PDA

View Full Version : 'Death In The Garden'

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Pretty stunning shots. Especially when you think of how out in the open it was.

-----

http://www.bostonherald.com/galleries/?title=overdose#photo

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/791066_082505overdosejw02.jpg

Death in the Garden: Pal dies after junkies shoot up in plain sight
By John Wilcox
Friday, August 26, 2005 - Updated: 07:14 AM EST

I can't believe I saw him die right in front of me.
I had just parked on Charles Street yesterday afternoon for a photo assignment at the Public Garden when I noticed three guys inside the park sitting in an oddly tight circle.
I had my camera on the seat next to me, so I took a look through the telephoto lens. One of the men was tightening a belt around his upper arm. Then I saw the needle.
I started taking pictures.
I couldn't believe they were sitting there in broad daylight in one of the most beautiful places in Boston, shooting heroin. Families were walking by on both sides of them. Kids. A little girl walked by with a sun umbrella.
One of the men slumped backward onto the grass. At the time, I thought he had only passed out from the jolt of smack.
I found a manager at the Swan Boats dock and reported what I had seen. He said junkies had been an ongoing problem in the park and he'd call somebody.
I went on to my assignment to photograph the Sept. 11 memorial in the park. On the way back to my car, I found a group of EMTs, firefighters and park rangers huddled over the man I had seen pass out.
At the park, I went over and told Ranger Lt. Reginald Sampson I had digital pictures of the men shooting up. Sampson recognized one of the men as a bystander.
He immediately cuffed the man and searched him. That man – whom police later identified as Jose Luis Hidalgo, 40 – was later charged with possession of a Class A substance and possession of hypodermic needle. Police were still looking for the third man last night, and the drug overdose victim was not immediately identified.
The men I photographed in the park yesterday didn't look like back-alley junkies. They were clean and dressed like working people. One of them was wearing a roofing company shirt.
I watched the CPR go on for at least 10 minutes. I knew the man, whose name hadn't been released last night, wasn't going to make it.
He was pronounced dead a few blocks away at New England Medical Center as the swan boats full of smiling families and tourists paddled on.
Hub drug-abuse deaths, the vast majority of them due to heroin overdoses, soared 44 percent between 2002 and 2003 as the city reeled from state substance abuse budget cuts, according to the Boston Public Health Commission.
``This is a very unfortunate example of the scourge of drugs on our society,'' said Mayor Thomas Menino's spokesman, Seth Gitell. ``It is a public park, open to all, but the police always strive to keep it as safe as possible.''

Kip Fanatic
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Home of the Red Sox. What did you expect?

batman2883
08-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Red Sox rule!!!

The sone
08-26-2005, 10:45 PM
da smack will do that to ya brutha...Roaches in the ice cream! roaches in the ice cream!!! :p

Trainwreck2100
08-26-2005, 10:55 PM
He just "happened" to have his camera, bs, he prob set the whole thing up.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-26-2005, 10:57 PM
He just "happened" to have his camera, bs, he prob set the whole thing up.

Good point, I can't imagine why a photojournalist would carry a camera around with them.

Trainwreck2100
08-26-2005, 10:58 PM
spiderman sets up his own photos

Samr
08-27-2005, 06:03 AM
He said he was there to take pictures of the 9/11 Monument, I think. I know he mentioned something about being there on a different assignment.

I was just surprised at how close he got. You'd think the cops would shew him away from a dieing/dead man and stop him from taking pictures. You'd also think the families would have something against the last moments of that guy's life (which, coincidentally, were shooting heroin) being so openly displayed on the internet.

It just seems like there are some privacy issues with it.

But then again, this is 2005. Americans have no privacy.

I wonder who is watching me type this.....great......now you fvckers got me paranoid.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-27-2005, 09:15 AM
He said he was there to take pictures of the 9/11 Monument, I think. I know he mentioned something about being there on a different assignment.

I was just surprised at how close he got. You'd think the cops would shew him away from a dieing/dead man and stop him from taking pictures. You'd also think the families would have something against the last moments of that guy's life (which, coincidentally, were shooting heroin) being so openly displayed on the internet.

It just seems like there are some privacy issues with it.

But then again, this is 2005. Americans have no privacy.

I wonder who is watching me type this.....great......now you fvckers got me paranoid.

I think the family should have a bigger problem with their relative doing smack than whether or not a photo is taken and placed online/on the front page.

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/957272_front08262005.jpg

But this family apparently might not have a problem with it as evidenced by this follow-up.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=99835

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/thumbnails/37589_frontpageSM.jpg

With regard to your privacy comment, the first three photos were taken with a telephoto lens and of an act in a public place. What privacy is being violated?

I can't argue about the second set of shots. Things like that are up to the individual officers, I guess. Although I will say that I don't believe that photojournalist was doing it to violate privacy, but more to tell a story.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=99833

Herald photographer questions role in overdose
By John Wilcox
Saturday, August 27, 2005 - Updated: 08:50 AM EST

After reading comments on the Herald's Web site, I quickly realized yesterday that some people now resent me for taking a picture of a man dying of an overdose in the Public Garden.
So I was relieved to hear from the father of the dead man, John P. Gagliardi Jr. If anyone has a right to be outraged it's him.
He wasn't.
``John, I've been wanting to talk to you,'' he said. ``I wanted to say I could tell from the tone of your story (in yesterday's Herald), you care about what you were doing there. . . . If you hadn't have taken those pictures we wouldn't have known where our son was today.''
He sounded sad. He said his 42-year-old son was loved in his Medford community. He was a good kid. His family loved him.
I spent last night turning it over in my head, questioning my own role in John's final moments.
In my line of work, you're always looking for something out of the ordinary. I walk through the Public Garden at least once a week. It certainly caught my eye when I saw three guys shooting up.
Even when I was taking the pictures I knew they had families, people who cared about them. But while I was there, a lot of people walked by and didn't notice them, like they were invisible almost.
Maybe people don't want to see them.

As I've argued in many a media ethics thread, I believe this is solely up to the newspaper's staff and their perception of their readers. The Herald is not the mainstream paper of Boston, which means it probably has a base of readers who read multiple papers and decipher events for themselves.

Our regional papers probably would not have run the photos the way they did (save for the Austin American-Statesman and I would venture the SA and Austin weeklies). Hell, I wonder if WE (The University Star) would run something like that if we had photos of it in The Quad.

Like it or not, though, what Wilcox did WAS journalism. He didn't interject his thoughts on drug policy into the shots, he didn't interject morality into his shots. He DID visually document his/the reader's world and let them decide.