by Danny's three turnovers tonight, he's going to have to adjust to making harder passes and knowing when to create for others and when to try to get his.

DPG21920
10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
It was a wrinkle they added in last year with some success. When Danny looks up and evaluates the situation properly (meaning, if there's traffic, pull up, if not then proceed) he did very well IIRC. His pull up from 2 off a little 1-2 dribble was becoming much more effective.

Chinook
10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
I thought this game was a pretty decent success in that regard. Danny didn't force things, and he took the shots he needed to. If anything, he should have shot more when he had the ball instead of panicking and making poor passes. No one is going to respect his drive, so he's going to need to score more to open up lanes for his teammates.

ElNono
10-28-2014, 10:55 PM
I still cringe when he puts the ball on the floor... but any improvement is a blessing, especially right now that we're shorthanded.

Chinook
10-28-2014, 10:56 PM
It was a wrinkle they added in last year with some success. When Danny looks up and evaluates the situation properly (meaning, if there's traffic, pull up, if not then proceed) he did very well IIRC. His pull up from 2 off a little 1-2 dribble was becoming much more effective.

Yeah, that was part of the 2013 DG2.0 attempt. But eventually, Danny's shot fell off and he got benched. After he got back into the first unit, his three-pointer was back, so I think the Spurs kind of gave up on the attempt for the year.

Sean Cagney
10-28-2014, 10:57 PM
I still cringe when he puts the ball on the floor... but any improvement is a blessing, especially right now that we're shorthanded.

^^ This.

exstatic
10-28-2014, 11:00 PM
So, if this is the 4th time they do this(2011-2014), shouldn't this thread be called Danny Green 4.0?

SupremeGuy
10-28-2014, 11:00 PM
They're asking him to do more right now cause we're shorthanded, tbh.

z0sa
10-28-2014, 11:03 PM

yeah, Im pretty sure Tim Duncan has better handles than Dannyboy

BatManu20
10-28-2014, 11:03 PM
I hope it sticks cause it makes him not so one-dimensional. That mid-range game can be a great weapon.

pgardn
10-28-2014, 11:11 PM

Amazing phenomena that a guard can be such a poor ball handler yet so valuable.
Props to pop.

Mr. Body
10-28-2014, 11:18 PM
I like him putting the ball on the floor. The pressure on the defense is a big part of why this system works, and he often does good things with it.

Chinook
10-28-2014, 11:30 PM
So, if this is the 4th time they do this(2011-2014), shouldn't this thread be called Danny Green 4.0?

That'd be 5.0 (as 2009-2010 Green was 1.0). The point of the thread was that the Spurs have consistently tried to make Danny more versatile, but it just never sticks beyond a few flashes toward the beginning of the year. I'd call the previous years betas or snap shots. Hopefully this Green sticks and Leonard sees a similar expanded role in the offense.

wildchild
10-28-2014, 11:33 PM

Well, I thought the same but now I'm not sure. We saw some of those attempts in the scrimmage (no Tiago and Patty but at least Leonard played that night) and in the preseasons games.
It would be great if Danny can improve offensively, we won't sign an amazing FA SG scorer next summer, so without Tim/Manu the Spurs'll need some perimeter scoring explosion.

Chinook
10-28-2014, 11:38 PM

I don't think so. The Spurs still have Manu and Beli to score from the wings. If anyone needs to pick up their offense, it would be Joseph, but Cory is who he is at this point. I think the team is more trying to get a Green package together so they can break it out when they need to. You had that game against the Suns last year where Danny took over in the middle quarters to bring the Spurs back. A lot of the baskets he got during that game were off plays they had run in October and November but hadn't run since. Also, Green being able to bump up his scoring to 13ppg would be a huge boon for the team, especially projecting into the post-Duncan era.

SupremeGuy
10-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Gotta keep his stats low for his inevitable FA though :cry

Hoops Czar
10-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Whatever happened to Danny Green, the Monta Ellis stopper?

Chinook
10-29-2014, 12:32 AM

No Splitter to help contain the PnR. Duncan tried, but Ellis just kept blowing past him. Green started going under screens and trying to close out, but he wasn't fast enough. Also, Danny just had a bunch of brain farts.

SupremeGuy
10-29-2014, 12:39 AM
Whatever happened to Danny Green, the Monta Ellis stopper?We won bitch? Apparently we stopped him enough.

Hoops Czar
10-29-2014, 12:48 AM
We won bitch? Apparently we stopped him enough.

No, I'm not a female dog. No to stopping Monta Ellis even a little bit. Even his misses were good looks. Yes, no harm no foul because the spurs won. Not quite what I expected from the best defender on the Spurs. He'll have to match his defensive efficiency with his offensive efficiency going forward because he's to important to the defense to take nights off.

SupremeGuy
10-29-2014, 12:56 AM
We literally played our first game of the season without two of our starters, and won against a strong opponent. Our team defense will improve when we have our full rotation. Ellis gets in a groove sometimes and nothing can change that. Same as any other player in the NBA getting hot. Not a big deal, tbh.

BanditHiro
10-29-2014, 01:02 AM

he stopped him...most of Ellis scoring came when Green was on the bench.

Malik Hairston
10-29-2014, 01:05 AM
:lmao how does Hoops Czar have the audacity to return to this forum after his historically bad year of takes last season, tbh?:lmao..

Hoops Czar
10-29-2014, 01:34 AM
:lmao how does Hoops Czar have the audacity to return to this forum after his historically bad year of takes last season, tbh?:lmao..

Tbh, your take about Lebron staying in Miami, which was overshadowed by your very own self proclaimed sources might go down as one of the worst takes in Spurstalk history. It's right up there with Deadly Dynasty's post saying the Bills were going to win the super bowl two years ago. When is your TimmyToZo troll going to make another guest appearance? Let me guess, you, I mean, he's still on vacation. Oh, the Audacity.... Cleveland isn't exactly South Beach but take it from somebody who spent a full year there, you'll get use to it in time. Oh, and that distinct Cleveland smell you'll come across is primarily a mix of Factory Waste, Marijuana Smoke, and Gunpowder. There is also a hint of decaying bodies, Burning Rivers, Crack Smoke, Alcohol, Rat Poison, and Rabid Dogs. You should fit right in. Good luck to you and god speed.

Kool Bob Love
10-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Tbh, your take about Lebron staying in Miami, which was overshadowed by your very own self proclaimed sources might go down as one of the worst takes in Spurstalk history. It's right up there with Deadly Dynasty's post saying the Bills were going to win the super bowl two years ago. When is your TimmyToZo troll going to make another guest appearance? Let me guess, you, I mean, he's still on vacation. Oh, the Audacity.... Cleveland isn't exactly South Beach but take it from somebody who spent a full year there, you'll get use to it in time. Oh, and that distinct Cleveland smell you'll come across is primarily a mix of Factory Waste, Marijuana Smoke, and Gunpowder. There is also a hint of decaying bodies, Burning Rivers, Crack Smoke, Alcohol, Rat Poison, and Rabid Dogs. You should fit right in. Good luck to you and god speed.

let em know how you really feel. Damn.:rollin

SupremeGuy
10-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Tbh, your take about Lebron staying in Miami, which was overshadowed by your very own self proclaimed sources might go down as one of the worst takes in Spurstalk history. It's right up there with Deadly Dynasty's post saying the Bills were going to win the super bowl two years ago. When is your TimmyToZo troll going to make another guest appearance? Let me guess, you, I mean, he's still on vacation. Oh, the Audacity.... Cleveland isn't exactly South Beach but take it from somebody who spent a full year there, you'll get use to it in time. Oh, and that distinct Cleveland smell you'll come across is primarily a mix of Factory Waste, Marijuana Smoke, and Gunpowder. There is also a hint of decaying bodies, Burning Rivers, Crack Smoke, Alcohol, Rat Poison, and Rabid Dogs. You should fit right in. Good luck to you and god speed.http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=18403&dateline=1412300993

MI21
10-29-2014, 02:03 AM
Hoops Czar is obviously a troll with limited exposure to Basketball. Respect him for what he is and his ability to get under the skin of posters. :tu Hoops Czar

Hoops Czar
10-29-2014, 02:12 AM
Hoops Czar is obviously a troll with limited exposure to Basketball. Respect him for what he is and his ability to get under the skin of posters. :tu Hoops Czar

If your asking me if I have a life and a career... I do indeed. You should try it. :bobo

100%duncan
10-29-2014, 03:16 AM
The best thing about DG is he doesnt need to improve anymore. You already got a guy that will help you bring a chip in the table. Everything is gravy tbh